Helpful ReplyHot!The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1218
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 00:14:18 (permalink)
The best of those weeks for me would be May 7-10, but since it's Mothers Day I imagine it won't actually be considered. May 14-17 would be better than the April dates. If it's one of the April dates I'll try to get it off. Those are music director weeks, which can sometimes be difficult for me to get off. 

The only trouble that I remember with the Nashville marathon was crossing the street to go to a downtown location. Is the Cleveland marathon really two days?

Another good week for me is May 21-24, but Monday the 25th is Memorial Day, so I'm not sure how people would feel about that. 

With the chance of lake effect snow through the end of April I would much prefer to go in May.

David

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5829
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 00:38:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/07/28 13:26:16
Nice job Bonk. No matter the outcome, you did a great job of handling the vote with the minimum of controversy, hate and discontent.

Jim
Bonk
  • Total Posts : 1019
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 11:12:32 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk
I'll continue to look at major events in Cleveland that would deter us from picking a particular weekend, but here's what that leaves us with:

April 23-26
April 30-May 3
May 7-10

Mother's Day, 2020=May 10th.

Probably worth looking into graduation weekend for Case Western and any other major learning institutions in the area.

I started my research last year with a call to the local chamber of commerce.

Buddy

Good idea.

Is Mother's Day really a non-starter for us?

I really don't know.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 12:30:42 (permalink)
A Roadfood Crawl for Mother's Day is probably a plus (the kids will understand). Just don't plan on Sunday breakfast or brunch for the group.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23276
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 12:48:19 (permalink)
The trouble with Mothers Day is that everyone working in a restaurant will hate you for being alive and showing up.
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 14:01:51 (permalink)
JRPfeff
A Roadfood Crawl for Mother's Day is probably a plus (the kids will understand). Just don't plan on Sunday breakfast or brunch for the group.

Why not, if we get reservations made really early? It’s hard to imagine not having a final group meal on the last day.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 15:24:06 (permalink)
Davidsanders
JRPfeff

Why not, if we get reservations made really early? It’s hard to imagine not having a final group meal on the last day.

Because on Mother's Day restaurants will be trying to turn over tables quickly to prepare for the next reservations. Having us lingering (which is what we normally do) before departure would be inconsiderate to the Mother's Day celebrants.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11917
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 17:44:36 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
The trouble with Mothers Day is that everyone working in a restaurant will hate you for being alive and showing up.

TRUE!  I always HATED working in a restaurant kitchen on Mothers Day.  Worst day of the year for me.  
"Grandma wants this, but is allergic to such and such.  Grandpa wants this but can you leave out the salt and pepper?  Uncle Bert wants his 18oz. steak WELLLLLL done!  Aunt Norma would like veal parmigiana, not too much cheese!  Cousin David would like fried shrimp, but he'd like 10 instead of 8.  Aunt Suzie just wants a salad, but with everyone else's meal.  And on and on and on and on...………………………………………….."  THE WORST DAY OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1865
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 17:58:51 (permalink)
lleechef
Michael Hoffman

TRUE!  I always HATED working in a restaurant kitchen on Mothers Day.  Worst day of the year for me.  
"Grandma wants this, but is allergic to such and such.  Grandpa wants this but can you leave out the salt and pepper?  Uncle Bert wants his 18oz. steak WELLLLLL done!  Aunt Norma would like veal parmigiana, not too much cheese!  Cousin David would like fried shrimp, but he'd like 10 instead of 8.  Aunt Suzie just wants a salad, but with everyone else's meal.  And on and on and on and on...………………………………………….."  THE WORST DAY OF THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute truth! I don't know anyone that liked working Mother Day. I'd rather pull a double any other day than work that one.
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 18:10:40 (permalink)
OK, so if we nix Mother's Day weekend, then that leaves:

April 23-26
April 30-May 3

I say we leave it in the mix for now and take it into consideration when we vote.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/07/28 18:13:36
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 18:42:35 (permalink)
What about later in May? Won’t that even be put on the list as a possibility for people to vote on?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 18:48:29 (permalink)
Thank you voters.

Pie Diva thinks Cleveland will be fun. She's excited about the R&R HoF, Barberton Chicken, and all the Eastern European food. I'm hoping to achieve my lifelong goal of breakfast at Waffle House with Michael Hoffman. Maybe a Tim Horton's primer from the Nairn's, too.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/07/28 18:50:18
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 19:24:00 (permalink)
Davidsanders
What about later in May? Won’t that even be put on the list as a possibility for people to vote on?

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't take the two later weekends in May off the table, but Memorial Day weekend is out for me and usually others say they can't do those days, and as I mentioned before, marathons cripple downtown areas and we'd be dealing with that May 14-17.

Ask Buddy and Co. about his Nashville road race experience.

I'm curious: How far out would you find out about your final schedule in this timeframe? I'd hate to pick a weekend while your schedule is unclear then find out you can't make it because of work.

Buddy officially announced the dates for MSP on Sept. 10, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I never heard a gripe about that being too late, so I think we have time to talk about this. 

The flip side is that without Gregg and Buddy organizing, the more time us rookies have to nail down the variables, the better.

On a personal note, the MLB schedule comes out toward the end of August and if possible I'd like to see when the Indians play before deciding so we can take in a game at whatever they're calling Jacobs Field this week. 
post edited by Bonk - 2019/07/28 19:51:17
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/28 21:25:14 (permalink)
Bonk
Davidsanders

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't take the two later weekends in May off the table, but Memorial Day weekend is out for me and usually others say they can't do those days, and as I mentioned before, marathons cripple downtown areas and we'd be dealing with that May 14-17.

I'm curious: How far out would you find out about your final schedule in this timeframe? I'd hate to pick a weekend while your schedule is unclear then find out you can't make it because of work.

Buddy officially announced the dates for MSP on Sept. 10, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I never heard a gripe about that being too late, so I think we have time to talk about this. 

The flip side is that without Gregg and Buddy organizing, the more time us rookies have to nail down the variables, the better.

On a personal note, the MLB schedule comes out toward the end of August and if possible I'd like to see when the Indians play before deciding so we can take in a game at whatever they're calling Jacobs Field this week. 

I know what my schedule is already; we get our final schedules (which can be changed, but not very significantly, more or less just conductors and/or programs, a few tweaks here and there) a year or more in advance. What I can't do is ask for every possible week for the Crawl off without pay. I have to know what the dates are going to be before I can request the week. A lot of it has to do with which weeks other members of the cello section and other members of the entire orchestra will have already requested off. There's a limit to how many weeks they will allow an individual member, and the entire group as a whole, to be gone in any given week. There are tour weeks and prep weeks for tours that they won't give. 

My advice would be to go ahead and poll the group, get an idea what the front runners are, and we'll see how the chips will fall. I'm definitely hoping to go, and I'll do my best.

David

wanderingjew
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/29 07:23:34 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Thank you voters.

Pie Diva thinks Cleveland will be fun. She's excited about the R&R HoF, Barberton Chicken, and all the Eastern European food. I'm hoping to achieve my lifelong goal of breakfast at Waffle House with Michael Hoffman. Maybe a Tim Horton's primer from the Nairn's, too.

But it will be 2020, not 1920. I was hoping for some Somalian and Hmong food or better yet a stuffed cheeseburger (No one knows where they were even invented anyways) not nursing home food
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6646
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/29 13:56:41 (permalink)
I've got a few minutes before work, so let's address some of these questions.

Davidsanders
Is the Cleveland marathon really two days?

Yup.  In fact two separate events each day; a 5/10K on Saturday the 16th, and a half and full marathon on Sunday the 17th.

Davidsanders
The only trouble that I remember with the Nashville marathon was crossing the street to go to a downtown location.

Bonk

I think different factions had different experiences based on the location of their hotel.  Folks staying south of Nashville had an easier time circumventing the marathon course than those of us with a starting point in the east.

Davidsanders

I agree.  Memorial Day might be tough, depending on whether Smoke and Pie will be converging in the north next year, but there's no reason we can't include that weekend for a vote, even if it's just to give folks the opportunity to say, "no".  Also, it's probably worth adding the weekend of May 28-31.

We might even consider April 16-19.

Bonk
Keep in mind that Cleveland is on the east side of a Great Lake, and lake effect snow is a regular occurrence late into April. Later is probably better if we want favorable weather.

Actually, it's on the south side of Lake Erie, a fact that constantly confounded my sense of direction there after growing up in Chicago where the lake is always to the east.  Be that as it may, yes the winters are long and cold in Cleveland and occasionally spill into April.  But you know where it's even colder, even longer?  Minneapolis/St. Paul where we just experienced a fabulous weekend at the end of April.

Davidsanders
With the chance of lake effect snow through the end of April I would much prefer to go in May.

Of course there's a possibility of snow in early spring, but the statistics show it is rare in occurrence, and minimal in accumulation.  So let's not panic on this one folks.  The Yeti haven't descended the Himalayas to snatch us up for lunch.

Bonk
...without Gregg and Buddy organizing, the more time us rookies have to nail down the variables, the better.

As stated before, you won't be tackling this alone.  I'll still be there to lend a hand, and ChiBears15 seems like an eager participant.  I will personally vouch for his keen Roadfooding abilities; like a pig sniffing out truffles.

Bonk

Agree 100%!  As I've described in the past, nothing beats the view from in front of Sokolowski's University Inn on a warm Friday night after an Indians home game when the fireworks show over Progressive Field lights up the sky.

wanderingjew
JRPfeff
Thank you voters.

But it will be 2020, not 1920. I was hoping for some Somalian and Hmong food or better yet a stuffed cheeseburger (No one knows where they were even invented anyways) not nursing home food

Believe me, if there was any exceptional Somali or Hmong food to be had in Cleveland, I'd be pushing for it.  Unfortunately, those are not predominant food cultures there.  OTOH, if we'd done Cleveland about four years ago, we would have definitely gone to one of my favorite places, Cuisine du Cambodge.  They served a fantastic mix of Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Thai food in a dingy little store front on the far west side of town.  Roadfood, Asian Style, at its best!  Sadly they are now closed, so we won't get the chance to enjoy their outstanding food.

That's it for now; gotta go to work.  More later, as necessary.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/07/29 13:59:03
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 10:17:32 (permalink)
Since I subverted the PM system, I'll forgive the fact that my vote wasn't counted .  Our first priority for travel next year is NOLA because of the milestones we're celebrating, and depending on when we go and how much we splurge there and what days get picked for Cleveland, we may or may not make it.
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 11:14:16 (permalink)
abe_froeman
Since I subverted the PM system, I'll forgive the fact that my vote wasn't counted .  Our first priority for travel next year is NOLA because of the milestones we're celebrating, and depending on when we go and how much we splurge there and what days get picked for Cleveland, we may or may not make it.

I counted it, but that was for the first round of voting.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 11:17:54 (permalink)
Ohhhhh....I missed that there were two rounds, then.  Nevermind!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 12:56:49 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Thank you voters.

Your lifelong goal can be met, but the closest Waffle House to Cleveland is around Canton. Let me tell you about Tim's, from the perspective of a former Tim's customer. South of the border you can't get a coffee refill without paying full price. It's been so long since I last was in a Tim Horton's north of the  border I can't recall whether they have a free refill policy there. But you don't need more than one cup for a dozen Timbits.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 12:58:07 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff
Thank you voters.

There's Somali and Hmong food in Ohio's largest city.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/07/30 13:16:34 (permalink)
abe_froeman
Ohhhhh....I missed that there were two rounds, then.  Nevermind!

A tribute to Bonk's efficiency (& the previous guy's ineptitude). We're not on Buddy-Time anymore.
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/01 18:13:41 (permalink)
Any more thoughts on dates? I’d like to get started trying to get my leave request in.

David
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/02 21:22:12 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Any more thoughts on dates? I’d like to get started trying to get my leave request in.

David

Good idea. Let's nail this down.

I liked Buddy's system last year, when we all voted by priority and he weighted everyone's votes, with the best average winning.

Also, please list any weekends from the list that are definite no-gos. We'll eliminate to the top two then do a one-on-one vote. I think we can give this first round of voting until next Saturday (Aug. 10) then do the finals for a week and wrap it up on Aug. 17.

So please either post here or PM me your order of preference from the following weekends:

1. April 16-19 (Passover ends April 16; Easter is April 12)
2. April 23-26 
3. April 30-May 3
4. May 7-10 (Mother's Day on Sunday)
5. May 14-17 (Cleveland Marathon both weekend days)
6. May 21-24 (Memorial Day weekend)
7. May 28-June 1

We're on the clock...
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/03 01:53:48 (permalink)
Bonk
Davidsanders

David

Good idea. Let's nail this down.

I liked Buddy's system last year, when we all voted by priority and he weighted everyone's votes, with the best average winning.

Also, please list any weekends from the list that are definite no-gos. We'll eliminate to the top two then do a one-on-one vote. I think we can give this first round of voting until next Saturday (Aug. 10) then do the finals for a week and wrap it up on Aug. 17.

So please either post here or PM me your order of preference from the following weekends:

1. April 16-19 (Passover ends April 16; Easter is April 12)
2. April 23-26 
3. April 30-May 3
4. May 7-10 (Mother's Day on Sunday)
5. May 14-17 (Cleveland Marathon both weekend days)
6. May 21-24 (Memorial Day weekend)
7. May 28-June 1

We're on the clock...

My choices are:

(6) May 21-24
(7) May 28-May 31 (I don't think you actually meant Monday June 1st)
(5) May 14-17 (although I thought this was pretty much eliminated because of the marathon)
(4) May 7-10

These weeks might be possible, but would be more difficult for me to get off.
(2) April 23-26
(3) April 30-May 3

(1) April 16-19 I don't think would be possible.

David

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/03 08:42:55 (permalink)
Two Votes

lleechef -- No Preference

Me -- Same
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/03 10:14:11 (permalink)
May 28-31
May 7-10
April 30-May 3
May 14-17
April 23-26

None are a definite NO GO for me.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/03 11:08:54 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Two Votes

lleechef -- No Preference

Me -- Same

Ditto.

Ditto.
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/03 16:54:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/08/03 23:58:56
Hello from the Meltons! We've been pretty quiet on this because our daughter arrived on June 12...about three weeks earlier than expected! She is doing wonderfully, we are doing pretty well other than the sleep deprivation factor :-) 

We're close to Cleveland, and at this point can't make any promises about attending or not...we'll see what kind of traveler little Mary is once she gets a bit older. However, we'll keep an eye on the thread and if we can attend all or part of this crawl, we will. Oh - Mother's Day weekend would not work for us, but I don't think you should change any plans based on that - we're fairly uncertain at this point anyway. 

I'm not skilled enough to add a photo, so just trust me when I say she's a beauty at six weeks old! <3 

Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/04 09:50:55 (permalink)
The 2nd and 3rd on the list are my preferences and the first weekend and Memorial Day weekend are no-gos for me.  
post edited by Mrs. Bonk - 2019/08/04 11:34:46
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5