Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4778
2006/01/03 10:35:31 (permalink)

Trader Joe's ...

quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I know this is lazy, but we have come to like the latkes from Trader Joe's. I prefer them with just a little more onion but like them better than any version we have tried to make.

... this got me thinking.

TJ's is a real treasure. Although I've noticed their offering can vary by region and their line up changes.

What are your fave's these days there ???

Mine:

- Flatbread frozen pizza (with some combo of camalized onions and salami.)

- Their Kobe-STYLE beef patties (haven't seen them in a while though.)

23 Replies Related Threads

shen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 10:51:08 (permalink)
    I had on nye their regular mushroom turnovers - AMAZING..the nushroom turnovers in phyllo - good and their mini quiches - pretty good. I love their frozen fruit and their nuts. i live in manhattan and am WAITING for that TJ to open up on 14th street.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 10:59:34 (permalink)
    With the exception of fresh produce, milk and bread, I do nearly all our grocery shopping at Trader Joe's anymore. Discovered TJ when living in Tempe and was truly excited when they built their first store here in the Columbus area. So many things available there that I'm unable to find in regular stores, everything is so good and I trust their buyers as to wholesomeness of their offerings. Just wish there were more of their stores so we wouldn't have to drive so far to do our shopping. But it is worth it. Their meats, fish and seafood are far better than ordinary super markets.

Donna
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 11:57:39 (permalink)
    I'd implode without TJ's!!!! They make a frozen teriyaki chicken that is excellent! I also use tons of their frozen sweet white corn ... I add it to soups, salads, etc. Their packaged romaine hearts (3 to a bag) are better quality and cheaper than any other stores, and result in more lettuce/dollar than the unwashed whole heads of romaine lettuce, which have so much waste. Also, their canned turkey chili is quite acceptable (especially if you add some of the aforementioned corn to it ).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23304
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:04:41 (permalink)
    Donna, let me suggest five terrific places for meats: Carfagna's on 161; Bluescreek Farms, the North Market; Riife's, West 5th and Grandview; Weiland's, Indianola; Broadmoor, East Broad. A sixth place, although it might have changed over the years since I was there last, is Schuman's on Harrisburg Pike. It was terrific.
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1253
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:30:43 (permalink)
    At the urging of my wife's cousin and the president of my company, we went to Trader Joe's in December.

I have to say I was completely underwhelmed.

I can get most (if not all) of the cheeses at Kroger or Bigg's.

The meat department is really odd -- sporadic selections. Not a full meat counter like at the grocery, yet not a "specialty" meat counter.

Moreover, Trader Joe's seems to specialize in Trader Joe's brand foods. Many of those branded foods are "prepared" foods -- frozen or instant foods. We tried one -- a chicken teriyaki meal. Whoop ti do. Salty and uninteresting. (Plus, the "oriental" line was branded "Trader Joe-San's". I thought this kind of stereotyping was gone forever.)

We won't be back. What a really overrated place.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:46:34 (permalink)
    Thanks, Michael, for the information. We've lived pretty much all over Franklin County from time to time and therefore have shopped many places, among which are Carfagna's, Rife's and Weiland's. I agree with you as to the quality of their meats. We're now in the southwest part of Franklin County and are not truly happy with the selection of super markets out here. Therefore, we go to Trader Joe's for most of our shopping and do like the meats, seafood and fish that we get there. We don't eat a lot of meat anymore except chicken, turkey, fish, etc. When we do go to Trader Joe's on Sawmill Road, we try to also take advantage of Carfagna's in the Dublin Square Center, Whole Foods and Andersons. That pretty much takes care of our main grocerying once/month.

Thanks again for your kind input.

Donna
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23304
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:46:45 (permalink)
    There's a Trader Joe's near me, but I've been there just once -- the day it opened. I did get a nice rack of lamb (frozen) and a wonderful roasted pepper spread. I guess the reason I've not been back is because I never think of it until I'm driving by on my way to somewhere.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:54:23 (permalink)
    I always buy the Tiramisu "white box" and the Brie en Croute. I don't really think it's Brie, but it's great! The Sweet/Hot mustard in the little jar is also great. Spinach Lasagna and some of the cheeses along with real good brown eggs make me take the half mile trip about six times a year.Cool store.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3672
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 12:59:22 (permalink)
    So who doesn't love Aldi's?
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1690
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 13:28:08 (permalink)
    Lucky us................. we here in the SF Bay area have no less then 33 TJ's
    I live in San Jose/Silicon Valley and from my home I could just about walk to three of them. Yes I do like TJ's, but.... we liked them better 15/20 years ago when they played like a small corner grocery store. Now there bigger and more popular. No parking and long lines at the check out...I have no problem with TJ's getting bigger and expanding across the nation... for it's the American way, right? .....good for them and good for you.
    Two Buck Chuck is still $1.99 I understand it's a little higher out of California. I'll buy a few cases of it and remove the labels and with my graphic program create new personal labels celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, and the likes. I understand it's pretty fair wine, I personal don't drink booz but I do like the wine label making thing. The stuff is great to cook with and also makes great vinegar.
    I shop at TJ's a few times a week and my favorite thing at Joe's is the 1.3 lbs bar of Belgium Milk Chocolate. and the frozen package of Gorgonzola Gnocchi makes for a quick lunch/dinner........
    One thing disappointing I found in the 15 years of shopping at Trader Joe's is don't fall in love with something you like because it will probably be gone forever from it's shelves in about 6 mouths. But then something new pops up and your in love again.......... Ya it's a great place!
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2810
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 13:46:03 (permalink)
    I like TJs but don't go often as it is a little out of my way. At my local TJs, all the meat and fish is frozen. When thawed, most of his frozen fish is better than most supermarket "fresh". I have not tried his meat. "FAS", or frozen at sea can be a very good product. TJs is also the only local source that I know of for Double Rainbow ice cream. (limited selection)
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 14:02:18 (permalink)
    It's Aldi, not Aldi's. I buy chips and frozen buffalo wings there sometimes. Made the mistake of buying the ground beef in the tube once- absolutely horrible.My wife loves the place, but i can go next door to Meijer.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 14:23:06 (permalink)
    Black pepper cashews... Yum.

Target sells black pepper cashews (12oz) for $6, while the regular salted ones are $4. Why the 50% price increase? TJ's has them for $4 (16oz).
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3672
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 19:56:00 (permalink)
    You have excuse those of us in Wisconsin. For no good reason we like to add s's.
    Many of us go to the states fair and drink Millers.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 20:09:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

It's Aldi, not Aldi's.

Kroger. I go to "Krogers." It's short for Kroger's store in our everyday language. Not WRONG. It's the vernacular. Aldi. Aldi's. O.K.?

jbryan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 23:44:17 (permalink)
    I love the wine section, you can get a good bottle for under $10. Sometimes even the $5 stuff is good.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/03 23:49:41 (permalink)
    At Trader Joe's in New Jersey, they can't keep the $3 Charles Shaw on the shelf. Known as 2 Buck Chuck, because it was originally $2, or that's what it is in California, some wine folk say it's not bad.

I wouldn't know. To quote Dracula, Transylvanian accent and all, "I never drink...wine!"
    Bela LaBear
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/04 01:23:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

You have excuse those of us in Wisconsin. For no good reason we like to add s's.

Your good... Just means there's (<there's that 's) more then one!
    LindaW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/04 07:49:11 (permalink)
    I love TJ's....I live in the Latham, NY area and would love to have one close by...like in say Latham..or Clifton Park...if I had the $$$ I'd open one up here...I think we could have a few up here...say in Clifton Park, maybe Bethlehem...East Greenbush...hey...any of the TJ corporate guys...if you are reading this....we NEED YOU HERE!!!...I visit the TJ's in Tucson every time I visit...and load up on sauces to package up and send back home..also the sesame seed crusted almonds and cashews....in NY, they would not be able to sell wines..but they already have stores downstate...so that wouldn't be a big deal....but oh I know that TJ's would be a booming business up here....oh well..my next trip to Tucson is in Feb....better start reading the TJ newsletters to see what I can buy when I go....
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/07 03:02:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

So who doesn't love Aldi's?

What's an Aldi's?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/07 03:05:31 (permalink)
    TJ quit carrying their cioppino sauce a few months ago. Oldest daughter and I were heart broken :(

MikeS.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/07 05:30:59 (permalink)
    Those Aldi's, but Goody's, remind me of youuuuu...
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: Trader Joe's ... 2006/01/07 05:33:17 (permalink)
    Those Aldi's, but Goody's, remind me of youuuuu...
    Mike, it's a chain of small markets, out of Germany. Think of Costco or Sam's, without the variety or floor space.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5