Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY

Author
Split T
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/01/21 19:44:36 (permalink)

Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY

My wife and I are taking a trip to Long Island (Malverne), and then driving north towards Albany and then to Cooperstown.

We will be there in April, and we are flying in from California.

Would appreciate any recommendations on places to eat, excluding Seafood and Chinese.

Good burgers joints (no chains)and homestyle American cooking will be high on our list, including Great Breakfast places in interesting and historical locations.

14 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1474
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/01/22 08:51:51 (permalink)
    I've been waiting for this opportunity to mention one of my favorite places...The Chief Schenevus Restaurant and Bakery. Its at 93 Main Street (Rte 7), Schenevus, New York (www.chiefschenevus.com). Scenevus is just a little North of Cooperstown on Rte 88. You can spit for one end of Main Street to the other.

The Chief is a storefront restaurant on Main Street. It seems to be the town diner, bakery, deli, pizza joint, icecream shop and video rental. The owners must be the hardest working people in town. My family stops there about four times a year travelling to Albany from Cortland. Its got great atmosphere, maple woodwork, with a large mural depicting the story of Chief Scenevus, historic postcards on the wall at the booths. The food is all freshly made, served on homemade buns.

I had my birthday lunch there last Monday, a meat loaf sandwich with gravy ( a hint of wine in the gravy, or maybe I was hung over) with fries and coleslaw. My daughter had a hot dog with cheese and onions, and spicey curley fries. In the past we've had the greek salad, Italian sub sandwiches (meat cut to order), hamburgers, hot roast beef platters, cookies and bread, all excellant. Its always been a pleasant stop in our travels.
    tonemonster2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/01/22 09:22:32 (permalink)
    Near Malverne in the East point Inn in East Rockaway. Excellent brunch. Take the Taconic Parkway up to Albany, much more scenic than the Thruway. See reiew of The Tackanic Diner, about half from NYC. Thaere's lots of good places in downtown Albany, really a decent nightlife. For breakfast try Quintesence on New Scotland Ave. And in Cooperstown don't miss the Omegang Brewery which makes Belgian style beer; it's a good tour and they have several decent micro-brews.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10176
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/01/22 09:45:57 (permalink)
    On Long Island, go to Long Beach which is about 30 minutes or less from Malvrne. The Lido Deli serves up great "Kosher Style" deli sandwiches. The Corned Beef/Pastrami is great, so are their Kasha Knishes and Kosher Dogs with Sauerkraut. For NY Style Pizza, Gino's can't be beat. Both are located on Park Avenue. Of course for Breakfast you'll have to head to any of the "Long Island Style Diners" with their 20 page menus. My favorite is the East Bay Diner in Bellmore, however most are very good because there is so much competition.
    bobo3039
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/01/22 19:13:33 (permalink)
    Brooks Barbeque in Oneonta has good chicken.
    Here's a link for directions:
    http://www.brooksbbq.com/directions.htm
    lileo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/01/24 22:57:00 (permalink)
    Malverne! I was born and raised there! It's been a long time since I've been there, but last time I was there the Malverne Deli was still in operation, and from the search I just did it seems as though they still are. It's take-out only, and the owners are not the original, but they inherited all of the original recipes. They made their own corned beef, german style from a bottom round, which is very lean - and very delicious. They also made homemade rice pudding.

It looks as though the Malverne Bakery is still next door, as well. They did nothing fancy, but their cakes and cookies were to die for. I now live in Northern Virginia, and I can't get any decent "regular" cakes here. There's plenty of "high end" pastries, but not much in the way of quality home-style baking. I still long for a Malverne Bakery birthday cake. I just found a post that indicates that they are still making their famous black & white cookies. Sounds like they've branched off into some more trendy things, as well, but I'm betting they are still great!

Don't know what else Malverne may now have in restaurants - we usually ventured into Lynbrook or Rockville Centre for that.

Look forward to hearing more on this! Memory lane for me!
    LI Leo
    edenic
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/02/20 13:54:14 (permalink)
    If you want a great dinner go to Frank's Steaks in Rockville Centre, 54 Lincoln Ave. About 2 minutes from Malverne. They have the best steaks and other entrees and the most delicious mashed potatoes I have ever tasted.

quote:
    Originally posted by Split T

My wife and I are taking a trip to Long Island (Malverne), and then driving north towards Albany and then to Cooperstown.

Would appreciate any recommendations on places to eat, excluding Seafood and Chinese.

Good burgers joints (no chains)and homestyle American cooking will be high on our list, including Great Breakfast places in interesting and historical locations.

forurlungsonly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/02/20 15:32:48 (permalink)
    There's a tiny old diner way downtown in Albany called the Miss Albany Diner. They have a really good brunch on weekends only, and have kind of strange hours, but the prices are pretty low and the food is good, especially the MAD Irish Toast with butterscotch whiskey sauce. They have a website, too:

www.missalbanydiner.com
    alfred
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/02/22 02:25:58 (permalink)
    One of my favorites for breakfast is Thomas' Ham and Eggery Diner in Carle Place, Long Island. Thousands have probably driven by the nondescript building that is Thomas's, not realizing the diner has been a Carle Place mainstay for more than 50 years. Breakfast is the specialty. You can keep it simple with a sunny side up selection or go for an omelette that is served sizzling in the skillet with home fries and toast or splurge on a Belgian waffle with ice cream. Recent specialties include raspberry-filled French toast and the Cajun omelette, filled with andouille sausage, scallions, tomatoes and peppers.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/02/23 08:18:42 (permalink)
    I agree with wanderingjew. The Lido deli is one of the best kosher style delis on long island. For fast food burgers go to "All American" on merrick road in massapequa. They have been there forever and have the best burgers, shakes and fries. They are also alot cheaper than McDonalds and they are not a chain. If the place is packed and the line is long don't worry because this place is trully "fast" food.
    Cosmos
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/03/23 07:50:04 (permalink)
    So, Split T, as April approaches, don't forget to fill us in on your trip!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/03/23 09:45:25 (permalink)
    When you leave Long Island, get on I 684 north to I 84 near Brewster, NY. The Red Rooster, recommended by the Sterns, is in Brewster- a good lunch stop. You could continue up old NY Rt 22 and take any number of east/west roads over to the Taconic Parkway, which is a very nice ride . Rt 22 is an old two lane road that takes you thru every hamlet and village and is slow going, but you'll see a whole lot of NY State .
    After lunch in Brewster you could also take I 84 over to the Taconic Parkway and proceed north to I 90 and go west to I 87 and into Albany- that's probably the fastest and most scenic way. For an afternoon coff/ice cream break there's lots of small towns easily accessable from the Taconic - I can't recommend any particular place because I hav'nt been that route in quite a few years. There's an Albany thread on these forums which has recently listed a number of Roadfood type places.
    Cosmos
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/05/02 08:39:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Split T

Ok, Split T, April's over, where'd you go, and how was it?
    MABdrummer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/05/09 21:06:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tonemonster2

Near Malverne in the East point Inn in East Rockaway. Excellent brunch. Take the Taconic Parkway up to Albany, much more scenic than the Thruway. See reiew of The Tackanic Diner, about half from NYC. Thaere's lots of good places in downtown Albany, really a decent nightlife. For breakfast try Quintesence on New Scotland Ave. And in Cooperstown don't miss the Omegang Brewery which makes Belgian style beer; it's a good tour and they have several decent micro-brews.

Unfortunately the East Point Inn was recently torn down
    geshe451
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Trip to Long Island and Upstate NY 2004/05/09 23:28:56 (permalink)
    if you are going to cooperstown, i assume that you'll be passing through albany. if so, try the following place:

the miss albany diner. it's located at 893 broadway down in the warehouse district of town. it's a historic little place that has a weekend brunch that should not be missed. the place is usually packed, so arrive early or be prepared to wait (it's worth it). they have a stuffed french toast that is unforgettable.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5