Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark

Author
rcb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/19 09:52:52 (permalink)

Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark

My family will be driving from Charlotte, NC to Fayetteville the first week in August. Any suggestions for great places to eat
on the way and in Fayetteville. They have two kids 11 and 4 1/2,
one is a very finicky eater. Thanks for any help!

12 Replies Related Threads

Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/19 10:23:24 (permalink)
    I vote for Doe's Eat Place, just a couple blocks away from the downtown square. Here is the dinner menu for the Doe's in Little Rock:

The steak is served for two and will melt in your mouth.

http://www.doeseatplace.net/menu.html#dinner
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/19 10:31:37 (permalink)
    Not too far from Fayetteville is War Eagle Mill, a working grist mill and restaurant. http://www.wareaglemill.com/index.asp
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/20 11:31:41 (permalink)
    A great local NW Arkansas restaurant chain is AQ Chicken House. There is one in Fayetteville on US Business 71. Great fried chicken, catfish, BBQ and steaks. We never pass up the chance to eat there when in town.
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/20 12:49:02 (permalink)
    These are the places I know of on I-40 through Arkansas:

The Sawmill- Forrest City exit. Was once a Cracker Barrel but now houses a locally owned buffett serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Greens and breads are of particular mention and the meats are all good. Very reasonable. Contains a gift shop with LOCAL treats and offerings.

Whattaburger-Russellville exit. As recommended by the Sterns and their review is in the restaraunt section, Feltner's Whattaburger has excellent burgers, fries and shakes.

The Altus exit offers several fine offerings. The home of Arkansas winemaking, Altus contains several fine wineries, including Post Winery, Wiederskellar, Aux Chateaux and several others whose names escape me. Wiedarskellar features a German restaraunt, Post has a wonder shop and includes locally made treats like Hoop Cheese and cottage cheese. Altus, which was once a small coal company town, has been reinvented as a quaint small town of boutiques and restaraunts. Fat Tuesdays is an excellent Cajun Creole place, and they also own a great pizza place next to them. Kelt's features pub fare such as sandwhiches etc and a large emporium of imported beers at reasonable prices.

Ozark Exit has one of the best "Q" places I've ever been in.........The Rivertowne Inn, featuring pork, chicken and beef bbq, and several combination platters. The okra is to die for as is the slaw. Also in Ozark is a place of which I can't remember the name, but is easily found at the end of the exit by a Phillips 66 gas station. Large juciy hamburgers and awesome handcut fries and onion rings.

Alma exit has a Braums and if you head up on 71 , traveling through some pretty Ozark country, approximately 6 or 7 miles out of Alma, on the right is the Catfish house. All you can eat fried catfish, crab, shrimp and oysters are featured along with awesome hushpupies. Sides are served family style and all is absolutely scrumption. A combination meal ran about 8.95 per person.

lin ken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/21 17:45:54 (permalink)
    Drive over to Eureka Springs for the day. If you like Italian try Ermilio's.They have the best bread and roasted garlic ever.
    Eater E.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/24 18:34:51 (permalink)
    I second the recommendation for the AQ Chicken House. Also for Ermilio's in Eureka Springs.
    NumNums
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/28 19:44:05 (permalink)
    A visit to Fayetteville would not be complete without a stop at The Catfish Hole on 16 west about 1 mile from 540. They have delicious fried catfish of course and great hush puppies. The green tomato relish is fab. Lynn's Cajun Gypsy on Poplar St. is a local fave for authentic La. foods. If you want the best donuts and sweets in town stop at Rick's bakery on College Ave. Its across the street from the V.A. hospital. If you go there you can sit at the counter and watch the cake artists at work while you savor a donut and a cup of coffee. Personally, I would skip AQ chicken House, the food is pretty ordinary in my opinion...and I know 'cause I live here!
    NumNums
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/28 19:56:13 (permalink)
    The roasted garlic and fresh bread are my favorite too! Yum... makes me hungry just to think about it.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/29 15:02:47 (permalink)
    Despite NumNums' disparaging remarks about my beloved AQ Chicken House, I will heartily second the nomination of the Catfish Hole. May be the best hushpuppies I have ever eaten, and the shrimp is just as good as the catfish.

Another place we always used to stop on the way through the area was the Ozark Mountain Smokehouse on US 71 (Now a scenic byway) in the Boston Mountains near Mountainburg. This is the original location, started in the 1940s. They also have restaurants in Fayetteville and Russellvile that I know of, and maybe others. Excellent smoked hams, turkey, chicken, bacon etc. A smoked turkey sandwich along with a dill pickle and homemade potato chips in a rustic setting on the side of a mountain - it doesn't get any better. Check out their website.
    NumNums
    Junior Burger
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/07/30 10:39:29 (permalink)
    Located on 6th street in south Fayetteville is a burger stand called Brenda's Bigger Burgers. Its is open most days except Sunday and for lunch only. You order at the window and can eat at one of the outdoor tables or take your burger and onion rings to nearby Wilson Park to eat. The burgers, as expected, are huge and will make your cholesterol shoot through the roof. It is usually very busy and people watching there is fun in itself.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/08/07 01:14:30 (permalink)
    I'm thinking of going to Eureka Springs later this year with my in-laws. Any recommendations for lodging? Cabins vs. hotel?
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Vacationing in Fayetteville, Ark 2005/08/10 13:23:19 (permalink)
    Eureka Springs is home to about a hundred and one beautiful old Victorian homes refurbished as bed-and-breakfasts. Here is a comprehensive list, with links:

http://www.eurekasprings.org/places-to-stay/search.asp
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5