Helpful ReplyHot!Weekend in Dallas

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3933
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/17 12:54:24 (permalink)
I have never been to Del Frisco's in Dallas (or anywhere else, for that matter), but your pictures make it look like it is worth considering. My go-to steak place in Dallas is Chamberlain's in Addison. Their bread served with meals are amazing popovers that make the steak prices worth it. I think Mariton would also give them a thumbs-up!

Sadly, I don't think I will have time in my schedule for my trip to make it to Chamberlain's (or maybe even Celebration), as I am only in town for a few hours (with work scheduled in many of those hours), and then I hit the road to Austin. 
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12017
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/17 13:03:00 (permalink)
TTM-
I've heard great things about Chamberlain's from other Dallas Roadfood members also,  so that will definitely be high on the list for future trips.  Too bad you won't have more time in Dallas.  Stupid work, always interfering....
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4736
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/18 08:13:45 (permalink)
The card on the table is a nice touch, don't think I have ever seen that before.

The passing on dessert is troubling, very troubling!  

Let's examine a few facts.  Two of our most famous trip reporters are out in the field.  One is doing a "smoothie smackdown" and passing on coffee cake at Hob Nob and the other is ordering one side and passing on dessert.  I suspect that there may be Russian involvement...is nothing sacred! 

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/18 12:56:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/18 13:43:11
ChiTownDiner
The card on the table is a nice touch, don't think I have ever seen that before.

Let's examine a few facts.  Two of our most famous trip reporters are out in the field.  One is doing a "smoothie smackdown" and passing on coffee cake at Hob Nob and the other is ordering one side and passing on dessert.  I suspect that there may be Russian involvement...is nothing sacred! 

Be careful...or you'll be photographed by your microwave. 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/18 12:58:22 (permalink)
buffetbuster
TTM-
I've heard great things about Chamberlain's from other Dallas Roadfood members also,  so that will definitely be high on the list for future trips.  Too bad you won't have more time in Dallas.  Stupid work, always interfering....

Should you and I ever find ourselves together in Dallas again, it should be on our agenda. I feel like you and I haven't done a steak dinner in some time now. I would give my right arm right now for one of their popovers. 
TallyMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/19 19:36:10 (permalink)
TTM does it again! Always a great report.  In fact, the level of trip reports on these forums beats Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc. Ya'll keep it up!
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10194
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/20 09:51:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/20 10:26:34
ChiTownDiner

buffetbuster,

I haven't had a chance to review the trip report since we just got back yesterday and I'm back at work today.

CTD

You know all too well  neither of use were interested in pineapple coffee cake especially after overloading on carbs at Hob Nob Hill (something which my doctor frowns upon)  besides we have excellent coffee cake here in Rhode Island.
Now for the smoothies, besides completing an assignment for Fexy  , we do NOT have excellent smoothies here in Rhode Island- or any at all for that matter

Signed

"The Ravings of a  madman"
#onepersonandonepersononly

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 08:48:26 (permalink)
Sunday March 11, 2017

Even though we had coupons for free breakfast in the hotel restaurant, we enjoyed a lazy morning.  While I was waiting for Mariton to finish getting ready, curiosity got the best of me and I opened another of the pie jars, this time the blue magic. 

Although I bought them to enjoy with the group, they are suddenly dropping like something out of an Agatha Christie novel.  We didn't leave the hotel until 9:30, which is late for us. 

Our destination was the Sixth Floor Museum,

where Lee Harvey Oswald is blamed with shooting president Kennedy in 1963.  This museum is so close to our hotel, we actually had a clear view of it and Dealey Plaza

from our hotel window. 

It has been a good six or seven years since my last visit and several things have changed, including the entrance, which threw me off.  Even though the parking lot was relatively empty, the lines inside were long.  This is a small interior, trying to handle big crowds, but still we had to stand in four separate lines before we ever went up to the Sixth Floor.  Although I was more patient than usual (which isn't saying much), several in the crowd were grumbling.  Once we took the elevator upstairs, it was wall to wall people.  You do have headphones attached to a wand-like device that gives out plenty of great information, but it was practically impossible to actually see the displays without hand-to-hand combat.  I lead Mariton to focus on the most important parts, including look out of the window that Oswald made the fatal shot.  This was impossible before, since it used to be surrounded by boxes (as it was on that fateful day), so that is an improvement.  Anyway, we did enjoy our time here and Mariton is now of the mind that it couldn't have been Oswald and was all fired up.  Sorry, there is no photography allowed in the museum, including in the gift shop, which struck me as odd.

We also spent sometime outside, including the infamous grassy knoll, but we had taken those photos before on previous trips, so we didn't stick around long.  Besides, there was pie to eat!

Emporium Pie Shop

is on a short list of my favorite pie shops in the country.  I haven't loved everything, but when they are on, they are spectacular.  Because they are located on a busy street in the Bishop Arts District, parking here is usually problematic.  There is a little lot next door, but it says parking only for three businesses and none of them are Emporium Pies.  But, if you go behind the building, they have a small three car lot, which was wide open.  Few things in life make me happier than finding good parking spots.  There is a sign

letting you know who can park there and who can't.  Wait, I'm a little confused.  Is a pie to the face a punishment or a reward?

The interior is small, with only a handful of tables. 

As I walked in, I noticed a man sitting with a group wearing a Clemson shirt, so we complimented him on this choice and said "Go Tigers".  Turns out the entire group were Clemson graduates, so we happily discussed the past season.  By now, Mariton was already up at the counter looking over the pies and made her choice. 

I was sure she would go for Dr. Love, the red velvet pie, but she chose Cloud Nine,

a three level pie with salted caramel, butterscotch, topped by a brown sugar meringue.  I find this pie overly sweet and gloppy texture just doesn't do it for me.  Mariton ate about half of it and then gave up.  My first inclination was the Lord of the Pies, which is a tall stacked apple pie.  But, I've had this at least a half dozen times and it was time to try something new.  The Blue Steel 

looked great and this turned out to be a great choice.  As good as those blueberries tasted, the star here is always that buttery, flaky crust.  We took turns forking this into oblivion.  Mariton enjoyed a coffee with her pie and commented on how strong it was.

Emporium Pies
314 N. Bishop Avenue
Dallas, TX
469-206-6126

We were meeting fellow Roadfooders for lunch at 1:00pm, which gave us another hour to kill.  What should we do during that time?  Eat, of course.  Mariton has particularly enjoyed our visits to Fuel City Tacos in the past, although most of those stops have been late at night when the place is really hopping.  On a Sunday morning, there was much less activity going on.

I went up to the order window

at the taco shop, while Mariton ordered elote from a little cart set up in front. 

We have had this elote

in the past and loved it.  Unfortunately, this time it was so salty than neither one of us could take more than two bites.  The tacos,

one barbacoa and one pastor were much better.  The young lady who took the order recommended the flour tortillas, although neither one of the flour or corn are made in house.  Along with the slightly hot sauce and the lime to give it some zing, this made for a very enjoyable snack.  More heavy duty was the barbacoa burrito,

which was tasty enough that despite the fact that we were meeting friends in a matter of minutes, I couldn't not finish.

Fuel City Tacos
801 S. Riverfront Blvd.
Dallas, TX
214-426-0011

We drove over to Slow Bone arriving at 12:40 and waited for the rest of the Dallas group to arrive.

Much more to come.....

post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/24 08:49:32
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 09:03:58 (permalink)
Pie parking is one of those risk/reward things and I believe I would have ordered the same two! 

At first look, I thought your elote was a Texas Smoothie!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 09:33:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/24 09:40:56
ChiTownDiner

At first look, I thought your elote was a Texas Smoothie!  

Elote's are Texas Smoothies!
Just like French Dips are California Italian Beef Sandwiches
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6698
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 13:13:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/24 14:32:28
The Sixth Floor Museum is a "must see" for anyone who has a vivid memory of 'where they were' 22 November 1963 when the news came; I was 15 and in Martha Thompson's English class.

After absorbing all the contemporary news coverage and the never-ending flood of articles, books, investigations, documentaries, movies, and slo-mo, digitized Zapruder films I never set firmly in my mind what had happened that day until I visited The Sixth Floor Museum a few years ago.

From the physical setting I observed that:
  • Dealy Plaza is much more compact than it appears in pictures and film.
  • Elm St. runs downhill from Houston St. towards the "triple overpass' far more steeply than it appears in pictures and film.

From the 'sniper's nest' I observed that:
  • The two shots that struck the President were at a range of 35 and 87 yards, much closer than I had imagined.  As I have shot many a coffee can off a fence post at a range of 100 yards off-hand with a steel-sighted 30-06, replicating the shots that wounded the President with a scope stabilized by a windowsill would be the proverbial 'piece of cake'.
  • Contrary to the assertion Oliver Stone made in JFK, shooting the President coming down Houston would have been more difficult as one's aim constantly changes as the limo moves toward the shooter.  However, shots down Elm require little aim-change as the vehicle is moving away slowly straight downhill.
  • Further, a shot from the 'grassy knoll', while at closer range, would have been more difficult as it would have involved leading the target.
Was there a shooter in the sixth floor window?  Yes, there are photos and eye-witnesses.
Was Oswald the window shooter?  Probably so. 
Was there a conspiracy?  Who knows?  But there was a lot of smoke not to have had a fire. 

The one ting that visit established in my mind is that it most certainly did not require a 'world champ' - or even a USMC Marksman - to make those shots.  BTW: remember all the doubt being cast that three shots were made in six seconds?  Actually, it was two shots in six seconds; the first shot just started the clock!  Piece 'o cake.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 13:25:53 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
The Sixth Floor Museum is a "must see" for anyone who has a vivid memory of 'where they were' 22 November 1963 when the news came;

I remember where I was- I was waiting to be conceived...
signed...
This middle aged guy.....
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 14:46:45 (permalink)
wanderingjew
MetroplexJim
The Sixth Floor Museum is a "must see" for anyone who has a vivid memory of 'where they were' 22 November 1963 when the news came;

signed...

You actually remember the waiting room? 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 15:13:52 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
MetroplexJim

signed...

You actually remember the waiting room? 

Of course! Don't you?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5708
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 15:46:37 (permalink)
The Emporium Pie Shop bakes the very best pies in Dallas. Period!
TallyMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 18:19:57 (permalink)
I've been to the Sixth Floor museum and looked out the window. Oswald could have hit JFK with a thrown rock at the short range of the first shot. Now back to Big D food...
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 18:37:59 (permalink)
Twinwillow

And in McKinney, too - where parking near their store is both free and abundant!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 18:42:08 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Twinwillow

And in McKinney, too - where parking near their store is both free and abundant!

MetroplexJim
Twinwillow

Jim, I should have mentioned that Emporium Pies opened a store in McKinney. My bad.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/24 19:01:36 (permalink)
Cliff, next time you're in Dallas and crave tacos, you must try El Come Tacos. They're exceptionally good. Their corn tortillas are noticeably not as good as Tacos La Banqueta where I sent you last time you were in Dallas but, their fillings are exceptionally good.
And, the ambiance is definitely more "Gringo friendly". They also serve alcohol.
Their tacos are much, much better than Fuel City Tacos.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-come-taco-dallas

post edited by Twinwillow - 2017/03/24 19:06:26
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 07:48:02 (permalink)
Twinwillow-
Thanks for the tip about El Come Tacos.  I really liked Tacos La Banqueta (I think schlotz did, too), but I would not go back there at night again.  Daytime would be just fine.

Mariton was really pushing for Fuel City Tacos since she enjoyed that elote since she loved the elote on the last visit, so imagine her disappointment throwing it away one or two bites.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 07:50:11 (permalink)
We visited the Deep Ellum location of Empoium Pies last year and did not enjoy it as much as the Bishop Arts location.  Next time we may have to wander all the way up to McKinney, assuming McKinney would allow rabble like us in town.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/25 07:51:19
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 09:04:47 (permalink)
Sorry, but I have run out of time to finish this.  I will post some photos and rely on the rest of the Dallas group to chip in with their comments from Slow Bone.

I do want to mention the bbq at Slow Bone is terrific, especially those big, meaty ribs, which MetroplexJim was kind enough to share.  But, our real reason for a repeat visit was for the fried chicken, which Twinwillow called maybe the best in Dallas.  And after tasting it, we have to agree.  And this is such a good group of people.  We very much look forward to future get togethers.

After Slow Bone, we had another hour to kill before our flight, so we stopped at Highland Park Soda Fountain for a pimento/ham salad sandwich and a cherry ice cream soda.

From there, it was off to the airport and home.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/25 09:06:45
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 09:19:54 (permalink)
My order at Highland Park would be exactly the same!  

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 10:59:58 (permalink)
buffetbuster
We visited the Deep Ellum location of Empoium Pies last year and did not enjoy it as much as the Bishop Arts location.  Next time we may have to wander all the way up to McKinney, assuming McKinney would allow rabble like us in town.

No worries.  McKinney has proven to be very Yinzer-friendly!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 18:51:38 (permalink)
I live very close to Highland Park Pharmacy. The old fashioned sandwiches and shakes, etc are great. The trouble is, even though I've lost a lot of weight, I still have trouble sitting at the counter without the counter edge digging into my belly. People were so much thinner back in the "good old days".
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/25 19:04:31 (permalink)
Reference my above post. I used the name Highland Park Pharmacy. Actually, when Sonny and Gretchen Williams bought the place a few years ago, They changed the name to Highland Park Soda Fountain because, it was no longer a Pharmacy.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/26 13:18:57 (permalink)
re:  Slow Bone

I want again to thank Michael (Twinwillow) for telling us about Slow Bone several years ago.  Even though it's 30 miles from home and through the city, we have enjoyed it several times ourselves and also several times now with the "Pittsburgh/Dallas Roadfood contingent" that we very much enjoyed seeing again a week ago.

Our meals at Slow Bone have been consistently excellent and -  their on-site parking and no long lines aside - we actually like the food there better than the (also excellent) Pecan Lodge.  I usually get the ribs, did this time, and they again were extremely satisfying: crisp peppery bark and delectable smoky piggy; my goodness, I'd even have them for dessert!  My wife's brisket was moist, tender, and full of flavor.  Even the potato salad was exceptional -- something very rare in my Texas experience. 

And the fried chicken leg that Michael gave me was "off the hook": thin, crisp crust surrounded marinated, smoky, wonderfully flavorful moist meat.  In fact, Slow Bone's "take" on this American Classic has proved to be so popular the owners are thinking about opening a fried chicken joint.  If they do, I'll be in line!  Earlier, when Michael told me that they now had the best fried chicken in Dallas I thought he was being a bit hyperbolic.  He wasn't!  Thanks, Michael.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2017/03/26 16:02:15
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/26 15:32:44 (permalink)
Thanks, Jim. Your very kind compliments have me blushing bright red.

Hopefully, You and the lovely Mrs. Metroplex will find the time and inclination to visit Dallas again soon.

I have an incredible, authentic Peking Duck restaurant in Coppell that has them all beat. It's a real "sleeper". Beijing Bros........
https://www.yelp.com/biz/beijing-brothers-coppell
https://beijingbrothersdotcom.wordpress.com/menu/
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1167
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/26 17:45:02 (permalink)
Twinwillow
I have an incredible, authentic Peking Duck restaurant in Coppell that has them all beat. It's a real "sleeper". Beijing Bros........
https://www.yelp.com/biz/beijing-brothers-coppell
https://beijingbrothersdotcom.wordpress.com/menu/

Michael,
Jane is from Beijing and completely agrees. 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/26 19:02:49 (permalink)
Wow! Y'all sure do get around. We should all get together there one night.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5