The Dakotas

Author
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 765
2017/06/23 11:39:59 (permalink)

The Dakotas

In late August we're taking a trip to the Dakotas, and hope you good folks can help with some recs. The Dakotas (esp. North Dakota) don't seem to come up too often in threads here, and there are only a few listings for them in "Roadfood" and in the "States" archives here. Some trip reports have been helpful, too. Our itinerary [along with tentative Roadfood stops in brackets] so far is:

Milwaukee to Fargo [Carol Widman's]
Fargo to Bismarck [Fried's in Mandan, from a WJ report]
Bismarck to Medora/Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Medora/TRNP to Devil's Tower (WY)
Devil's Tower to Black Hills/Rapid City [Bobcat's Purple Pie; Bumpin' Buffalo; Wrangler Cafe (from another thread)]
Black Hills/Rapid City to Badlands [Wall Drugs--why not]
Badlands to Pierre [Murdo Drive-In]
Pierre to.... maybe Sioux City or Le Mars (IA) or Sioux Falls (SD) [Edgar's, Tripp, and Archie's if SC; Bob's and Tina's if SF]
SC/LM/SF to Mineral Point (WI) [Susie Q in Mason City]
Mineral Point to Milwaukee

Of particular interest are good recs for our North Dakota segments, our stop in Pierre, a possible stop in Sioux Falls, as well as recs for State Highways 18 and 20 in Northern Iowa (esp. places for good Iowa Pork and BPT Sandwiches). But all ideas for all parts of the trip are welcome. Also, as you can see, we're not sure if we want to exit South Dakota via the Tripp-Yankton-Vermillion route or via Sioux Falls: in addition to Roadfood stops, we're also looking at stops in small towns, grasslands, etc. on our way out of the state. Any help one way or the other would be great.

Thanks for your help!

post edited by quijote - 2017/06/23 13:27:07

18 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5310
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 15:07:16 (permalink)
    You've probably already read these, but just in case you haven't.....

http://forums.roadfood.com/Happy-Birthday-North-Dakota-m786834.aspx

http://forums.roadfood.com/Chops-in-the-cornfield-m817335.aspx

http://forums.roadfood.com/Heartlanding-Through-the-Breadbasket-m611406.aspx

http://forums.roadfood.com/South-Dakota-m659356.aspx?high=dakota

These are just a sampling of threads that include visits to the Dakotas.  You can use the search feature in the forums to find many more
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 15:48:30 (permalink)

Yes, I did see them, and included several places into my itinerary above (italicized in brackets). Most of the threads (including two that you list) are at least several years old, though, and mostly cover the same restaurants (which I've looked over) and the same specific locations (Black Hills, Sioux Falls).  Some threads list more options, but for my route across ND (Fargo to Bismarck to Medora), there are quite a few negative reviews of places (as in Buffetbuster's report), so my list of where not to eat is a bit more developed than my list of where to eat. In the meantime, I figured a call for suggestions on the "Where Should I Eat" subforum would be a good place to get more recent and updated info, especially on stops that I'm making that aren't covered so much on this site (Medora? Pierre?).
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5310
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 16:24:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, I just figured those might be good for a start on what you're looking for, and since you hadn't mentioned them, there was a (small but finite) chance you hadn't seen them

ah well :-)
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5048
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 16:29:45 (permalink)
    Q - Here's a Dakota's travel guide. It may need an update.

jrp
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 17:07:28 (permalink)
    Lol! The original trip report, featuring the freshest bison burgers.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 21:59:57 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson
    Yeah, I just figured those might be good for a start on what you're looking for, and since you hadn't mentioned them, there was a (small but finite) chance you hadn't seen them

ah well :-)

I do appreciate it, though at this point I'm trying to fill in some gaps and sound out folks for recent material. I'm sure I'll be returning to these threads a couple more times as the trip draws near and as plans solidify: some of these trip reports are quite epic, so I may pick up stuff later on that I didn't get during the first look.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8049
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/23 22:25:23 (permalink)
    quijote

Pasties and figgyhobbin at Red Rooster Cafe.
    Paintman74
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/24 00:09:29 (permalink)
    I'm in Rapid City SD. In Custer don't miss Black Hills Burger and Bun Co. Especially the Hot Granny burger. In Wall Drug try a fresh chocolate frosted cake donut. My favorite.
    While in Pierre stop at the Silver Spur and try some smoked hot wings with a beer on the patio. You'll be glad you did! Also in Pierre is the Korner Grocery, a really neat place for fresh baked goods and homemade sausages of all kinds. All kinds of old school bottles of pop too.
    Archie's Waeside in LeMars Ia. is also not to be missed. Research the off menu giant tenderloin steak. Well worth your time. Find the Wells Blue Bunny ice cream shop for dessert after Archie's.
    Bobs in Sioux Falls ( my hometown) is very good and very small. 10 or 12 seats at best. Go hungry but not too early as they open late, 9 am.
    Enjoy your trip!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12018
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/24 05:41:14 (permalink)
    Quijote-
    As we will be traveling through the Dakotas in mid-August, thanks for starting this thread. I will be watching with great interest.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/24 20:39:38 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    quijote

Pasties and figgyhobbin at Red Rooster Cafe.

That's what we're hoping for, especially the figgyhobbin!
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/24 20:43:42 (permalink)
    Paintman74
    I'm in Rapid City SD. In Custer don't miss Black Hills Burger and Bun Co. Especially the Hot Granny burger. In Wall Drug try a fresh chocolate frosted cake donut. My favorite.
    While in Pierre stop at the Silver Spur and try some smoked hot wings with a beer on the patio. You'll be glad you did! Also in Pierre is the Korner Grocery, a really neat place for fresh baked goods and homemade sausages of all kinds. All kinds of old school bottles of pop too.
    Archie's Waeside in LeMars Ia. is also not to be missed. Research the off menu giant tenderloin steak. Well worth your time. Find the Wells Blue Bunny ice cream shop for dessert after Archie's.
    Bobs in Sioux Falls ( my hometown) is very good and very small. 10 or 12 seats at best. Go hungry but not too early as they open late, 9 am.
    Enjoy your trip!

Paintman, thank you! I'm looking forward to the Pierre stop a lot more now, and it's good to get confirmation about Archie's Waeside, if we pass through that way. I've been reading good things about Black Hills Burger, including some raves about their Buffalo Burgers. Maybe I'll get a Hot Granny Buffalo.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/24 20:45:03 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Quijote-
    As we will be traveling through the Dakotas in mid-August, thanks for starting this thread. I will be watching with great interest.

Hey, that's when we're starting our trip there. Do you know your itinerary yet? And do I need to be concerned that the Colonial House in Rapid City will run out of pie before we get there?
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/25 08:58:45 (permalink)

It looks like the Central States Fair will take place in Rapid City, August 18-27. Perhaps a good opportunity for some regional treats and activities?

http://www.centralstatesfair.com/

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/06/25 09:03:19 (permalink)
    And then there's the Corn Palace Festival in Mitchell, August 23-27.

http://cornpalace.com/181/Festival-Schedule

VAsils
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/07/11 15:56:48 (permalink)
    Bread Poets in Bismarck  
    Mad Mary's Steakhouse in Pierre
    Theodore's Dining Room in Medora (upscale)   
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/07/11 21:22:21 (permalink)
    Tally's Silver Spoon in Rapid City
    Colonial House in Rapid City
    Sylvan Lake Lodge in Black Hills
    Wild Sage Grille in Custer
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12018
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/07/12 08:05:57 (permalink)
    quijote
    buffetbuster
    Quijote-

Hey, that's when we're starting our trip there. Do you know your itinerary yet? And do I need to be concerned that the Colonial House in Rapid City will run out of pie before we get there?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier John.  Our trip is from August 11-20.  Because it looked like there would be too much driving involved for such a short amount of time, we readjusted our itinerary and will only be in the eastern parts of the Dakotas along the I-29 corridor.  Anything we find worthwhile will get sent your way.

One place that has been on my list for years, but have never been to is Lund's Landing in North Dakota for their juneberry pie.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/07/12 08:14:59
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Dakotas 2017/08/29 00:54:30 (permalink)
    Hi All-- Thanks again for your ideas for the trip. We were able to go to several of the places recommended, but logistics and other factors kept us away from some places that we wanted to try. I've begun a trip report that may be of interest to you.
    http://forums.roadfood.com/A-Late-Summer-Trip-to-the-Dakotas-and-Back-m864250.aspx

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5