Western Kentucky

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 631
2015/03/26 13:58:35 (permalink)

Western Kentucky

Circumstances may require me to be in western Kentucky for a couple of days in late May / early June, turning it into a circumnavigation to be paid for with blog ad money.  Other than the barbecued mutton in Owensboro, is there anything I need to see or eat in the field of retro / vintage restaurants, very small regional chains, fried pork sandwiches (which are probably an Iowa-only thing), dairy bars, root beer, or drive-ins anywhere between interstates 55 and 65?  Paducah?  Princeton?  Bowling Green?  Evansville IN?

25 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/26 17:22:30 (permalink)
    First on your list should be DOES EAT PLACE in Paducah, KY.
    Family owned by one of the "DOE'S" of the original Greenville, Mississippi Fame.
    Outstanding Beef as only DOES can do it.

Then add Peak Brothers BBQ on U S 60 in Waverly KY

Since you allow entries as far east as I-65,  then on the west side of Louisville, get some fine fish or related rolled Oysters at Mike Linings--reviewed on this site and worth a trip any day.

Country Ham sound good? Get to the Broadbent Store and deli mart -
    http://www.broadbenthams.com/contactus.asp

Just to the north of Evansville a mile off U S 41 is The Old Log INN Claiming to be the oldest restaurant in Indiana, with documented service to Lawyer Abe Lincoln in the 1840's. We enjoy the German style side dishes that accompany the entrees, but the sandwiches are good also. Opens at 4PM and does not accept CreditCards.
    http://theloginn.net/

more coming

phlmaestro
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/26 22:16:47 (permalink)
    I hope to be driving from Nashville to Bloomington, IN later this year and am thinking of stopping in Henderson for Mini Mart fried chicken and pie or banana pudding:  www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/343/colonels-mini-mart

Actually, mutton is also a good possibility in my case, as long as I'm in that area.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2015/03/26 22:25:44
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/27 02:20:15 (permalink)
    Henderson is less than 30 minutes from Owensboro and the Moonlite BBQ, after overeating at the Moonlite, you can cross the river and follow US 231 north to whichever connecting road you care to use to get to Bloomington, Probably US 50/ IN 37 but the choice is yours.  Don't bypass the Moonlite with it variety of meats, side dishes and pies and banana pudding (dinner menu), for a few pieces of fried chicken...although I would recommend both if you are up to it.
    phlmaestro
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/27 07:54:44 (permalink)
    mayor al
    Henderson is less than 30 minutes from Owensboro and the Moonlite BBQ, after overeating at the Moonlite, you can cross the river and follow US 231 north to whichever connecting road you care to use to get to Bloomington, Probably US 50/ IN 37 but the choice is yours.  Don't bypass the Moonlite with it variety of meats, side dishes and pies and banana pudding (dinner menu), for a few pieces of fried chicken...although I would recommend both if you are up to it.

Thanks Mayor, but I'll probably by-pass Owensboro and Moonlite BBQ only because I've been there once before and am planning on trying the barbecue place in Henderson that is reviewed on this site for something different. If I hadn't already been there, I'd likely go to Owensboro and would skip Henderson. I'm more of a barbecue than a fried chicken person. But I've read so many raves about the Mini Mart that I'd like to try it.

Here is my plate following my first trip to the Moonlite buffet. I believe that's mutton in the center. I tried the other style of mutton the serve during my second trip:

post edited by phlmaestro - 2015/03/27 08:08:23
    MattT1000
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/27 08:09:22 (permalink)
    Its little apprecated fact that Kentucky is home to some of the best cuisine in the US. Im from the Uk and we all know this over there. the other clique is that NY is the place to go if you just want big portions. . . . kentucky for the flavour. we were there 3 years ago and dined in the most amazing diner off the main interstate, 25 port 9 (or something like that) the place was called Kudos Delivered, and had some of the very best catering we ever tasted. if you are in or around that area check it out, Kudos Delivered - it might be called something else by now. its home to something called "the Gibson Hall burgar"  . . .prettty damn good and pretty rare too.
    Louis
    • Total Posts : 1342
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/27 09:30:38 (permalink)
    Well, if you go to the Bon Ton Mini Mart (now called The Colonel's Mini Mart) you had better hurry.  The new owners are not doing very well.  The food is still good, but they can't get any bank credit when they have a cash crunch.  I eat there every morning, and have noticed the warm weather is starting to bring more people in once again.  But this winter has been rough on them.  They are too far out of Henderson, and they primarily rely on people from the countryside to come in to make up their clientele.  That group of people and roadfood types (who frequent the restaurant more in the warmer months) are really the backbone of their business.  So do come.  The food is still good.

phlmaestro
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/03/27 09:33:39 (permalink)
    Thanks, Louis. My trip will likely be in September or October. Hope they're still around.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/10 12:49:46 (permalink)
    Louis, I've almost settled on Colonel's Mini Mart as one of my stops in early June, but I'm concerned by a note I read that they allow smoking.  My eyes can't stand that - do they at least have a separate ordering window?

I'm still optimistic that there's some old root beer drive in, like an old B & K, around these parts somewhere.  Does anybody know of one?  Where can I get a great root beer float, or milkshake, to sip on as I'm driving?

The Paducah Doe's is a strong possibility, and I've also had a nomination from a FOAF for Excell Grocery & BBQ in Clarkesville TN. Does anybody know it? 
    Louis
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/10 22:29:23 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup, you're in luck!  The Colonel's Mini-Mart doesn't allow smoking on its premises any longer.  Not for about 3 or 4 years now.

As to a root beer drive in, may I steer you about about 45 miles east of Henderson (and only about 15 miles slightly northeast of Owensboro, Kentucky) to just literally across the Ohio river at Cannelton, Indiana to one of the oldest sites on roadfood.com: Walls' Drive-In.

http://www.roadfood.com/R...view/24/walls-drive-in

They have most of the staples of a Drive-In that you could ask for.

I come here from the west via U.S. 60, through Owensboro, KY and then to Hawesville, KY, where I then turn into downtown, cross the bridge at the Ohio river, and Wall's Drive-In is just a few hundred feet to the right at the bottom of the bridge.

What to get here?  While the Sterns like the square hamburger, I have found something there that defies and exceeds expectations: a cinnamon milkshake.  Unless they have someone on duty who is there on his or her first day, you might be in for a revelation.  I went through all 30+ milkshake flavors over a 5-year period, and there is something about the combination of the ice cream and the flavoring that just makes that particular flavor stand out from all the rest.  I was skeptical until I tried it.   I'm sure other roadfooders have experienced the same sort of phenomenon with other foods.  It's one of those things that your tongue experiences when you least expect it.  It's moments like that that make roadfooding an enjoyable experience.

I'm glad to hear you're thinking about getting down this way.  If you have any other questions, fire away!

post edited by Louis - 2015/04/10 22:33:01
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/11 02:33:21 (permalink)
    Oh, man.  SOLD.  I'll be coming from Louisville, so I'm going to Walls' before Moonlite, then to Colonel's.  Thanks!
    Louis
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/11 08:19:32 (permalink)
    If you're coming from Louisville to go to Wall's, let me make a suggestion.

From Louisville go west on I-64 into Indiana.  Then at the Corydon, Indiana exit on I-64 (IN-135), not far from Louisville, go south for maybe a couple of miles.  Then continue west again on IN-62.  You'll be running parallel with I-64, but this will be one of the most beautiful stretches a scenery you will see.  At some point you will go by the Overlook Restaurant in Leavenworth.  The food is almost always below par (so don't go in) but stop there and look at the bend in the Ohio river from a bird's eye view.  Very scenic.

A little past Leavenworth--around Sulphur, Indiana, IN-62 west intersects with IN-66 south (or west; the road goes in a southwestern direction).  Take IN-66 toward the Ohio river.  You will be in wilderness most of the time, but as you emerge into civilization, right there on your left you will see Wall's Drive-In.  It'll be maybe the first thing you'll see.

After you stop at Wall's, take the bridge (within a few hundred yards of Wall's) across the Ohio river into Kentucky.  Get on U.S. 60, which will take you into Owensboro and the Moonlite.

post edited by Louis - 2015/04/11 09:09:39
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/11 11:44:45 (permalink)
    HeartBreak-
    INTERESTED IN GOOD FRIED CHICKEN IN THE LOUISVILLE AREA? I would be pleased to meet you at HUBERS FAMILY FARM RESTAURANT in Starlight (near New Albany) for Lunch or dinner any day, with a few hours notice. email me at bowenaj@aol.com.

Louis and I approach the same locations from Opposite Sides..I am near Louisville , on the Indiana side of the River Just a couple of miles off IN-62.
    Depending on how much time you are taking for the 'smaller stops' you may want to consider...

EXIT 105- I-64-   Corydon, IN- The State's first Capital. Besides the original Capital Bldg on the town square stop into BUTTS DRUGS, an old fashioned Pharmcey with marble-top soda fountain and traditional fountain items... get a bumper-sticker (collectors item). Check out the candy counter... worth a stop.
    Then either use Louis's scenic route of IN 62 and IN-66 OR
    If time is a concern get back on I-64 head west to exit 79 (IN-37 South), down 37 to IN-237, Left on IN-237 to the Bridge Louis mentioned.  Just before the bridge turn left, Wall's Burgers is right in front of you. Get just a taste, save your space for the Moonlite !!! (I'm not a fan of Wall's, usually just get some FF for a salty snack).
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/04/11 22:17:32 (permalink)
    Actually, I'm going to have myself a pork tenderloin sandwich at Wall's, now that I know that they have them.  That and a cinnamon shake for the road sounds good.

Talking to my kids (with whom part of this trip is scheduled), and my friends in Nashville (with whom I'm staying), I don't think I'll make it as far as Paducah.  This is a bit of a tricky trip!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/07 17:23:24 (permalink)
    I wanted to follow up on this thread, because... wow.

Family schedules, and choosing to save some money staying with friends in Nashville instead of getting a motel, did not allow me to really rampage around the countryside, but after a quick lunch at a Skyline Chili in Louisville, and then some family obligations, I went to Walls' Drive-In for a pretty okay tenderloin sandwich - I'm sure that much better are available further north - and that terrific cinnamon shake, and then to Moonlite for some pretty good mutton, and then met up with Louis, who treated me to lunch at Colonel's Mini-Mart.

You guys.

Everything you've read about this chicken being amazing is true.  Holy anna, the fried chicken is just astonishing.  This was by leagues the best meal of the two days.  (Silver goes to Center Point Bar-B-Que in Hendersonville TN, which I had the day before and really enjoyed, but it's a distant, distant silver.)  If ever I'm in this neck of the woods again, I'm coming back to the Mini Mart to eat my weight in chicken, and hope to stay for longer to sample some of the other promising places around here.  

I'll have a fuller story across the week of July 12 at marieletseat.com, but that's the gist.
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/07 18:15:32 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

Glad to hear you had the opportunity to break bread with Louis

I hope to spend some time in Kentucky (and Central and Southern Indiana) in 2016. It appears these trips to "flyover country" I've been taking are  transitioning into  annual Americana trips. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7503
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/07 19:36:07 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Heartbreaksoup

Glad to hear you had the opportunity to break bread with Louis

I hope to spend some time in Kentucky (and Central and Southern Indiana) in 2016. It appears these trips to "flyover country" I've been taking are  transitioning into  annual Americana trips. 

If you do make it out this way there is always a place to stay here!
    Louis
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/08 08:15:50 (permalink)
    Any roadfooders who venture to this little corner of America, I'm always happy to host and entertain them if I can.

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12604
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/08 16:57:47 (permalink)
    It has been way too long since I have tasted that miraculous fried chicken at Colonel's Mini Mart.  So glad to hear that it is still that good.   Between Stroud's, Mini Mart and Gus's, it is hard to decided which one is best.....
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/10 07:52:37 (permalink)
    CK
    Thank for the invite, but I'll most likely be centered around Louisville and Indianapolis (I need to be near a reliable good cup of coffee) but we can certainl meet for a meal or two

Louis, I'll certainly get in touch with you- again this won't be for another year or so. Colonel's Mini Mart is definitely on my list.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7503
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/06/10 14:36:17 (permalink)
    We now have a Starbucks does that count?

Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/12/27 03:57:50 (permalink)
    Hey, everybody!

Even though the Bon Ton / Colonel's is no more, I enjoyed my summer trip to this area so much that in November, I came back to the area with Marie and my son, and we met up with Louis for stops at several places in Henderson, Evansville, and Waverly.  I've posted our story about Thomason's, with their great mutton and baked beans, and there's lots more to come over the next two weeks.

http://bit.ly/1NI0kMl

Plus you can scroll back from there and read about the first chunk of the trip, visiting Big Dipper and Ole South in Owensboro, Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, and those pretty terrific dinosaurs in Cave City, too!
    Louis
    Re: Western Kentucky 2015/12/27 13:42:40 (permalink)
    I'm glad you enjoyed your trip here!

Just so others reading this know, if one goes to Thomason's they should ask for their barbecue to be "chipped" to get the most satisfying results.  They have a chipping machine that will turn your barbecue into mincemeat.  The finer the meat, the more flavorful it will be, because the barbecue "dip" will be infused into every pore.  Thomason's will serve the barbecue "pulled" if you don't specify what you want.

Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Western Kentucky 2016/02/25 09:30:50 (permalink)
    If anybody else is looking for some places in western Kentucky to try mutton, I've written a short article for Tabelog about the five restaurants in the area that I have visited.  Doing so left me hungry for another trip to Peak Brothers.

bit.ly/1S1Ossh
    phlmaestro
    Re: Western Kentucky 2016/02/25 15:10:30 (permalink)
    I still have to get back there because I didn't have the appetite to try the beans at Thomason's after my other stops that day.

On Peak Bros., while I enjoyed the chipped mutton very much, Louis had them bring out small samples of all of their meats for me, and I would have to say the chipped beef was my favorite.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2016/02/25 21:13:24
    Louis
    Re: Western Kentucky 2016/02/25 20:09:55 (permalink)
    Having them bring out a sample of all their barbecued meats is really the best way to experience Peak Bros.  Then pick out for your meal the one you like the best.

I don't really have a favorite.  I usually go for what I haven't had for a while.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5