Hot!The longest lived pot of chili in history?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/14 09:27:47 (permalink)

The longest lived pot of chili in history?

Did I make and eat the longest lived pot of Texas Chili in history? Well, probably not, but it makes for a good story. The year was 1969, I don't recall the exact month of fall, but it was deer season in Burnet in Central Texas.
I'd mustered out of the military after a year of solitude on a remote site in Alaska. My preceding assignment had been a scenic tour of portions of South VietNam that were popular with everyone at that time. I had a lot of things to try to sort out in my mind and when my Dad told me there was still a spot open in their deer lease I jumped on it.
I got to the ranch that first morning and unloaded the truck, then headed for my blind. I found it easily, despite not having been on the ranch for several years. Daylight seemed slow in coming but when it finally arrived there were several does in sight. I waited for a young buck and easily collected him.
I field dressed the buck, then took him back to the camp house and skinned him out. I cut enough meat off the poorer cuts to start a pot of chili, chopped the onion and garlic and lit a fire in the wood stove. A few hours later I was savoring the first venison chili I'd had in several years.
The next day I seared more meat and added it to the pot, simmering it to tenderize the whole batch. It didn't make any sense to me to wash out the Dutch oven, it stayed around freezing all the time until I fired up that old cook stove and added more venison.
After a few days of this I began to see the humor in it, then I decided to let that pot ride the cook stove for the rest of my stay. I did go into town one day for supplies, and ate a cheese burger and fries, then drank a beer or two. I counted it up later and that pot of chili was never empty for eighteen days. I never regretted doing it and it caught me up on my craving for good Texas Venison Chili for a few weeks.

44 Replies Related Threads

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/14 12:39:17 (permalink)
    Any beans in that chili?
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/14 16:13:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Any beans in that chili?

Well, I never! Are you suggesting I'd ruin good Texas White Tail Chili by adding legumes? I've made a bazillion pots of Pinto beans and almost that many of fine Blackeyed Pea Hopping John, but I'll never admit to desecrating Venison Chili by adding legumes.
    The Great Terlingua Chili War between Chili gourmet Francis X. Tolbert and Wick Fowler was still being hotly contested in those days. Tolbert had written "A Bowl of Red" in 1962, and Wick Fowler had become a charter member and helped spread CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International, Inc.). He even opened a Chapter in Vietnam in 1969. Nope, I'd never admit to that sin.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/14 20:43:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Any beans in that chili?
    And tomatoes?
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/14 23:23:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt
    And tomatoes?

Well, old Wick Fowler won his World Championship in 1970 with tomato sauce in his entry. If there were any beans in the house they weren't in the chili. :-)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/15 01:41:44 (permalink)
    Great story, dickestep. The Chinese have a red "master sauce" that they keep replenishing the same way. IS it any coincidence that yours is a "pot of red" too?

dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/15 04:00:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

Great story, dickestep. The Chinese have a red "master sauce" that they keep replenishing the same way. IS it any coincidence that yours is a "pot of red" too?

I'd think it's entirely coincidental, Ed. That does sound like an interesting sauce. I'll have to look it up, thank you.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/15 06:23:15 (permalink)
    quote:

I am sure that somebody knows the name of the place that deep fries their hamburgers in the same grease as when they started many, many years ago.

mark
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 00:38:42 (permalink)
    D'STEP,
    Such a beautiful story! Lot's of us 60's Vets. hanging around here. Guess we could do worse with our spare time. I seem to have a lot of that. Thats what the little woman tells me.
    You sure did set straight our friend, Mike S. on them beans!! Don't get me wrong now, I like my beans and my chili, but ain't sure the two should ever meet. Kinda like puttin two entrees on the table for supper! You seem to be pretty well up on good Chuckwagon chili, them wild animals and stuff like that! By the way, friends and I enjoy showing off a for real 1880's Chuckwagon which is carefully stored away and we pull it out for special events. We draw a little camera attention from time to time. Been sorta featured on two different Food Channel episodes of Festivals.
    We feel a little bit famous.You know, that 15 minute thing.
    Yours Truly,
    Rouxdog,
    Alias, Dean Lollar
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 03:24:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

D'STEP,
    Such a beautiful story! Lot's of us 60's Vets. hanging around here. Guess we could do worse with our spare time. I seem to have a lot of that. Thats what the little woman tells me.
    You sure did set straight our friend, Mike S. on them beans!! Don't get me wrong now, I like my beans and my chili, but ain't sure the two should ever meet. Kinda like puttin two entrees on the table for supper! You seem to be pretty well up on good Chuckwagon chili, them wild animals and stuff like that! By the way, friends and I enjoy showing off a for real 1880's Chuckwagon which is carefully stored away and we pull it out for special events. We draw a little camera attention from time to time. Been sorta featured on two different Food Channel episodes of Festivals.
    We feel a little bit famous.You know, that 15 minute thing.
    Yours Truly,
    Rouxdog,
    Alias, Dean Lollar

R'dog, Dick is about 40 years late setting me straight about beans and chili. The bean question was a barb directed at him because he knows I know better. Both my parents came out of Texas. His paternal Grandpa, my maternal, lived in Texas many years. Belive he was born in Arkansas though. Both my Paternal g'parents were Texas natives. I have more relations living in Texas then anywhere else.

But I like pintos in my chili. I'll make a classic pot of red a couple 3 times a year but usually I use hamburger and beans with tomatoes
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 03:27:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dickestep

quote:

Any beans in that chili?

Well, I never! Are you suggesting I'd ruin good Texas White Tail Chili by adding legumes? I've made a bazillion pots of Pinto beans and almost that many of fine Blackeyed Pea Hopping John, but I'll never admit to desecrating Venison Chili by adding legumes.
    >Snipped>
    Nope, I'd never admit to that sin.

Just because you'd never admit to it doesn't mean it never happened
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 04:54:43 (permalink)

D'STEP,

Thank you, Rouxdog. Welcome home and thank you for your service. I consider cooking a good therapy, and my exes may not miss me, but you can be certain they miss my cooking!

That Mike is somethin', isn't he? I can recall when he was the littlest one at Grannies. That was, uh, several years ago. Yes sir, I've cooked over wood fires and with other improvised fuels in military camps, fish camps, hunting camps, and on more than a few cow roundups, trail rides, and biker runs.

dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 05:06:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    [br
    R'dog, Dick is about 40 years late setting me straight about beans and chili. The bean question was a barb directed at him because he knows I know better. Both my parents came out of Texas. His paternal Grandpa, my maternal, lived in Texas many years. Belive he was born in Arkansas though. Both my Paternal g'parents were Texas natives. I have more relations living in Texas then anywhere else.

But I like pintos in my chili. I'll make a classic pot of red a couple 3 times a year but usually I use hamburger and beans with tomatoes

You're right, Mike. Grampaw was born in Arkansas as was Dad and so forth back to Elijah, who was born in North Carolina in 1772. Elijah's the one who moved west.
    I'd never disown you for cooking a bowl of Chili Beans, because you know the difference between them and Chili.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 05:06:45 (permalink)
    quote:

But I like pintos in my chili. I'll make a classic pot of red a couple 3 times a year but usually I use hamburger and beans with tomatoes[}:)
    It's a California thing.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 05:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:

I've never cooked mutton, either, and I've never admitted to it. I'd hand in my spurs first, I reckon. I will own up to making a big pot of Green Chili Stew out of a young billy goat one of the exe's Paw had he wanted rid of. The Billy Goat Green Chili turned out pretty good, and I got a rise out of the ex when I skinned the goat out using my Harley.
    rouxdog
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 05:39:08 (permalink)
    Dickestep, you're a ringtailtooter! Think I love YOU! Well not like that Humpback Mountain movie thing, haven't seen it, but folks around Carrizozo have told me plenty about spending money to see it. Thats enough for me.
    Ain't trying to offend anyone. Just being honest.
    I appreciate your kind expressions about the good time 60's, and OH that MIKE S. is one hot man! Never seen him but I sure think he sounds hot!
    Please forgive this old man.
    Certainly not serious just having a little fun.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 06:04:08 (permalink)
    quote:

Dickestep, you're a ringtailtooter! Think I love YOU! Well not like that Humpback Mountain movie thing, haven't seen it, but folks around Carrizozo have told me plenty about spending money to see it. Thats enough for me.
    Ain't trying to offend anyone. Just being honest.
    I appreciate your kind expressions about the good time 60's, and OH that MIKE S. is one hot man! Never seen him but I sure think he sounds hot!
    Please forgive this old man.
    Certainly not serious just having a little fun.

Well... I'll own up to having been called a hell of a sight worse than ringtailtooter. If it means the same where you're from as it does in Texas, then I am guilty as charged. I've ridden more than a few rough horses, and I've married women almost as ornery as me. I've ridden with the one percenter bikers, too. All this has given me mostly good experiences, and a number of good stories and recipes to share. One day I'll share my gumbo recipe for stray Muscovy ducks you may happen to encounter beside the road.
    rouxdog
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 06:35:53 (permalink)
    County Champion Bull rider here, Dickestep. Also was a member of a college rodeo team.
    Rouxdog
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 06:48:49 (permalink)
    quote:

County Champion Bull rider here, Dickestep. Also was a member of a college rodeo team.
    Rouxdog

Hee hee hee! Very good, Rouxdog. I've always tried to avoid those bulls, especially the ones with handlebars. We did raise one Longhorn maverick bull calf in the back yard, but he was so tame you could hang the wash to dry on his horns.
    rouxdog
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 08:02:24 (permalink)
    I hear what you're saying about hanging the wash to dry on that Longhorn! Every thing I've mentioned is true, it'll always be that way. Oh sure, I throw a thread of fun in the mix. I really don't have to make things up to sound excitin or to some maybe sound boring. Retired, my major interest is devoted to breeding high quality registered Texas Longhorn cattle,we raise some good ones. One won a World Championship title in Ft. Worth, thats over in Texas, gotta big 4 ft. tall trophy to prove it. We have lots of animals and pamper them daily.
    Come out to visit, I'll treat you to a very good green chile cheeseburger at the Outpost.
    Seriously and shamelesly, we do have beautiful,wonderfully tempered and loving Longhorns to sell. At most a couple calves a year. Usually have a waiting list, let us know if you wish to have a new pet, make that a family member.
    Rouxdog
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 09:20:55 (permalink)
    Rouxdog, it sounds as if you've been to more than a few goat ropings in your time. Yep, the Longhorns make a wonderful pet when handled from birth. The ex couldn't resist buying the maverick we raised. Someone had just bought the cow and didn't want to mess with trailering the calf.
    Come to think of it, she bought a blind mule that year, too, even though we had seven good working and riding horses in the barn at that time. The meat packer had made a half hearted bid of twenty dollars on the mule. She looked at me and I told her to go ahead and bid, I knew she wanted to help the mule. She bid twenty-two. The packer knew us and quit bidding.
    We eventually found a good home for the mule. He was fat and sassy and teaching kids how to ride the last we saw of him. I'd figured he must have been a coon hunting mule, that's probably how he went blind. He'd walk a 2x6 into the back of a truck once you put one of his feet on it. That mule liked to ride in a truck as much as any hound I ever saw.
    That green chile cheeseburger sounds mighty tempting, my Friend, as well as those Longhorn pets of yours. If I get out that way I'll be sure to give you a holler.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 12:52:17 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I've never cooked mutton, either, and I've never admitted to it. I'd hand in my spurs first, I reckon. I will own up to making a big pot of Green Chili Stew out of a young billy goat one of the exe's Paw had he wanted rid of. The Billy Goat Green Chili turned out pretty good, and I got a rise out of the ex when I skinned the goat out using my Harley.

Mutton chili, huh? Now there's an idea I just might have to try cooking some time!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 13:19:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    [brMutton chili, huh? Now there's an idea I just might have to try cooking some time!

Uh oh! Now, Ed, I already owned up to cooking a bodacious batch of Billy Goat Green Chili. If you're going to make mutton chili I'll have to go hide out in the dessert folder or somewhere.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 13:20:29 (permalink)
    You reheated a pot of venison chili for 18 days and kept adding to the pot (and lived to tell).

You were lucky Dickestep, much braver than me.

I would have had staph germs or biodegrade issues badgering my mind.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 13:32:14 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    [brMutton chili, huh? Now there's an idea I just might have to try cooking some time!

Uh oh! Now, Ed, I already owned up to cooking a bodacious batch of Billy Goat Green Chili. If you're going to make mutton chili I'll have to go hide out in the dessert folder or somewhere.

I've got you pegged. You're probably just getting ready to post a recipe for mutton mincemeat pie there!

(say that fast, 3 times now!)
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 13:45:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

You reheated a pot of venison chili for 18 days and kept adding to the pot (and lived to tell).
    You were lucky Dickestep, much braver than me.
    I would have had staph germs or biodegrade issues badgering my mind.

Germs might be tough, but that chili was frozen when it wasn't simmering. I probably wouldn't try it now, I'm not immortal anymore.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 13:57:00 (permalink)
    quote:

I've got you pegged. You're probably just getting ready to post a recipe for mutton mincemeat pie there!
    (say that fast, 3 times now!)

Ed, I will solemnly swear on a stack of my Justin Wilson cookbooks I have no culinary designs on any sheep. I'd have to be hungry to eat mutton.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 14:01:51 (permalink)
    I guess that's my problem. I'm ALWAYS hungry!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 14:13:09 (permalink)
    quote:

I guess that's my problem. I'm ALWAYS hungry!

I was too, back when I worked for a living. I recall one shift I cooked a two pound steak, a skillet of cornbread, and a two quart pot of turnip greens and pot licker. I ate the whole thing. I don't eat that in two days now.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The longest lived pot of chili in history? 2007/03/16 14:36:37 (permalink)
    I've been on a diet for 11 days now. Lost 8 lbs. so that's not bad. However, it is keeping me hungry. The temptation to put my salad with chicken breast back in the fridge and have a nice huge burrito or a Double Chili Cheeseburger with fries from Tommy's is annoying. And then you mention skillet cornbread and greens. Cruel and unusual punishment!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5