Tip your chef !

Author
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
2006/01/05 20:31:51 (permalink)

Tip your chef !

I have a couple of favorite restaurants that I frequent quite often as we all do. I do realise that the chefs in these particular places are not anywhere close to being compensated as the wait staff is. I on occasion give my favorite chef at least a gift certificate to another restaurant that I thought they might like to try, not the competition just something they might enjoy. I recently gave one of the chefs a gift certificate to a restaurant in Md. knowing that he was staying in a particular area where he was taking his family on vacation it was very close to the hotel, they loved it. Well let me tell you this practice of mine has come back to me threefold. If you are a good tipper the wait staff takes great care of you, the bartender pours well but the chef not accustomed to the tip will always remember you and personally take care of your order. Chow Jim

10 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4247
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/05 22:07:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I have a couple of favorite restaurants that I frequent quite often as we all do. I do realise that the chefs in these particular places are not anywhere close to being compensated as the wait staff is. I on occasion give my favorite chef at least a gift certificate to another restaurant that I thought they might like to try, not the competition just something they might enjoy. I recently gave one of the chefs a gift certificate to a restaurant in Md. knowing that he was staying in a particular area where he was taking his family on vacation it was very close to the hotel, they loved it. Well let me tell you this practice of mine has come back to me threefold. If you are a good tipper the wait staff takes great care of you, the bartender pours well but the chef not accustomed to the tip will always remember you and personally take care of your order. Chow Jim

I think that this is a great idea but how in heck does the chef knows who gave him a tip? And how does he know when you return to restaurant?
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/05 22:54:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I think that this is a great idea but how in heck does the chef knows who gave him a tip? And how does he know when you return to restaurant?

You ask to see the chef and you give him the tip. If he has time,you strike up a conversation. Next time your in, you stop in and say Hi.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 00:24:48 (permalink)
    While I'm aware that most servers in the U.S. don't make a whole lot of money, I was under the impression that the rub for chefs was the long hours. Otherwise, I thought they were well-paid. Educate me.
    The Bear
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 02:52:37 (permalink)
    Oh geez...where does this tipping crap stop? Chefs are supposed to be professionals. Would you consider tipping your accountant? Or your pediatrician?

The fact that some servers make more money than some chefs (including ones that work in the same places) is irrelevant, as they are two different jobs. The server can likely not be a chef, and if a chef felt that they weren't making enough money, they could become a server. I don't think most chefs would take you up on that deal. Comparing the two jobs is like comparing apples and oranges -- the only thing that they have in common is that they work in the same establishment -- well, apples and oranges are both sold in the produce section, but that is where the similarities end.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 09:03:27 (permalink)
    I have on occasions gotton Tips of 100.00 and 50.00 from Customers who appreciate the way I look out for them.Even my Old School Teacher who just died recently would slip me a fiver every time she came in.You can belive a Chef will make sure that they get served swiftly.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 12:21:02 (permalink)
    having spent countless hours in the kitchen--i DONT tip CHEFS!!--they dont need it it---i DO tip COOKS however!!!---you know--those guys that actually stand there in the heat and COOK the food instead of creating the menu and recipes-often these folks are not that well paid---as for getting it to them---when i worked kitchens, i have had costumers come into the back and thank the crew---and tip them--and i have had wait staff deliver tips to me from costomers--Greymo--they usually describe them by the order they got.-- I also worked alot of kitchens where the waitstaff split a percantage with the cooks. I know that no matter how it got there--it was ALWAYS appreciated! Oh yeah---now that i think back--I have bought drinks for a few chefs!( the bartender ALWAYS knows what they drink!) I remember one time when a chef that dined at out place came back and thanked everone in the kitchen--tipping all of us--from pot washers up---EXCEPT the exec chef---he bought him a drink and invited hime to dinner at his place.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 13:01:48 (permalink)
    yeap...I'm gonna have to go with Steve on this one. I've worked in a kitchen, and we never got any tip. EVER. Even if we left the kitchen to help bus tables. not a penny.
    Compliment the chef? sure.
    Buy him a drink if I see him at the bar? sure.
    tip? nope.

saps
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 13:20:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

Oh geez...where does this tipping crap stop? Chefs are supposed to be professionals. Would you consider tipping your accountant? Or your pediatrician?

The fact that some servers make more money than some chefs (including ones that work in the same places) is irrelevant, as they are two different jobs. The server can likely not be a chef, and if a chef felt that they weren't making enough money, they could become a server. I don't think most chefs would take you up on that deal. Comparing the two jobs is like comparing apples and oranges -- the only thing that they have in common is that they work in the same establishment -- well, apples and oranges are both sold in the produce section, but that is where the similarities end.

Nobody said that you had to tip them.

There might be something with semantics, however, between cook and chef. I'm more likely to tip a cook at a place I go to a lot. For a chef, I'd be more likely to give them a bottle of wine or something similar (which I would also do with a professional who has provided excellent service). If an accountant saved me a ton of money or helped me in a pinch, I'd have no problem giving him a bottle of wine or a gift certificate as a thank you. I know that some people just look at it as "that's their job", but it's nice to show people that they are appreciated, and it usually does come back to you.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 17:44:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

Nobody said that you had to tip them.

There might be something with semantics, however, between cook and chef. I'm more likely to tip a cook at a place I go to a lot. For a chef, I'd be more likely to give them a bottle of wine or something similar (which I would also do with a professional who has provided excellent service). If an accountant saved me a ton of money or helped me in a pinch, I'd have no problem giving him a bottle of wine or a gift certificate as a thank you. I know that some people just look at it as "that's their job", but it's nice to show people that they are appreciated, and it usually does come back to you.

No, nobody says that you have to tip them now, but if this is another part of the growing trend to tip everybody, I would prefer to nip it in the bud (in my best Barney Fife voice).

I believe that there is much more than a semantic difference between a "line" cook and an "executive" chef. My personal opinion still stands that one does not tip a professional.

I am all for expressing gratitude, and I am a firm believer that doing such is one of the true lost arts of the people in this country. My feeling is that most people do not know how to express or accept genuine gratitude without it being in the form of cash.

My job requires a lot of the same skill set as a restuarant server on occasion, but with a lot more responsibility and significantly less pay. In the course of a day, I help people (customers?) make better decisions; can sway judgements in the favor; perform many dutiful tasks to make their lives simpler -- all for very little thanks. I am OK with that. I have never received a tip for my services, and would never expect one. I believe that my position is a professional one, and thus not one that accepts gratuities. My only point is, when you start to think of how many people fall into that same category and who you should and should not tip, it would become cumbersome in about a minute and a half.

My belief is that a gratuity should be extended to those folks who go above and beyond in performing their duties in service fields. It is unfortunate that society deems some jobs tip-worthy and others not -- and some SO tip-worthy that it is expected.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Tip your chef ! 2006/01/06 19:01:43 (permalink)
    Stevekoe- I just brought up this subject because it worked for me. I do agree with most of the posters on this board I normally would'nt tip an Ex. chef or a chef/owner but that small type restaraunt that has a so called chef that is talented and works a line on most evenings and dose care about what is leaving those kitchen doors the regular guy or girl is the person I'm talking about. Chow Jim And P.S. there are thousand's of those type establisments out there.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5