Helpful ReplyHot!Weekend in Dallas

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 11934
2017/03/13 19:07:13 (permalink)

Weekend in Dallas

We have visited Dallas about a half dozen times in the last two and a half years, so it is about time for a trip report.

Friday, March 10, 2017

We had plans to make several food stops on this night, but our flight was over a hour late arriving at Love Field, so we cut down the list.  Knowing Norma's Café

closes at 8:00pm, we hustled directly there, arriving at 7:25.  There are two rooms full of booths, plus counter seats facing the kitchen, but the best seats in the house are a short row of five comfy booths with the design of the Texas state flag.  Luckily for us, one of those was open and we grabbed it.  This gave us an easy view of the dessert board,

hanging over the counter seats.

As soon as our waiter Trevor came over, I immediately had him update us on the current dessert situation.  No more banana pudding, but we still had our choice between the peach or blackberry cobbler.  Trevor suggested the peach, so that became dessert #1.  On to the pie, he said they were in good shape on all choices.  Even though I have had it many times in the past, I couldn't pass on the chocolate peanut butter pie.  Just a minute later, Trevor dropped off the cobbler

and pie,

telling us that was the last slice of chocolate peanut butter. Woohoo!!!  Ordering dessert first pays off again!

After ordering our meals, Mariton decided the desserts were too tempting to not go ahead and sample, so she dug her fork into the pie first.  And her eyes immediately lit up.  Not only is this some of the tallest meringue around, but it is so light, it evaporates in your mouth.  If you fork through the entire pie vertically, you get a pleasant mix of textures, with the dense pie, airy meringue and the crunchy nuts on top.  What a pleasure this is to eat.

For the peach cobbler, we make a good team.  She prefers the fruit, while I more enjoy the sugary crowned breading, which this cobbler had plenty.  Very good, but it doesn't reach the level of Norma's pies.

Mariton was distracted when her dinner salad,

with raspberry vinaigrette came out, which should have left me alone with the pie.  But the hot dinner rolls

were so good, I put down the fork and tore through the bread instead.  These yeasty rolls are made in house and pull apart with ease.  No butter necessary.  The cornbread was slightly sweet and no match for the rolls.

To drink, she had the sweet tea,

which was only slightly sweet, which is why she enjoyed it so much.  As much as I have a sweet tooth, I like my tea unsweetened.  By the way, the older gentleman in the above photo was dining by himself and is apparently a regular.  Most of the staff said hello as they walked by and when he was leaving, several of the waitresses came over to give him a hug.  Norma's Café is that kind of place.

I have been to Norma's at least a half dozen times over the years, but always for breakfast.  I have tried a few of the dishes, but usually stick to the excellent chicken fried steak.  Now that I am finally here for dinner, I finally get a chance to try....

....the chicken fried steak. 

It's so good, and this was definitely what I was in the mood for, so why not?  While placing my order, Trevor asked if I wanted brown gravy or the white cream gravy.  I knew which one I wanted, but was still curious what he would recommend.  He just smiled and said, "Well, the brown gravy is what Yankees would order...."  White gravy it is.

The CFS was tender enough that it could easily be cut with a fork and the gravy packed a peppery punch.  Good stuff!  For sides, it was macaroni and cheese, turnip greens and green beans.  The mac and cheese was a gloppy mess and the cheese tasted cheap.  The slightly bitter turnip greens were much better.  I heard the green beans were quite good, but I wouldn't know for sure since they were long gone before my fork made my way over to them.

Mariton's dinner was the Texas fried chops,

which was listed on the menu as one of their signature items.  We were expecting these to look like typical pork chops, but they were instead deep fried with a heavy coating and topped with a thick mushroom gravy.  Along with a side of corn, she really enjoyed her meal. 

Now that dinner was out of the way, we both went back to work on finishing the desserts.

Our waiter Trevor was terrific.  He was tall and looked like a slightly younger Morgan Freeman, with the same easy going manner.  You could tell he had been there for many years and took excellent care of us.  He was also working the register and at one point after finishing up with customers who were paying, he spotted Mariton's empty iced tea glass from five booths away.  Instead of walking over, he half ran over and apologized for the delay.  The staff was also wearing t-shirts with funny sayings on the back, with this one

being my favorite.

Dinner at Norma's was a rousing success and I will no longer think of it as just a breakfast place.  The only negative moment came while in line at the register to pay.  The woman in front of me was paying in cash and her bill was $16.04.  She handed the woman at the register a $20.00 and rather than get a bunch of change back, said she would be right back after she ran to the car for .04 cents.  Needless to say, everyone in line started grumbling and even the members of the staff were kind of shocked at this.  I don't know how long she took, because they opened up another register and I was out the door before she came back.

Norma's Cafe
1123 W. Davis Street
Dallas, TX
214-946-4711

We had plans to stop at another restaurant, but Mariton was full.  So we checked into our hotel, the Hyatt Regency at Reunion Tower.  After throwing our luggage into the room, we headed over to the tower to see the view.  If you haven't seen it before, Reunion Towerstands out in the Dallas skyline as it is in the shape of a ball and is always lit up with different colors. 

From the observation deck, we got great views of downtown and the surrounding area.

Much more to come..... 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/15 07:47:20
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4433
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/13 19:28:31 (permalink)
Nuts on your pie? Next thing you'll be doing smackdowns! 

They weren't kidding with Life is Short, Eat Dessert First...although I would have bet on you to get that last slice.  

I wonder if Mariton's gravy was the Yankee choice for CFS? 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5607
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/13 19:32:29 (permalink)
BB, Glad you and Mariton enjoyed Norma's. It's a Dallas institution. But next time you're in Dallas, y'all must try Lucky's Cafe! Same style of food but, even better!
For instance, their creamed corn is cut off the cob first and then creamed!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/luckys-cafe-dallas
post edited by Twinwillow - 2017/03/13 19:36:07
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/13 21:04:15 (permalink)
That's some nice looking CFS! Good choice on the gravy. A place like that almost makes me rethink a trip to Dallas.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/13 23:37:38 (permalink)
I would have to flip a coin between the CFS and the pork chops. Both look incredible.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 08:05:18 (permalink)
Saturday March 11, 2017

When I asked Mariton the night before if she wanted to go for breakfast, I took the "we'll see" reply as a definite no.  Having already eaten at Norma's Café the night before, a new breakfast place was needed.

Kuby's Sausage House

is in Snider Plaza, a nice shopping and dining area north of downtown Dallas.  According to their menu, the business was first started in 1728 in Kaiserslautern, Germany and has been in the same family ever since.  How impressive!  The lighting inside is a little funky, so the photos will look a bit off.

Once through the door, you step into the large butcher shop and grocery store, with the dining room to the right. 

I grabbed a comfortable booth against the far wall.  My iced tea came in a plastic cup

with the image of a German holding a stein of beer, apparently celebrating the killing of the snake in his right hand.  I never knew snakes were a big problem in Germany or Dallas.

Wanting to try as many things as possible, the menu was helpful as they offer half portions of several items.  First up was what they call German toast,

which was a denser, less eggy version of French toast.  The usual order comes four to a plate.

I also got the half order of the potato pancakes,

which could have been crispier on the outside.  Still, the inside was nice and creamy and topped off with sour cream and apple sauce,

made an enjoyable part of the meal.

On to the meats!  Among the available side meats were brats, which come butterflied and grilled. 

You could definite taste the smoky flavor and the grill left a tasty crunchy outside surface.

The best part of breakfast was the entrée Kasseler Rippchen or smoked pork chops. 

Thick cut and also grilled to a crunchy exterior, these were terrific.  The eggs automatically come sunny side up and along with the home fries, were ordinary at best, although I did appreciate that they went ahead and cut up these potatoes in the shape of little pie slices.

While eating, I noticed an older gentleman with a thick German accent walking around the room talking to regulars and giving out small toys to kids.  There was a case of pies and cakes behind the counter, but my waitress said they were not homemade.

Once in the butcher shop, it was amazing to see the impressive selection of sausages,

including metts, which I always think of as a Cincinnati thing.  Looking at the strudel case,

they were out and it was too early for that days to be ready.  Oh well, there will be plenty of other desserts on this day.

On the way out the door, I had a weird encounter with someone holding the door open for me.  When I thanked him, he made an oddly insulting comment.  When I asked him why he would say something so stupid, he backtracked and said he didn't mean anything by it.  I chalked it up to someone trying to be funny and failing miserably.  In my experience, the people of Dallas (and Texas in general) are unfailingly polite and enjoyable to be around. 

Kuby's was good, but not special enough for a return.  No doubt there are better breakfasts out there. 

Kuby's Sausage House
6601 Snider Plaza
Dallas, TX
214-363-2231

At the hotel, I paused to take a photo of the Reunion Tower

through the window next to the elevator bank from the 24th floor.

Back in the room, Mariton was up and ready to go, so off we went for the day.

Much more to come..... 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/14 08:19:04
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 08:09:51 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Nuts on your pie? Next thing you'll be doing smackdowns! 

They weren't kidding with Life is Short, Eat Dessert First...although I would have bet on you to get that last slice.  

I wonder if Mariton's gravy was the Yankee choice for CFS? 

I actually like peanuts, but detest walnuts and pecans.  No, it doesn't make any sense to me neither. 

As for the brown gravy, it automatically came with her pork chops.  She was never asked if wanted something else.  It was actually quite good, but not a good choice for chicken fried steak.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 08:15:03 (permalink)
Twinwillow-
Lucky's looks like our kind of place.  It will be a definite next time we are in town.  Thanks for the tip!

Chickenplucker-
You couldn't have gone wrong with either choice and most likely, anything on the menu.

Root-Beer Man-
Dallas is a great city.  I avoided it for years as driving around the Metroplex seemed intimidating.  It has actually been very easy.  You combine that with all the great food and such nice people, we will continue to return often. 

I hope you do go back.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 09:29:52 (permalink)
Thanks, Cliff. As Jimmy Durante used to say, "I gotta million of them".
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6333
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 11:03:41 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Root-Beer Man-
Dallas is a great city.  I avoided it for years as driving around the Metroplex seemed intimidating.  It has actually been very easy. 

For the most part getting around is very easy - and fast; most of the day even the 'slow lanes' move at 70.  That said, even after living here 12 years we have yet to master the tangle of massive roads in "the canyon" (downtown Dallas), where I-30, I-20, I-45, I-35, Woodall-Rogers Freeway, Central Expressway, the LBJ, and the DNT all meet and mingle.

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11275
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 11:36:28 (permalink)
Very nice!  I'm not looking to another trip to Texas but if I do go again I want to escape the family and go to Kuby's!  I love everything about it so far from your report.

Also everything else in your report. 

I've been to the Plano location of Norma's several times and now that chop is calling me.

Love your reports!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 12:47:57 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
buffetbuster
Root-Beer Man-
Dallas is a great city.  I avoided it for years as driving around the Metroplex seemed intimidating.  It has actually been very easy. 

For the most part getting around is very easy - and fast; most of the day even the 'slow lanes' move at 70.  That said, even after living here 12 years we have yet to master the tangle of massive roads in "the canyon" (downtown Dallas), where I-30, I-20, I-45, I-35, Woodall-Rogers Freeway, Central Expressway, the LBJ, and the DNT all meet and mingle.

Oh, you must be talking about "accident alley".

With reference to the 70mph speed limit, the same roads that have been upped to 70mph were unsafe when 60mph! Just watch out for the cowboys in the big pickup trucks.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2017/03/14 12:50:21
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4433
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 18:01:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/03/24 12:33:10
You've always been a Sausage Fest Lover....were there others besides the brat on the breakfast menu? 

I've not seen any smoothie pictures....still coming up? 

Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/14 18:33:57 (permalink)
buffetbuster
We have visited Dallas about a half dozen times in the last two and a half years, so it is about time for a trip report.

Friday, March 10, 2017

I have to say Cliff that this may be the best food shirt I've ever seen. Fantastic. I might just have to go to Dallas just for the shirt (and for the bbq, of course).
David

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 07:50:01 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
were there others besides the brat on the breakfast menu? 
Only the usuals, like bacon and sausage.  No doubt the regular sausage here would also be very good.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 07:54:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/15 11:34:01
Davidsanders-
I agree that is a terrific t-shirt.  Another one said something like, "Sarcasm provided at no extra charge".  Unfortunately, at my size, hardly any restaurants ever have t-shirts that fit me.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 09:48:51 (permalink)
March 11, 2017 (cont.)

Since we were downtown and had some time to kill, we visited Pioneer Plaza.  This large public park has impressive sculptures of a cattle drive,

including 49 bronze steers and three cowboys.  This is one of my favorite places in Dallas to take photos.

We will be attending a wedding in Tokyo in a few weeks and Mariton is still looking for the right dress.  So we headed for the Galleria, a huge shopping mall in north Dallas.  It is so big, it has a ice skating rink inside,

where young girls were taking figure skating lessons.  I did no shopping at all and sat in some comfortable chairs outside Macy's reading my phone for entertainment.  After almost a hour, Mariton was done.  She did not find what she was looking for and complained about the high prices. 

She still hadn't eaten yet and was quite hungry so we made the short drive over to Celebration Restaurant,

an old Roadfood favorite.  It has been in and out of Roadfood books for over 20 years.  According to my (pitiful, in comparison) spreadsheet, Celebration should open at 11:00AM.  When we walked to the front door, two women were lamenting that Saturday is the one day they don't open until 11:30.  We walked back to the car and decided to wait.  By 11:20, the small parking was filling up and we got out and headed for the door.  By this time, they were seating people and we were quickly lead to one of the smaller dining rooms to the left.  This room

had six booths, packed tightly together and with a low roof, it can get noisy in here.  The tables are also covered in bronze.

First thing out was a wonderful bread basket,

starring homemade jalapeno cornbread and a blueberry muffin.  This disappeared quickly with little help from me.

For entrees, Mariton went with walnut crusted chicken.  

This had a thick, nutty coating and the chicken itself was as tender as can be.  The sauce you see on top is honey Dijon.  When discussing food, Mariton often mentions she likes the way it feels in her mouth and I think we can all relate to which foods have a nice mouth feel and which ones don't.  Even though I am adamantly anti-nut, I had to admit this was a fantastic dish.  Her sides were a roasted butternut squash, which came in one large chunk and uninteresting new potatoes.  Her third side was a field green and red Anjou pear salad,

with bleu cheese, candied walnuts and a lemon garlic vinaigrette dressing.  She loved it and as a pear and bleu cheese lover, I was happy to help out. 

Unfortunately, me entrée was much less successful.  The chicken and dumplings

were more of a soup and they never did quite cool off.  There was also very little chicken in it.  I would not order this again.  My side  dish was fresh steamed red swiss chard greens,

which the waitress described as similar to spinach.  These were good on their own, but they brought some sport peppers

to jazz it up with and this took it to another level.

Somehow, we managed to save room for dessert!  Actually two desserts!  Still stinging from not getting banana pudding the night before, that was an easy choice.  This was an odd version,

since all the ingredients were broken down into individual separate parts.  You got your whipped topping, fresh banana slices, banana custard and vanilla wafers.  So it was up to us to decide which parts we wanted to eat with each bite.  Mariton went straight for the vanilla wafers and whipped cream, with the custard being my highlight.

Second dessert was a surprisingly small slice of coconut cream pie. 

I don't think I have ever seen a pie with so much toasted coconut and the thick graham cracker crust was nothing short of spectacular.

We very much enjoyed Celebration, with only the chicken and dumplings being a dud.

Celebration Restaurant
4503 W. Lovers Lane
Dallas, TX
214-351-5681

We did some more dress shopping, this time at a Nordstrom's Rack.  And when I say we went dress shopping, that means she was in the store and I sat in the car.  Another unsuccessful mission, she decided to just look once we returned home instead.

Off we went to visit some museums that had been on my list for a while.

Much more to come..... 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/15 11:34:54
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 10:08:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/15 11:36:52
buffetbuster
ChiTownDiner
were there others besides the brat on the breakfast menu? 
Only the usuals, like bacon and sausage.  No doubt the regular sausage here would also be very good.

I lunch at Kuby's fairly often. My favorite is the white veal sausage with red cabbage and mashed potatoes with gravy. And of course, spicy, brown German mustard.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 10:26:52 (permalink)
Twinwillow-
Yes!  I forgot to mention the spicy mustard on the table.  The perfect complement for the brat.

mar52-
Thank you so much for the nice words.  Coming from you, that is greatly appreciated.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/15 10:28:24
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6333
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 11:14:09 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Celebration Restaurant, 4503 W. Lovers Lane, Dallas, TX

had six booths, packed tightly together and with a low roof, it can get noisy in here.  The tables are also covered in bronze.

Yep, that's the room I told you and Mariton about; in fact, we had the booth where the guy in the blue shirt is sitting.  A decade ago it was the scene of one of our many "memorable" dining experiences here in the land of the loud-talkers and squealing tykes.  On our one trip to Celebration we were trapped in that room with a mother who was so proud of her child's ability to shriek that she actively encouraged it.  We staggered out with tinnitus and upset stomachs; even though the food was good, we never went back.

-------------

For the 'real Dallas shopping experience' you have to go to NorthPark (The Central @ Park Lane & Northwest Hwy.).  Not only is it larger than The Galleria, it has a breath-taking variety of the finer retailers - including a Tesla Store! 

Its original mid-20th. Century architecture has been maintained through its many expansions and for that reason alone it's an interesting destination.  In addition, as it was founded by the Nasher Family (noted patrons of the Dallas Arts District) it also features a fascinating variety of art and sculpture.

And, it's near Kuby's. 
I can't believe I hadn't told you about Kuby's. 
I'm glad you found it! 

mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 12:38:31 (permalink)
Cliff,  no.. thank you!

I like the idea of the do it yourself banana cream pie.  The bananas will always be fresh and not dark that way.

Aren't those bronze steers fabulous?  They can be found in several spots around Texas. 

I first came in contact (realizing that there was no way I could get on top of one because of the size) in Waco where they marched the real steers over the Brazos.  VERY Impressive!  They were also hot from the summer, Texas sun.

I really thought before getting up next to them that I'd found the perfect spot for my very first Christmas card photo.  Yee Haw!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 13:50:02 (permalink)
Saturday March 11, 2016 (cont.)

We've been to Dallas enough times now that we are running out of tourist attractions to see for the first time.  But, we have never visited the museums in the Dallas Arts Section of downtown.  First up is the Nasher Sculpture Center.  I particularly enjoy sculpture gardens because they are often outside and they photograph so well. 

At this museum, they have pieces both inside and out.  Here are some photos:

On that last one, you can only see the human figure if you look from the one angle. 

Can you guess which one of these is not like the others?

At one point, Mariton asked which piece was my favorite.  D'uh, of course, it's this one.

Here I am secretly wishing there was a giant slice of pie nearby!

Even the water fountains are arranged in an interesting design.

I was trying to convince her that this

was one of the exhibits, but sometimes stacks of chairs are just stacks of chairs.

Right across the street is the Crow Collection of Asian Art

Despite the place being beautifully built with lots of dark wood, the museum itself is free.  Some photos from this tastefully done museum:

In took us about two hours to tour both museums, which we thoroughly enjoyed.  The main art museum of Dallas will have to wait for another trip, as it was time for a snack.

While doing research, I was surprised to come across a place called Kessler Pie Company.  We had trouble finding it, as the GPS kept directing us to a residential neighborhood.  Soon, my "pie sense" started tingling and we quickly found this small storefront

on North Tyler Street in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas.

Walking inside, there was one woman sitting with her laptop at the only table.  She greeted us, picked up her laptop and walked into the backroom.  A younger woman came out and asked if she could help us.  By now, I had remembered that Kessler Pie specializes in pie in a jar.  What a great idea!  With the sealtight lid, you can keep them fresher, they are easier to carry around, what's not to like?

This young lady is Deborah

and she is one of the three owners, along with her mother, whom we just met and her sister. She explained the concept to us and needless to say, I had plenty of questions for her.  Along the left wall is the different pie choices

and you can buy them in large or small jars. 

And they all have names that hint and what's inside, but not too specific.  Coco moco is coconut, blue magic is blueberry, suit and tie is chocolate, etc.  One had the unusual name of White Grandma.  Deborah explained that she is Hispanic and her husband is Caucasian, so her kids refer to one of their grandparents as white grandma, which I found very funny.  By the way, white grandma is cherry cream cheese pie.

I chose four small jars and one big jar to eat there.  Mellow Yellow

is their banana cream pie and it tasted like exemplary banana pudding.  The only complaint is that down at the bottom where only crust was left, it was a little dry.

After tasting how good these were, I grabbed another small jar, this of the coconut and added it to my stash.  She pointed out that I now had one of each of their available flavors except for the American Pie (apple), which she threw in for free.  Much appreciated!  The six little jars were packed into a cardboard carrying case and I noticed that there was a sticker on the side that said open since 1944. 

This was confusing, since Deborah earlier told me they have only been open since November.  The reason for this is that the recipes all come from her mother and she was born in 1944.  That's sweet.

One other great thing about this place is the interesting art all over the walls, with different of pie sayings.

Kessler Pie Company
418 N. Tyler Street
Dallas, TX
214-842-2171

The idea behind so many jars was to share them with the group when we met for lunch the next day.  Let's see how many of these actually survive until 1:00pm Sunday.

It was back to the hotel to relax before our big dinner out.

Much more to come.....     
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/15 13:59:58
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3930
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 14:19:05 (permalink)
I just scored a work trip to Dallas, so I may try to his Kessler's, but Celebration is always one of my stops. Sorry to hear the mixed review, but I have always liked the place and even did dinner there one time with twinwillow
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 14:28:39 (permalink)

TTM-
I am starting to realize that chicken and dumplings are like chicken parm for me.  I enjoy the idealized version, but more times than not, I am disappointed.  In other words, I should have known better. 

BTW, my last visit to Celebration was with you on Easter a few years ago.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 14:34:29 (permalink)
White Grandma!  

Love the headless statues and stacks of chairs.

What's with the glass jars?  I've seen them used in several places lately.  The last one was pints of ice cream which turned out to be an awful use of them.  Try using a metal scoop to get frozen, rock hard ice cream out of the narrow opening of a frozen GLASS jar!  Pretty on the glass shelves of the freezer but quite impractical!

That human, voodoo statue is painful but I love it.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 14:53:14 (permalink)
mar52
White Grandma!  

Love the headless statues and stacks of chairs.

What's with the glass jars?  I've seen them used in several places lately.  The last one was pints of ice cream which turned out to be an awful use of them.  Try using a metal scoop to get frozen, rock hard ice cream out of the narrow opening of a frozen GLASS jar!  Pretty on the glass shelves of the freezer but quite impractical!

That human, voodoo statue is painful but I love it.

I think we were all made aware of desserts and ice creams in a glass jar by Kevin O'Leary ("Mr. Wonderful") on Shark Tank when he invested in a company that offered their wares as such.

The hard ice cream problem can easily be remedied by 15 seconds in the microwave.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 15:08:16 (permalink)
The hard ice cream problem can easily be remedied by 15 seconds in the microwave.

I do that with the paper cartons but the glass scares me.  I wouldn't want to lose any ice cream to an explosion!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/15 15:14:24 (permalink)
mar52

I do that with the paper cartons but the glass scares me.  I wouldn't want to lose any ice cream to an explosion!

Just be sure to remove the lid. I always microwave frozen rock hard containers of ice cream for about 8-10 seconds to soften them for serving.
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/16 16:21:42 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Davidsanders-
I agree that is a terrific t-shirt.  Another one said something like, "Sarcasm provided at no extra charge".  Unfortunately, at my size, hardly any restaurants ever have t-shirts that fit me.

I ate at a favorite Pakistani restaurant a couple months ago and my server was wearing a shirt that said "Everybody Stay Calm And Eat More Goat Curry". I thought that was amusing.
I'm really enjoying this trip report. Dallas is a city I have never explored, despite living only three hours' drive away. I hope to someday remedy that.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Weekend in Dallas 2017/03/17 09:34:39 (permalink)
Saturday March 11, 2017 (cont.)

We had our first date on March 11, 2009, so this was our 8th anniversary.  I made reservations at Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House for 9:00pm, which would allow us time to relax at the hotel (of course, I napped) before going out for a big dinner.  While at Celebration, Del Frisco's called to confirm the reservation, only they had 8:00pm listed.  They offered to change it to nine, but after thinking for a few seconds, decided eight would work just as well.

A few years ago, I ate at Dallas' Del Frisco's immediately after landing at Love Field.  It was approximately a 15 minute ride due north of the airport.  Imagine my surprise when I put it in the GPS from our downtown hotel room and it said it was only seven minutes away.  Going online, we discovered that the previous location had closed, replaced by a new downtown location. 

Seeing it was so close by and not wanting to deal with city parking, we decided to cab it over.

Arriving at 7:35, they asked us to cool our jets in the bar until our table was ready.  The bartender gave us a funny look when our drink order was a Sprite and an iced tea.  Mariton is also not really a drinker, although she might have one or two beers a month just to be social.  Most of the people in the bar were also dining and the steaks at the diners near us looked tremendous.  The onion rings were some of the widest hoops we had ever seen and took up an entire dinner plate.  Even though they looked great, we didn't come here to eat onion rings.

The bar itself was impressive with this for a chandelier

and I liked this saying hanging overhead. 

Notice it doesn't say anything about fearing any women.

Right at 8:00, the hostess came over and led us up the stairs to our table.  Now steak houses are notorious for being dark and Del Frisco's is no exception, but somehow we managed to get a table where multiple overhead lights met.  It almost looked like we in a spotlight.  Our waiter Michael made a joke about us being the center of attention.  While I don't need the extra attention, the light will come in handy for getting better photos.

On the table was a card

signed by the staff congratulating us on the occasion, which was a nice touch.  First thing out from the kitchen was an entire loaf of soft, still warm bread. 

In a switch from the usual, I ate several pieces, while Mariton passed, explaining she didn't want to fill up early.  Good idea.

First out were our individual appetizers, oysters on the half shell for her,

lobster bisque for me. 

The bisque was luxuriously rich, with more lobster chunks than usual.  I really enjoyed this.  As for the oysters, they looked on the small side, but she didn't complain, so it must have been satisfactory.

One of our favorite things in restaurants are iceberg wedge salads.  Not the most sophisticated dish in the world, but we both love bleu cheese dressing.  Our wedge salads

came cut in half which was convenient.  This was fantastic!  The dressing was of the highest quality and unlike most restaurants, they give you plenty of it.  That is also use Nueske's bacon and it doesn't get any better than that.  This was the single best thing I ate over the weekend in Dallas.

We both ordered the 12oz. filets. 

It did have a nice seasoning on the inside and I was very happy that it had the right amount of pink.  Mariton went for her steak medium rare, Oscar-style,

with crab meat, asparagus (her favorite food) and hollandaise sauce.  We were talking about the fact that she likes the soft, pink inside meat, while I prefer to have some crusty, salty exterior with each bite.  Of course I have had better steaks, but these were still excellent and we both finished ours easily.  As a side, Mariton chose the lobster macaroni and cheese,

heavy on the bread crumbs.  Normally, we have to take the side home with us, but we polished this off with no trouble, also.  I don't think I have ever been to an upscale steak house and not have leftovers before.

Michael was an excellent waiter and also fine photo taker.  Earlier, we had asked a young hostess walking by if she would take a couple photos.  She was happy to do it, but also completely cut our heads off in every photo.  Michael did much better.

Some might ask why I would choose Del Frisco's when there are undoubtedly better steak houses in town, including non-chains.  The answer is because I knew Mariton would love this place and that's all that truly mattered.

We passed on dessert and the valet outside grabbed a cab for us.  We were back in the room right at 10:00. 

Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse
2323 Olive Street
Dallas, TX
972-490-9000

Although we passed on dessert in the restaurant, knowing their was jar pie in the room was too tempting, so suit and tie (chocolate cream) pie got opened. 

It was delicious and a fine conclusion to an excellent day of food.

Much more to come....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/03/17 09:54:15
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5