U.S. 17 near Glenns, VA and Saluda, VA

Author
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
2005/07/25 16:33:32 (permalink)

U.S. 17 near Glenns, VA and Saluda, VA

This weekend, I will be visiting my parents at a Thousand Trails campsite on the Piankatank River in eastern Virginia, near Glenns and Saluda, Virginia and U.S. Route 17. The site is about 13 miles west of the Chesapeake Bay and 25 miles north of Williamsburg. I'm looking for a sit-down dinner type of place for Saturday night. I know that there are several places in Williamsburg that are recommended on other threads, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations that are closer to where we'll be. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3 Replies Related Threads

benjo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: U.S. 17 near Glenns, VA and Saluda, VA 2005/07/26 12:38:14 (permalink)
    My folks live several miles east of there. There's a surprising amount of great places to eat in the area. Are you looking for fancier digs or more family-restaurant style?

If you're looking for more upscale service and dining, go for Trick Dog in Irvington or Toby's in Deltaville.

Relaxed: I love David's Last Chance so I've got to plug em!

For a local rivah / Tidewater experience: Shuckers in Urbanna.

For future reference, a few of my faves, FWIW:

In and around Urbanna (North on Urbanna Rd from 1000 Trails)
    1) Shucker's - traditional local place. Had a bit of a rough patch for a couple years, but the new management has restored its kitchen to its former glory. Great place for beer, fish, and oysters.
    2) Something Different Country Store - The only one on this list that's not a sit-down, but it is a great place for barbecue and other smoked foods.

Deltaville, or on the road to Deltaville:
    1) Toby's - A surprisingly gourmet place in the middle of "nowhere." Seafood, of course, is their specialty.
    2) David's Last Chance - Friendly place with solid meals. I've never been disappointed. Great homemade pies!
    3) The Galley - Family restaurant. Fresh fish, burgers, standard fair, but friendly folks.

Topping:
    1) Eckhard's - great German restaurant

Irvington:
    1) Trick Dog Cafe - The place to see and be seen in Tidewater if you want to get all fancy-like. Great meals, pricey.

I love this part of Virginia. Outside of the boating scene, I suppose it's kind of a backwater, but has a lot of hidden gems.
    benjo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: U.S. 17 near Glenns, VA and Saluda, VA 2005/08/03 15:13:23 (permalink)
    Just following up... did you find anything good down there?
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: U.S. 17 near Glenns, VA and Saluda, VA 2005/08/04 13:59:03 (permalink)
    benjo, my parents were visiting the Thousand Trails campsite with members of their motor home club. The original plan was that Friday's dinner was supposed to be a potluck, with everyone bringing a dish, but on Saturday, when we were there, everyone was supposed to fend for themselves. However, there was so much food left over from Friday that it was sufficient to feed everyone on Saturday, so we ended up eating at the campsite. Thanks anyway for the information, though. I'm sure that at some point my parents will be down that way again, and if we go with them, we'll know where to eat.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5