Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 14:07:47 (permalink)
lol........I just googled Rabbit Tobacco to show people what it looks like...........and this is one of the hits for it

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24663,00.html

No it's not rabbit tobacco leaves, but I thought that it was sure an interesting preparation. One I would never think of, that's for sure.

( See, pogo and I did NOT REALLY go off topic clothier.......ya look hard enough and you can tie in anything)
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 14:16:43 (permalink)
"To my great delight, when I went away to visit a friend in Worcestershire this weekend, we went shopping and stumbled across a great shop that sold all sorts of spices, herbs, nuts, trail mixes and hard-to-get (in England) cereals like polenta, red rice etc."

Ok Jellybeans, I gotta ask, did you buy any " Worcestershire sauce"?
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 14:32:37 (permalink)
Roasted any suckling pigs lately? Tobacco-flavored ice cream...Ugh! Read on. http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0218/p11s02-lifo.html
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3658
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 15:54:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

redtressed -- Ever smoke rabbit tobacco? You get extra points if the rolling paper used to be part of a grocery sack...

When I was a student at Southern Illinois University, near the Kentucky border, rabbit tobacco was a favorite with the young rural crowd.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11670
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 16:07:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Roasted any suckling pigs lately? Tobacco-flavored ice cream...Ugh! Read on. http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0218/p11s02-lifo.html

Dr. This? You trust the credentials of a guy (Frog guy no less) named Dr. This? Sounds like a creepy character out of a James Bond movie.
redtressed
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 20:32:19 (permalink)
chicagostyledog, I see that you were a good boy and well raised by your mention of rabbit tobacco tea. You're Mama obviously read Beatrix Potter to you
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 20:46:11 (permalink)
Wonder if any of you can help me find somthing---at a wonderful little place thats now gone--in Chico Ca --that served "Persian" cooking--actually the folks were chistian Iranians thats got out after Khomeni took over---anyway--they had a condiment shaker of deep red powdered sumac of some kind---IT was wonderful!!! rich-full fragrant and great with Chicken Karai---a curry--and seasoned basmati. I cant recall exactly what it was called--couldnt read the label they shared with me. I would ask for some and they would send me home an ounce or so.
Anyway if any of you know what this is exactly and myabe where to get it I would be delighted. Thanks

PS---Jellybean---if theres anything that can be got here easier then there let us know---i know you can get a few things there that we cant get here and im sure lots folks would "send you theirs if you send them yours"!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 20:56:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

No it's not rabbit tobacco leaves, but I thought that it was sure an interesting preparation. One I would never think of, that's for sure.

I believe this recipe includes the first known use of the phrase: "Subtle Garlic Sauce"...
redtressed
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 23:01:51 (permalink)
Tiki, no problem. The grocery I mentioned before in my original post has sumac as well as a co-op here and very reasonable for a large quantity. Sumac is wonderful in season rice too, btw.......just steam the rice in chicken broth and add sumac.......mmmmmmmmm. I'll try to get to both stores next week and pick up some for you. Just remind me next week sometime. I don't have a car, so I have to wait on the kindness of others to get me over to them, but I usually go there the first week in the month........just remember to remind me next week.
redtressed
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 23:07:04 (permalink)
lol..I think you're right pogo, dear. The construction of that whole recipe, just kind of had me thinking......HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

btw , if you decide you just can't live without making this dish, please do not take the preparation to Arkansas. I'd hate to have to bail you out of jail. I kid you not.........I read a pdf file that amongst other things like trying to kill rabbits with the use of tobacco, that it is illegal to prepare rabbit or wrap rabbit in a tobacco leaf(as well as squirrel).

Who comes up with these recipes and who comes up with the absurd laws to give them credence. Too strange.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 23:17:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Dr. This? You trust the credentials of a guy (Frog guy no less) named Dr. This? Sounds like a creepy character out of a James Bond movie.

I trust no one, least of all someone who might want to wave something nasty in the general direction of Mr. Bond, James Bond.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2352
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/23 23:27:01 (permalink)
quote:

lol..I think you're right pogo, dear. The construction of that whole recipe, just kind of had me thinking......HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

btw , if you decide you just can't live without making this dish, please do not take the preparation to Arkansas. I'd hate to have to bail you out of jail. I kid you not.........I read a pdf file that amongst other things like trying to kill rabbits with the use of tobacco, that it is illegal to prepare rabbit or wrap rabbit in a tobacco leaf(as well as squirrel).

Who comes up with these recipes and who comes up with the absurd laws to give them creedence. Too strange.

Absurd laws? I'll give you an absurd law. In California, it is illegal to shoot a whale from a moving automobile! If your car is stationary, you are within the boundaries of the law.
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/24 04:08:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

PS---Jellybean---if theres anything that can be got here easier then there let us know---i know you can get a few things there that we cant get here and im sure lots folks would "send you theirs if you send them yours"!

I'm up for it in spirit However, at the moment I will tread carefully with this because I'm still temping and doing internships while hunting for a permanent career-track job and so don't have much money to spare. I don't object to swapping hard-to-get foodstuffs as foodstuffs don't cost much. It's Her Majesty's Postal Service that costs a bloody bomb. To wit:

Christmas cards--cheap and plentiful. 50 of them costs me GBP1.99
Postage for said Christmas cards (combination of national and international postage stamps)--GBP15.68!!!!

I can never forget almost letting out a scream right there in the post office in front of a whole line of people waiting patiently with Christmas parcels. The look on my face was such that everyone nodded with sympathy, including the Post Office clerk!

BUT, if it's a little packet of something, sure--I'll be able to manage to send it. I just have to label it: gift. As for sending in stuff from the States, it's potluck as to whether we have to pay customs tax and that costs a bomb too (often more than the gift itself costs!) so...

And thus concludes a crash course in how ridiculously expensive the UK can be...
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/24 04:12:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd[brOk Jellybeans, I gotta ask, did you buy any ' Worcestershire sauce'?

Nah! I already have one bottle of said Worcestershire sauce open and another new bottle to go at home. Lea and Perrins, no less
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/24 06:37:22 (permalink)
quote:

Tiki, no problem. The grocery I mentioned before in my original post has sumac as well as a co-op here and very reasonable for a large quantity. Sumac is wonderful in season rice too, btw.......just steam the rice in chicken broth and add sumac.......mmmmmmmmm. I'll try to get to both stores next week and pick up some for you. Just remind me next week sometime. I don't have a car, so I have to wait on the kindness of others to get me over to them, but I usually go there the first week in the month........just remember to remind me next week.

Well bless your little heart!! Email me sometime and we will deal with details! Thanks again!
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 144
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2004/02/24 09:04:52 (permalink)
Mhlokia(I've seen various spellings on this)-Mhlokia is of the marshmallow root family. It is used in Egypt and those areas primarily with chicken dishes, although I use it in roast beef dishes , quite a bit. I can't begin to tell you the aroma it puts off through the house. It's reminiscent of fenugreek, but not that strong, it has overtones of mint but not the mentholity(nice word I made up , huh?)of mint. Oregano and Basil and rosemary overtones, it's an all-inclusive herb. Everyone who's walked into my house whilst it is included in a concoction of mine just melts. I swear it has both calming and aphrodesiacal properties too. I first bought it from a small herbal and spice shop in NYC on a senior high school field trip many moons ago, in the late 70's.(The normal kids bought "I Love NY" heart t shirts, I blew my money on spices....weird child) It was exhorbiantly expensive there, but I loved it instantly. I now buy it at my International Grocery buddy's place for about 2.59 for a quart sized ziplock bag. If you ever come across it, try it in a potpourri pot......mmmmmmmmm.

I was so intrigued by this description that I've been going NUTS since I read it trying to find this stuff. So far, no luck.
Can anyone guide help guide me in the right direction?
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5773
RE: Unusual Ingredients and Little Exotic Touches 2005/02/04 14:15:29 (permalink)
I wonder if boo boo ever found her marshmallow root?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5