Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2667

7 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5804
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/12 16:25:50 (permalink)
    CONTRIBUTOR
    Shontel Horne
    On Assignment For HuffPost

Shontel Horne is a writer, editor and producer based in Los Angeles covering the relationship between communities of color and the luxury, food, travel, and entertainment industries. Her work has been featured in a variety of publications and digital outlets including: POPSUGAR, DuJour, The Zoe Report, Forbes Travel Guide, The Observer, Oprah.com, Modern Luxury Silicon Valley and Angeleno Magazine.

Hmmm.
    Don’t think I agree with her premise.
    Davidsanders
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/12 17:57:37 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    CONTRIBUTOR
    Shontel Horne
    On Assignment For HuffPost

Shontel Horne is a writer, editor and producer based in Los Angeles covering the relationship between communities of color and the luxury, food, travel, and entertainment industries. Her work has been featured in a variety of publications and digital outlets including: POPSUGAR, DuJour, The Zoe Report, Forbes Travel Guide, The Observer, Oprah.com, Modern Luxury Silicon Valley and Angeleno Magazine.

Hmmm.
    Don’t think I agree with her premise.

I don't like the fact that she concentrated so heavily on Texas brisket and neglected the Carolinas, Georgia, Missouri, etc.
    phlmaestro
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/12 20:52:27 (permalink)
    In general, I don't think the topic of barbecue's origins comes up very often. I don't ever recall discussing it or seeing it come up on here. In that respect, it's somewhat of a strawman argument. 

And I would probably say that brisket was the leading reason for my visit to Texas a few years ago. I wouldn't be as interested in going to a barbecue joint in Texas if it didn't have brisket on the menu.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/07/12 20:59:59
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6366
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/13 12:11:19 (permalink)
    My take is Barbeque goes somewhat father back than slavery, say around the time man discovered fire!
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/13 12:28:14 (permalink)
    chewingthefat
    My take is Barbeque goes somewhat father back than slavery, say around the time man discovered fire!

That, and how tasty the mammoth ribs were over hickory!
    :)
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1800
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/13 16:35:46 (permalink)
    When I was a kid and lived in Mississippi, if you wanted BBQ you went to a place that had African-American proprietors and pitmasters. There just weren't a lot of white owned BBQ businesses on the Coast or farther inland. Alabama and the Memphis area were a different story. They had a mix of white and black owned businesses (many of which are still in business!). Even though the author missed out on a huge chunk of territory in the BBQ belt it's nice to see someone looking at the history. Go back far enough and you're feasting on Taino Barbacoa.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: These Black Pitmasters Are Hustling To Preserve Barbecue's Roots 2019/07/13 21:02:59 (permalink)
    In KC, the distinction was in the seasoning and the sauce. The
    Black heritage of bbq there is well documented with Henry Perry an almost mythical character, along with Arthur and Charlie Bryant and Mr. Gates.
    Plus brisket in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas relates directly to the cattle drives, ranches, and stockyards.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5