Helpful ReplyHot!"The Canadians Are Coming, The Canadians Are Coming! Hide the Cheese Curds and Beer!"

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6560
2019/05/08 18:28:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/05/08 21:05:01

"The Canadians Are Coming, The Canadians Are Coming! Hide the Cheese Curds and Beer!"

The Canadians Are Coming, The Canadians Are Coming!  Hide the Cheese Curds and Beer!

As mentioned above, our dear Canubian friends, nagle & Wawa Mama, will be in Chicago May 24th-26th.  In addition to showing them around some of the darker corners of our city, we're also planning a visit north of the Cheddar Curtain, probably on Sunday the 26th.

Compared to the planning that went into the Mpls/StP Crawl, this will be a fairly informal, seat of the pants, see where the four winds take us kind of event.  In Chicago, we're looking at Carnitas Uruapan Restaurant, Ed's Potsticker House, Charcoal Flame (up in north suburban Morton Grove, they serve authentic Greek Pork Gyros), Lawrence's Fish and Shrimp (The very first stop on the very first "official" Contingent Tour), Nottoli Italian Foods (a little family run market on the northwest side serving Italian Beef and Subs), Ricobene's (serving a secondary regionally appropriate Chicago specialty: Breaded Steak Sandwiches), La Unica Food Mart (Cuban Sandwiches and other delicacies in a grocery store), Sunset Pho Caffe for Vietnamese/Serb Fusion (Cevapcicci Spring Rolls, anyone?), a return to Pizza Y Pan Pa' Ya for Colombian Pizza and pastries, and tons of others, TBA.  Maybe a visit to Freddy's would draw a few CheeseHeads down our way, hmm?

Since we'll only have one day in Milwaukee, I thought we'd stick to the classics; McBob's, Glorioso's, Kopp's, Maria's, Nite Owl, Sobelman's, Wegner's St. Martin's Inn, etc.  Yeah, I know I'm missing a bunch, so reminders are welcome.

I'm thinking no more than 5-6 stops eating stops per day, plus other activities.  Seven stops per day in MSP was barely manageable.  We did it, but it took its toll.  If I know these danged Canadians, and I think I do, there might also be a nightcap or two involved.

Anyway, early planning is moving ahead.  Thoughts are always welcome.  Mark you calendars.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/08 22:31:19 (permalink)
Buddy,

We need to work on your definition of classics.

Jim
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 00:15:44 (permalink)
School me brother, I'm listening.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9092
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 08:18:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/05/09 13:33:40
BuddyRoadhouse
As mentioned above, our dear Canubian friends, nagle & Wawa Mama, will be in Chicago May 24th-26th.  In addition to showing them around some of the darker corners of our city, we're also planning a visit north of the Cheddar Curtain, probably on Sunday the 26th.

Mrs. C and I will be unable to participate on the 26th, unless the itinerary includes the Brewers-Phillies game or something at 5pm or later.  FYI, St. Martins Inn is closed Sundays.

Of course, if the WI leg of their trip was changed to Saturday we could do a Curd Crawl...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/05/09 09:35:26
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1009
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 09:50:59 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Welcome to The Br'ers, where they have both kinds of cuisine - Chinese and American!  I wonder if people driving by at night think there's rabbit on the menu.

Nice!

I haven't ruled out getting a steak at Ding Ho in September.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 10:07:45 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
School me brother, I'm listening.

Buddy

BR,

I can't argue with most of your choices, it just seems kind of burger-centric. Instead of St. Marten's Inn (the Cafe Stuga of fish fries) we could head to Stolley's for their superb fried fish sandwich. The Crafty Cow/Hot Head Chicken venue would give some non-burger options. There are also the other North Avenue stops that are prime for revisiting.

SC - Pre-game you can join us at McBob's. Post-game Maria's and Kopp's.

Jim

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 10:35:35 (permalink)
JRPfeff
SC - Pre-game you can join us at McBob's. Post-game Maria's and Kopp's.

McBob's probably depends on the weather, as if it's a nice day we'll want to tailgate before the game.  Besides, since the Miller Park parking lots are more open than McBob's the lingering aromas of the previous night's patrons' overindulgences will be greatly lessened.

Maria's after the game would work.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 12:38:35 (permalink)
Oooh, you're spot on correct about Stolley's; much better pick than Wegner's.  Regarding my "burger-centric" picks, only Nite Owl and Sobelman's fall exclusively into that category.  Kopp's doesn't necessarily need to be a Burger stop, although as soon as you walk in the door and smell those grilled onions, it's hard to resist.  Of course, I'd be eliminating one of them anyway, just for time and belly space consideration.  If you've got any better suggestions, I'm ready to make further adjustments.

Speed Queen?  Iron Grate?  Gotta get a Brat stop in there (that isn't The Brat Stop).

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 14:22:28 (permalink)
I really don't have any brat suggestions south of Sheboygan.

That was a really dumb statement. We received an offer from ScreamingChicken to join his tailgate party at Miller Park, bratwurst will almost certainly be on his menu. You really cannot get more Wisconsin, than that.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/05/09 14:37:17
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 15:25:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/09 19:28:07
JRPfeff
I really don't have any brat suggestions south of Sheboygan.
That was a really dumb statement. We received an offer from ScreamingChicken to join his tailgate party at Miller Park, bratwurst will almost certainly be on his menu. You really cannot get more Wisconsin, than that.

Just get me a head count by Friday the 24th so I know how many grills to bring.  I'll supply the brats if others bring chips, dip, salsa, potato salad, etc.  BYOB & BYOLC.

Oh, and it's $20/car to get into the lot.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 15:31:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/05/09 18:22:12
Could be fun.  But with just one day in Milwaukee for our guests, it could cut into all the other places they might want to visit.  I'll leave it up to them and let you know.

Buddy
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 18:22:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/09 19:27:49
We’re in! Thank you for the invite. We are looking forward to it.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 19:23:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/09 19:27:54
Roadhouses are in for six, including two foreigners who think we're going to a hockey game (match?).

So, a few questions from a novice tailgater:

1. What time should we be there?
2. Can we get into the parking lot without game tickets?
3. Are you able to block off a group of parking spaces, or do we park randomly and seek you out?
4. Once the game starts, is it an easy out of the lot, so we can go do other stuff?

Just a possible rundown for the day:

McBob's for Breakfast
Tailgating at Miller Park
Possible afternoon stops at Glorioso's, Nite Owl, Sobelman's, Speed Queen, Iron Grate and/or Stolley's (keep in mind, as good as Stolley's is, there's no Fish Fry on Sunday).  Other suggestions are welcome.
Finish the day with Pizza at Maria's and Kopp's Custard.

Specifically for ScreamingChicken: Is there a limit as to how many you can accommodate for this extravaganza?  Mrs. Roadhouse is thinking about posting this to The Contingent's FB page for those who no longer closely follow Roadfood.  I don't want to put you in an awkward spot, so if this will be too much, please say so.

Of course, all are welcome to join us at all other stops during the day.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 19:35:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BuddyRoadhouse 2019/05/09 19:58:50
BuddyRoadhouse

2. Can we get into the parking lot without game tickets?
3. Are you able to block off a group of parking spaces, or do we park randomly and seek you out?
4. Once the game starts, is it an easy out of the lot, so we can go do other stuff?

Here's an attempt at the answers.

1. About the time Brad removes the brats from the grill.
2. Yes, just pay for parking. Alternatively, I think you can Uber into the parking lot.
3. Nope, we will be scattered everywhere and have to seek out the Chicken.
4. Leaving should not be a problem.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/09 20:00:03 (permalink)
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouse

Here's an attempt at the answers.

1. About the time Brad removes the brats from the grill.

And what time will that be?

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 09:28:49 (permalink)
Some logistics to consider before we get too far into this:

It will probably be difficult to *leave* the parking lot before the game starts because most cars get blocked in by the tailgating activities, which involve grills, tables, chairs, coolers, pop-up canopies, cornhole boards, etc.  And no, you can't just park wherever you want - you follow the directions of the parking personnel or risk their wrath.  It might be better to find street parking on Bluemound or one of the side streets (but many don't allow parking on game days), or in the $5 lot at the church on the north side of Bluemound just east of Hawley and walk to the lot (no charge to enter on foot).
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 10:38:44 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Some logistics to consider before we get too far into this:

It will probably be difficult to *leave* the parking lot before the game starts because most cars get blocked in by the tailgating activities, which involve grills, tables, chairs, coolers, pop-up canopies, cornhole boards, etc.  And no, you can't just park wherever you want - you follow the directions of the parking personnel or risk their wrath.  It might be better to find street parking on Bluemound or one of the side streets (but many don't allow parking on game days), or in the $5 lot at the church on the north side of Bluemound just east of Hawley and walk to the lot (no charge to enter on foot).

It seems like you are trying to keep those from across the border away from your tailgate event. So when did you develop this aversion to Illinoisans?
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 272
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 10:59:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/10 11:17:04
Brad, what lot will you be parked in? It all depends on this.

Uber/Lyft will definitely be the way to go for those not attending the game, depending on what lot you're going to . The drop off is on the southeast side of the stadium, across the sidewalk from the Sausage Haus/Miller preferred lot, so that's about a 3 minute walk. The Uecker/Yount lots are to the  right, a 5 or 10 minute walk depending.

If Brad's parked in the Brewers/Braves lots off Bluemound that's quite a hoof from the rideshare drop off and you're better off parking on or near Bluemound and walking in that way.

Once the game starts there are still 1000s of people tailgating and exiting the parking lot via car won't be quick and easy.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 11:14:17 (permalink)
JRPfeff
It seems like you are trying to keep those from across the border away from your tailgate event. So when did you develop this aversion to Illinoisans?

This is actually a courtesy to those from north of the border.  If the attendees were all from the south I'd tell them nothing and then laugh hysterically when they realized they were going to be stuck until 1:30 or later.

Gyp
If Brad's parked in the Brewers/Braves lots off Bluemound that's quite a hoof from the rideshare drop off and you're better off parking on or near Bluemound and walking in that way.

We use the Molitor Lot off of Bluemound and Yount Drive, bordered to the south and east by 94 and 175.  And close to Story Hill BKC, too.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 11:19:19 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Gyp

We use the Molitor Lot off of Bluemound and Yount Drive, bordered to the south and east by 94 and 175.  And close to Story Hill BKC, too.

Is that near Antetokounmpo Alley?
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 11:33:56 (permalink)
OK, then the easiest access on foot to the Molitor Lot is to park at or in the vicinity of the church lot near Hawley and Bluemound as you said earlier. You’re looking at about a one mile walk each way, 20 minutes or so.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 11:42:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/05/14 07:12:40
Gyp
OK, then the easiest access on foot to the Molitor Lot is to park at or in the vicinity of the church lot near Hawley and Bluemound as you said earlier. You’re looking at about a one mile walk each way, 20 minutes or so.

That rules out attendance by #FitnessProfessionals.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 14:30:08 (permalink)
We'll probably do our shopping for chips, guac, etc. at Cermak's just down the road.  We can leave our cars in their lot and ride-share (gotta check with abe_froeman to make sure she has an Uber or Lyft app) to Yount Drive, as close as possible to ChickenBoy's tailgate, then just walk into the lot.  Same for getting back to our cars later.

Worst case scenario, we drive up as close as possible to the Molitor lot, drop off our passengers, then only one or two people need to find outside parking and walk back.

Any reason either of those options won't work?

Buddy
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 15:51:20 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
We'll probably do our shopping for chips, guac, etc. at Cermak's just down the road.  We can leave our cars in their lot and ride-share (gotta check with abe_froeman to make sure she has an Uber or Lyft app) to Yount Drive, as close as possible to ChickenBoy's tailgate, then just walk into the lot.  Same for getting back to our cars later.

Worst case scenario, we drive up as close as possible to the Molitor lot, drop off our passengers, then only one or two people need to find outside parking and walk back.

Any reason either of those options won't work?

Buddy

Best and 2nd best options IMO.
I think I'm free that day and could probably provide shuttle assistance for the first leg of the trip.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 16:09:48 (permalink)
Very kind of you, Gyp.  I'll pick up a couple extra cold ones for your tip.  Just specify brand and variety.

Also, abe_froeman has a Lyft app, but not sure if it works.  If so, we'll have multiple options.  Just need FlamingChicken to confirm a start time and we can coordinate.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 16:13:37 (permalink)
Jeff,

Are you game for McBob's before the tailgate? The timing may be about right.

Jim
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 16:28:59 (permalink)
Jim,
McBob's is definitely part of the pre-tailgate plan.  Once ScreamingChicken gives us a firm start time, we can back time it from there, and figure out how many in our party (Gyp?).  Need to leave time to get to Cermak's, grab some victuals and liquid refreshment, then shuttle/Uber/Lyft over to the Molitor Lot.

Buddy
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/10 16:46:11 (permalink)
I have to take a look at the itinerary here.
Cermak is only about two miles from my house so that works well.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/11 08:34:03 (permalink)
The lot will open at 10:10 that morning (3 hours before game time) and we'll be one of the first cars in line, so 10:45 would be a good time to get there.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Contingent spontaneous/casual/unthemed events 2019/05/11 12:14:04 (permalink)
10:45 is very doable. Moreso if beer & groceries are purchased before McBob's.

Want some corned beef at the tailgate Brad?
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5