Helpful ReplyHot!The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 34
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8629
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/18 16:08:49 (permalink)
Aside from the Roadhouse 4, is there any other interest in getting together this coming Friday?  March 2 is now out for me, as the grandson will be visiting.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/18 18:40:49 (permalink)
Are we still thinking Colony House for this Friday?  I gotta re-check my calendar.  Life moves fast around here.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/18 18:50:46 (permalink)
Colony House works for me.  I can't say if Kathy would be there but I definitely would.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6284
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/19 23:34:30 (permalink)
Roadhouses are still in, although asking the question: Are we asking for trouble, going to a Friday Fish Fry during Lent?  I hear dem Catlicks (Southside Chicagoese for "those Catholic folks") can get pretty rough when they're off their red meat.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/20 20:56:34 (permalink)
What's the choice for time?  Colony House opens at 4 but that may not be practical for some, although as Buddy pointed out it's Lent and dinner crowds may be larger.  5:00?  5:30?  Something else?
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/02/20 21:09:29
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/20 23:07:47 (permalink)
We can be there any time.  I'll leave it up to the working folks to pick the time.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/21 08:57:01 (permalink)
Their Yelp page says they take reservations, FWIW.

I'm waiting to hear back from Mr. Maki re: the time.  We're going to Fogo de Chao the next night, and he's trying to budget his caloric intake so he may pass on this one.  If he does skip it, we can leave Chicago earlier.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/21 09:03:26 (permalink)
Mr. Maki is going to skip it, so we can go whenever you guys want. 
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/21 17:39:30 (permalink)

I get off work on Friday at around 5 pm, so we won't be able to join in.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/21 20:44:54 (permalink)
Darn.  I was hoping both you and ChiBears15 could make it, just to see the Prime Rib Shootout.  Winner gets an extra applesauce for dessert!
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/23 10:55:22 (permalink)
I have to pass on this. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon though.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/23 14:56:47 (permalink)
Just a quick FYI; if anyone is thinking about making a surprise drop-in tonight, you'll be the one getting the surprise.  Since there are only four of us attending, we've axed Colony House and gone a different direction.  That direction is "south".

ChickenMan and I have been talking for quite awhile about visiting a place called Art & Alma's Century Inn down on the flatter side of the Cheddar Curtain.  We've been wanting to check out this vintage joint after seeing multiple write ups and videos extolling its virtues.  But since it's an unknown quantity, we didn't want to involve the whole group.  Tonight seems like the perfect opportunity.

So if you want to make an unannounced visit, head on south and west to Burlington, but NOT the one that's home to Fred's Bar and the World's Best Burgers.  We're talking Burlington, IL, abut 10 miles west of Elgin.

See you there.  Or not.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 14:11:07 (permalink)
Last night's scouting mission was a roaring success!  Art & Alma's delivered on everything it promised, from the first rate food to the warm and welcoming vintage ambiance.  First and foremost for me was the Prime Rib.  abe_froeman practically had to twist my arm to go halfsies with her on the perfectly prepared hunk of moo but I'm so glad she did. 

I've stated before that my taste buds have lost interest in beef lately, only showing the love for well prepared Burgers and properly smoked Brisket.  Well, Art & Alma's Prime Rib has reignited my love for red meat!  I know this will start some rumbling from my friends north of the state line, but this was the BEST Prime Rib I've ever had in my life!

The 16oz. portion arrived at our table in the most beautiful and consistent shade of medium rare pinkish red, with just enough fat to let you know it was going to be a succulent piece of meat.  The flavor of the herb seasoned crust permeated throughout the cut, and the tenderness was almost startling.  It's been ages since I've had such a satisfying experience with a piece of prime beef and I'm ready to go back for more.

The three Roadhouse clan members also shared the Iron Skillet Canadian Walleye filet with almonds and the Seared Apple & Brie Chicken Breast.  The Veg of the Day was an uninteresting zucchini dish, so we opted for three different renditions of potatoes: Potato Pancakes, Garlic Mashed, and the "Layered House Potatoes" which was a kind of Hash Brown/Cheese Casserole affair that would please the pallet of any Cheesehead.

ScreamingChicken, despite great temptation from the Prime Rib and taunts from his three dining companions, held fast to his Lenten commitment and went with the Fried Perch Dinner.

We wrapped things up with a delicious "Strawberry Lime-Arita Creme Brulee" for dessert.

After last night's dinner we are all agreed Art & Alma's Century Inn is a more than worthy choice for the entire Contingent.  It might even earn Honorary Wisconsin Supper Club Status, the highest honor around for an Illinois restaurant.  If we don't have any place in mind for our spring outing, this might just be the pick.

Buddy
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4231
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 15:49:50 (permalink)
I loved your description of your meal.  I am like you in that I do not care for beef except for a good medium rare burger or prime rib.  Your prime rib sounded outstanding and had me drooling!  Thaks for the nice report.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 17:16:13 (permalink)
To sum things up, Buddy basically had a Meg Ryan "Sally moment" with that prime rib.

The Blatz-battered perch was slightly oily (it was pretty busy so maybe the kitchen was getting hit hard with fish orders and the fryers were being taxed) and could've benefited from a little more seasoning, but was otherwise OK.  I reheated a piece in the toaster oven today and after baking out any residual oil the crust was much better.  Still could've used a bit more salt for my taste, though.

Buddy didn't mention it but the lobster bisque (self-serve at the salad bar) seemed pretty popular with the entire table.  It had a peppery, Worcestershirey note that really livened it up.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5475
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 17:21:52 (permalink)
Next time we are in. Driving back with load 1 of stuff and should be there by Wednesday. One caveat, we can only do Early Birds and Senior Discounts from now on.

Unless . . .
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 18:59:55 (permalink)
JRP,
They open at 4pm Friday through Sunday (also 9:30am brunch on Sundays), 5pm the rest of the week.  We got there at 5 on a Lenten Friday and were seated immediately.  The place fills up, but they manage to keep things moving.  Wednesday and Saturday feature Prime Rib Specials.

The Chicken Dude is correct, I did forget to mention the Lobster Bisque, but not because I didn't care for it.  I was just so entranced by the beef, the memory of the soup was chased out of my brain.  It was in fact very good; the only one I've had better came from the deli counter at a Sendik's on the east side of Milwaukee.  Also worth mentioning, the AYCE salad bar had baby spinach and Hot Bacon Dressing!

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/24 20:07:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/02/27 09:19:09
JRPfeff
One caveat, we can only do Early Birds and Senior Discounts from now on.

You must be thrilled, knowing there's a Golden Corral less than 8 miles from your house.  Too bad Bishop's Buffet is no longer around...

FWIW, had Mrs. Chicken been scheduled for an earlier Kohl's shift tonight I would've seriously entertained the idea of returning to Art & Alma's, this time for prime rib.
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/26 09:50:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the review Buddy.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/27 10:34:33 (permalink)
That was one of the best prime ribs I've ever had.  My ONLY complaint was that it was a smidge salty, but every other component (the overall quality of the meat, the other seasonings, the consistency of the doneness, the amount of fat, the crustiness of the crust) was PERFECT, so I'll take a little extra sodium in exchange.  It may have been even bigger than 16oz.  It was very generously sized.

The walleye was really good- I wish the portion was a bit bigger, but it wasn't an AYCE-type place, so it was probably a "normal" amount.  I only had a little of the chicken because I'm not a brie fan.  The apple and bacon (?- I think there was a little bacon on there) was good, though. 

I thought their potato pancakes were really good, too.  A perfect balance of potato and pancake- not too cakey- and crispy on the outside without being overcooked.

Loved my Pink Squirrel, too!

We need to go back as a group (which will take some coordination because they don't take reservations on the weekends) and swing by the bar down the block, Mott's Lounge.  Can't go wrong with a place with a sign like this (NOT my photo, stolen off the internet):

nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/27 21:27:11 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Last night's scouting mission was a roaring success!  Art & Alma's delivered on everything it promised, from the first rate food to the warm and welcoming vintage ambiance.  First and foremost for me was the Prime Rib.  abe_froeman practically had to twist my arm to go halfsies with her on the perfectly prepared hunk of moo but I'm so glad she did. 

I've stated before that my taste buds have lost interest in beef lately, only showing the love for well prepared Burgers and properly smoked Brisket.  Well, Art & Alma's Prime Rib has reignited my love for red meat!  I know this will start some rumbling from my friends north of the state line, but this was the BEST Prime Rib I've ever had in my life!

The 16oz. portion arrived at our table in the most beautiful and consistent shade of medium rare pinkish red, with just enough fat to let you know it was going to be a succulent piece of meat.  The flavor of the herb seasoned crust permeated throughout the cut, and the tenderness was almost startling.  It's been ages since I've had such a satisfying experience with a piece of prime beef and I'm ready to go back for more.

The three Roadhouse clan members also shared the Iron Skillet Canadian Walleye filet with almonds and the Seared Apple & Brie Chicken Breast.  The Veg of the Day was an uninteresting zucchini dish, so we opted for three different renditions of potatoes: Potato Pancakes, Garlic Mashed, and the "Layered House Potatoes" which was a kind of Hash Brown/Cheese Casserole affair that would please the pallet of any Cheesehead.

ScreamingChicken, despite great temptation from the Prime Rib and taunts from his three dining companions, held fast to his Lenten commitment and went with the Fried Perch Dinner.

We wrapped things up with a delicious "Strawberry Lime-Arita Creme Brulee" for dessert.

After last night's dinner we are all agreed Art & Alma's Century Inn is a more than worthy choice for the entire Contingent.  It might even earn Honorary Wisconsin Supper Club Status, the highest honor around for an Illinois restaurant.  If we don't have any place in mind for our spring outing, this might just be the pick.

Buddy

Was the Canadian Walleye filet accompanied by ID to prove where exactly it came from?😀
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/28 01:18:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2018/02/28 10:56:02
No ID, I just assumed it was Canadian because it was wearing a toque and demanding free medical care.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/28 06:44:21 (permalink)
We prefer our walleye from a nation with Gold Medals in men's curling & women's hockey.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/02/28 10:57:13 (permalink)
JRPfeff
We prefer our walleye from a nation with Gold Medals in men's curling & women's hockey.

Ouch! 😀

Well played. (By you and the teams you mentioned.)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/03/01 19:20:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/03/06 12:25:19

Not 59 seconds, not 61.  Also, ignore the advice at the top of the mirror unless you're in college or broke.

After this nobody went near the bread.

The Bisque.  Hey...wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?  Or a Seinfeld character?

My perch plate.  Good, but I think it could've been better.

The chicken with brie and apples.

The prime rib that won Buddy's heart.  And a sizable length of his colon.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/03/01 19:37:39
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/04/01 10:25:20 (permalink)
Seasonal bump...

Any ideas for a Spring Fling?  Now that we're on CDT I'm guessing people might not mind a little more driving, especially if we schedule an early dinner.  From the previous page:

Michael's on the Lake is in Kansasville, east of Burlington.
Dover Inn is north of Kansasville on WI-75.  They have broasted chicken on the Friday menu as well.
Colony House is in Trevor, very close to the state line.  This might be the first menu I've seen offer prime rib on the kids' menu.
Sportsman's Landing is on Wind Lake, which is a little bit more of a drive than the others.  It might be a better choice for spring or summer, and they also offer a "Supper Club Saturday" menu.
Silver Lake Marina is east of Twin Lakes.
75th St. Inn is in Salem.
The Waterfront on Brown's Lake is just east of Burlington, and appears to be a little more upscale.  Once the warmer weather gets here I'll be checking out the Tuesday all-day chicken special.

Naturally, there's a catch (pun intended): I haven't been to any of these places and am working off of only what I've found online.  And while I don't mind visiting restaurants for the first time, I understand that others might prefer a destination that comes with a personal recommendation.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/04/01 10:27:55
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/04/01 14:00:28 (permalink)

Prime Rib Burger

We'd like to go to Newport Shores in Port Washington with The Contingent. We've gone once for dinner and once for lunch and really enjoyed both meals.

Prime rib is offered on both Thursdays and Saturdays, just $20.95 for The Little Buddy, a 12-14 oz cut; and $28.95 for the Skipper Cut, 20-22 oz. They will also accept up to 3 Entertainment Book coupons for any group (I think they're $10 off dinner).

Newport Shores
407 E Jackson St
Port Washington, WI 53074

House Bourbon
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/04/01 14:22:06 (permalink)
I'll have the Mate's Cut with a Broasted Chicken Junior on the side.

"Not responsible for medium-well or well-done steaks."  I like these people already.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/04/01 14:28:36
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3633
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/04/01 14:30:13 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Prime Rib Burger

We'd like to go to Newport Shores in Port Washington with The Contingent. We've gone once for dinner and once for lunch and really enjoyed both meals.

Prime rib is offered on both Thursdays and Saturdays, just $20.95 for The Little Buddy, a 12-14 oz cut; and $28.95 for the Skipper Cut, 20-22 oz. They will also accept up to 3 Entertainment Book coupons for any group (I think they're $10 off dinner).

Newport Shores
407 E Jackson St
Port Washington, WI 53074

House Bourbon

How about lunch some Wednesday or Thursday?
CSD
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Contingent's Wisconsin Supper Club, Steakhouse & Fish Fry Tour 2018/04/01 14:40:00 (permalink)
Definitely Mark. We're going to the free day at the Milwaukee Art Museum on Thursday. How about somewhere then?
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 34
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5