Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas

Author
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
2019/09/16 16:28:56 (permalink)

Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas

No, it's not Austin, it's ....... BROWNSVILLE!!!!

https://texashighways.com/culture/eat-your-way-through-the-taco-capital-of-texas-at-these-7-taquerias/

The author, Jose Ralat of Dallas, has just been named the Taco Editor of Texas Monthly, a first in the nation.  I'm really looking forward to his columns.  

And I've got to have some of that barbacoa from Vera's.

6 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9288
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/16 17:30:21 (permalink)
    Seven taco places that are similar yet different...they'd make for a great Brownsville Taco Crawl!
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2740
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/17 12:41:12 (permalink)
    I read the headline and thought "They better say Brownsville" and yes, Vera's is worth the hype but they're one of the few places in the city that do not make their own tortillas. But their Dragon's Blood hot sauce more than makes up for it.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12604
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/18 08:44:15 (permalink)
    In the early 1960's, my paternal grandfather, a heavy smoker, was diagnosed with emphysema.  The doctors told him if we wanted to extend his life he had to move to a dry, arid climate, so they moved to Harlingen.  We visited the area multiple times, but he died in 1967 when I was five.  I haven't been back since.

I have only vague memories of the house and what the yard looked like, although seeing tarantulas made the biggest impression. For some reason, I have had a strong desire to revisit the area to see the house, which we know is still standing.  In January, M and I will be spending several days in the Rio Grande Valley, so this list will really come in handy.

If anyone else has suggestions for Harlingen-Brownsville-McAllen, they would be greatly appreciated. 
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2740
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/18 16:06:09 (permalink)
    I love Harlingen, and the Tex Mex and Mex Mex scene in that zone is impossible to beat. I'll go through some old notes and see if I can recall what places we ate at on our last visit. A friend of mine's parents retired there as the cost of living is dirt cheap and the winter's are mild on them old bones.
    BayouCityNosh
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/18 19:01:24 (permalink)
    I will look forward to what SC has to say.  I've only been that far south once, way back in the early 90s.  I wasn't a foodie or roadfooder then -- I probably got my guidance from AAA tour books and the ads in the local yellow pages!  I spent time in Laredo, the Harlingen/McAllen area (can't even remember for sure which town my motel was in), and South Padre, with a quick pass through the outskirts of Brownsville.

But I enjoyed the trip a lot.  I went out through San Antonio, to Castroville, Uvalde, Crystal City (I missed the statue of Popeye),Carrizo Springs, and on down.  I loved the vastness of SW Texas and, yes, the desolation and emptiness.  I wish I had a ranchito out there to get away to!

But I've wanted to go back for more, especially after reading some of these articles.  I'm very limited right now, not as house-bound as I was a few months back, but no way I could travel that far.  Hopefully in the future.

Here's one article I've bookmarked on South Texas you may find intriguing.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/ode-to-the-raspa-my-south-texas-childhood-served-in-a-silo-cup/

This long article from Eater about Tex-Mex mentions a couple of South Texas places, Mrs. G's and El Rodeo Taco Express, both in McAllen, which look Roadfood worthy to me.

https://www.eater.com/2018/3/7/17081968/best-food-texas-tex-mex-barbecue

There are pics of a pirata taco and the free chips and salsa bar at a Taco Palenque, a Laredo based counter service chain you may come across in the small towns down there but the author doesn't discuss the chain.  There's one here in Houston, near Hobby Airport.  It's a darn sight better than Taco Bell, Del Taco or Taco Cabana, IMO.
    post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2019/09/18 19:06:47
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12604
    Re: Welcome to the Taco Capital of Texas 2019/09/19 10:03:23 (permalink)
    Thanks so much scrumptiouschef and BayouCityNosh!

Maybe I should start a separate thread so it could be found easier in the future.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5