Helpful ReplyHot!“Weird “ Foods

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5658
2018/08/23 08:57:09 (permalink)

“Weird “ Foods

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/farrahpenn/heres-the-weirdest-food-every-state-is-known-for-according

I’m not sure what to make of this.
The overwhelming majority of foods on this list seem to be the very essence of Roadfood.
Are we all weird or is Buzzfeed all wet?
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/08/23 09:03:07
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1072
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 09:39:05 (permalink)
Anything is weird if you haven't seen it before, and if it's a regional specialty, then of course you haven't seen it unless (1) you're from there (2) you've traveled there and made an effort to see the local fare (3) you're a food nerd that's at least seen this stuff online.  So I understand where they're coming from.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11856
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 13:43:13 (permalink)
Burritos with fries inside? Ive never seen this.
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1484
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 13:55:53 (permalink)
Nothing too outlandish in that list. Shoot, many of those are, (as mentionedbbqboy) quite common to Roadfooders.
mar, I've never seen a burrito with fries, either. But, when I lived in Israel it was quite common to find fries presented in a pita. It's a really good presentation and much better than a paper sack or what have you.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9583
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 14:19:28 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Nothing too outlandish in that list. Shoot, many of those are, (as mentionedbbqboy) quite common to Roadfooders.
mar, I've never seen a burrito with fries, either. But, when I lived in Israel it was quite common to find fries presented in a pita. It's a really good presentation and much better than a paper sack or what have you.

Sounds about right
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6310
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 15:21:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/08/23 21:52:10
Just some initial thoughts as I scroll through the list; most of them should tell you just how much credence this article deserves.

1. The bottle of Alabama white BBQ Sauce pictured is made at a restaurant called Lilli's Q, here in Chicago.

2. How the heck is a Sonoran Hot Dog weird?  Virtually every region of the country has their own unique iteration of a Hot Dog.  Why is stuffing it in a roll and covering it in pinto beans, mustard, tomatoes, crema, and jalapeno salsa any weirder than covering it in mustard, relish, onions, tomato, pickle, sport peppers, and celery salt?  Or worse yet, pulling the dog from a bin of dirty water where it's been siting all day, then dousing it in brown mustard, onion sauce, and kraut.  Or plopping a big scoop of slaw on top.  I want 'em all.  Now.

3. Clam Pizza is a perfect product of the available foodstuffs in Connecticut.  Weird?  Maybe in the middle of Nebraska, but not in New Haven.

4. An "Ice Cream Potato" that actually was a potato covered in ice cream would in fact be weird.  Ice cream made to look like a baked potato, invented in the state best known for its "Famous Potatoes" isn't weird, it's ingenious and cool and probably delicious and really fun to eat.

5. Indiana's Roast Beef Manhattan, according to the article, "It's a roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes, both of which are completely COVERED in brown gravy and sugar cream pie."  Bull****!  Not a single listing for this dish includes sugar cream pie.  It is just an open faced sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy.  Weird indeed.

6. Apparently no explanation is needed as to why Boudin Sausage is weird.  Or maybe they just couldn't come up with one and needed to fill in Louisiana's space with something.

7. There is NOTHING weird about Massachusetts Fluffernutters, and I'll stab in the heart anyone who says otherwise!  Mississippi Banana sandwiches OTOH...

8. Okay, Maryland Muskrat might be the first legitimate entry on the list.

9. Maine's Needham candies (Chocolate covered coconut using mashed potatoes as a binder) might be the second legit entry, but I'm not conceding anything until I've actually tried one (more likely than muskrat).

10. Quoted from the article: Minnesota: Grape salad..."It's grapes, walnuts, and sour cream. Gag."  Not a bad idea, but only if I get to do the gagging.  Of the writer, I mean.  This sounds like a delicious variation on the beginnings of a really good Waldorf Salad.

11. Cider doughnuts?!?  Weird?!?  I'm starting to wonder if picking apart this article was a smart thing.  I'm just getting more and more worked up, and I've still got things to do today.  By the time I get to Wyoming I'll be a raving lunatic and totally useless.

12. I'm so fed up right now I'll even defend Lutefisk as a non-weird food.  Buzzfeed, how dare you call cold fish jello weird.  It's an outrage!  And why did they associate it with North Dakota instead of Minnesota?

13. Deep Fried Squid in Nevada might be a little weird.  Unless it is regionally appropriate Desert Squid, harvested fresh from its spawning grounds, deep below the waving sands of the Mojave.

14. Things must be really dull in Oregon if Blue Star Donuts are declared weird because "They have interesting toppings."  Interesting isn't weird, it's...interesting, dammit.

15. Hot Dr. Pepper with Lemon is in fact kinda weird.  But is that really the "weirdest" thing you could find in the state of Texas?  It's a big state, home to many different cultures and customs.  There's gotta be something weirder than a glass of soda pop with a squirt of lemon.  The only weird thing about this drink is the fact that it's served hot.  Ooh, sounds scary and exotic.

16. Finally, nearly all the way at the end, in Washington, we find the first listing that qualifies as genuinely weird.  Geoducks.  Go ahead, tell me that ain't a freaky looking critter, I dare you.  They might taste great, but it'll still take multiple doses of gin before I'll put one of those in my mouth.  In fact, I'll eat a foot long Lutefisk Hoagie, smothered in Muskrat and Alabama White BBQ Sauce before I take my first bite of a Geoduck.

The bottom line here is that Buzzfeed needs to hire some writers who have actually been out in the world and not just explored it from their laptops.  Shame on Farrah Penn (the author) for thinking this was a worthwhile topic.  Even more shame for "shortcutting" it, instead of doing any actual research.  Best wishes to her in a new career.

Buddy
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 15:27:44 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Just some initial thoughts as I scroll through the list; most of them should tell you just how much credence this article deserves.

1. The bottle of Alabama white BBQ Sauce pictured is made at a restaurant called Lilli's Q, here in Chicago.

2. How the heck is a Sonoran Hot Dog weird?  Virtually every region of the country has their own unique iteration of a Hot Dog.  Why is stuffing it in a roll and covering it in pinto beans, mustard, tomatoes, crema, and jalapeno salsa any weirder than covering it in mustard, relish, onions, tomato, pickle, sport peppers, and celery salt?  Or worse yet, pulling the dog from a bin of dirty water where it's been siting all day, then dousing it in brown mustard, onion sauce, and kraut.  Or plopping a big scoop of slaw on top.  I want 'em all.  Now.

3. Clam Pizza is a perfect product of the available foodstuffs in Connecticut.  Weird?  Maybe in the middle of Nebraska, but not in New Haven.

4. An "Ice Cream Potato" that actually was a potato covered in ice cream would in fact be weird.  Ice cream made to look like a baked potato, invented in the state best known for its "Famous Potatoes" isn't weird, it's ingenious and cool and probably delicious and really fun to eat.

5. Indiana's Roast Beef Manhattan, according to the article, "It's a roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes, both of which are completely COVERED in brown gravy and sugar cream pie."  Bull****!  Not a single listing for this dish includes sugar cream pie.  It is just an open faced sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy.  Weird indeed.

6. Apparently no explanation is needed as to why Boudin Sausage is weird.  Or maybe they just couldn't come up with one and needed to fill in Louisiana's space with something.

7. There is NOTHING weird about Massachusetts Fluffernutters, and I'll stab in the heart anyone who says otherwise!  Mississippi Banana sandwiches OTOH...

8. Okay, Maryland Muskrat might be the first legitimate entry on the list.

9. Maine's Needham candies (Chocolate covered coconut using mashed potatoes as a binder) might be the second legit entry, but I'm not conceding anything until I've actually tried one (more likely than muskrat).

10. Quoted from the article: Minnesota: Grape salad..."It's grapes, walnuts, and sour cream. Gag."  Not a bad idea, but only if I get to do the gagging.  Of the writer, I mean.  This sounds like a delicious variation on the beginnings of a really good Waldorf Salad.

11. Cider doughnuts?!?  Weird?!?  I'm starting to wonder if picking apart this article was a smart thing.  I'm just getting more and more worked up, and I've still got things to do today.  By the time I get to Wyoming I'll be a raving lunatic and totally useless.

12. I'm so fed up right now I'll even defend Lutefisk as a non-weird food.  Buzzfeed, how dare you call cold fish jello weird.  It's an outrage!  And why did they associate it with North Dakota instead of Minnesota?

13. Deep Fried Squid in Nevada might be a little weird.  Unless it is regionally appropriate Desert Squid, harvested fresh from its spawning grounds, deep below the waving sands of the Mojave.

14. Things must be really dull in Oregon if Blue Star Donuts are declared weird because "They have interesting toppings."  Interesting isn't weird, it's...interesting, dammit.

15. Hot Dr. Pepper with Lemon is in fact kinda weird.  But is that really the "weirdest" thing you could find in the state of Texas?  It's a big state, home to many different cultures and customs.  There's gotta be something weirder than a glass of soda pop with a squirt of lemon.  The only weird thing about this drink is the fact that it's served hot.  Ooh, sounds scary and exotic.

16. Finally, nearly all the way at the end, in Washington, we find the first listing that qualifies as genuinely weird.  Geoducks.  Go ahead, tell me that ain't a freaky looking critter, I dare you.  They might taste great, but it'll still take multiple doses of gin before I'll put one of those in my mouth.  In fact, I'll eat a foot long Lutefisk Hoagie, smothered in Muskrat and Alabama White BBQ Sauce before I take my first bite of a Geoduck.

The bottom line here is that Buzzfeed needs to hire some writers who have actually been out in the world and not just explored it from their laptops.  Shame on Farrah Penn (the author) for thinking this was a worthwhile topic.  Even more shame for "shortcutting" it, instead of doing any actual research.  Best wishes to her in a new career.

Buddy

So true Buddy. Most of these aren't weird, but very popular regional items. Hell, I agree:The Grape salad sounds delicious. It looks like to make a decent size list for the article,they threw in a lot of perfectly normal regional dishes!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 15:39:05 (permalink)
The one that got me was Ham Biscuits in Virginia.  There is no possible way that could ever be considered weird.  
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 347
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 15:42:49 (permalink)
From the first line of the article...

We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the weirdest food their state is known for. Here are all the strange suggestions.

This article is a compilation of what their readers consider 'weird food', not necessarily what the author herself might consider as 'weird'.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:06:29 (permalink)
Fair enough.  But somebody at Buzzfeed, presumably the writer, still needed to sort through the entries and determine "The Weirdest Food" for each state.  If this is what they came up with, at some point, either the writer or an editor should have axed the project as an unworthy exercise.

The flip side is that the legitimacy of the article may have never been a consideration.  After all, the name of the website is BUZZfeed, and here we are, for better or worse...

Buddy
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:14:27 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Fair enough.  But somebody at Buzzfeed, presumably the writer, still needed to sort through the entries and determine "The Weirdest Food" for each state.  If this is what they came up with, at some point, either the writer or an editor should have axed the project as an unworthy exercise.

The flip side is that the legitimacy of the article may have never been a consideration.  After all, the name of the website is BUZZfeed, and here we are, for better or worse...

Buddy

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1484
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:20:38 (permalink)
Buddy, you really have to try a Banana sandwich. I grew up eating these, (in Mississippi) and they are pretty good. Slices (lengthwise and halved) of banana on white bread with mayo. Man! That takes me back. Nothing weird about this one, if you're from the region, (mostly a Gulf Coast thing up to central MS).
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:26:26 (permalink)
I have to leave the room whenever my wife eats Peanut Butter & Banana sandwiches with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top.  Swapping mayonnaise for the PB does not make your case.  I'm not arguing its legitimacy, only its appeal to me personally.

Buddy
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7066
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:26:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2018/08/23 16:37:46
mar52
Burritos with fries inside? Ive never seen this.

Created by immigrants from Pittsburgh?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7066
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 16:42:49 (permalink)
Ghaz
From the first line of the article...

We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the weirdest food their state is known for. Here are all the strange suggestions.

This article is a compilation of what their readers consider 'weird food', not necessarily what the author herself might consider as 'weird'.

Let's not forget that Buzzfeed and its readership also thinks the Electoral College is 'weird'.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4956
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 17:32:17 (permalink)
The grape salad I make regularly is very similar, except mine also has cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Not weird at all... fabulous!

Also... am I the only one extremely bothered by their erroneous alphabetization?
post edited by felix4067 - 2018/08/23 17:51:26
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2435
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 17:38:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Root-Beer Man 2018/08/23 17:42:30
Root-Beer Man
Buddy, you really have to try a Banana sandwich. I grew up eating these, (in Mississippi) and they are pretty good. Slices (lengthwise and halved) of banana on white bread with mayo. Man! That takes me back. Nothing weird about this one, if you're from the region, (mostly a Gulf Coast thing up to central MS).

These were also quit favored in South Georgia too.    ... Still are! ....
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 18:23:42 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

If your editor tells you to write an article on the 'weird food' a state is known for based on replies from your community, then that's what you do.  If the weirdest thing the community can come up with is ham biscuits, then that's the community needing to expand their culinary experiences.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 18:31:30 (permalink)
Ghaz
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

If your editor tells you to write an article on the 'weird food' a state is known for based on replies from your community, then that's what you do.  If the weirdest thing the community can come up with is ham biscuits, then that's the community needing to expand their culinary experiences.

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5507
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 21:53:08 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Buddy,

Thank you for taking one for the team.

Jim
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11856
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/23 23:05:26 (permalink)
Buddy, you made my day! I’d like a #2, please. They’re not weird, they’re wonderful.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/24 13:18:46 (permalink)
I thought Maine would be Pickled Wrinkles or Strip Fish.
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1476
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 12:06:03 (permalink)
PA S.O.S. weird?
NJ Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll weird?

I grew up in Philly and now live in South Jersey.  I find both very commonplace. 
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 12:08:42 (permalink)
ChrisOC
PA S.O.S. weird?

I grew up in Philly and now live in South Jersey.  I find both very commonplace. 

So true. Pork roll is spreading around the country. I've bought it in California. Hopefully some day soon it will leave such a list!

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5507
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 12:16:47 (permalink)
leethebard
ChrisOC
PA S.O.S. weird?

So true. Pork roll is spreading around the country. I've bought it in California. Hopefully some day soon it will leave such a list!

I have never had either, but both seem perfectly normal to me.

Wisconsin on the other hand had Venison Hot Sticks. I have never seen these sold anywhere, but what is weird about a deer-based Slim-Jim? I think these are usually prepared for hunters using the venison they harvested during hunting season.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 12:42:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/08/25 14:21:25
Yes, besides "weird" is, I think, in the eye of the beholder. One's person's weird is often a staple for someone else!!
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 13:21:20 (permalink)
leethebard
ChrisOC
PA S.O.S. weird?

I wish Taylor Ham was available here in WI...I have to order it online...oh well.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 14:49:15 (permalink)
leethebard
Yes, besides "weird" is, I think, in the eye of the beholder. One's person's weird is often a staple for someone else!!

Yep.  In Cincinnati scrapple might be considered 'weird' by some but the same people would see goetta as perfectly normal.
post edited by Ghaz - 2018/08/25 14:50:20
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5658
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 17:54:34 (permalink)
Ghaz
leethebard

Yep.  In Cincinnati scrapple might be considered 'weird' by some but the same people would see goetta as perfectly normal.

But Cincinnati chili IS weird. Goetta admit!
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
Re: “Weird “ Foods 2018/08/25 19:45:16 (permalink)
Hmm.  Cincinnati chili made with goetta?  Now that would be weird... 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5