Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed.

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
2016/08/24 13:57:00 (permalink)

Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed.

I'm leaving in a few weeks for a trip to the East Coast. I'll be in Newark, New Jersey; NYC; Long Island; Massapequa; Freeport and Monroe. In the Long Island area I'm looking for seafood and any local specialties. In NYC I'd love to find some food (including pizza) in Little Italy and some NY style Chinese in Chinatown (extra points for a place that has the old style pressed or almond duck). Any other NYC suggestions are also good. In the area around Monroe (upstate) I'd like to find some local specialties. Is beef on weck or speidies in that region? And in Newark, I would love to find a good hot dog or sandwich. Any other outstanding suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
post edited by EdSails - 2016/08/24 13:58:14

8 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2927
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/24 18:50:51 (permalink)
    Hi Ed, lots of great eats here in NYC and in the region.  So glad you're making it to our neck of the woods!  I don't know much about Newark but just a ways northwest of Newark is Jimmy Buff's in West Orange, NJ.  I've been on the NJ Hot Dog Tour a couple of times and Buff's puts out a great version of the NJ specialty, the Italian Hot Dog.

In Long Island, there is a fantastic Bakery north of Freeport just off of the Meadowbrook State Parkway.  It's called Cardinali Bakery & Pastry Shop and it's in Carle Place, NY.  Some of the best proscuitto bread, semolina bread, pignoli cookies, sfogliatelle and pizza I have ever tried.  The pizza seems to be only on certain days and runs out early in the day but it's still worth it for the other items as well.  My friends live on the next street over so I've made plenty of trips there and can vouch for their consistency.  In Massapequa, there is the All American Hamburger Drive In.  It looks like a McDonald's from the 1950s but the burgers, fries and shakes are much better.  I've only been one time and that was in 2011 so I don't know how it has held up but I loved it.  

In NYC, I'd recommend Prince Street Pizza in Nolita.  Tiny closet of a place but their Spicy Spring (loaded with lots of spicy pepperoni that curls up and gets crispy on the edges) and the Broadway Breadcrumb (a sfincione slice with toasted breadcrumbs on top) are both winners with me.  It a slice joint that has a few "tall boy" seats but is mostly a standup and eat kinda place.  Another solid pizza joint is Lombardi's on Spring Street.  Whole pies only.  They don't take reservations and may be CASH ONLY.  Solid pies and calzones.  Love their roasted red peppers, meatballs and their white pies with ricotta but I cannot recommend the clam pies.  Just down the street 1 block is Rice To Riches, an all rice pudding dessert bar.  If you're into rice pudding, it's a great place.  I usually take it to go and score a seat at one of the chess tables in the park across the street. If you can make it to Katz's Delicatessen on Houston Street it's worth the trip.  I love the pastrami on rye, pastrami reuben and the brisket on a Club roll (be sure to get the gravy on the side for dipping!).  I'm not much of a duck fan so I can't be of much help in that search but Wo Hop on Mott Street is my favorite old school, Americanized Chinese spot in Chinatown.  Been many times and I always walk away happy.  

Here's a link to a trip report I posted of a pair of trips that Ralph and Lori Melton made to NYC that includes some of the spots I mentioned above: http://forums.roadfood.com/This-is-New-York-with-Ralph-amp-Lori-m811559.aspx

So funny that you mentioned Monroe.  I have dear friends who live in Monroe so I get up there from time to time.  Unfortunately, beef-on-weck (Buffalo area) and spiedies (Southern Tier - Binghamton/Cornell area) are not in the Monroe region.  I don't know of any regional fare in that area but there is a sizable migrant worker community which has spawned some excellent Mexican spots, one of which is La Rancherita on Carpenter Place in Monroe, just a couple of blocks from the Mill Pond downtown.  It's a small place with a few tables and mostly a to go outfit.  I had a really good torta sandwich from there a few years back.  There is a place called Auntie El's Farm Market in Sloatsburg, NY.  It's on NY-17 (aka Orange Turnpike).  I stopped in there when some old Central NY friends were visiting from Florida and we drove up to our hometown for the weekend.  We just happened to be passing by and it was a great find.  I posted some pics and narrative to an ongoing trip report about New York State.  The Auntie El's write up is on pg. 4 which should be what I've linked here: http://forums.roadfood.com/I-Say-Fretta-You-Say-Frittata-and-the-Passion-of-the-Pusty-UPDATED-050816-m791826-p4.aspx

If you need any more info, directions, tips or would like to meet up for a meal or two, feel free to drop me a line.  Happy Roadfooding!

post edited by billyboy - 2016/08/24 19:50:30
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11913
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/24 18:58:08 (permalink)
    I was hoping our resident NYC expert, billyboy, would chime in!  Trust him, Ed, he knows of what he speaks!!! 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/24 21:07:41 (permalink)
    Thanks, billyboy, I knew I could count on you! I will check our schedule and send you a PM----I think it would be fun to meet up for a meal!
    joerogo
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5330
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/27 09:05:06 (permalink)
    Hey Ed, I worked in the Monroe, there's good food, but, no regional specialties that I know of. That's Benzee's hometown, maybe he could help out. With that said, you are about 1 1/2 hours from Binghamton, Spiedie capital of the world! :) let me know if you plan on traveling that far, maybe I can give you the spiedie tour! Joe
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/27 10:43:17 (permalink)
    Be sure to visit the Portugeuse "Ironbound" section of Newark. Lots of good restaurants. NBe sure to vbisit a bakery...A classic dessert is called "Pastege(spelling?) , custard cup pastry, and I defy you to eat just one. That's the only area in Newark I'd highly recommend.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/27 16:50:30 (permalink)
    Joerogo,
    I was in Binghampton about 10 years ago and ate myself silly with speidies. I even bought a bottle of speidie sauce to bring back to CA and used it to make some delicious homemade ones. Sadly, I won't be making it to Binghampton this time, but thanks for the invite!

leethebard,
    That sounds like a really good idea, I would love to try a Portuguese restaurant. I'll look for the bakery too. Any suggestions?
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/27 21:02:48 (permalink)
    Try Teixeira's Bakery on Ferry Stt...or there are several other bakeries along Ferry st. close by. Window shop. Just tryn the custard cup pastries!!!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Upstate New York, NYC and New Jersey visiting, help needed. 2016/08/28 00:02:28 (permalink)
    I will definitely try one (or two), Lee!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5