Watcha cooking today?

Author
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
2005/01/22 12:00:30 (permalink)

Watcha cooking today?

I'm still on my N.O. jag, so I thought I'd fix up a mess of red beans (using Paul Prudhomme's recipe) today and let them "mellow" in the frig for Monday's supper.

Waht are my fellow RoadFooders doing with their stoves?

23 Replies Related Threads

zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 12:23:37 (permalink)
    Don't have to work all weekend! Therefore, I have the time to do some fun cooking. I'm making a starter for bread today, but the bread with be baked tomorrow. Tonight will be pork loin chops on the bone with a white wine, cornichon and demi - glace sauce with mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli and a white bordeaux of some kind. Not having to go to work on the weekends is a luxury at times. Well, at all times.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 12:25:44 (permalink)
    We're snowed in for the weekend - it's started already. Naturally, the "purple spot" on the radar (heaviest accumulations) is pretty much directly over us. They say we can get up to 25 inches. Joy.

So, we're making the best of it. The fire's roaring, I'm putting away the last of the Christmas decor and we've got a 7 1/2 pound rubbed picnic ham in the oven that's been slowly cooking at 225 since 8 am this morning. Later in the day I'll make some homemade cornbread - Sundancer's recipe from the RF cookbook. Store bought coleslaw, though, and maybe I'll make some water chestnuts wrapped in bacon for a little appetizer. Haven't decided on the Q sauce yet though. Maybe a vinegar based, maybe some doctored up Sweet Baby Rays - or both -need to check the cookbooks and see what ingredients I have on hand. It's not true BBQ, but it's the best we can do in this weather! Sue
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 12:46:43 (permalink)
    Tacos. Homemade is the best, spicy for me, bland and boring for hubby!

LL
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 13:18:43 (permalink)
    We're getting a snowstorm here in Maryland, so we're sort of planning for stir-crazy-alleviation foods which are fun for the kids to help prepare. We plan to bake cinnamon muffins and/or brownies, but for dinner we've got the stuff to make crab rangoons and egg rolls. My egg rolls have ground pork, shrimp (some chopped, some pureed), leeks, and many sauces and seasonings. They're so good and juicy you don't even need duck sauce.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 14:15:42 (permalink)
    FRIED CHICKEN!!! mashed potatos,and some home grown green beans from the freezer of my neighbors---and maybe some corn bread!
    BTW---its CCOLD here and WINDY--but no snow!!
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 14:31:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennie

We're getting a snowstorm here in Maryland, so we're sort of planning for stir-crazy-alleviation foods which are fun for the kids to help prepare. We plan to bake cinnamon muffins and/or brownies, but for dinner we've got the stuff to make crab rangoons and egg rolls. My egg rolls have ground pork, shrimp (some chopped, some pureed), leeks, and many sauces and seasonings. They're so good and juicy you don't even need duck sauce.

Would you mind emailing me those recipes? I've always wanted to try and make my own!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 15:02:53 (permalink)
    My daughter is a vegetarian,so today I will make my famous 'pasta primavera'....take whatever is around(veggies),celery,onions,Italian parsley,tomatos(just one will do),anything! saute in garlic-infused olive oil(do not overcook,veggies should maintain crunch) and mix in cooked pasta(angel hair or cappalini).....serve w/ a good romano and some Italian crusty bread
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 15:17:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aleswench

quote:
    Originally posted by Jennie

My egg rolls have ground pork, shrimp (some chopped, some pureed), leeks, and many sauces and seasonings. They're so good and juicy you don't even need duck sauce.

Would you mind emailing me those recipes? I've always wanted to try and make my own!

Oh, sure! The seafood lady at Safeway asked me to type it up for her, too. So I'll send you my egg roll recipe, unless anyone would like me to post it. I've just done a search to find crab rangoon recpies on the net, though. I've got to use one which doesn't call for chives (which I forgot to get and now can't because of the snow). And I won't make it with Parmesan cheese. Cause that's just wrong. lol
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 15:34:27 (permalink)
    Jennie, I've never made egg rolls before but if you post your recipe, I'd love to try them.

My stove has been getting a workout since early this morning. It's traditional in our neighborhood when we get snowed in for us to have a sort of 'open house' with a couple of huge pots of soup on the stove. Neighbors stop in after shoveling, kids after sledding on the hill across the street, and the independent plowers and township roadcrews too.

So I made meatball stew and cabbage and kielbasa soup, one neighbor brought over about 4 doz. homemade whole wheat rolls and corn muffins, and two others brought raspberry cookies and brownies. So we're all set for the weekend - more than 6" of snow so far and expected to continue until tomorrow morning.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 15:37:01 (permalink)
    We're having a birthday party for my husband's 75 yr old grandma, and it's a psuedo Mexican themed menu with tacos, homemade chili, and I'm bringing a rice dish with tomatoes, corn, and spicy cheese. Ole'!
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:00:41 (permalink)
    From Alison Granger's A Taste of the Orient

Xiaren chunjuan
    Spring Rolls with Shrimp (Prawns) and Leek

Prep time 12 minutes (plus standing time)
    Cook time 25 minutes

½ pound fresh peeled shrimps (prawns)
    ¼ pound finely ground pork
    1 beaten egg white
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 finely chopped small leek (white and yellow parts)
    1-2 crushed garlic cloves
    1 tablespoon Chinese dark soy sauce
    1 tablespoon shrimp sauce
    1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
    ½ teaspoon white sugar
    pinch allspice
    2 tablespoons Chinese tomato or barbecue sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    12 small spring roll or wonton wrappers
    1 beaten egg white
    oil for frying

1. Finely chop half of the shrimp, and cut the rest into small pieces. Mix the shrimp with the ground pork.
    2. Stir one egg white into the cornstarch and mix this with the shrimp mixture. Add all remaining ingredients except the wonton wrappers, remaining egg white, oil for frying, and coriander or parsley. Knead them together.
    3. Leave the mixture to stand for 15 minutes in a cool place.
    4. Place the spring roll or wonton wrappers on a worktop or chopping board. Make the shrimp mixture into 12 small rolls of equal size. Place one on each wrapper. Brush the uncovered part of each wrapper with egg white. Roll up the wrappers around the filling and fold tightly, tucking in the ends to enclose the filling securely.
    5. Heat the oil until very hot and fry 3-4 at a time. Turn the rolls occasionally using a skimmer or slotted spoon. Drain the spring rolls on kitchen paper and serve very hot.

There is a diagram of how to assemble the egg rolls in the book. This diagram shows laying the wrapper diamond-wise to you, and putting the filling slightly below the center. It shows folding the two side corners together towards the middle, and then beginning at the bottom corner and rolling it tightly all the way up. However, after searching the net, I’ve found alternate instructions, which say to start with the bottom point, rolling it tightly over the filling, then folding the side points in, and then continuing the roll towards the top. I’m not sure which is better. I may do some of each and see.

In addition, a houseguest of ours (from Georgia, who rarely sees snow, at least in quantity) was just emailed this recipe, which I'll pass on. We're going to try it, as we have cashews on hand.

Candied Curried Cashews

3 cups unsalted cashews
    3 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp coarse salt
    2 tsp curry
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 cup water
    1 tbsp melted butter

On parchment paper-lined or greased rimmed baking sheet, toast cashews in 350F oven for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine spices plus 2 Tbsp of the sugar, set aside.

In saucepan, bring water, remaining brown sugar and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Add cashews, stirring to coat, add spice mixture, simmer until no liquid remains, toss to coat well.

Spread nuts on same baking sheet, roast about 10 minutes until coating is dry and golden.

Sounds so good!
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 420
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:04:58 (permalink)
    Roast Chicken
    Chicken backs in the stock pot, with all the old Veggie's from the fridge,
    Baked potatoes
    Corn Bread
    Rice pudding

8 inches of Lite & Fluffy Snow ... 12 degrees
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:10:34 (permalink)
    Thai chicken curry
    Saffron Rice
    Baby bak choy sauteed with garlic and ginger
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13914
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:26:52 (permalink)
    It is a cold cloudy day in East Tennessee. I needed something for the day that would satisfy the event.

I did a crock pot beef stew with celery, early potatoes, onions, carrots, beef stew spices, garlic. lean beef and spiced flour. I made some garlic bread and it has been in the pot for eight hours.

I have enjoyed a couple of Canadians in the last hour and I am looking forward to the evening treat.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:28:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recipe Jennie - looks awesome! The Candied Curried Cashews alone sound great! Can't wait to try them - just have to wait until I can get to a store! We're almost up to a foot already and it's supposed to continue all night until noon tomorrow. Geez - However, I now have TWO able bodied men in the house - our friend was on his way to work and couldn't even make the trip, so now I have a house guest! Yay! A storm's more fun like that - and we'll trek over to the neighbors and share our dinner - we have alot in common Ruby Rose!!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 16:48:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

its CCOLD here and WINDY--but no snow!!

Oh, jeez, people. Stop whining.

B (near Tucson where it's a sunny, pleasant 67 degrees)
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/22 18:17:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jennie. The recipe looks great. Could I use hoisin sauce for the Chinese tomato sauce?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 00:35:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

its CCOLD here and WINDY--but no snow!!

Oh, jeez, people. Stop whining.

B (near Tucson where it's a sunny, pleasant 67 degrees)

Giving a weather report is NOT whining. It was actually a nice day for a walk even if it was cold.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 09:41:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RubyRose

Thanks, Jennie. The recipe looks great. Could I use hoisin sauce for the Chinese tomato sauce?

Oh, sure. Why not? It isn't really rocket science, I guess. Experiment away! lol

Jennie
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 13:29:18 (permalink)
    Todays menu--well hopefully--we "New Englanders at heart" will be feasting on STEELERS!!!!-------and a few brats!
    Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 14:17:55 (permalink)
    Carnival season is on so it's red beans and rice for me too. Check out the Gumbo Pages for a really good recipe: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

Also, since good fried chicken is rare up north, FRIED EAGLE will have to do!
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 14:27:11 (permalink)
    something to watch football by!!! :)
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Watcha cooking today? 2005/01/23 19:27:32 (permalink)
    Chicken & noodles. I made a big batch of chicken salad a few weeks ago with about 10 roasted skin on bone-in chicken breasts. I removed most of chicken meat from the bones. Then I put the chicken bones & the reserved chicken broth & fat from the roasting pan in the freezer. Today I put the frozen chicken bones in about 6 cups of water,simmered for about 1 hour,strained the liquid, picked out all the chicken meat from the bones. I made a thick chicken gravy from the chicken fat. I cooked frozen Reams egg noodles(the next best thing to homemade noodles)in the frozen broth & today's broth,added the chicken, & gravy,salt & lots of black pepper.

Tastes just like my Mom use to make.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5