Helpful ReplyHot!The world's BEST soup ?

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11375
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/05/11 12:45:39 (permalink)
Whoops!  Big mistake!  I moved to Boston in 1988 not 1998!  You didn't miss much by not going to Anthony's or Jimmy's.  Food sucked.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8742
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 12:06:36 (permalink)
Thought it's been too long since we talked on this forum. It's winter, big soup time. I was wondering. Does anyone here still make a soup as a starter course for a main meal?, as you still might have in a restaurant. My mom used to always make a soup as a starter in her early years especially for big holiday meals and get togethers,,often Italian wedding soup, (we always called meatball soup).....I miss that tradition as I often loved the soup course more than anything!
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1829
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 14:26:35 (permalink)
I'd give anything to have a big bowl of she crab soup from Cobb Lane in Birmingham. The old ladies who lunch spot had a multi-decade run before finally giving up the ghost. Best soup I've ever had in a restaurant.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22546
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 16:44:51 (permalink)
leethebard
Thought it's been too long since we talked on this forum. It's winter, big soup time. I was wondering. Does anyone here still make a soup as a starter course for a main meal?, as you still might have in a restaurant. My mom used to always make a soup as a starter in her early years especially for big holiday meals and get togethers,,often Italian wedding soup, (we always called meatball soup).....I miss that tradition as I often loved the soup course more than anything!

My grandmother always started a meal with soup. Let me amend that. She always started a festive meal with soup. And it was always chicken soup with knaidel. (A round knaidel is what many call a matzo ball.)
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8742
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 17:14:05 (permalink)
Love Matzo ball soup. Don't have it nearly enough.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11444
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 19:33:37 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

My grandmother always started a meal with soup. Let me amend that. She always started a festive meal with soup. And it was always chicken soup with knaidel. (A round knaidel is what many call a matzo ball.)

We didn't have matzo balls until I was older because they were always called knaidelach at home.  I'm partial to home made sinkers but will never turn down a floater.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22546
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 22:44:49 (permalink)
mar52
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

We didn't have matzo balls until I was older because they were always called knaidelach at home.  I'm partial to home made sinkers but will never turn down a floater.

I as long grown before I learned that the knaidlach I grew up with was called knaidel by everyone else. And by the way, I prefer 'em heavy, but like you will eat them even if they're light enough to float.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 00:30:48 (permalink)
Never met a soup I didn't like!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3047
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 08:31:54 (permalink)
For me soup has always been a next day thing, made from leftovers, rather than a special part of a meal served before, as an appetizer.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11375
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 11:46:37 (permalink)
mar52
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

Sinkers......floaters........you goin fishing?  I had matzo ball soup only once and did not like it.  I liked the broth, not the matzo balls.

We never had soup as a first course.  When Nonna made pasta e fagiole that was dinner, as was wedding soup.  The other night I made broccoli cheddar soup.  That was dinner.  If I had soup first I'd be too full to eat anything else. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7907
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 13:17:18 (permalink)
Mosca
For me soup has always been a next day thing, made from leftovers, rather than a special part of a meal served before, as an appetizer.

Same here.  If I make soup at home (whether fresh or from leftovers) it is the meal.

But if I'm at a restaurant I'll start off with soup just about every time.  And if there's more than one good soup available I have on occasion finished the meal with soup as well.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/12/25 13:21:40
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 680
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 13:19:50 (permalink)
^^^^
This!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11444
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 16:07:05 (permalink)
The BEST first coarse soup I have ever had was having Breakfast at Brennan's.  They make (or made) a creamed onion soup that was divine.  I had a choice of strawberries in cream or the cream onion soup.  There wasn't even a question!
Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5