The Native Corns Of Mexico Are Going Extinct

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1411
2018/03/21 17:32:41 (permalink)

The Native Corns Of Mexico Are Going Extinct

But one man is on a mission to return them to the tortilla and food scene. Apparently, NAFTA has had a pretty bad effect on the heirloom corns of Mexico and many of them are in danger of disappearing completely. Most tortilla's that are made are now made with American corn or mass grown corn like the American types and not the old heirloom varieties. What a sad state of affairs. Here's hoping Senor Mier succeeds in his mission!

https://explorepartsunkno...mexican-corn-be-saved/

3 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2673
    Re: The Native Corns Of Mexico Are Going Extinct 2018/03/21 19:15:06 (permalink)
    Things change. Few New England corns survive, so we have the problem here too. Most "indian Corn" sold here is from an "improved" strain. A few acres of old time "Narraganset Flint" are grown to supply RI grist mills, who in turn supply small amounts of meal to make genuine "Johnny Cakes". I have grown small amounts of "Nothstine Dent", just for fun. The Mexican corn that I tried did poorly up here. My seed supplier, Johnny's Selected Seeds, brought Nothstine back into production from a base of just 50 seeds. Several other companies sell dozens of old "open pollinated" corns including some from Mexico, but so far as I know, none are big sellers.

As far as Mexicans changing their diet goes, I congratulate them on their better standard of living. I remember an interview with Freddie Fender, who in the 70s became an "overnight" singing sensation well into middle age. (Remember "Wasted days and wasted nights....."). He said something like,"I used to live on rice and beans, but now I eat steak"

Thanks Rootbeer Man for this interesting tid bit!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9479
    Re: The Native Corns Of Mexico Are Going Extinct 2018/03/21 20:19:25 (permalink)
    Interesting!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8581
    Re: The Native Corns Of Mexico Are Going Extinct 2018/03/25 21:14:13 (permalink)
    With all the interest in heirloom foods these days it would appear that the odds of saving the corn strains are as good as they can be.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5