Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem)

Author
cavemaneats
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2017/11/09 05:35:57 (permalink)

Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem)

So our second build has been filled with delays and cost overruns, the first came the day we bought it.

Paid $2300 and had to drive it from 35 miles north of Seattle to our Commissary 40 miles south of Seattle. We took the Interstate and hit rush hour traffic coming through the emerald city. My wife who was following behind me calls be as we get to downtown.

"Hey, You're on Fire!" 

Pulled over thinking she's got go to be pulling my leg. Sure enough the drivers side wheel well is smoking and has 3 inch flames. Grab a couple of water bottles and put out the flames. Call a tow truck and head to the Tire and Break shop 3 miles away. $290 for the tow. $486 for new tire and rim. But the tire and brake shop said the fire melted the caliper and part of the brake line and they couldn't do the work because the truck was commercial and they only do small car brakes. Found another shop to do the caliper and brake line but had to tow it there. 5 miles away $150 should have called them the first time. New shop had no problem fixing those $909 with tax And 10 days later. Get it to the commissary easy enough after that.

The truck was formerly used as a Motocross Mechanic's rig so it had wooden tool shelves floor to ceiling, AstroTurf and peg board everywhere. After a week with a pry bar, hammer & 4 trips to the dump($600) the truck was gutted and 2800lbs lighter. Then the walls went in 4" hard foam insulation and FRP on all but 8 ft on the Passenger Side which needed rock wool incase I wanted to add a oven later. (Insolation and walls $540) But I digress.

After I drove the truck to my storage to pick up the equipment and sinks. Parked it opened the storage door loaded the equipment. Go to turn the Truck over no crank-no start. Tow truck #3 can't lift it because he only wants to pull it from the front and the auto brake is engaged and I'm not going to let him fiddle with that. Tow Truck #4 has her hooked up and 3 miles over to the mechanic I a half hour ($90). Where were you three weeks ago? Two day in the shop. New distributor cap $250 with inspection. Take it back to commissary.
Wait 2 weeks on plumber to show up, gives an estimate and I tell him I'm not available on weekends our BBQ trailer is working and I need to be there. He gives me a big shopping list of parts and accessories then tells me he'll be out on Friday. Calls late Friday to let me know he'll be by in the morning. Told him I wouldn't be there but one of my staff would unlock in the morning.
Saturday he shows up spends one hour on the triple sink and takes off according to the staffer. its three days before I hear from him by phone about his sob story about why the job wasn't done and that he could only meet on the weekends. Sorry that's not what we agreed to...click. So now I'm teaching myself plumbing and finish the work in 3 days. I wish I could find all the receipts to know how much I spent.

Install equipment. Crack Plexiglass Skylight, epoxy a temp fix. Install Temporary Breaker Box. She goes to work for the last weekend of our season. The pump fails and blows a fuse on the breaker(old nob and tube system) where we were plugged into not ours. Replace the pump on the spot good to go. We finish the weekend and take the truck back to the commissary. She sits for 2 weeks before I can get back to it. Someone has cut the gas intake line to syphon gas. Great. Unlock the gas cap to see how bad it is and forget to lock it again. The gas cap is stolen the next week. New gas cap and gas. Truck sits for a month while I'm on Christmas vacation. Come back to a dead battery, have my wife help me with jumping it. The terminals aren't labeled and she puts it on the wrong way. Cable Fried / one Battery toast one still good.

Put Project on hold for 2 months while I work on BBQ Trailer before the season. Come back in March. Some has stolen the batteries and cut most of the wiring to do so. Let it sit for 4 months(season started). Landlord wants the truck gone. Buy 2 new Batteries $560. Drive it around for a little bit notice the same drivers side wheel is hesitating and getting warm. Park it at my friends U-Haul shop for a week, BBQ Trailer is working for the month so take the truck to the storage intermittent stops to check that tire. Next day battery is dead. Trickle charge the over night and Truck starts right up take it back to the shop for an estimate on the cracked skylight replacement and check on brakes.

Quoted $700 for the window and $400 for non-related break job. Veto that and try to take Truck back battery is dead. Jump it the right way. Mechanic "Why does it have Two Batteries?". "Because it has a generator" I say. then I point to the Truck battery. "No That One". After the weekend, the Brakes lock up completely so have to pump the brakes multiple times to get the truck to move. Then over to the gas station, Turn the truck off and happen to walk past the back of the truck on my way to pay. Hmm. The park lights are on. So I go back and pump the brakes. Nothing. Then I stick my foot under the brake pedal and lift. Lights are off.

Hey wait a minute. You mean to tell me that it was a brake pedal causing me so much trouble with rubbing pads and dead batteries. Dude Not Cool. So that's where we stand now. I've got a cracked skylight waiting on two good days in a row to go to a better specialty shop. For a third the price. Just got drivers and passengers sliding window replacements for solid ones. Got a new retractable seat belt for the bucket seat. As well as seat belts for a fold up Bus Bench to be installed. I've removed the temporary power system and moved the equipment to better locations.
Total Build Cost to Date: $8600
Initial Projected Cost:     $13000
New Projected Cost:       $16000
post edited by cavemaneats - 2017/11/15 15:20:35

Attached Image(s)

10 Replies Related Threads

Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 09:16:38 (permalink)
    And this, boys and girls is why some people build a trailer instead of a truck.
    Also, why we learn to fix stuff ourselves.

But seriously, I feel your pain!!
    Many things sound similar to my 1st build attempt.

FYI, it was probably not your brake pedal causing the problem.
    It was either the height adjustment ( if you have that ) or the switch.

I fixed mine with a bungee cord.

THAT is probably what was killing the batteries.

That was not what was fried or stole the batteries.
    Too funny!

Anyway, I would be looking at the master cylinder and or proportioning valve.
    And do it before you build much further.

You said they replaced the caliper ??
    If it got hot enough for a fire, they should have done the rotor and the bearings while they had the rotor off.

During the build the truck tends to sit a lot and do nothing.
    I try to drive mine around every few weeks.  More if possible.
    That's how you learn whats wrong with it.

I know.... hard to do while you got other stuff on the go...

On my current build ( 2nd try )
    I have already replaced both batteries, starter, bunch of the front end components, wheels, tires, etc.

I accept it as part of the process.
    The 1st truck was WAY worse, and way older. It was a 73 or 76, so it was close to yours.
    That's exactly why I changed trucks.
    When I found an 89 come up for 3k, I busted my hump to get it before someone else did.

Although I loved the simplicity of the old truck, It was just that, an OLD truck.
    I thought it would be ok for a - drive around town- kinda lunch truck.
    But I heard that the real money is in the outa town festivals.

I love the story.
    Thanks for sharing.

We all get a big smile at other peoples pain.
    It helps keep our own crap in perspective.
    Plus its great therapy!

post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/11/09 09:24:58
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 11:34:44 (permalink)
    Hey Blakkmoon,
    No it was the pedal causing the problem with the braking. More Specifically the Hydrobooster was not returning the brake pedal to the proper position. In other words every time I was taking it out I was rubbing the pads against the rotor or worse. The problem is an easy fix I'm just kind of pissed it took so long to figure out. And that three different mechanics missed such a basic problem. On as recently as 10 days ago.

They may have replaced the bearings but the rotor was still in really good shape. They just bored it down a bit. Love the truck, aside from the theft and vandalism issues the brakes and power were the most stressful. But its nice to know that my pain can bring some joy.

AND YES THE BBQ TRAILER WAS MUCH EASIER!!!!!
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 11:48:26 (permalink)
    You let you Wife hook up the jumper cables? 
    2800 lbs. is a lot of weight to shed. Good luck.
    Karl

cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 12:28:34 (permalink)
    Yep I Did,
    I was in using the restroom at the time and she SAID she knew what she was doing. by the time I got back she was staring at smoke coming off the cables. Lesson learned, She is now not allowed near car batteries on any vehicle EVER. And Yes it Was a lllllooootttt of wood. I'm sure the guys at the dump where wondering how the hell one guy pulled all that crap out. 
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 15:03:43 (permalink)
    I wi
    cavemaneats
    More Specifically the Hydrobooster was not returning the brake pedal to the proper position. 

So I was kinda right.... it still wasn't the pedal....

I wish you had video of your wife trying blow up the truck !!

When I gutted the 1st truck, I clocked in at the dump somewhere around 900 pounds.
    90% wood.

And it was a food truck when I bought it!
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 15:04:10 (permalink)
    Did we all take Thur off?

cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/09 17:15:36 (permalink)
    I kept a couple little pieces from the original build out a small shelf that sits next to the Passenger door. Plan to put our cash register there. Still has its turf. May keep it that way as a conversation starter, "When I Started this truck ~tharr~ was wood shelving and AstroTurf as far as the eye could see". I'm also keeping the red shag carpet overhead shelf over the dashboard. It matched the folding up bus bench seat I bought. Don't judge.
    post edited by cavemaneats - 2017/11/09 17:17:54
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/15 14:37:43 (permalink)
    Update: Today...
    After being Quoted $700 for the cracked skylight replacement by a RV repair shop, I found a windshield installer who would do it for $175. Jumped on that. Still waiting on a couple days of dry weather to replace the flat pane drivers/passenger windows with sliding window replacements from Mill Supply.

Then, I'm going to be putting in a 13" buildup shelf over the wheel well and Generator Box on the Drivers Side. And placing a pair of matching cabinets with a 6' prep table top on them. Rewiring the Breaker Box to shift from generator to shore power more easily. And installing the pickup window. And installing the bus bench seat once I'm sure that I won't be moving major equipment around again. Paint it black and add adhesive vinyl signage.

post edited by cavemaneats - 2017/11/15 15:10:26

Attached Image(s)

cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/15 15:12:32 (permalink)
     Plus service side. But I'm trying to find an illuminated & magnetic backed enclosed bulletin board. So far I can get one or the other. Not Both.

post edited by cavemaneats - 2017/11/15 15:24:00

Attached Image(s)

Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re: Troubled Build (Brake Pedal Return Problem) 2017/11/15 17:18:20 (permalink)
    I would love a Fatty from Washington , Than a sandwich.
    Karl
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5