Helpful ReplyHot!The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/28 20:33:16 (permalink)
Updated list...

Crawl Attendees:
John and Cathy
Jeff and Susan
Michael and Lisa
Pete and Lucy
John and Jen
Jim and Bobbi
Ken and Jeri
Elaine and Frank
Paul and Roz
David
Boyd
Chris
Danny
Lynn
Dale
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6656
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/28 22:50:14 (permalink)
Sundancer7
University Inn in Cleveland is famous and I believe the oldest restaurant in Cleveland.

https://www.sokolowskis.com/

Paul E Smith

Paul,
Even though I'm not organizing this Crawl, I can tell you Sokolowski's will absolutely, positively be a key stop on this outing.  Maybe even twice.  Yes, it's that good, and there's so much you'll want to try, you might get it all in on one visit.  I hope you and Roz will strongly consider joining us again next year.

Buddy
Bonk
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 11:35:38 (permalink)
Wow, 24 people in the maybe/hopeful/definitely list. That's definitely pleasing!

I can promise Danny and I are working extremely hard to make sure this Crawl meets the high standards Jeff, Gregg and others have set in previous years.

Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 11:39:55 (permalink)
This might make Jeff cringe because we're six months out, and no, I haven't contacted any of these places to ensure adequate accommodations, but because we're talking about spending the better portion of an entire day 30-plus minutes away from our starting point, I want to post my very preliminary itinerary for Thursday. 

The other two-plus days we can discuss and hash out over the winter months.

And especially to those of you coming up from the south, if you want to roll in on Wednesday, ChiBears15, the Bonks and the MichaelHoffmans are planning on meeting for a late lunch at Gahanna Grill just outside of Columbus.

Here's what we have so far:

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29, 2020
1 p.m. – Gahanna Grill
82 Granville St., Gahanna, OH
gahannagrill.com

7 p.m. – Lola or another kick-ass, kickoff dinner place
2058 E. 4th St., Cleveland, OH
lolabistro.com

THURSDAY, APRIL 30, 2020
9 a.m. – Red Chimney
6501 Fleet Ave., Cleveland

10:30 a.m. – Pierogis of Cleveland
4131 Streetsboro Rd., Richfield
poconlinestore.com

11:30 a.m. – Brandywine Falls
Boston Heights

12:30 p.m. – Swenson's Drive-In or Al's Corner Restaurant
Akron

EARLY AFTERNOON NON-FOOD EVENT
Akron Zoo
Akron Art Museum
Pro football HOF (Canton)

4 p.m. – Grandpa's Cheese Barn
668 U.S. 250, Ashland
grandpascheesebarn.com

5:30 p.m. – Hartzler's
5454 Cleveland Rd., Wooster
hartzlerdairy.com

6:30 p.m. – Belgrade Gardens
401 E. State St., Barberton
belgradegardenschicken.com

8 p.m. – Michael Angelo's
5515 Broadview Rd., Richfield
michaelangelosbakery.com

Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 11:51:34 (permalink)
Some of my reasoning behind Thursday's timing and locations...

-- ChiBears15 and I are both in total agreement that less is more in terms of major food stops, so we've really tried to spread out those destinations timing-wise so we all have room to enjoy more food at the highlight stops on the trip.

-- Red Chimney is sort of south and sort of on a geographic island, so this would be the best day to hit it since we're heading south anyway.

-- Pierogi's of Cleveland opens at 10 and is carry-out only, so assuming good weather we can do a tailgating thing if we like.

-- Brandywine Falls is a 65-foot waterfall that looks beautiful and wouldn't require any significant kind of walk or drive. 

-- The question I have for everyone is lunch preference. Al's is Hungarian, Swenson's is a burger drive through. If someone held a gun to my head I'd pick Swenson's, only because we're going to go balls out on Eastern European food the rest of the weekend. Both are Stern recommendations, BTW.

-- Believe it or not, the Akron Art Museum and the Akron art scene in general earns high praise for being such a small city. Personally I prefer going the Akron Zoo route for a couple of hours, but I think both are solid options. And I left the HOF on there because I swear I remember there being interest if/when we ever went to Cleveland.

-- Grandpa's is a drive from Akron and just Hartzler's is on the way, but I really think everyone would enjoy it. I've been about half a dozen times and it never gets old. Of course, it could be a detour stop for those coming from the west, and it's right off the highway for those of us coming from the south.

-- Belgrade speaks for itself, and Michael Angelo's has tons of room and amazing desserts, all at reasonable prices. And there's wine! Seems like a good place to wind down after a long day of Crawling. 

Thoughts? 
post edited by Bonk - 2019/10/29 12:09:43
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 12:01:13 (permalink)
Mrs. Bonk just reminded me that the Akron Art Museum has free admission on Thursdays!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 13:16:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/10/30 07:22:20
No cringing.  Sounds like a good preliminary plan.

OTOH, starting at 9am?  You know who would be cringing?  The man who's name we're honoring with this Crawl, that's who.  ChiTownDiner would have three breakfasts under his belt by that time.  But I'm fine with it.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/10/29 13:18:49
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1232
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 16:49:52 (permalink)
Bonk

-- ChiBears15 and I are both in total agreement that less is more in terms of major food stops, so we've really tried to spread out those destinations timing-wise so we all have room to enjoy more food at the highlight stops on the trip.

-- Red Chimney is sort of south and sort of on a geographic island, so this would be the best day to hit it since we're heading south anyway.

-- Pierogi's of Cleveland opens at 10 and is carry-out only, so assuming good weather we can do a tailgating thing if we like.

-- Brandywine Falls is a 65-foot waterfall that looks beautiful and wouldn't require any significant kind of walk or drive. 

-- The question I have for everyone is lunch preference. Al's is Hungarian, Swenson's is a burger drive through. If someone held a gun to my head I'd pick Swenson's, only because we're going to go balls out on Eastern European food the rest of the weekend. Both are Stern recommendations, BTW.

-- Believe it or not, the Akron Art Museum and the Akron art scene in general earns high praise for being such a small city. Personally I prefer going the Akron Zoo route for a couple of hours, but I think both are solid options. And I left the HOF on there because I swear I remember there being interest if/when we ever went to Cleveland.

-- Grandpa's is a drive from Akron and just Hartzler's is on the way, but I really think everyone would enjoy it. I've been about half a dozen times and it never gets old. Of course, it could be a detour stop for those coming from the west, and it's right off the highway for those of us coming from the south.

-- Belgrade speaks for itself, and Michael Angelo's has tons of room and amazing desserts, all at reasonable prices. And there's wine! Seems like a good place to wind down after a long day of Crawling. 

Thoughts? 

I'm wondering about Michael Angelo's at 8 pm. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out their website, and it seems to me that the bakery and winery are two different operations, with the bakery closing at 5 pm. Maybe there are still items available after the bakery closes in the winery part? I couldn't find a menu for the winery. 
In general, I also wonder about going to a bakery in the evening, since I assume that since the open at 7 am they will be doing most of the heavy baking early in the morning. Looking at Google Maps I see that they are about 20 minutes from Red Chimney. I most likely will go to Michael Angelo's early, by 7:30 or so, and honor Gregg's memory with at least one pre-breakfast before Red Chimney. I might also try to go to one of the bagel places before that, like Cleveland Bagel Co., just to see what a "Cleveland-Style" bagel is. 

I think it might be possible that Pierogis of Cleveland at Richfield does have some seating. They are listed as Cafe and Market.

David
post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/10/29 17:50:20
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 17:44:24 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Bonk

Thoughts? 

I'm wondering about Michael Angelo's at 8 pm. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out their website, and it seems to me that the bakery and winery are two different operations, with the bakery closing at 5 pm. Maybe there are still items available after the bakery closes in the winery part? I couldn't find a menu for the winery. 
In general, I also wonder about going to a bakery in the evening, since I assume that since the open at 7 am they will be doing most of the heavy baking early in the morning. Looking at Google Maps I see that they are about 20 minutes from Red Chimney. I most likely will go to Michael Angelo's early, by 7:30 or so, and honor Gregg's memory with at least one pre-breakfast before Red Chimney. I might also try to go to one of the bagel places before that, like Cleveland Bagel Co., just to see what a "Cleveland-Style" bagel is. 

David

Haha, you could do both!

Honestly, my recommendation is coming from a close friend, a foodie who could not have praised it higher, and my brief experience this summer.

We went to Belgrade Gardens and finished at Michael Angelo's about the same time this summer (8 p.m.-ish), and I thought the cupcakes were amazing. My friend got the tiramisu and even though Cathy detests coffee, she loved it.

Not sure what the actual baking hours are, and yeah, I'm not sure about the separation between the winery and regular kitchen and bakery, but I was extremely impressed with the desserts I tried.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/10/30 12:48:43
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5841
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/29 19:24:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/10/30 00:38:28
Sounds great Bonk. Remember, you get all the credit for the winners and Danny gets all the grief for the misses. CTD wouldn't have it any other way.
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 19:49:10 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

OTOH, starting at 9am?  You know who would be cringing?  The man who's name we're honoring with this Crawl, that's who.  ChiTownDiner would have three breakfasts under his belt by that time.  But I'm fine with it.

Buddy

I'm having trouble finding three breakfasts for the entire weekend!

West Side Market is an easy choice on Saturday, fortunately.
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 19:57:19 (permalink)
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Jeff, are you seeing this? How about some breakfast choices?

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 21:44:04 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

David

You should be all set. You've already found Red Chimney (which looks great, BTW), West Side Market is another good choice, and Yours Truly (multiple locations) gets high marks from both me and wanderingjew.

Next problem.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 22:03:17 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

David

You should be all set. You've already found Red Chimney (which looks great, BTW), West Side Market is another good choice, and Yours Truly (multiple locations) gets high marks from both me and wanderingjew.

Next problem.

Buddy

Now wait just a minute! That's "only" one breakfast per day, not including even one breakfast for Sunday. Depending on where the "official" breakfasts are, I have some bagel places to try, but maybe there are some patisseries or bakeries that "some of us" could go to before the official breakfasts. I'm counting on you. 

A couple I've found online that look like possibilities are Luna Bakery and Cafe, Blackbird Baking Company, and On the Rise Breads and Pastries. I'll be trying to get to them and will be happy to have company.

David

will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 22:18:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2019/11/01 13:01:45
I believe there is an Original Pancake House in Cleveland also....Dutch Baby!!!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6818
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/31 23:01:48 (permalink)
We could make Cleveland as we will be there May 2 and 3 for ARV Fest in Willoughby, Ohio (a Cleveland suburb). That is an annual get together for custom campervan RVs manufactured by Advanced RV.  

Besides Sokolowski's as mentioned, I think it is a must to stop at the Westside Market in Cleveland. It is a grand space similar, but maybe better, than the Grand Market Hall in Budapest, Hungary which I was at last month.

http://westsidemarket.org/explore-the-market/image-gallery/

compared with the Grand Market Hall in Budapest...

http://www.hungarybudapestguide.com/what-is-the-grand-market-hall-in-budapest-like/ 

Has Buddy mentioned Bearden's on Lake Rd. in Rocky River, OH? That's a 50's style diner hangout since 1948 specializing in steakburgers. My wife, Nancy, hung out there when in high school 57 years ago.

https://www.beardens.com/history 

I missed Minneapolis (my home territory) last year because I was in Cleveland.  
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/01 06:09:20 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

David

Next problem.

Buddy

Exactly. Yours Truly was going to be the other and we're more than covered on Saturday with West Side Market.

That said, we still have plenty of other bakery options to complement our breakfast stops.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/11/01 06:10:28
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/01 16:29:01 (permalink)
The last time I visited West Side Market was in 1975.  It was great then.
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/03 06:54:48 (permalink)
Davydd -- Sokolowski's and the West Side Market are definites. We're looking at Sokolowski's as our early Friday dinner option and are planning on hitting West Side Market Saturday morning.

Bearden's is on the list for potential stops, and I'm definitely in favo(u)r of paying a visit for a burger.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13946
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/03 14:01:52 (permalink)
Any good perch fish places in Cleveland.  I know of some west of Cleveland but that is too long of a drive.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN>
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/04 00:12:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/11/04 13:24:43
Sundancer7
Any good perch fish places in Cleveland.

Maybe.

I have mixed feelings about The Flat Iron Cafe, down in Cleveland's once trendy Flats Neighborhood.  They came highly recommended by folks here on Roadfood and elsewhere.  We thoroughly enjoyed our first few experiences there, but on later visits found some of the luster had gone out of the place.

I can't even put my finger on it.  As I said, the neighborhood was once pretty popular, and there was usually a line to get in, especially on the weekends.  Since the then, the crowds have shifted east to the Warehouse District (this is fairly dated information.  The "In Crowd" may actually be habituating an entirely new area by now), and the once crowded Flat Iron became more of a ghost town. 

I continued going there, but the allure had gone out of the place for me.  Granted, my ambivalence may be purely psychological, and not based on the quality of the food or service.  Just to prove my ambivalence, here is a review I posted back in 2006, not long after the crowds moved away from Flat Iron.  At that point, I was still in love with the place, so I can't be entirely sure when that changed.

With that in mind, I would still wholly endorse putting Flat Iron on the Crawl itinerary so we can determine as a group if they are still worthy of their Roadfood status.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/11/04 00:27:04
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/07 16:19:39 (permalink)
So let's talk about breakfasts. We have four mornings to cover. Saturday we figure West Side Market should cover it, and Thursday we're looking at Red Chimney.

That leaves two, and I really want to try a Yours Truly.

It was pointed out to me by a very wise person that Lucky's would make an excellent breakfast option. And I like the all-day menu because I can go Hell's Kitchen and be that guy who orders a burger, since I really wanted to try this place for lunch anyway. Everyone wins!

luckyscafe.com/weekday-menu

That is in Tremont, as are Grumpy's Cafe (grumpys-cafe.com) and Rowley Inn, both of which also serve breakfast starting at 7 a.m.

I'm leaning toward the suggestion I got on Lucky's, but I'd love to hear feedback. 

Then there's bakeries and sweet shops. We should be able to hit more of these if we like because portion control is much easier and we're not clogging up half a diner when we're already nearly full. 

Here are the ones from our spreadsheet:

Prestis Bakery, bakery, University Circle (prestisbakery.com)
BA Sweeties, candy shop, Parma (sweetiescandy.com)
Malley's, candies, available in area stores
Brewnuts, beer donuts (?!?!), Detroit/Shoreway.

Prestis, Sweeties and Brewnuts are all pretty centrally located, so if we wanted to hit them all I think that's definitely doable. The Brewnuts thing is a must for me because I'm kind of fascinated by the concept.

Maybe Heinen's carries Malley's and we could kill two birds with one stone there?

But again, I'd love to hear everyone's constructive thoughts, because the last thing I want is to dictate to the group.

As Buddy famously said, this is your crawl!

post edited by Bonk - 2019/11/07 17:07:47
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/11/07 17:41:25 (permalink)
I think your choices of Yours Truly and Lucky's Cafe, along with Red Chimney and West Side Market are fine. It's also possible that West Side Market might be worth going back to during a "lull" in the action for some of us. I also like the idea of trying Brewnuts.

In addition to the bakeries you mentioned, I've found the following online. I obviously don't know anything about them, other than what I've read, but some might be worth investigating. 

Farkas Pastry Shop   
https://www.farkaspastries.com

Michael’s Bakery
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michaels-Bakery/116448365045986

Luna Bakery Cafe
http://www.lunabakerycafe.com

Blackbird Baking Company
http://www.blackbirdbaking.com

On the Rise Breads and pastries (in the Van Aken Food Hall)
https://ontheriseartisanbreads.com

Mitchel's Ice Cream (also in the Van Aken Food Hall)
https://mitchellshomemade.com

There are a few other possibilities in the Van Aken Food Hall as well
http://thevanakendistrict.com/eat-drink/

And these places for bagels might be worth trying.

Cleveland Bagel Co.
http://clebagelco.com

Bialy's Bagels
http://www.bialysbagels.com/contact-us.html

I hope if anyone knows any of these places they will comment on them.

David

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5