Hot!The Wendy's fish sandwich

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2571
2016/04/12 11:10:22 (permalink)

The Wendy's fish sandwich

The Wendy's fish sandwich is really good. I understand that it is made with FRESH North Pacific Cod. The supply chain must be very difficult, but it works to get the fish out to us in Massachusetts while it is still fresh and sweet. If it were served at "Al & Linda's Seafood Shack" or some such place, it would still be really good.

30 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2370
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 11:34:01 (permalink)
    There is no way that a ff chain would or could use fresh fish. Who is going to batter it? The little cup cakes that can't put the right food in the bag for you in the drive through?

From the website........No mention of Fresh Fish.
    https://www.wendys.com/en...um-cod-fillet-sandwich
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11411
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 12:16:12 (permalink)
    chefbuba
    There is no way that a ff chain would or could use fresh fish. Who is going to batter it? The little cup cakes that can't put the right food in the bag for you in the drive through?

I agree.  I even doubt that it's hand cut.  I worked for a value-added fish company in Alaska.  It's all done with machines so every piece is exactly the same size and weight.  But, hey, if it's a good product, who cares?
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4696
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 14:00:03 (permalink)
    lleechef
    chefbuba

I agree.  I even doubt that it's hand cut.  I worked for a value-added fish company in Alaska.  It's all done with machines so every piece is exactly the same size and weight.  But, hey, if it's a good product, who cares?

Maybe WJ will do a fish smackdown in PIT...Wendy's vs. Wholey's
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 15:17:19 (permalink)
    I went back to get one today, but no more, and the manager said that they will not be back. He said that the sandwich had been sold "below cost", and had not sold all that well. I had not seen the replies to this thread, so I didn't ask him to confirm that it had been "fresh north pacific cod", as told to me by an asst mgr a few weeks ago.

Now they have fries with ghost pepper sauce........I will not be trying them.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 15:33:10 (permalink)
    Tmiles, I think it's good that they use never frozen beef for their burgers. This isn't real easy for a fast food chain to accomplish. It's to bad they didn't keep the fish sand on the menu I would have tried it. I know even in my business I had a hard time selling a cheaper fish sand that was good. I don't think we could ask anything more from a FF chain if they are serving fresh cut fries and fresh burgers.

From the Wendy's site:
    Among the ingredients in our kitchens, you’ll find hand-leafed lettuce, in-season strawberries and blueberries right from the fields, Applewood Smoked Bacon, center-cut chicken breasts, whole baked potatoes and, of course, fresh, never frozen beef hamburger patties.

Freshly Prepared

Our hamburgers are made from fresh, never frozen beef, and served on quality buns from select bakeries. Our hamburgers don’t sit under a warming lamp or on a steam table. They come off the grill onto the bun and into our customer’s hands.
    Our salads are prepared fresh each day in our restaurants with 11 types of greens, fresh toppings like red and green apples, natural cheeses - served with all-natural, no-preservative salad dressings.
    Our Natural-Cut French fries, seasoned with sea salt, are served hot and crispy from the fryer. The list goes on.
    Making sure every customer receives the freshest food is who we are. It’s the way we’ve done it from Day One. And it’s the way we always will.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 19:03:31 (permalink)
    Things must have changed at Wendy's. When my oldest worked at a Wendy's while in high school every so often they'd take the unsold -- cooked -- burger patties and refrigerate them to be crumbled up for making the chili.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 20:56:27 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Things must have changed at Wendy's. When my oldest worked at a Wendy's while in high school every so often they'd take the unsold -- cooked -- burger patties and refrigerate them to be crumbled up for making the chili.

All things considered the Chili is OK even if it contains beans
    Ghaz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 287
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/12 22:27:53 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I worked with a guy who worked at Wendy's in the mid '90's and he said the same thing.
    post edited by Ghaz - 2016/04/12 22:29:07
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/13 18:46:50 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I asked my brother who works for the little red headed girl about this , he said if you can prove it , call the corporate office and let them know.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/13 20:40:14 (permalink)
    I know a guy who worked with a guy who's next door neighbors son had a girlfriend that her dad worked with that had a employee of his that worked in the cafeteria that knew someone who knew a person that worked at Wendy's. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 12:35:16 (permalink)
    Uncle Groucho
    Michael Hoffman

I asked my brother who works for the little red headed girl about this , he said if you can prove it , call the corporate office and let them know.

Well, my daughter was working at a Wendy's in the '70s. Perhaps things have changed. Since Dave died lots of things have changed -- for instance, they got rid of their jet aircraft. But I'd bet they still do that for the chili.
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 13:16:41 (permalink)
    Maybe , but I hope not.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5240
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 15:00:27 (permalink)
    I worked at Wendy's in the early 80s

We did save unsold burger patties in an pan underneath the grill that were later added to the beef for the chili

This was standard procedure

That said, the chili was cooked for many hours on high heat - it boiled and bubbled - prior to service
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 16:17:52 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    I know a guy who worked with a guy who's next door neighbors son had a girlfriend that her dad worked with that had a employee of his that worked in the cafeteria that knew someone who knew a person that worked at Wendy's. 

.....and sold used cars!!!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 17:50:44 (permalink)
    Every time this comes up (and it does repeatedly over the years), I think to myself, is it bad to use the unsold patties? There's nothing wrong with them. They're not leftovers in the sense that someone didn't finish what was on their plate, they're leftovers exactly how I get them at my house: too much cooked food. What are they supposed to do with them, throw them away? Waste all that food and money? Since every time it comes up someone mentions they are only allowed to keep cooked burgers on the grill for so long and then they're placed in a warming drawer/pan underneath the grill to be made into chili, it's not like they're storing them in an unsafe way. Burger patties live on steam tables for hours and hours and it's acceptable to the health department, so this is pretty much the same. It's not like the drawer is open on top and everything from the grill drains into it. Would it be better if instead they put them in the refrigerator until they're used for chili?

It's unsold burgers, not poison.

As for the fish sandwich, it was a limited time thing for Lent, so of course it's gone now. But nowhere in their PR does it mention anything about it being fresh. All it says is hand-cut. I would imagine if it really was never frozen and breaded in-store they would be all over that like they are about their never frozen burgers, wouldn't you?
    post edited by felix4067 - 2016/04/14 17:54:40
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/14 19:51:09 (permalink)
    I didn't throw away the small piece of prime rib that didn't sell.  It got turned into beef barley soup or something similar.  I see nothing wrong with adding already cooked burgers to a huge steam kettle of chili.
    eruby
    • Total Posts : 1061
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/15 06:59:41 (permalink)
    felix4067 and lleechef, please Stop Making Sense. We can't have that around here.

(David Byrne approves of this post)

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10304
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/16 12:39:26 (permalink)
    I like Wendys chili, and have no objection to them using unsold cooked burgers in it. And lleechef is right- in the kitchens I worked in, we always used cooked unsold meat in other dishes.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2380
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/16 13:27:22 (permalink)
    ann peeples
    I like Wendys chili, and have no objection to them using unsold cooked burgers in it. And lleechef is right- in the kitchens I worked in, we always used cooked unsold meat in other dishes.

I've known Wendy's did this forever, and so does most other FF Restaurants that sell chili.    In the 'penny-pinching' business of food restaurants, you DON"T throw your 'profits' away.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6619
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2016/04/16 19:37:48 (permalink)
    Random responses:

1)  tmiles' post got me all hot for a Wendy's Fish Sandwich; went today (in Dallas) and was told they were no longer offering it, but that "it will be back".  I pulled out and slaked my hunger with an Italian Beef from Al's #1 washed down with Mountain Dew.

2)  Last week I tried their ghost pepper spicy chicken.  It was delicious (and messy); I needed the Chocolate Frosty to moderate the heat while consuming it.

3)  Wendy's 'small chili' on their $1. menu is the "best buy" in all of FF.  I am in no way "put off" by their perfectly sanitary use of cooked fresh ground beef that has sat in a warming tray for 20 minutes or so, then refrigerated, and boiled for several hours.

4)  Believe it or not, Wendy's pulled pork BBQ w/ spicy sauce sandwich is really good excellent for FF.  I eagerly await its return.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/01/30 13:51:18 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Random responses:

1)  tmiles' post got me all hot for a Wendy's Fish Sandwich; went today (in Dallas) and was told they were no longer offering it, but that "it will be back".  I pulled out and slaked my hunger with an Italian Beef from Al's #1 washed down with Mountain Dew.................

The fish sandwich is back in our local market. Another poster mentioned Lent, but it seems a little early for that.  
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 12:44:50 (permalink)
    I have had the fish sandwich several times this go around, and yesterday the manager confirmed to me that the fish is FRESH, not frozen. Maybe she lied.  

I buy "fresh" fish as WalMart several times a month. It is factory vacum packed by Slade Gorton, and I note that when it is first put out for retail, it still has a "sell by" date of a week into the future. I wonder how long it takes salmon from Chile, Haddock from Iceland, or talipia from God knows where to make it through the cold chain to my store?? Air freight must be involved. 
    post edited by tmiles - 2017/02/09 12:53:41
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 14:41:01 (permalink)
    We often grab a bite after Wednesday night church, and since Wendy's is popular with our teenagers, and located conveniently, well, there you have it.   I had the fish several times this past Lenten season and found it pretty decent for a fast food sandwich; much better than McDonald's or Burger Kings offerings.   And for the record, there is nothing wrong about using leftover cooked burger for chili.  
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 16:44:02 (permalink)
    tmiles
    I have had the fish sandwich several times this go around, and yesterday the manager confirmed to me that the fish is FRESH, not frozen. Maybe she lied.  

I buy "fresh" fish as WalMart several times a month. It is factory vacum packed by Slade Gorton, and I note that when it is first put out for retail, it still has a "sell by" date of a week into the future. I wonder how long it takes salmon from Chile, Haddock from Iceland, or talipia from God knows where to make it through the cold chain to my store?? Air freight must be involved. 

Dude!  You're in MA!  You can't find fresh fish?  Milbury to Boston is only about 45 miles.  Well worth it for really FRESH fish!!!
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10091
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 16:55:53 (permalink)
    lleechef
    tmiles

Dude!  You're in MA!  You can't find fresh fish?  Milbury to Boston is only about 45 miles.  Well worth it for really FRESH fish!!!

I haven't seen much discussion from tmiles about roadfood
    I've invited tmiles to come to our Boston Meetups too but he's opted not to join us and that's sad because we've had quite a few in the Worcester area.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 16:56:35 (permalink)
    Fresh fish is easy to find here. What I find interesting is that my local Wendy prefers North Pacific Cod, from far away. A lot of local restaurants have direct relationships with family fishing companies, as I'm sure that you did when you were here. Even "99", an otherwise average chain, gets all of their fish from one of just a few boats, owned by a local company.

One reason that a local fish restaurant quit (and rented the space to the British Beer chain), is that the senior member of the family could no longer drive to Boston EVERY DAY, with coolers in the back seat, to buy fish off the boat. I run into  him now and then at 7-11. He enjoys retirement, but I think that he misses it.
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 703
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 17:27:33 (permalink)
    tmiles
    Fresh fish is easy to find here. What I find interesting is that my local Wendy prefers North Pacific Cod, from far away. A lot of local restaurants have direct relationships with family fishing companies, as I'm sure that you did when you were here. Even "99", an otherwise average chain, gets all of their fish from one of just a few boats, owned by a local company.

One reason that a local fish restaurant quit (and rented the space to the British Beer chain), is that the senior member of the family could no longer drive to Boston EVERY DAY, with coolers in the back seat, to buy fish off the boat. I run into  him now and then at 7-11. He enjoys retirement, but I think that he misses it.

Wendy's is not a local restaurant...purchasing done on the corporate level.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/09 18:52:48 (permalink)
    If fresh fish is easy to find where you are, why the hell are you buying Gorton's from WalMart????  That is not FRESH fish.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    Re: The Wendy's fish sandwich 2017/02/10 08:48:14 (permalink)
    lleechef
    If fresh fish is easy to find where you are, why the hell are you buying Gorton's from WalMart????  That is not FRESH fish.

Because I'm already there.  Fresh(er) salmon from A&P Fish is better/cheaper, and that is where I stop if I'm passing by, but as any lazy person can tell you, one stop shopping is quicker/easier.  www.apfishcompany.com (this is the web site for the wholesale div,,,,I buy RETAIL on Grafton St in Worcester)

post edited by tmiles - 2017/02/10 08:54:22
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5