Three Great American Pies

Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8821
2015/08/22 01:02:17 (permalink)

Three Great American Pies

Found this piece of history and wanted to pass it along....also included is a recipe. Wondered if any of you have found these in roadfood places. They are different, I'll say, That apple custard sure calls to me....and bourbon in a pie...why not.
https://www.yahoo.com/foo...ting-127168431218.html

11 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11466
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/22 01:54:36 (permalink)
    I used to make the Derby Pie. 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5773
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/22 10:25:22 (permalink)
    We too have made the Derby Pie.  For those who haven't had the pleasure, imagine a thick, rich chocolate chip cookie soaked in Bourbon.

Buddy
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11466
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/22 14:01:05 (permalink)
    A HUGE, rich chocolate cookie.....

I'd post my recipe but my recipe is in one of dozens of boxes.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7501
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/23 20:37:10 (permalink)
    I have a chance to enjoy all three of them and the Marlborough is my favorite of the three
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4730
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/24 18:53:32 (permalink)
    CajunKing
    I have a chance to enjoy all three of them and the Marlborough is my favorite of the three

..and what a surprise! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22594
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/24 19:20:08 (permalink)
    I think I'm going to have to figure out a way to get lleechef interested in making a Black Bottom Pie.

FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2039
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2015/08/24 23:52:23 (permalink)
    The apple pie looked scrumptious, but I'm more purist, I guess.  My 3:

1. Open Apple pie with I/c or whipped ream.....simple Granny Smiths and Gala or other sweet apple.  Maybe a splash of marsala to the filling.

2. Wild Maine Blueberries..................maybe added I/c or whipped cream.....but most will stand on their own.

3. Key lime or Lemon Meringue Pie.........Real Key limes.yum....fake...yuck. Whipped cream nice.
    CharlesFWicks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2016/06/30 01:45:25 (permalink)
    I am having a sweet tooth so am very much fond of desserts especially pie. Usually I order it from www.loveandquiches.com and satisfy myself. 
    post edited by CharlesFWicks - 2016/06/30 01:49:10
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1426
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2016/07/01 13:28:32 (permalink)
    leethebard - thanks so much for posting info on that new Cook's Country cookbook, I put a hold on it at our library

Would love to try those pie recipes - on the ones that use a whipped cream topping -make Paul Prudhomme's recipe for Chantilly Cream instead -  so much more > vanilla, a little sugar, Grand Marnier, brandy, and a dollop of sour cream. 

tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2577
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2016/07/01 15:01:50 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic

3. Key lime or Lemon Meringue Pie.........Real Key limes.yum....fake...yuck. Whipped cream nice.

This made me ask a question that most will not care about..........
    I really like "Key Limes", too. Does the name represent a growing location.........The Florida Keys,,,, or the variety, grown anywhere?? When I (seldom) see them in a store, they are packed by an off keys Fla company, but that doesn't mean that they were not grown there. I never saw a lime grove on my few trips to the Keys.

I have had the namesake pie at several places in Key West that claim to be "the best", and they are all world class.

Another question......The pie was originally made with sweetened condensed milk, because fresh was not available. Obviously whipped cream would not have been available either. I wonder what the "original" pie was topped with, or if it was topped at all? The frozen Marie Callander Key Lime pie is good for frozen, but the topping that she uses, (creme, not whipped cream) is unliked by me, so I just scrape it off.
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re: Three Great American Pies 2016/07/01 15:52:48 (permalink)
    tmiles
    FriedClamFanatic

This made me ask a question that most will not care about..........
    I really like "Key Limes", too. Does the name represent a growing location.........The Florida Keys,,,, or the variety, grown anywhere?? When I (seldom) see them in a store, they are packed by an off keys Fla company, but that doesn't mean that they were not grown there. I never saw a lime grove on my few trips to the Keys.

I have had the namesake pie at several places in Key West that claim to be "the best", and they are all world class.

Another question......The pie was originally made with sweetened condensed milk, because fresh was not available. Obviously whipped cream would not have been available either. I wonder what the "original" pie was topped with, or if it was topped at all? The frozen Marie Callander Key Lime pie is good for frozen, but the topping that she uses, (creme, not whipped cream) is unliked by me, so I just scrape it off.

Key limes used to refer to a specific regions Key Limes. The limes from the Florida Keys. Most of the Key Limes now available in the US are from Mexico and do not have the same flavour profile as a true Key Lime, (they're more astringent, than tart). True Key Limes are still available in a few places in the Keys and Florida, but they are becoming a rarity. Persian Limes, available darned near everywhere are an acceptable and tasty substitute. Certainly a better choice than the Mexican variety.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5