• Total Posts : 1644
2017/02/16 23:58:50 (permalink)

The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway

http://www.travelandleisu...the-blue-ridge-parkway

10 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8458
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/17 00:18:01 (permalink)
    Wow...I spend many a summer doing summer stick in Burnsville, North Carolina, and logged many miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Gorgeous area of the country....and great food!!!. Great article!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7612
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/18 07:51:57 (permalink)
    I read about 2/3 of the article before giving up.  I was hoping to learn about rundown barbecue joints and chicken shacks but it seems like most of the content is devoted to the cuisine-ification of the traditional foods of the region.  Still, I'd definitely like to drive Blue Ridge Parkway someday...but I'm not stopping for anything made with Budweiser and Clamato.
    Wintahaba
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/18 10:41:15 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    I read about 2/3 of the article before giving up.  I was hoping to learn about rundown barbecue joints and chicken shacks but it seems like most of the content is devoted to the cuisine-ification of the traditional foods of the region.  Still, I'd definitely like to drive Blue Ridge Parkway someday...but I'm not stopping for anything made with Budweiser and Clamato.

I felt the same way...it's like doing a story on the coast of New England and talking about Pork Belly and Brussels Sprout Trail.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11882
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/18 16:21:47 (permalink)
    Too many Frou-Frou words and too much Frou- Frou Food.
    Thought I as reading Bon Appetite!
    If I remember correctly, people in that region eat biscuits & red eye gravy and drink Moonshine, not Bud/clamato! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22272
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/18 19:21:54 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Wow...I spend many a summer doing summer stick in Burnsville, North Carolina, and logged many miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Gorgeous area of the country....and great food!!!. Great article!

Did you mean summer shtick?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/18 23:54:07 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    leethebard

Did you mean summer shtick?

Ooops. Summer stock!!   
    And I had my share of moonshine...Yancey county was a dry county back then...Love country ham and red eye gravy...I'd recommend getting off the Blue Ridge near Spruce Pine and GPSing it to Burnsville, less than a 20 minute drive as I remember it. Burnsville is a real Maybury and the hospitality and the local food is amazing!!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/19 00:00:59 (permalink)
    A few photos of Burnsville..in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains...it's the real thing!

http://www.townofburnsville.org/photos
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6305
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/19 11:35:38 (permalink)
    Some of the most pleasant living I've ever enjoyed was in the Shenandoah Valley, including the occasional trips up and down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Along the way it was always a treat to eat at The Peaks of Otter Lodge.
    Wintahaba
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/19 12:35:54 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Some of the most pleasant living I've ever enjoyed was in the Shenandoah Valley, including the occasional trips up and down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Along the way it was always a treat to eat at The Peaks of Otter Lodge.

I agree, A very neat place Jim...have you ever strayed off and hit THE BOAR"S HEAD INN also? That was a family fave.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6305
    Re: The Food-Lover’s Drive Along the Blue Ridge Parkway 2017/02/19 13:39:37 (permalink)
    Wintahaba
    MetroplexJim

I agree, A very neat place Jim...have you ever strayed off and hit THE BOAR"S HEAD INN also? That was a family fave.

As U.VA. is my graduate school alma mater - yes; we had many happy times there.

Also, as another stop whilst exploring the Blue Ridge, I highly recommend Staunton, VA - The Queen City of the Shenandoah and a true Victorian jewel of a small city.  After Charlottesville we lived there for most of the 1970's and it is truly wonderful.  When the 'town fathers' finally allowed liquor-by-the-drink in 1977 fine dining establishments blossomed all over the place to complement their other Roadfood-type eateries which include Wright's Dairy-Rite and Mrs. Rowe's. 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5