Toronto?

Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3941
2018/06/06 15:55:02 (permalink)

Toronto?

I have been trying to do some research for a trip that I have coming up next month to Toronto, ON Canada. In some ways, this is a pilgrimage of sorts, as the purpose of the trip is for me to secure a visit to the lone remaining active major league baseball stadium in which I have never seen a game. It also made me realize that with the exception of Mexico City, it is the largest metropolitan area in North America to which I have not visited (I did have an unintended flight layover at their airport once, but don't count that as a visit). 

My flights will be in and out of BUF on July 3rd and 6th, respectively. I am hoping to score a beef on weck, likely at Charlie the Butcher and some wings at Duff's, while passing through Buffalo. The drive north should also allow for a stop at the Falls, and I believe I have time in Toronto for the Hockey Hall of Fame. 

Unfortunately, other than my Canadian friends telling me that I should definitely make a stop at a Tim Horton's, I have been able to find very little food recommendations for the Toronto area. For a city of roughly six million people, which is the population total in between the cities of Los Angeles and New York here in the States, I find it hard to believe that there isn't *something* I should try to find. I know that natives of Montreal aren't the friendliest of people to the natives of Toronto, but have any of the Montreal-centric smoked meats or bagel places navigated to Toronto? I do admit that, other than hearing The Swedish Chef say the word "poutine," I am less interested in eating it, but may consider one stop just to mark it off the list. 

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
post edited by The Travelin Man - 2018/06/06 22:11:49

5 Replies Related Threads

Ram4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: Toronto? 2018/06/06 18:03:10 (permalink)
    Tim Horton's?!  You're wasting your time.  Definitely get beef on weck in Buffalo.
    post edited by Ram4 - 2018/06/06 18:11:46
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Toronto? 2018/06/06 18:45:31 (permalink)
    You find me one Canadian that wouldn't encourage someone visiting Canada to visit a Tim Hortons.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22953
    Re: Toronto? 2018/06/06 19:12:25 (permalink)
    Why waste valuable time in Canada on a Tim Horton's? Ycan stop in a Tim's in Ohio, Michigan -- and several other states. Since Wendy's sold Tim's to Burger King it's getting bigger here.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Toronto? 2018/06/06 21:23:22 (permalink)
    We ate at a wonderful restaurant called Boralia.  Their menu consists of old Canadian recipes and the food is outstanding.  Not exactly Roadfood prices but worth every penny.  You will find things on the menu that you would never see any place else.  Truly a wonderful experience.  We had smoked meat at a deli but I do not remember the name...………...the smoked meat sandwich was as good as one you would get in Montreal.  I will see if anyone remembers the name
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Toronto? 2018/06/06 22:20:09 (permalink)
    Ram4
    Tim Horton's?!  You're wasting your time.  Definitely get beef on weck in Buffalo.

Michael Hoffman
    Why waste valuable time in Canada on a Tim Horton's? Ycan stop in a Tim's in Ohio, Michigan -- and several other states. Since Wendy's sold Tim's to Burger King it's getting bigger here.

I thought I was being clear enough in saying that "unfortunately..." the only advice I had received was to go to Tim Hortons. I get it. It's a corporate chain that sells coffee and donuts that would be similar to what I could get at my local Dunkin' Donuts. It is not my plan to travel to another country to do that. However, while I don't know what the Canadian equivalent word to Americana would be, but Tim Horton's likely fits that bill.

Of course, as I may have expected, neither of you have anything constructive to add to this discussion and don't seem to have the willpower to butt the hell out of conversations to which you can offer nothing constructive. But, maybe that's just one of the myriad reasons why traffic to this site has slowed to a crawl.
    post edited by The Travelin Man - 2018/06/07 10:38:31
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5