Helpful ReplyHot!The Official Cleveland Or Bust 2020 Crawl Thread

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1171
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/04 09:53:25 (permalink)
icecreamchick
Hello from the Meltons! We've been pretty quiet on this because our daughter arrived on June 12...about three weeks earlier than expected! She is doing wonderfully, we are doing pretty well other than the sleep deprivation factor :-) 

We're close to Cleveland, and at this point can't make any promises about attending or not...we'll see what kind of traveler little Mary is once she gets a bit older. However, we'll keep an eye on the thread and if we can attend all or part of this crawl, we will. Oh - Mother's Day weekend would not work for us, but I don't think you should change any plans based on that - we're fairly uncertain at this point anyway. 

I'm not skilled enough to add a photo, so just trust me when I say she's a beauty at six weeks old! <3 

Congratulations!
Wawa Mama
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/04 10:03:23 (permalink)
May 28-31
May 7-10
April 30-May 3
May 14-17
April 23-26

I can get of jail anytime really.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23195
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/04 19:27:36 (permalink)

wanderingjew
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/05 07:28:50 (permalink)
April 30-May 3
April 23-April 26
May 7- May 10
***Can't do Memorial Day weekend*** I'll be spending that time with my wife.
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/05 13:46:49 (permalink)
1. April 30-May 3
2. April 23-26 

Could do May 7-10 as a lesser option...
post edited by schlotz - 2019/08/05 13:53:28
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 294
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/05 21:24:17 (permalink)
1. 5/14 - 5/17
2. 4/30 - 5/3
3. 4/23 - 4/26
4. 5/28 - 5/31
5. 5/7 - 5/10
Big_g
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/07 10:56:09 (permalink)
April 23-26
April 30-May 3
May 7-10
Bonk
  • Total Posts : 1008
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 12:08:59 (permalink)
I didn't want to take any weekends off the board just because we couldn't make it, but with others also not being able to attend April 16-19 and Memorial weekend, I feel better about eliminating those dates.

My contacts have been extremely helpful is giving ChiBears15 and I a plethora of wide-ranging options.

Getting lots of love for Sokolowskis, which was always going to be on the itinerary, and every single person who has given me feedback has touted Slyman's, so I think that's a must stop as well.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/08/08 13:09:21
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6617
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 13:22:02 (permalink)
Besides Slyman's, two other Jewish Delis worth considering are Jack's and Corky & Lenny's.  Another recent discovery for me was Istanbul Grill for Turkish and Mediterranean food in the far west suburbs.

My last visit to Cleveburg, a couple of years ago, included a visit to Michael Symon's new 'Que venture, Mabel's BBQ.  The food was good, but the place still irritated me because I was eating alone and they didn't have a sampler plate.  Everything is sold either in sandwich form, or by the pound.  I might have a higher opinion of the place if we went in a group and ordered in bulk.

ChiBears15 was kind enough to share your preliminary list at dinner the other night.  Looks like you guys are off to a fine start.  If we're dedicating this Crawl to ChiTownDiner's memory, you'll need a few more Bakeries and Breakfast options added to the list.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/08/08 13:50:23
wanderingjew
Hamburger
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 13:46:18 (permalink)
I too have a decent sized list for Cleveland. Some of it is dated, but Buddy took the words right out of my mouth when he mentioned Jack's Deli I'm glad they've held up since my last visit back in 2008- sorry I just wasn't impressed with Corky and Lenny's when I visited back way, way back in 2001.
I'll provide some more suggestions this evening.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 14:01:35 (permalink)
Jack's & Istanbul Grill look like winners.
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 16:20:09 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I too have a decent sized list for Cleveland. Some of it is dated, but Buddy took the words right out of my mouth when he mentioned Jack's Deli I'm glad they've held up since my last visit back in 2008- sorry I just wasn't impressed with Corky and Lenny's when I visited back way, way back in 2001.

Please do. I really enjoyed your choices in MSP.
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 16:28:52 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Besides Slyman's, two other Jewish Delis worth considering are Jack's and Corky & Lenny's.  Another recent discovery for me was Istanbul Grill for Turkish and Mediterranean food in the far west suburbs.

My last visit to Cleveburg, a couple of years ago, included a visit to Michael Symon's new 'Que venture, Mabel's BBQ.  The food was good, but the place still irritated me because I was eating alone and they didn't have a sampler plate.  Everything is sold either in sandwich form, or by the pound.  I might have a higher opinion of the place if we went in a group and ordered in bulk.

ChiBears15 was kind enough to share your preliminary list at dinner the other night.  Looks like you guys are off to a fine start.  If we're dedicating this Crawl to ChiTownDiner's memory, you'll need a few more Bakeries and Breakfast options added to the list.

Buddy

Some of the list I put together came from your 2018 suggestions when we picking a destination.

We'll add your latest suggestions to The List. Man, I'd love to hit all of the Jewish delis. Especially since you're obviously intimate with the subject.

Amazing that Cincinnati, with a very high Jewish population, just doesn't have the independent delis. We do have a Shapiro's now.

Agreed on the breakfast stops. I'll try to pry more ideas from my contacts but the subject is obviously not my strength.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23195
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 16:44:20 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Corky and Lenny's opened an outpost in Columbus' North Market a few years ago. I tried it twice. Pastrami first and corned beef second. I was way less than impressed. They didn't last long.
wanderingjew
Hamburger
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 20:23:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/08/08 21:23:28
Some of my suggestions are very dated, especially my one breakfast choice. Breakfast isn't my usual forte since I usually end up at a coffee house. 
Jack's Deli and Sokolowksi's were already mentioned and goes without saying. In fact we just visited Sokolowski's last September on our big trip

Yours  Truly   Think "Key's Restaurant" in MSP- however this is the Cleveland version. A small Cleveland mini chain offering hearty breakfasts. I've been to the Beachwood location although my last visit was back in 2005. 

Balaton  Another Cleveland icon and an old Roadfood favorite located in Shaker Square that  also goes without saying- this is the other restaurant we visited on our big trip this past September. Fantastic Hungarian Fare-

Flat Iron Cafe  An old style tavern in the Flats. I first learned about this venerable Cleveland establishment in the Stern's Eat Your Way Across the USA book- I couldn't tell you about most of the menu but I've never been disappointed by the Lake Perch and "powerhouse pierogies". My last visit was back in 2012. 

Di Cillo Tavern  In suburban Mayfield Heights...Since 1933...yes 1933! Another old school tavern I stumbled upon after a power walk from my hotel when I was in Cleveland for CAT duty. Although I haven't been since my only visit in 2008, this would be the perfect place for a Midwestern fish fry. I remember when I first walked in, just to check the place out, a local at the bar told me "if they have yellow perch on the menu when you visit "get it" when I returned a couple of days later with a fellow coworker- we followed his instructions and we are glad we did. I recall the perch came with homemade fried potato discs, very similar to Kansas City style cottage fries.

East Coast Original Frozen Custard  I always said the Great Lakes Region is frozen custard central. Cleveland is no exception and East Coast Frozen Custard doesn't disappoint. I last visited the Lyndhurst location back in 2011. 

Sadly Freddy's Rib House is no more- that was my introduction to a Polish Boy.

ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 21:32:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/08/09 12:49:31
That list helps a lot, Dale.  Thanks.

My way-too-early-if-I-get-the-time-off-from-work schedule looks like this.  I am assuming I will depart my place in Chicago early on a Tuesday.

Tuesday morning: breakfast at Shapiro's in Indianapolis

Tuesday lunch: burgers at Crabill's in Urbana, OH

Second Tuesday lunch: burgers at the Hamburger Wagon in Miamisburg, OH

Tuesday dinner: Blue Ash Chile in Blue Ash, OH with The Bonks; Or maybe a Red's game?!

Wednesday breakfast: The Breakfast Club in Lebanon

Wednesday lunch: burgers @ the Gahanna Grill with Michael and Lisa

Arrive into Cleveland Wednesday afternoon...

Danny

Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 21:44:08 (permalink)
The Bonks and ChiBears15 will definitely hit Gahanna Grill with the MichaelHoffmans for a (late?) lunch Wednesday. I should be good and hungry by the time we arrive.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/08/08 21:46:23
Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 21:52:02 (permalink)
To Buddyroadfood's earlier point: We love the lunch/dinner suggestions, so please keep them coming, but we also could use more breakfast/bakery ideas.

Definitely not my strong suit.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/08 23:01:54 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Some of my suggestions are very dated, especially my one breakfast choice. Breakfast isn't my usual forte since I usually end up at a coffee house. 
Jack's Deli and Sokolowksi's were already mentioned and goes without saying. In fact we just visited Sokolowski's last September on our big trip

Yours  Truly   Think "Key's Restaurant" in MSP- however this is the Cleveland version. A small Cleveland mini chain offering hearty breakfasts. I've been to the Beachwood location although my last visit was back in 2005. 

Balaton  Another Cleveland icon and an old Roadfood favorite located in Shaker Square that  also goes without saying- this is the other restaurant we visited on our big trip this past September. Fantastic Hungarian Fare-

Flat Iron Cafe  An old style tavern in the Flats. I first learned about this venerable Cleveland establishment in the Stern's Eat Your Way Across the USA book- I couldn't tell you about most of the menu but I've never been disappointed by the Lake Perch and "powerhouse pierogies". My last visit was back in 2012. 

Di Cillo Tavern  In suburban Mayfield Heights...Since 1933...yes 1933! Another old school tavern I stumbled upon after a power walk from my hotel when I was in Cleveland for CAT duty. Although I haven't been since my only visit in 2008, this would be the perfect place for a Midwestern fish fry. I remember when I first walked in, just to check the place out, a local at the bar told me "if they have yellow perch on the menu when you visit "get it" when I returned a couple of days later with a fellow coworker- we followed his instructions and we are glad we did. I recall the perch came with homemade fried potato discs, very similar to Kansas City style cottage fries.

East Coast Original Frozen Custard  I always said the Great Lakes Region is frozen custard central. Cleveland is no exception and East Coast Frozen Custard doesn't disappoint. I last visited the Lyndhurst location back in 2011. 

Sadly Freddy's Rib House is no more- that was my introduction to a Polish Boy.

I'll second the motion for Yours Truly.  I used to stop there semi-regularly when I was doing Cleveland demos.  They're a favorite of my distributor's lead sales rep for the chain of Heinen's grocery stores.  We'd meet there for breakfast before I'd head to whichever store I was working that day.  Take note; they have multiple locations.  Can't say for sure if any one is better than the others.  OTOH, we definitely hit gold with the St. Paul location of Keys, so it might be worth investigating which is their "original" store.

Speaking of Heinen's, they should be considered for a visit.  Like Byerly's in MSP, they're a lovely upscale grocery with lots of local products on the shelves.  Multiple locations, so once we've got a more solid itinerary, we can find the store that best suits our route.

Having seen the current list, I know Balaton and Flat Iron are already present.  De Cillo and East Coast Custard look like worthy additions.  Thank goodness they're both closer than 50 miles away.

No worries on getting a Polish Boy (or Polish Boy Deluxe, for that matter); Mt. Pleasant BBQ serves a fine version until 1am daily.  Also Mabel's, and, believe it or not Little Polish Diner in Parma!

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 00:13:37 (permalink)
Bonk
I didn't want to take any weekends off the board just because we couldn't make it, but with others also not being able to attend April 16-19 and Memorial weekend, I feel better about eliminating those dates.

So where are we in date picking? How much longer for the first round?
David

Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 00:21:32 (permalink)
ChiBears15

My way-too-early-if-I-get-the-time-off-from-work schedule looks like this.  I am assuming I will depart my place in Chicago early on a Tuesday.

Tuesday dinner: Blue Ash Chile in Blue Ash, OH with The Bonks; Or maybe a Red's game?!

Danny

How long before you tell us the rest of the stops for Tuesday and Wednesday?

wanderingjew
Hamburger
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 07:23:03 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

I'll second the motion for Yours Truly.  I used to stop there semi-regularly when I was doing Cleveland demos.  They're a favorite of my distributor's lead sales rep for the chain of Heinen's grocery stores.  We'd meet there for breakfast before I'd head to whichever store I was working that day.  Take note; they have multiple locations.  Can't say for sure if any one is better than the others.  OTOH, we definitely hit gold with the St. Paul location of Keys, so it might be worth investigating which is their "original" store.

Buddy

Ironically the original location of Yours Truly began in 1981 at the Beachwood location which is the one I visited . I was in home office at the time interviewing either for the Subrogation Supervisor or commercial claims position (I'm not sure, both happened in 2005 and I didn't get either position anyway) That was actually my second visit, my first was way back in 2001 when I went on a spur of the moment extended weekend road trip from Rhode Island to Cleveland

edit

Mt Pleasant BBQ seems like my kind of place. Now whenever I mention Cleveland Polish Boys to my coworker/friend JP why does he always respond with the word "twink" what's a "twink"???
post edited by wanderingjew - 2019/08/09 11:22:52
wanderingjew
Hamburger
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 07:42:23 (permalink)
ChiBears15

Danny

Chibears15...
I will probably drive too- Perhaps taking 80 coming in and 90 heading back (or the other way around). A full days 10 hour drive without stops either way- Since I now get more vacation time after my recent 15 year anniversary with my  company I'm not sure if I'll take the whole week off and do some ballparks on the way up and back, or just take 3 days and leave on Wednesday and come back on Sunday. We'll see.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9203
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 09:58:03 (permalink)
First, congratulations to Ralph and Lori!

ChiBears15

Tuesday breakfast: Triple XXX in Lafayette.
Second Tuesday breakfast: Shapiro's in Indianapolis.

FTFY.  Better yet, leave Monday night so you can have a Duane Purvis at Triple XXX for dinner...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5787
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 13:31:53 (permalink)
My friend who grew up near Akron offered some suggestions. I believe Akron is within range of the Crawlers, if only for Belgrade Gardens.
  • First, he is addicted to Barberton-style chicken and said that there are other options besides Belgrade Gardens worth trying. Perhaps Dale or Buddy is aware of these other choices.
  • The group seems to like tradition family-style meals. A trip to Hartville Kitchen for a family style Amish meal may be popular.
  • Contrary to popular belief, I understand that pizza in the United States originated in Canton, not Gary. Papa Bear's and Pizza Oven are solid examples of this style.
Please give these options some consideration.

Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 13:53:15 (permalink)
JRPfeff

• Contrary to popular belief, I understand that pizza in the United States originated in Canton, not Gary. Papa Bear's and Pizza Oven are solid examples of this style.

Not only was pizza originated in Canton, but Asian food was actually invented in Cleveland, and the first soup dumplings in all of history were served there. They were invented by a man named Supdump and his wife Ling.

LJ Shanghai

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 14:01:27 (permalink)
JRPfeff
My friend who grew up near Akron offered some suggestions. I believe Akron is within range of the Crawlers, if only for Belgrade Gardens.
  • First, he is addicted to Barberton-style chicken and said that there are other options besides Belgrade Gardens worth trying. Perhaps Dale or Buddy is aware of these other choices.
  • The group seems to like tradition family-style meals. A trip to Hartville Kitchen for a family style Amish meal may be popular.

Actually, I think buffetbuster is more of an expert on Barberton Fried Chicken.  He introduced me to Belgrade Gardens about ten years ago.  I'm aware of a couple of other places serving the specialty; White House Chicken and Village Inn, but haven't visited either of them.  There are probably more.

While I wouldn't discourage a side trip for Barberton Fried Chicken or any other Roadfood delights in the Akron/Canton Metroplex, I'm not sure how necessary it will be.  When I made my initial list in my head of potential Cleveland stops, I thought heading south would be unavoidable.  Having seen the starter list worked up by Bonk and ChiBears15, I'm not sure we'll have an opportunity to get out of Cleveland.

OTOH, if we were thinking about breaking free of Cleveland's gravitational pull, Barberton Fried Chicken would be the reason to do it.  And if we're gonna go all that way for a plate of Fried Chicken, we'd best build a tour around it.  As such, Hartville Kitchen and Papa Bear's look like they have solid potential.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5787
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 16:02:44 (permalink)
I nominate Schlotz to lead the Brewpub Selection (BS) Committee.
Davidsanders
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 17:34:15 (permalink)
Bonk

My contacts have been extremely helpful is giving ChiBears15 and I a plethora of wide-ranging options.

Getting lots of love for Sokolowskis, which was always going to be on the itinerary, and every single person who has given me feedback has touted Slyman's, so I think that's a must stop as well.

I'm wondering if we'll be able to see the semi-final dates anytime soon. I think you had said by Saturday. That would be very helpful for me if I can see what the final choices for a runoff will be. I have to make a choice for a free week very soon, by tomorrow at the latest, and would love to see where we are.

Thanks,
David

Bonk
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/09 19:34:40 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
JRPfeff

Actually, I think buffetbuster is more of an expert on Barberton Fried Chicken.  He introduced me to Belgrade Gardens about ten years ago.  I'm aware of a couple of other places serving the specialty; White House Chicken and Village Inn, but haven't visited either of them.  There are probably more.

While I wouldn't discourage a side trip for Barberton Fried Chicken or any other Roadfood delights in the Akron/Canton Metroplex, I'm not sure how necessary it will be.  When I made my initial list in my head of potential Cleveland stops, I thought heading south would be unavoidable.  Having seen the starter list worked up by Bonk and ChiBears15, I'm not sure we'll have an opportunity to get out of Cleveland.

OTOH, if we were thinking about breaking free of Cleveland's gravitational pull, Barberton Fried Chicken would be the reason to do it.  And if we're gonna go all that way for a plate of Fried Chicken, we'd best build a tour around it.  As such, Hartville Kitchen and Papa Bear's look like they have solid potential.

Buddy

ChiBears15 and I are both going to independently study the Barberton situation the next few months, and one of my best friends and someone who will almost certainly join us for a couple of stops has given me his recommendations, so we will thoroughly investigate the subject firsthand in the coming months.

But as of right now I'm inclined to venture into the Akron region. Canton, however, is about an hour from Cleveland and I don't see any must-stops at this point.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5