Helpful ReplyHot!The secret to the perfect Reuben

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Phildelmar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1201
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2015/04/04 12:21:23 (permalink)
Never cared for the open face variety
cousin-ick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/28 17:01:09 (permalink)
Love me a Reuben!

Current fave is found at a Deli in a gas station in Waukesha. Sisters Deli, housed in the Expo Citgo on Pewaukee Rd. Just around the corner from the Waukesha County Courthouse.

Good bread, meat and cheese and as much or as little dressing as you want. Some joints want to feature a giant sandwich, 1 pound of meat! 1/2 pound of cheese! Not here, just a well balanced Reuben made with quality stuff.

Soups and chili are available during the colder months. Some are scratch made, some are not. Salads are available as well.

Sisters Deli is my fave lunch spot.

ick
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2309
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/28 20:06:38 (permalink)
pnwchef
Make the Corned beef, Pastrami, make the dressing mustard. I squeeze most of the liquid out of the kraut and heat it up while in the pan with the pastrami. A good mustard is a must, maybe thats why they call it MUSTard. Good rye bread and swiss cheese. After grilling try to keep the sandwich from laying flat on the plate. It will get soggy on the bottom you can also lay it on a paper towel to keep the bottom of the sandwich crispy.......OK, it's not a Reuben but it's dam good!!!!!!!!

Soggy is the biggest issue for me with a Reuben. You have to flip it immediately when it comes to the table so it doesn't steam the bread wet.
 ...Russ
BrianH1983
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/29 12:13:40 (permalink)
For me, a Reuben will always have Thousand Island dressing....not Russian.  Archie Moore's in New Haven makes a pretty good one when they have it as a special and Katz's Deli in NYC.  When the corned beef isn't made fresh, I prefer using thin sliced deli pastrami in its place, fried on a griddle. 

In CT we have a variation on the Reuben called the Pastrami Nightmare which is pastrami, grilled onions, tomato, swiss, and mustard on rye or as a grinder. It's delicious.  Not sure if it's found anywhere else.
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/29 12:18:15 (permalink)
That Pastrami Nightmare sounds like a keeper. May have to make some soon.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 21585
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/29 12:39:42 (permalink)
BrianH1983
For me, a Reuben will always have Thousand Island dressing....not Russian.  Archie Moore's in New Haven makes a pretty good one when they have it as a special and Katz's Deli in NYC.  When the corned beef isn't made fresh, I prefer using thin sliced deli pastrami in its place, fried on a griddle. 

In CT we have a variation on the Reuben called the Pastrami Nightmare which is pastrami, grilled onions, tomato, swiss, and mustard on rye or as a grinder. It's delicious.  Not sure if it's found anywhere else.

In New Haven that used to be called a Pastrami Special. I'd always get mine without the tomato.
Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 1201
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/29 13:06:35 (permalink)
Great thread
stricken_detective
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2745
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/02/29 23:04:07 (permalink)
cousin-ick
Love me a Reuben!

Current fave is found at a Deli in a gas station in Waukesha. Sisters Deli, housed in the Expo Citgo on Pewaukee Rd. Just around the corner from the Waukesha County Courthouse.

Good bread, meat and cheese and as much or as little dressing as you want. Some joints want to feature a giant sandwich, 1 pound of meat! 1/2 pound of cheese! Not here, just a well balanced Reuben made with quality stuff.

Soups and chili are available during the colder months. Some are scratch made, some are not. Salads are available as well.

Sisters Deli is my fave lunch spot.

ick

I'm so glad you didn't say Rochester Deli!!!!!
cousin-ick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/03/01 16:16:55 (permalink)
stricken_detective, yes, been to Rochester Deli, once. The place isn't bad...

If you are local to the Wack, would you be interested in hitting eateries in the Wack to share with the Contingent?

I've got a burger joint and a sushi joint in mind. Pizza? Got 2 of them as well.

Yeah, I'm a noobie. Just trying to contribute.

ick
BrianH1983
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/03/23 18:39:50 (permalink)

gregsgoatfarm
That Pastrami Nightmare sounds like a keeper. May have to make some soon.

Here's the Pastrami Nightmare from Ray and Mike's in Hamden, CT.  A slightly different take on most Nightmares, this version adds grilled peppers and pepperjack cheese along with the standard grilled onion, tomato, spicy brown mustard, and pastrami.  I prefer the versions I've had with swiss and no peppers, but this was very very good.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5434
Re:The secret to the perfect Reuben 2016/03/23 19:17:27 (permalink)
pnwchef
Make the Corned beef, Pastrami, make the dressing mustard. I squeeze most of the liquid out of the kraut and heat it up while in the pan with the pastrami. A good mustard is a must, maybe thats why they call it MUSTard. Good rye bread and swiss cheese. After grilling try to keep the sandwich from laying flat on the plate. It will get soggy on the bottom you can also lay it on a paper towel to keep the bottom of the sandwich crispy.......OK, it's not a Reuben but it's dam good!!!!!!!!

"Deli art". Gorgeous!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5