Author
sham_siebel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Flagged as Spam (1)
2016/01/02 10:27:58 (permalink)

Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods

Dear Members,

I am doing a research. I am based out of India, so am keen to know the reality on Indian Food.

My question is simple:
1: What are top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian foods?
2: Your suggestion for improvement if any

Sorry, will take some time of yours, but just wanted to have an international point of view on Indian Foods, served at an Indian Restaurant.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22546
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 12:05:31 (permalink)
The odor of curry. The odor of curry. And the odor of curry.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8739
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 13:10:52 (permalink)
Naan and dipping sauces,,,Chicken Tiki Masala....delicious tandori chicken
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5703
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 13:46:09 (permalink)
My biggest gripe with Indian food is when I bite down on a whole cardamom pod and all those nasty little seeds fill my mouth.  I end up spitting out a whole mouthful of food (most ungraciously) just to get them out of there.  I understand the need for cardamom in Indian cooking, but can't you create a bouquet garni so the cardamom can be taken out of the dish before serving?

Buddy
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1425
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 14:15:23 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Is that a like or a dislike?
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11442
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 14:25:49 (permalink)
Buddy and I think alike.  Cardamom seeds are the worst!

My gripe is that others don't like it so I don't get it often.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 14:43:12 (permalink)
ChrisOC
Michael Hoffman

Is that a like or a dislike?

That is one huge dislike. I never had anything against Indian food till some folks moved into the apartment above us in Charleston, West Virginia. Every day for a year what started out as the aroma of curry and turned into the stench of curry permeated the entire four-apartment building. When the Indian couple moved out the building had to be fumigated.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 15:19:37 (permalink)
Thinking Limburger.....

Taste it!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 15:25:06 (permalink)
I like Limburger. Better, I love Maroilles. But seven days a week, 24 hours a day for a year is too much curry sniffing.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11375
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 15:36:29 (permalink)
I love curry......but REAL curry.  Not made with curry powder.  I worked for the Riboud family in France and Mme. Riboud was from India.  We had curry every Sunday......made by her houseboys from India.  The lamb curry was my favorite......with dal and basmati rice and Patak's spicy mango chutney. 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8739
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 16:52:06 (permalink)
lleechef
I love curry......but REAL curry.  Not made with curry powder.  I worked for the Riboud family in France and Mme. Riboud was from India.  We had curry every Sunday......made by her houseboys from India.  The lamb curry was my favorite......with dal and basmati rice and Patak's spicy mango chutney. 

Ooooh, that sounds like heaven!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5675
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 18:41:03 (permalink)
Indian servers
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 20:15:25 (permalink)
I also love real curries.  Mahkni also known as butter chicken is my favorite.  Or is it Korma? 

I had a Korma Paneer once that was divine.  I've never seen it since.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6571
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 20:25:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

That about sums it up for me, too.

Please don't take offense, I don't like Scot cooking either and "that blood" runs through me.
sham_siebel
Junior Burger
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/02 23:36:02 (permalink)
Thanks, I am getting a mixed response:

Positive: 

1: Dish like Butter Chicken, Chicken Korma, Chicken Tiki Masala
2: Curry made from real ingredients and not from powder

Negative:

1: Strong odour of Curry
2: Biting off small seeds in the Curry

Suggestions:

1: Consider Bouquet Garni

Thanks, for your valuable comments. Looking forward for more inputs.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 715
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/03 11:10:21 (permalink)
The Indian family that lives next door owns the local Dairy Queen. I love their bacon double cheeseburgers.
sham_siebel
Junior Burger
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 00:51:47 (permalink)
Dear All,

Thanks, for your response. Final Point of view will be posted on the facebook page -  with the output of the survey.

Regards
Sham
sham_siebel
Junior Burger
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 01:04:54 (permalink)
sorry seems link is not allowed. I understand to avoid spam effect. I will post the survey analysis on Facebook Page / iRestaura with the analysis on  Thursday 7th Jan. Survey response would be anonymous, however, any body having an objection to including his comment in the survey can raise the flag now.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 02:54:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby beerluvr2 2016/03/21 08:54:37
I dislike EVERYTHING about Indian Food
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 12:54:22 (permalink)
I think the Indians make the best vegetarian food on the planet.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 12:59:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2016/01/04 17:28:33
We only do that when we run out of bear meat and buffalo hump.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 15:14:21 (permalink)
Wish the cream based sauces didn't have so many fat calories.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5675
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/01/04 17:34:10 (permalink)
sham_siebel
Thanks, I am getting a mixed response:

Positive: 

1: Dish like Butter Chicken, Chicken Korma, Chicken Tiki Masala
2: Curry made from real ingredients and not from powder

Negative:

1: Strong odour of Curry
2: Biting off small seeds in the Curry

Suggestions:

1: Consider Bouquet Garni

Thanks, for your valuable comments. Looking forward for more inputs.

Let's not all forget. Chicken Tika Masala is a dish invented in England and popularized in England's Indian restaurants. It's, India's Chop Suey.
pimple2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: Top 3 things you like or dislike about Indian Foods 2016/07/03 16:03:05 (permalink)
Sham,

It seems you have had not more than 4- 6 responses. Consider the demographics of the respondents, as well. Think of a sample size, and the nature of sampling, in order to create accuracy.

Another point I am never ever tired of making. WHAT is INDIAN food? Is it the "Indian Restaurant Food" found in America? What is "curry"?

India is as large as Western Europe. I shall hammer in this point ad nauseum until people haev stopped using the term "curry" as a catch-all for all things that strike them as Indian.

India is huge, and ethnically more diverse than Europe, and culturally more diverse, too. If you agree on something called EUROPEAN FOOD< we shall agree to the term INDIAN FOOD as well. HAN Chinese are MUCH more ethnically and culturally homogenous, and linguistically, too, so there is some sense in speaking of CHINESE FOOD, CHINESE CUISINE(S). NOT SO in the case of INDIA.

Take the case of 2 Muslim endogamous groups, the Khojas and Bohras, that call Bombay home. They have been settled there for several hundred years, at least. Way before the USA was discovered, in fact.  Both are ISMAILI Muslims, a group identifying with Shi'ism. Both are trading communities. Neither will intermarry with the other, nor with other Muslims.

Each of them has a DISTINCT cuisine. Those of the Bohra who have migrated to Pakistan, maintain their DISTINCT CULINARY IDENTITY and food customs, which are pretty elaborate and different from their fellow Muslim and Shia citizens in Karachi.

THEY DO EAT ALIKE, is the point here. They do not eat RESTAURANT FOOD either. Nor do they eat the emblematic foods of Pakistan, on  a regular basis. They might enjoy them on occasion, sure, but every meal, NO.

So, what is this curry you speak of?

Brahmins from Gujarat, Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, etc., more than 200 million people, do not eat garlic and onions. A few eat fish and the occasional sacramental goat, but again no garlic and onion. What is this curry smell you complain of, from these people? I eat, like many of them, saadaa varan, which are different types of legumes, lentils or cajanus lentils, split, boiled in water with salt, period. This is eaten with rice, a drop of ghee, and a squeeze of fresh lime. I am eating this now. We also cook cauliflower with just a tempering of whole spices, e.g cumin seeds, mustard seed, fenugreek seed, fennel seed, etc. Or nothing at all.

Please inform yourself, in a website devoted to the appreciation of food, and not appear as complete hicks and wilful ignoramuses. yes, it is ok to not like something, but not out of omnibus ignorance.

KAARI IS A VALID TAMIL TERM. It means something, but NOT CURRY.  Also, the KAARI cooked in various sub-areas of Tamil Nadu, and within it various social niches does vary a LOT, as does CREOLE and Cajun cuisine in Louisiana. not the same, is it? Suppose someone said, I hate Southern cooking, its smell drives me nuts, your reaction would be, WTF? What is this clown saying?  The South is a huge place. it is possible that some common ingredients like preserved pork, in its various guises, do have a "smell".

For this reason, vegetarian housing societies in India will NOT rent houses to any but their own group, on the precise ground made by Michael Hoffman: the food those OTHER Indians cook will stink up their rented flats beyond redemption! The government finds this racist, exclusivist, but these are private housing societies. They will not let non-vegetarians, pescetarians, egg eaters, and such entry into their domains. To a vegetarian, each of them stink up the premises. It is  personal issue. I find the smell of cooking burgers offensive, that of cooking goat, nice. It is a matter of what is familiar and not!! 

Until very recently, i.e. last 30 years, India comprised 3000 ENDOGAMOUS GROUPS, i.e. those that married exclusively amongst themselves. East, west, north, south, Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh, the SAME PATTERN was true. 

So tell me again, what is curry? McCormick's and American style curry powder, is redolent of celery seed, thyme and several other herbal flavors completely unfamiliar to the "Indian" palate. I used to dislike it but after 40 years in this country, I love it. Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Sri lankan, Thai, Burmese, curry powders are each different and thai gaeng are nothing like Indian styles of cookery.

Kerala has so many styles of cooking. Syrian Christian, Muslim, Nampudri, Palakkad Iyer, so many other brahman communities, non-brahman and so forth, that are not even known in the USA!

Similarly, each and every state of India has myriads of styles and special dishes that have never been cooked here for the general public.

Indian restaurant dishes are like Chinese take-outs. Nice, but prepared to meet the palates of their intended clients.  All sorts of things are thrown in for convenience and cheapness, and to make money!!  people who are expatriates cook on the go, throw things together for  sustenance, onion, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, prepackaged powders, some meats, and rarely do they take the time on holidays to cook carefully for special guests. If they know how to cook at all! And like all cuisines, some things may stink. Like dried fish! 

This guy Sham is being disingenuous. Bouquets garni  are used extensively in many styles of TRADITIONAL Indian cooking, e.g. Mughlai, making stocks, etc. when such is warranted. Just by taking an inexpert survey, nothing is going to change.  Writing nonsense recommendations and pretending to know something he does not, is a very convenient modern Indian device, whereby the foreigner and foreign expert is invoked to provide an aura of omniscience. From Roadfood, where the expertise is in American styles, and the naivete re: Indian is best left unsaid!!

Sorry, I get worked up about this subject, which is why I absented myself for years from the board. I appreciate the great and real expertise of the folk here and learn from them in the areas that count: fried chicken, hot dogs, pizza, etc. ! Indian food, carp, Nyet!! 
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5