Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe

Author
brightcopperkettles
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 201
2006/04/12 04:36:11 (permalink)

Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe

I tried that Paula Deen's Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding, and it was just awful. It was so sweet, I couldn't even eat it, and I'm a Southerner.

Does anybody have a really good southern banana pudding recipe, you know, the kind with the meringue on top?

And while we're at it, how about a really good recipe for coconut cake? Easter's coming!

10 Replies Related Threads

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/12 04:49:29 (permalink)
    RE: The cake. I'm heading out to Mom's on Thursday (She's not really my Mom, she's the widow of my first Captain in the FD. I made her my Mom after mine passed) She makes me my favorite cake, which is coconut, and she makes it well. I'll see if I can pry the recipe from her fingers for you my dear.

As far as banana pudding goes, the real stuff ain't YELLOW! But you knew that.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/12 07:57:32 (permalink)
    Not too sweet at all

1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon butter (not margarine)
    4 egg yolks (large eggs or better)
    box of Vanilla wafers
    4-5 ripe bananas

Meringue
    4 egg whites, at room temperature
    5 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line the bottom of a 9 x 9 baking dish with a layer of vanilla wafers.
    This recipe will not use the whole box.

Peel the bananas and slice into rounds Cover the banana slices with plastic wrap
    to keep them from darkening and quickly make your pudding.

Combine the sugar, flour and salt in a bowl, and stir well to mix. Mash out any
    flour lumps with the back of your spoon. Set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, beat the egg yolks well Over medium heat, add the flour mixture
    to the egg yolks, alternately with the milk and vanilla, stirring constantly. Bring
    to a gentle boil and, when the mixture begins to thicken, add the butter, continuing
    to stir. Keep boiling and stirring until mixture reaches a nice pudding consistency.
    Remove from heat.

Place a layer of banana slices in the baking dish on top of the vanilla wafers.
    Pour, spreading as necessary, half of the pudding over the banana layer.
    Put down another layer of vanilla wafers, another layer of banana slices,
    and cover with the remaining pudding.

Beat the egg whites at high speed until they form soft peaks. Add the cream of tartar.
    At high speed, gradually add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and beat until stiff
    peaks form. Fold the vanilla into the meringue, and spread the meringue over the pudding,
    sealing it at the sides of the dish.

Bake in a preheated 375°F oven until meringue browns, 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon your oven.

If you want it even less sweet, make sure your bananas are not too ripe.
    brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/12 18:26:24 (permalink)
    Thank you so much, both of you!! Much appreciated!
    brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/17 16:18:23 (permalink)
    Hey enginecapt, how's about that cake recipe????
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/17 16:45:04 (permalink)
    The Oneirons tried and true recipe is found on the Nilla wafer box. I agree with the above post about Paula Deen's as being too sweet. Alot of her recipes are "over the top" on sweetness or richness IMHO.
    brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/18 14:37:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

The Oneirons tried and true recipe is found on the Nilla wafer box. I agree with the above post about Paula Deen's as being too sweet. Alot of her recipes are "over the top" on sweetness or richness IMHO.

I agree. She sure likes her sugar. I don't mind the richness part, but there IS such a thing as TOO sweet.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1426
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/18 16:13:55 (permalink)
    I made this at Thanksgiving and it was excellent. I would suggest letting the pudding cool before layering, as I think it makes the vanilla wafers too soggy if put on warm.

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

Preheat oven to 425

2/3 c. sugar
    3 TBS + 2 tsps all-purpose flour
    dash of salt
    21/2 c whole milk
    1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
    4 eggs, separated
    2 tsps vanilla extract
    1 (12 oz) pkg vanilla wafers
    6 large bananas
    1/4 c + 2 TBS sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine 2/3 c sugar, flour, and salt in a heavy saucepan. In a separate bowl, combine milks and egg yolks and stir well, add to saucepan and whisk in together with the dry ingredients (at this point, line a 2 qt casserole dish with a layer of wafers and slice 21/2 bananas in rounds on top of the wafers).

Cook pudding mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened (about 20-25 min). Remove pudding from heat and stir in 2 tsps of vanilla.

Let pudding mixture cool, pour a layer of pudding over wafer-banana layer. Add wafers on outer sides of dish. Repeat layer twice, use any leftover wafers on top of the last layer of pudding.

Beat egg whites(at room temp) at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add in 1/4 c plus 2 tsps sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Spread meringue up to the edges of the casserole. Bake at 425 for 6-8 minutes, or until meringue peaks are golden brown (Keep an eye on it the whole time to keep it from burning).

brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/19 02:11:05 (permalink)
    I have printed out both recipes to try. Thank you all so much!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/19 02:37:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brightcopperkettles

Just got back last night. She wouldn't give it to me. She said I can have it after she's gone. She's feisty.
    brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Wanted: Truly good banana pudding recipe 2006/04/20 03:36:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
    Originally posted by brightcopperkettles

Just got back last night. She wouldn't give it to me. She said I can have it after she's gone. She's feisty.

Thanks for trying!
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5