• Total Posts : 2319
2018/07/19 13:51:10 (permalink)

The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole

http://www.scrumptiousche...-king-ranch-casserole/

5 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6284
    Re: The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole 2018/07/19 14:43:29 (permalink)
    Nice rant telling us everything King Ranch Casserole isn't, but when I clicked on the link to find out what it is, I came up empty.

Now I gotta know what goes into a proper King Ranch Casserole.  Little help, please.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole 2018/07/19 15:53:59 (permalink)
    ***EDIT*** Whoa, the post I was replying to suddenly disappeared between my reading it and this reply.  Weird.

Not a grade school staple in 1960's north suburban Chicago.

Except for scrumptiouschef's vehement denial of beans as an acceptable ingredient, it sounds a lot like Mrs. Roadhouse's Chicken Enchilada Casserole (she uses black beans), a pan of which we are currently about halfway through.  I hope this doesn't offend anyone (not really), but I gotta say, it's pretty good with the beans in there.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/07/19 15:56:23
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    Re: The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole 2018/07/19 15:57:23 (permalink)
    Beans as a side, rice as a side, iceberg salad with plenty ranch dressing as a side. Never incorporate any of the three into the actual casserole. Oh, and I fixed that busted link. Thanks for the heads up.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    Re: The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole 2018/07/19 17:12:11 (permalink)
    That recipe looks pretty good; just a tad (a whole bunch) more meticulous than my wife's version.  But hers is good too.  And as you indicate, toss in a side salad and it's a damn good meal.

Not to argue with you too much, but I fail to see why beans would be such an issue.  I get the whole beans/no beans debate in Chili, but King Ranch Casserole doesn't seem to merit the same stubbornness.  She throws in corn and a can of drained black beans, which, given the dish's Tex/Mex provenance, seems more than appropriate.

I guess it all comes down to the name.  In truth, I'd never call her dish "King Ranch Casserole", mainly because we'd never heard of it until you brought it to our attention.  And while the two dishes share some common ingredients and cooking techniques, they are not the same.  A Hamburger and a Sloppy Joe both involve ground beef and a bun, but one sure as heck ain't the same as the other.

Buddy
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    Re: The New Orleans Advocate Fails To Understand King Ranch Casserole 2018/07/19 20:33:16 (permalink)
    My mom made a similar casserole to your wife's. It was called Fiesta Chicken or something along those lines. It was good. She also was a strict constructionist when it came to her King Ranch. There's room for both.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5