"The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles

Author
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2005/11/17 21:05:34 (permalink)

"The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles

I saw this place mentioned on the Food channel for top ten breakfasts or something like that. It looks like the same place I remember visiting several years back. I was told at that time that most of the waiters were ex-cons that the manager hired to help get them back in life on the outside. We had steaks that were melt in your mouth tender and delicious. Anybody else remember this place or was I smokin' something strange?

8 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23238
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/17 21:29:43 (permalink)
    I don't know about former inmates, but the place, which is owned by the former mayor of Los Angeles, Richard Riordan, has been open for the past 73 years.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/17 22:04:37 (permalink)
    For me, this was one of the very few Roadfood BUSTS. I remember a very butter-laden plate of eggs and bacon, but not fondly. Nice atmosphere, but nothing special.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1757
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/17 23:51:00 (permalink)
    Just about the best hash browns I've ever had.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/18 07:37:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Just about the best hash browns I've ever had.

Really? The Hash Browns that I was served at The Original Pantry were uniformly white and tasteless. It was pretty obvious that these were the previous night's baked potatoes that were just scooped out and reheated on the grill. No onion, no seasonings that I could detect. While they were edible, these Hash Browns were certainly not tasty. Yes, I know that I should have ordered them "well-done" or stated that I wanted them browned, but in a NJ diner, you don't have to specify that, so I was not prepared for this white mass of unseasoned potatoes.

Overall, I found the atmosphere and the legend of The Original Pantry to be more appealing than the food. Although I had a few meals there, the only detail about the food that I recall is the bad Hash Browns. If I had been served anything that was particularly good, I think that I would remember that detail also, as my memory of restaurant meals is normally quite vivid. Truthfully, in comparison to a good NJ diner, I found the Original Pantry to be wanting in everything except atmosphere.

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/18 08:43:32 (permalink)
    Tedbear,
    Where in NJ do you find the hash browns particularly good? For the most part, of late I've been pretty dissatisfied.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/18 08:50:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Tedbear,
    Where in NJ do you find the hash browns particularly good? For the most part, of late I've been pretty dissatisfied.

Hmmmm....I'm trying to remember which diners had good Hash Browns. I have been avoiding this dish for a while as part of my effort to lose a few pounds. But, if my memory is correct, I think that the Felix #9 Diner in Bridgewater had good Hash Browns. However, the management changed recently, so I cannot assure you that they will still be good. But still, the place is worth a try if you are on Rt. 22.

(Note for those who are not from NJ--As far as I know, there are no Felix #1--#8 diners. The origin of this somewhat strange name is unknown to me.)
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/18 09:26:24 (permalink)
    Tedbear,
    The Felix #9 is currently doing renovation. I don't know if they're open. I frequent Fuddrucker's across the road at least once a week for their ostrich burger.

I know I've occasionally found good hash browns at White Diamond in Clark over the years, but haven't been there in some time. I've been watching my weight as well. Problem in any case is that you have to get there early. Once they finish with the breakfast crowd, they make no more for the day.
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: "The Original Pantry" in Los Angeles 2005/11/18 10:45:01 (permalink)
    I had breakfast at this place every Friday for about 5 years. Hash browns were so-so but the bacon was by far the best I've ever had !
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5