The Choripán and Chimichurri

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1207
2017/04/12 20:43:03 (permalink)

The Choripán and Chimichurri

Chimichurri, that ubiquitous Argentinian sauce, is one of my favourite things to put on a piece of grilled meat. I like mine with a good dose of garlic, salt and lemon. There's nothing quite like it on a nice piece of flank or skirt steak. It even makes a nice bread dipping sauce. Here's a recipe from Tony Bourdain for a chimichurri sauce bathed sandwich, the choripán. A simple sandwich of French bread, chimichurri and chorizo. This is an Argentinian staple and one I'm going to have to cook up here, real soon.
https://explorepartsunknown.com/buenos-aires/chimichurri-choripan-recipe/

Ingredients:

(Makes enough to drench about a dozen choripánes)
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup finely-chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of half a lemon
Salt, to taste

Preparation:

Fastest and easiest is put everything in a food processor and process until it’s sauce-like, but that method tends to work everything so uniformly you’re almost certain to lose complexity. The recommended way is to mince the garlic and the parsley by hand, and add it in after you’ve mixed everything else by either food processor or hand. The recipe above is for classic chimichurri, but there are many variants, such as tomato chimichurri (add onion and sundried tomatoes), cilantro chimichurri (add onion and substitute the parsley for cilantro), garlic chimichurri (use half a head of garlic and add bay leaves, and yes, bay leaves are edible, they’re not just for sticking in stews), and so on. Of course, nothing’s stopping you from making up your own!

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5