Helpful ReplyThe Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101

Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3594
2018/10/20 09:23:02 (permalink)

The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101

Order Broasted chicken and you get this beautiful, golden, crunchy outside, juicy inside, slightly salty piece of poultry goodness. That's fried chicken. Right?
Wrong. 
Kinda.
Broasted chicken is fried in oil. But it is fried, in essence, inside a pressure cooker. Generically speaking, the machinery that can fry and pressure cook chicken simultaneously is known as a pressure fryer. 
However, to be Genuine Broaster Chicken requires more than a pressure fryer. The Wisconsin supper club staple food has gone worldwide now, but it all traces back to a 65-year-old Wisconsin institution, complete with patents and a carefully guarded secret recipe. And that story takes us to Beloit, home of Broasted chicken.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/life/food/2018/10/17/broasted-chicken-wisconsin-supper-club-favorite-invented-beloit/746451002/ 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7061
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 09:50:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/10/20 11:44:20
Thank you, MFL !

I've been a HUGE fan of Broasted Chicken since I first had it circa 1956 near Pittsburgh.  Even though we, as a family, did not generally patronize places that served alcohol my grandfather, knowing I LOVED fried chicken, took me to this bar that served Broasted Chicken.  It was OMG good, love at first bite!

Since I have enjoyed it everywhere I could find it:  the late, great Whitey's in Arlington, VA, the wonderful Breezy Heights Tavern in Avella, PA (which I learned about here on Roadfood), and anywhere else I could find it.

Here's the Broaster Locator
Why not see if it's your lucky day?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8668
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 10:28:36 (permalink)
RoadFooder rumaki, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone...

As I read the article I noticed something interesting: "Broasted" and "Broaster" always have a capital B.

Over the years I've seen many menus where those words aren't capitalized.  If a restaurant uses a Broaster fryer but not the Broaster seasonings, can it legally say the chicken is "broasted" or is it restricted to "pressure fried" or something similar?  Because I can say with a fair degree of certainty that "broasted" chicken varies from place to place.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3594
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 11:27:04 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
…..  If a restaurant uses a Broaster fryer but not the Broaster seasonings, can it legally say the chicken is "broasted" or is it restricted to "pressure fried" or something similar?  Because I can say with a fair degree of certainty that "broasted" chicken varies from place to place.

<<<<<packaged spice blends and coatings — Broaster has about 50 different varieties>>>>>>>>

I see two of my very favorite Wisco restaurants, Suster's in Denmark and Gosses in Sheboygan, are featured. Now Gosses is my favorite Wisco charcoal double brat, cb, steak sandwich and pork chop sandwich but it never fails that a local sitting inside says, I "have" to come back for the chicken. My problem is the aforementioned items are so good and so inaccessible in Milwaukee that I've never tried the Broasted chicken.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7061
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 11:32:20 (permalink)
Yes, you have a point there, SC ...

As their video explains their founder copyrighted "Broasted" and Broaster", hence, those serving the 'real deal' capitalize both terms.

And, the meat of genuine Broasted Chicken is pleasantly salty.  As I learned long ago at Whitey's it goes extremely well with beer. And, (don't knock it until you try it) sour cream is an excellent complement to it.

As for "pressure frying", both KFC and Pollo Campero (very tasty in its own right) use the technique.  That is, pressure frying is necessary, but not sufficient.

So yes, both the seasonings and the technique are necessary for true Broasted Chicken.
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1428
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 12:01:59 (permalink)
You cannot copyright a name. You can register it as a trademark or service mark.  You can patent a process. You can copyright a recipe.
BayouCityNosh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 12:42:34 (permalink)
The brand is not common down here but I have tracked it down a couple of times in the past.  Both times I tried it I had to drive 30 mins plus and what I got was not hot and fresh.  One place was an Exxon station, the other actually a brick and mortar location probably started by someone missing the experience back home.  The teen boy who was the only person on duty was telling me the special feature was that it was fried in rice bran oil.  They didn't last long - the name just doesn't mean anything down here.  I don't know if the Exxon station still offers it.

I hope I get to experience the product done right some day. 

The locator posted by MetroplexJim won't work for me for some reason.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 14:29:44 (permalink)
rumaki
You cannot copyright a name. You can register it as a trademark or service mark.  You can patent a process. You can copyright a recipe.

Actually, you cannot copyright a recipe, at its core. You can copyright one as part of a cookbook or as a descriptive narrative, but the measures and procedure cannot be copyrighted. That's why most chefs keep their recipe books close to the vest in their restaurants or go ahead and write a cookbook. Lot's of line cooks and sous chefs who go on to other places quite often take recipes that they have cooked elsewhere with tem. And there's nothing that their former boss can really do about it.

https://www.finedininglov...ou-copiright-a-recipe/
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11853
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 16:05:42 (permalink)
We used to have a chain called Chicken Delight that sold Broasted Chicken.

"Don't cook tonight, Call Chicken Delight!"
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1428
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 18:09:11 (permalink)
Chicken Delight was our Sunday night supper for years when I was growing up. They went out of business due to supply disputes with their franchisees. I really think their chicken was not all that good. The fried shrimp was better. The pizza crust was awful, although it could be improved a bit when you reheated it. I have had much better broasted chicken since.

As for copyrighting recipes, you are correct that the factual ingredients list cannot be copyrighted. 'Facts' are not copyrightable.I was referring to the descriptive version of a recipe. I am sorry if I was not clear.

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11853
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 21:20:19 (permalink)
We lived within a mile of the Chicken Delight and we never had it.  It was on the corner of our street and the cross street.  My mother must have thought it was fattening.  Never had mashed potatoes, either.
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: The Supper Club favorite-Broasted Chicken 101 2018/10/20 21:50:52 (permalink)
Growing up and raising a family in western Wisconsin near the Twin Cities, one or two restaurants plus one grocery store in most small towns would serve the genuine "Broaster" chicken .  Not as good as my mother's, we tended to get it only when there were more people to feed than my mother felt like frying for.  Though my favorite was always the Jojo potato wedges anyway.  
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5