WI supper club closes after 90 years

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
2017/03/21 08:33:16 (permalink)

WI supper club closes after 90 years

Halverson's, outside of Stoughton and around 10 miles from my house, closed after last Saturday night.  We ate there occasionally over the years although it's been awhile.  Hopefully a new owner will step in soon.

2 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10304
    Re: WI supper club closes after 90 years 2017/03/21 09:26:46 (permalink)
    " />
    Ketteract
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 991
    Re: WI supper club closes after 90 years 2017/03/21 10:54:32 (permalink)
    Halverson's was popular through the years because it was "just a cozy place," she said. "Not like your chains that you have out there. People just enjoyed the supper club atmosphere because you don't have a whole lot of those out there anymore."

I feel like someone could write a long-form New Yorker article about just that "coziness". It's a defining characteristic of so many old sit-down places, and it comes in different flavors, depending on the type of establishment (diner vs. tavern), management's awareness of decor (deliberate effort vs. incidentally accumulated kitsch, for example), the evolution or non-evolution of the clientele, etc. The feelings I got when walking into Cypress and Fernwood were different yet the same.

Whether that's an endangered species, I'm not sure. Some atmospheres are surely generationally-specific, but perhaps others are not. While chains have grown in number and power, I'd think there would always be room for comfy destination restaurants.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5