Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer

Author
mistertawny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
2004/12/01 17:12:50 (permalink)

Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer

Okay I read about White River Fish Market here, and since I was picking up my wife at the airport anyway thought it might be time to scope it out (we live about a 2 hour drive away). At the very least it would be better than fast food. First off if you go looking for the place, don't be put off by the area it's in, which is a bit.... industrial? One other thing, it's an an "older" (read slightly worn around the edges, but not quite seedy...yet) strip mall. My wife had never noticed it, and we had driven by it many times, she had thought it was a laundromat. I was not exactly thrilled from the outside, but inside the place is spotless, but perhaps a bit dated (think That 70's Show, for real). Still very clean and presentable.

At this place you don't order from a menu at your table, you look up at the menu board and order from it. That's when I noticed it was busy too. On Tuesday and Wednesday it's lobster dinner night. Sounded pretty good, and by then I was watching the food being served, and the portions were generous, so what the heck. Lots of other good looking items on the menu, and for once, this being the south, not everything was fried. You have grilled, steamed, boiled and broiled options too. After living out here for four years that was refreshing.

The $20.00 dinner includes one huge lobster tail (about 3/4 pound) and two sides and two huge SPICED hush puppies. I went for double onion rings, the wife had baked potatoe and green salad, all were tasty I might add. To be truthful I really wasn't expecting a steak sized lobster tail, but it was cooked PERFECTLY and was super sweet. Okay I can dole out the hyperbole, but this place was good, and I can't wait to go back.

For dessert we stopped at another Tulsa landmark, Weber's Root Beer. Man if you like old fashioned root beer you need to try this stuff. It's not cloying sweet, like most root beers have become. To be truthful, there is a bit of a birch bitter bite to it. Still very refreshing, and a bit different. I had a freezie (a root beer shake), and my wife had a 16 ounce cup. It's amazing that in this day of huge sodas, and refills, a 16 ounce cup with ice is more than enough to satisfy. Do try the fries too, they are among the best at a food stand I've had since Mc Donald's fries went south with the introduction of vegetable shortening.

Ont thing to note, both joints were started in the 1930's both have only changed hands once or twice. It makes you realize that there is something to doing things the old fashioned way it use to be done.

Both place get 2 thumbs up!!!!!!!!!! Is it too soon for a repeat trip?

10 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/01 17:33:35 (permalink)
    Good write-up ! Someday I hope to stop in Tulsa instead of zipping thru at about 75mph from one Turnpike to the Other !!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 01:28:09 (permalink)
    Great---I love this place and it may have been my post you read--i too almost missed it when i was in search of of a meal while waiting to pick someone up mat the airport. They do a great fried seafood platter thats killer---reminded me of the platters i grew up with in New England---When you go back----you should try their desserts!!!

---also--i was at Webber's for the first time recently---Great Root Beer---the quart in the big frosted mug!!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 01:34:14 (permalink)
    mistertawny---2hrs from Tulsa?--if your dont mind,where are you located---we are in Rentiesville---just south of Muskogee where I40 and 69 meet.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 01:35:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Good write-up ! Someday I hope to stop in Tulsa instead of zipping thru at about 75mph from one Turnpike to the Other !!

Mr Mayor---when you do--LET ME KNOW!
    mistertawny
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 12:34:55 (permalink)
    Howdy Tiki... We are in Oswego Kansas, 8 miles north of the OK border. Whenever family comes into town we always pick them up in Tulsa (closest large airport at about 90 miles away). My wife and I moved here from the San Francisco area 4 years ago for low cost of living, the lack of crime, and the quality of education.

I do miss the bay area, especially the restaurants, and think I want to move back. But then I come to my senses, and find somewhere cool to eat at..... I will probably do a write up about Joplin MO, and the surrounding area sometime soon too! Quite a few good hole in the wall places in SE Kansas and SW Missouri, especially if you like stick to your ribs staek and potatoe places.
    rwarn17588
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 14:02:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the fish market review. The locals rave about it, so I'll be heading there soon.

Wandering a tad off-topic, one thing I'll say about Tulsa: It has more mom-and-pop burger stands than anyplace I've lived. There are three really good ones within a mile of my house in Red Fork, which is the west side of the Arkansas River. There Crow's Drive-In, which is just off Southwest Boulevard near a school; Arnold's, which is just off I-44 and Union Avenue; and another one (I forgot the name) in a yellow building that's just a stone's throw from Arnold's. The hamburgers aren't real fancy -- just made fresh to order with toasted buns, and good.

Then there's Tally's Cafe, the Metro Diner, Hank's Hamburgers, Weber's Root Beer stands ... gosh, I'm getting hungry.
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 15:31:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mr Mayor---when you do--LET ME KNOW!

ME, TOO!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 15:33:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mistertawny

Okay I read about White River Fish Market here, and since I was picking up my wife at the airport anyway thought it might be time to scope it out (we live about a 2 hour drive away). At the very least it would be better than fast food. First off if you go looking for the place, don't be put off by the area it's in, which is a bit.... industrial? One other thing, it's an an "older" (read slightly worn around the edges, but not quite seedy...yet) strip mall. My wife had never noticed it, and we had driven by it many times, she had thought it was a laundromat. I was not exactly thrilled from the outside, but inside the place is spotless, but perhaps a bit dated (think That 70's Show, for real). Still very clean and presentable.

At this place you don't order from a menu at your table, you look up at the menu board and order from it. That's when I noticed it was busy too. On Tuesday and Wednesday it's lobster dinner night. Sounded pretty good, and by then I was watching the food being served, and the portions were generous, so what the heck. Lots of other good looking items on the menu, and for once, this being the south, not everything was fried. You have grilled, steamed, boiled and broiled options too. After living out here for four years that was refreshing.

The $20.00 dinner includes one huge lobster tail (about 3/4 pound) and two sides and two huge SPICED hush puppies. I went for double onion rings, the wife had baked potatoe and green salad, all were tasty I might add. To be truthful I really wasn't expecting a steak sized lobster tail, but it was cooked PERFECTLY and was super sweet. Okay I can dole out the hyperbole, but this place was good, and I can't wait to go back.

For dessert we stopped at another Tulsa landmark, Weber's Root Beer. Man if you like old fashioned root beer you need to try this stuff. It's not cloying sweet, like most root beers have become. To be truthful, there is a bit of a birch bitter bite to it. Still very refreshing, and a bit different. I had a freezie (a root beer shake), and my wife had a 16 ounce cup. It's amazing that in this day of huge sodas, and refills, a 16 ounce cup with ice is more than enough to satisfy. Do try the fries too, they are among the best at a food stand I've had since Mc Donald's fries went south with the introduction of vegetable shortening.

Ont thing to note, both joints were started in the 1930's both have only changed hands once or twice. It makes you realize that there is something to doing things the old fashioned way it use to be done.

Both place get 2 thumbs up!!!!!!!!!! Is it too soon for a repeat trip?

Next time you are at White River, don't miss the gumbo and sweet potato pie. Both are world-class.
    mistertawny
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2004/12/02 18:15:25 (permalink)
    Forgot about the gumbo. While I am not a fan, my wife is. We bought a pint for her lunch yesterday. Now she is not one who likes her gumbo too spicy to appreciate the flavors of all the ingredients. one of the reasons I don't like gumbo is the attempt too often for "burn factor" rather than a great stew.

White River's gumbo was remarkably light (I did try a bite to see what she was talking about, and was pleasantly surprised by the overall fine, sweet taste), and very aromatic. A little spicy, but not enough to make your ears steam. I have had Acadian gumbo "down on the bayou", and this was definately a reminder of that experience, rather than a "spicy" chili cook off.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8679
    RE: Tulsa fish and lobster place, the root beer 2018/05/06 00:49:06 (permalink)
    On the recommendation of Buffetbuster we stopped at White River Fish Market for lunch back in March.

Yes, it really is a market as well as a restaurant.

Mrs. Chicken loves catfish and was very happy to see it on the menu.

It'd been a long time since I'd had scallops.

Pinto beans were my side.

We were very happy with our meal.  The fish was moist and flaky with a light, delicate flavor and the scallops were sweet and juicy, and I thought the beans were very good as well.  The fries were pretty ordinary but they were hot and properly cooked, and to be honest I can't imagine anybody goes to White River for potatoes.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5