Helpful ReplyHot!The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
wanderingjew
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 09:13:06 (permalink)
ChiBears15
With next year's MLB schedule out, this changes my plans a bit.

Reds game on the 28th with John and Cathy 

I am going to take Brad's advice and I will visit the Triple X Diner on my way down to Cincinnati.

Danny

What sucks is both Philly and Pittsburgh are on the road the week I would depart for Cleveland.
I haven't been to a Phillies game since 05 and I haven't been to a Pirates game since 04. I can't believe it's been that long! Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the minor league schedules to come out. Depending on what happens  - Reading, Harrisburg, Altoona, Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Troy- surely one of these teams should be in town.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9300
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 09:29:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/08/13 12:50:10
BuddyRoadhouse
No arguments here.

Who are you, and how did you get access to Buddy's account?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23276
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 11:15:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/08/13 17:56:01
LIsa and I stopped at XXX on our way to the Chicago crawl. The root beer was good. The burgers almost rivaled McDonald's.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2019/08/13 11:16:28
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1218
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 11:54:07 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
LIsa and I stopped at XXX on our way to the Chicago crawl. The root beer was good. The burgers almost rivaled McDonald's.

High praise indeed.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 18:15:45 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Michael Hoffman

High praise indeed.

Davidsanders
Michael Hoffman

High praise indeed.

I certainly hope so. I seldom have the good fortune to find small, thin burgers that I cannot finish.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 18:15:45 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Michael Hoffman

High praise indeed.

Davidsanders
Michael Hoffman

High praise indeed.

I certainly hope so. I seldom have the good fortune to find small, thin burgers that I cannot finish.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5829
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/08/13 18:36:47 (permalink)
Michael is spot on.
Bonk
  • Total Posts : 1019
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/10/05 00:13:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/10/05 17:00:07
Hadn't updated in quite a while, so I wanted to check in. Had a very busy late August through September and now I'm ready to attack this thing.

In our travel to Lake Placid and Eastern Ontario last month, we drove through and ate in Cleveland both ways.

On the way up, we stayed with a couple of friends in Wadsworth, the pair I've talked about that has made a lot of recommendations and will join us for part of the 2020 Crawl.

We tried Belgrade Gardens for dinner. The significance of this is this place is it's about a half hour south of Cleveland. I'm leaning toward wanting it on the Crawl's final itinerary but wouldn't be heartbroken if it was left off.

It's in Barberton and is one of the top restaurants in the Barberton Chicken field.

The chicken is done with cornmeal, which is a little different, and was incredibly juicy.

The hot sauce thing I frankly didn't get, and it alone shouldn't lure us south of Cuyahoga County. But the sides and desserts make this a contender. I'll get some pictures up later, but between there and another stop we made, I think strong consideration should be given to a southern leg of this tour at some point over the weekend.

Next our friends took us to Michael Angelo's, a winery. Yes, a winery. 

I'm not a wine drinker, but for several reasons we should consider this as a food stop.

1) The place is huge. Accommodating a group our size plus all 31 NHL teams wouldn't be a problem. 
2) The desserts are amazing and inexpensive. Again, more photos later but just wanted to put this place on the map first.
3) They had lots of small-plate dishes that could easily be shared by the group. Each one looked better than the last, and the pizza looked incredible and our friends said they were delicious.
4) It's also kind-a-sorta on the way to or from Belgrade.

Again, just something to think about. Maybe the winery would be a good last official stop one night for desserts and wine after a dinner?

On the way back, I wasn't feeling adventuresome in terms of out-of-the-way driving, but a Slyman's was right off the exit and I had to try it. 

This one was in the 'burbs -- Beachwood to be exact -- and this one does have a good amount of room. 

This particular location may have more of a sports bar feel, but even on a day when a shorthanded waitstaff was clearly overwhelmed, the food was incredible. That cements my belief that this should a must-stop on this trip.

Every single person I've asked with ties to the area mentioned Slyman's. Every single one.

A suburban location may be better for room, and one is right next to a Melt! The Beachwood location offers a Sunday brunch buffet, something to consider for a going-away meal.

Again, pictures later, but the reuben was amazing and so were the latkes, which we got topped with chipped corned beef and Swiss cheese.

I will be posting plenty later, but I wanted everyone to know that Danny and I are still communicating and are committed to doing all we can to make the Cleveland Crawl a great one.

post edited by Bonk - 2019/10/06 06:10:05
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: The Official 2020 All-Encompassing Food Crawl Thread Sponsored by Taco Bell 2019/10/06 17:11:52 (permalink)
Thanks Bonk. I have no doubt that it will be a great time with all who can make it. Even Joe (anywhere but Cleveland) Rogo.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9300
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/08 09:09:47 (permalink)
FYI for baseball fans who may be attending, the Indians are hosting the Giants May 1-3.  I know this was mentioned before but I figured a reminder couldn't hurt.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/10/08 09:11:51
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/09 23:27:01 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
FYI for baseball fans who may be attending, the Indians are hosting the Giants May 1-3.  I know this was mentioned before but I figured a reminder couldn't hurt.

Yeah, as of right now we're planning on doing the Friday game.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6646
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/10 01:54:47 (permalink)
Bonk
ScreamingChicken

I know I said I was gonna bow out of the planning, but opting for the ballgame on Friday could be a mistake.  If Sokolowski's is going to be part of your itinerary (and it absolutely, positively should be), they only serve dinner on Friday and Saturday nights.  You could do Sokolowski's on Saturday, but you'll probably want to do Balaton that night as your big finisher.

The obvious answer is to go to the Thursday night game, but unfortunately, there is no Thursday night game.  See, you thought this was easy, didn't you?

Another scenario has us going to Balaton on Thursday and Sokolowski's on Saturday.  If you go that route it will give me an excuse to visit Sokolowski's twice on this Crawl.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/10 08:18:12 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk
ScreamingChicken

I know I said I was gonna bow out of the planning, but opting for the ballgame on Friday could be a mistake.  If Sokolowski's is going to be part of your itinerary (and it absolutely, positively should be), they only serve dinner on Friday and Saturday nights.  You could do Sokolowski's on Saturday, but you'll probably want to do Balaton that night as your big finisher.

The obvious answer is to go to the Thursday night game, but unfortunately, there is no Thursday night game.  See, you thought this was easy, didn't you?

Another scenario has us going to Balaton on Thursday and Sokolowski's on Saturday.  If you go that route it will give me an excuse to visit Sokolowski's twice on this Crawl.

Buddy

I'm hoping there will be a schedule that takes into the account those of us who won't be going to the game. Maybe Jeff will let me tag along to Sokolowski's the extra time.

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/10 11:51:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Davidsanders 2019/10/10 13:07:38
Two trips to Sokolowski's with Davidsanders would be a dream come true.  With so many entrees to share, the more Roadfooders to try them, the more we can order, and I know David will pitch in accordingly.

Oh, and there's Pie.

Buddy
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/10 16:27:21 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk
ScreamingChicken

Buddy

Just couldn't help yourself, could you? 

Couldn't we just do dinner at, say, 5 or 5:30 on Friday? It's cafeteria style, so it shouldn't take forever to eat, right?

And we'd be right next to the park that way.
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/10 16:47:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/10/10 23:34:59
Danny and I were talking, and I've mentioned this to the Nagles as well, but how do people coming in early feel about trying to do Lola on Wednesday night?

It's pricey, no doubt, and I haven't been myself, but I definitely want to try it and it really seems like we should try the best-rated restaurant in the city.

Everyone I know who has gone has raved about it.

It's still very early in the game, I know, but I just wanted to start the discussion.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/11 01:51:21 (permalink)
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk

Buddy

Couldn't we just do dinner at, say, 5 or 5:30 on Friday? It's cafeteria style, so it shouldn't take forever to eat, right?

Definitely the simplest solution.  I was thinking in terms of watching the post-game fireworks show from the vantage of Sokolowski's front window.  But I suppose the folks who don't go to the game can do that while the rest of the folks can watch it from inside Progressive Field.

There would be a significant time gap for those staying behind.  Finish eating by roughly 6:30, then hang around until 10-10:30 for the fireworks.  Of course, Sokolowski's is located in the historic, and resurgent, Tremont District, so we could wander around until it was time for the display, then head back to Sokolowski's and grab an adult beverage while we watch the bombs bursting in air.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/11 02:24:45 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk
BuddyRoadhouse
Bonk

Buddy

Definitely the simplest solution.  I was thinking in terms of watching the post-game fireworks show from the vantage of Sokolowski's front window.  But I suppose the folks who don't go to the game can do that while the rest of the folks can watch it from inside Progressive Field.

There would be a significant time gap for those staying behind.  Finish eating by roughly 6:30, then hang around until 10-10:30 for the fireworks.  Of course, Sokolowski's is located in the historic, and resurgent, Tremont District, so we could wander around until it was time for the display, then head back to Sokolowski's and grab an adult beverage while we watch the bombs bursting in air.

Buddy

I was going to suggest that if we wouldn't be able to get a table for the entire group at Sokolowski's anyway, maybe we could just divide into two groups, with the non-game people coming later. However, after a cursory glance at the Tremont District link, I think there would be plenty of places to possibly try a couple of small items, maybe some churned ice cream. I'll need to look it over more carefully as we get closer, to see how late places are open.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/11 02:40:37 (permalink)
Really, there's little chance of not getting a table, or at least a designated area, for our entire group.  Sokolowski's has an expansive dining area.  But yeah, there's more than enough to explore in the surrounding neighborhood if it comes down to that.

Buddy
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/12 12:56:24 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Really, there's little chance of not getting a table, or at least a designated area, for our entire group.  Sokolowski's has an expansive dining area.  But yeah, there's more than enough to explore in the surrounding neighborhood if it comes down to that.

Buddy

That's good to know, thanks. Having not been there I wasn't sure of the size of Sokolowski's. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/12 18:08:47 (permalink)
It's first come, first served, but there are enough tables; we should be able to strategize our own corner of the room.

Buddy
Bonk
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/14 21:20:21 (permalink)
I'm going to throw this out there now because I have no idea of the interest level:

Who, if anyone, is interested in visiting the Pro Football HOF in Canton? We're very much in favor of doing an Akron-Barberton leg, but it would be very helpful from a planning perspective to know if that's something people interested parties want to do.

Same question about the R&R HOF. The Nagles already indicated they want to go, so I'd like to see how many others would also want to go.

post edited by Bonk - 2019/10/14 21:22:05
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/14 23:19:30 (permalink)
Bonk
I'm going to throw this out there now because I have no idea of the interest level:

Who, if anyone, is interested in visiting the Pro Football HOF in Canton? We're very much in favor of doing an Akron-Barberton leg, but it would be very helpful from a planning perspective to know if that's something people interested parties want to do.

Same question about the R&R HOF. The Nagles already indicated they want to go, so I'd like to see how many others would also want to go.

What is the R&R?

I'm not interested in visiting the football hall of fame.

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 00:19:28 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Bonk

What is the R&R?

David

Rock & Roll, dude.  Get with the lingo ya big square.

I'm not especially interested in the Football HOF, and only moderately interested in the Rock & Roll HOF.  Not to worry.  If the group ends up going there, we might visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.  Also, the area where the R&R HOF is located is a museum/cultural campus, home to the Steamship William G. Mather Museum, and the Great Lakes Science Center.

FWIW, also located near the art museum (near the Case Western University campus), the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum (looks pretty cool), and the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland.

Maybe the best thing to do is to set aside a couple of hours and let folks visit whichever cultural establishment they prefer.

Or go take a nap.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 10:15:43 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
Bonk

What is the R&R?

David

Rock & Roll, dude.  Get with the lingo ya big square.

I'm not especially interested in the Football HOF, and only moderately interested in the Rock & Roll HOF.  Not to worry.  If the group ends up going there, we might visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.  Also, the area where the R&R HOF is located is a museum/cultural campus, home to the Steamship William G. Mather Museum, and the Great Lakes Science Center.

FWIW, also located near the art museum (near the Case Western University campus), the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum (looks pretty cool), and the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland.

Maybe the best thing to do is to set aside a couple of hours and let folks visit whichever cultural establishment they prefer.

Or go take a nap.

Buddy

I would definitely be interested in going to the Botanical Gardens.

David

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 10:56:53 (permalink)
There will be a group stop at 3159 W 11th St.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 11:08:50 (permalink)
I triple-dog-dare you.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 11:49:53 (permalink)
R & R HOF is a must!
phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 11:51:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/10/15 11:59:21
I enjoyed the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum very much when I was there some years back.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The Gregg Pill Memorial Cleveland Food Crawl thread - April 30-May 3, 2020 2019/10/15 11:51:28 (permalink)
Good golly, that idea was even more brilliant than I imagined. Just across the street is Rowley's Inn, neighborhood watering hole since 1906 offering local beers & regional grub, plus arcade games & TVs. Their menu looks pretty awesome.

From the website:

Making "A Christmas story" 

The Rowley Inn was, in our opinion, a very integral part of the filming of the movie "A Christmas Story" due to in part our location.  We are located across the street from the famed house and would like to think that if "the old man" were to drink somewhere, it would be here.  During the filming the upstairs of the building served as a location for make-up and wardrobe, and the bar served as a location for post-filming "meetings".  Many extras in the movie were patrons who regularly frequented the bar and were there at a minutes notice when someone was needed, and several even still live in the neighborhood.  For more information visit their website for the "A Christmas Story" house and museum.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5