Helpful ReplyHot!The world's BEST soup ?

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/05/11 12:45:39 (permalink)
Whoops!  Big mistake!  I moved to Boston in 1988 not 1998!  You didn't miss much by not going to Anthony's or Jimmy's.  Food sucked.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10391
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 12:06:36 (permalink)
Thought it's been too long since we talked on this forum. It's winter, big soup time. I was wondering. Does anyone here still make a soup as a starter course for a main meal?, as you still might have in a restaurant. My mom used to always make a soup as a starter in her early years especially for big holiday meals and get togethers,,often Italian wedding soup, (we always called meatball soup).....I miss that tradition as I often loved the soup course more than anything!
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2771
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 14:26:35 (permalink)
I'd give anything to have a big bowl of she crab soup from Cobb Lane in Birmingham. The old ladies who lunch spot had a multi-decade run before finally giving up the ghost. Best soup I've ever had in a restaurant.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23297
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 16:44:51 (permalink)
leethebard
Thought it's been too long since we talked on this forum. It's winter, big soup time. I was wondering. Does anyone here still make a soup as a starter course for a main meal?, as you still might have in a restaurant. My mom used to always make a soup as a starter in her early years especially for big holiday meals and get togethers,,often Italian wedding soup, (we always called meatball soup).....I miss that tradition as I often loved the soup course more than anything!

My grandmother always started a meal with soup. Let me amend that. She always started a festive meal with soup. And it was always chicken soup with knaidel. (A round knaidel is what many call a matzo ball.)
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10391
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 17:14:05 (permalink)
Love Matzo ball soup. Don't have it nearly enough.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12264
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 19:33:37 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

My grandmother always started a meal with soup. Let me amend that. She always started a festive meal with soup. And it was always chicken soup with knaidel. (A round knaidel is what many call a matzo ball.)

We didn't have matzo balls until I was older because they were always called knaidelach at home.  I'm partial to home made sinkers but will never turn down a floater.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/24 22:44:49 (permalink)
mar52
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

We didn't have matzo balls until I was older because they were always called knaidelach at home.  I'm partial to home made sinkers but will never turn down a floater.

I as long grown before I learned that the knaidlach I grew up with was called knaidel by everyone else. And by the way, I prefer 'em heavy, but like you will eat them even if they're light enough to float.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 00:30:48 (permalink)
Never met a soup I didn't like!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3050
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 08:31:54 (permalink)
For me soup has always been a next day thing, made from leftovers, rather than a special part of a meal served before, as an appetizer.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 11:46:37 (permalink)
mar52
Michael Hoffman
leethebard

Sinkers......floaters........you goin fishing?  I had matzo ball soup only once and did not like it.  I liked the broth, not the matzo balls.

We never had soup as a first course.  When Nonna made pasta e fagiole that was dinner, as was wedding soup.  The other night I made broccoli cheddar soup.  That was dinner.  If I had soup first I'd be too full to eat anything else. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9339
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 13:17:18 (permalink)
Mosca
For me soup has always been a next day thing, made from leftovers, rather than a special part of a meal served before, as an appetizer.

Same here.  If I make soup at home (whether fresh or from leftovers) it is the meal.

But if I'm at a restaurant I'll start off with soup just about every time.  And if there's more than one good soup available I have on occasion finished the meal with soup as well.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/12/25 13:21:40
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 956
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 13:19:50 (permalink)
^^^^
This!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12264
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2016/12/25 16:07:05 (permalink)
The BEST first coarse soup I have ever had was having Breakfast at Brennan's.  They make (or made) a creamed onion soup that was divine.  I had a choice of strawberries in cream or the cream onion soup.  There wasn't even a question!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2019/03/29 11:51:11 (permalink)
The best soup I've ever had in a restaurant is the Cream of Crab soup at Chubby's in Emmitsburg, Maryland. The best non-restaurant soup I've ever had is, well, there are a few, all made by lleechef. They are pasta e fagiole, escarole (wedding) soup, Italian lentil soup and gras e kupus soup.
JoyB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2019/03/29 13:58:09 (permalink)
My grandmother's Avgolemono (Greek soup she made with turkey broth or chicken broth if none available) and the NE clam chowder served at Fenway Park in Boston.(Legal Seafood I think?)

The French Onion or the Pasta Fagiole served at a now defunct restaurant in CT named Capuanos.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1877
RE: The world's BEST soup ? 2019/03/29 14:08:48 (permalink)
Best soup in the world? That's a lofty title. If I had to pick the soups that I consider the best I've ever had then both of them were in Hong Kong. The New England clam chowder at the old Lindy's Steak House, in Hong Kong was hands down the best version of it I've ever had. The other best version of a beloved soup was the Onion Soup at The Peak Restaurant in Hong Kong proper. It was perfect in every way and I have never had another version of it that even comes close to comparing to it. Here in the states my pick for best soup would go to Sam and Omie's in Nag's Head N.C. for both their Hatteras Chowder and their She Crab Soup. They have the best versions of those two that I've had on the East Coast.
Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5