What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast?

Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2636
2015/02/28 10:41:07 (permalink)

What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast?

A friend of mine is considering experimenting with veganism but she eats the hell out of breakfast foods. She starts her day with a plowman's breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, griddled tortillas etc.

Are there any vegans on here that can recommend hearty breakfast foods that don't contain delicious animal products?

20 Replies Related Threads

hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1342
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/02/28 10:57:18 (permalink)
    Every year on Seriouseats their lead creative chef (Kenji) does a month of vegan eating complete with tons of recipes. It is always in February so it is just wrapping up. However, I think they have a special designated Vegan Experience section that has all of the articles/recipes from every year. I'm sure there are some breakfast ideas in there.

Of the top of my head, cereal with almond milk, bagels with tofu cream cheese and fruit seem like good options. I'm sure there are more creative ideas out there.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1342
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/02/28 11:08:11 (permalink)
    Here's one that sounds pretty hearty

http://www.seriouseats.co...breakfast-once-ag.html
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 10:23:23 (permalink)
    I'm not a Vegan but I would guess Smoothies, Granola, Nuts, Seeds & Twigs, Grass and Seaweed. 
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11684
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 12:24:49 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    I'm not a Vegan but I would guess Smoothies, Granola, Nuts, Seeds & Twigs, Grass and Seaweed. 

Don't forget tree bark for that extra fiber and unnecessary roughage. 
    rudebarb
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 12:38:03 (permalink)
    Those of us enamoured with bacon, eggs, butter and cheese will be pushing up grass and twigs for our vegan friends long after our last greasy breakfast.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9095
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 14:32:46 (permalink)
    create TV's schedule this weekend has a breakfast theme and several episodes of Jazzy Vegetarian are being shown.  Maybe your friend might find some of the recipes interesting.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7247
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 14:39:51 (permalink)
    rudebarb
    Those of us enamoured with bacon, eggs, butter and cheese will be pushing up grass and twigs for our vegan friends long after our last greasy breakfast.

I don't know about that.

It absolutely astounds me how 'medical science' keeps changing its mind about (just some very recent examples) salt, butter, and coffee.

My younger daughter went through a 'vegan' phase between 17 - 21.  As it's (still) a free country I had absolutely no objection to her doing that save for her seeming compulsion to mock and snark at what the rest of us were eating. 

What a pain in the a$$ that was!

Thankfully, she outgrew that phase and has once again become pleasant dining company.  And today she freely admits that her 'veganism' was far more political/religious than just 'eating healthy'.

As it seems now to be the vestal garment for vegans, global warmers, and Gaia worshippers, I'm tempted to work in a white lab coat when I lecture on economic science.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 15:54:56 (permalink)
    MJ,
    You could lecture on the economic impact of Veganism.
    What we do with all those excess Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Chickens, Dogs, Horses, Monkeys, Squirrels, Cats and Nutria eaten around the world? 
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 16:05:13 (permalink)
    rudebarb

Euell Gibbons once quipped, "Ever eat a pine tree?  Many parts are edible."  Yeah, well, I'll pass.  I also pass on bacon and eggs!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23076
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 16:50:16 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    MJ,
    What we do with all those excess Cows, Pigs, Sheep, Chickens, Dogs, Horses, Monkeys, Squirrels, Cats and Nutria eaten around the world? 

Simple. We hook them up to the Keystone pipeline and they can supply gas for the 35 people a certain temporary resident of Washington D.C. insists will be the only ones working once it's built.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7247
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 18:27:39 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Foodbme
    MJ,

Simple. We hook them up to the Keystone pipeline and they can supply gas for the 35 people a certain temporary resident of Washington D.C. insists will be the only ones working once it's built.

You have some of the right idea.

The problem with all animals, including humans, is that they fart.
    Even worse, the foolish humans insist on driving essth-yew-veehs.
    And, all that farting and SUV driving is giving Earth Mother Gaia a fee-ver.

Well, we most certainly can't have that.
    So, the Industrial Revolution must be reversed.
    Livestock must be humanely neutered.
    And, human population must be reduced to a 'sustainable' 500,000,000 subsistence farmers.
    (Plus, of course, small enclaves of the elite which will retain modern technology in order to rule the farmers).

These are small sacrifices to make in order to palliate Mother Gaia's fever.

The good news is that all this may not be necessary as, evidently, Dick Cheney gave Mother Gaia an aspirin suppository in 2001.  The earth hasn't warmed since. 

Somebody should tell both the President and the Goracle!

The fact that Cheney did this in order to improve Halliburton's profits only proves the validity of Adam Smith:  Intending only his own gain, Cheney was led in this as if by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.

Q.E.D.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23076
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 20:21:51 (permalink)
    OK. OK. Forget the pipeline. Let Canada build a pipeline to one of its own ports and be done with it. We don't need to keep people working in U.S. refineries where they'd planned to take the dilbit. Besides, vegans aren't people. They're aliens from outer space.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/01 22:41:02 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    Michael Hoffman
    Foodbme
    MJ,

You have some of the right idea.

The problem with all animals, including humans, is that they fart.
    Even worse, the foolish humans insist on driving essth-yew-veehs.
    And, all that farting and SUV driving is giving Earth Mother Gaia a fee-ver.

Well, we most certainly can't have that.
    So, the Industrial Revolution must be reversed.
    Livestock must be humanely neutered.
    And, human population must be reduced to a 'sustainable' 500,000,000 subsistence farmers.
    (Plus, of course, small enclaves of the elite which will retain modern technology in order to rule the farmers).

These are small sacrifices to make in order to palliate Mother Gaia's fever.

The good news is that all this may not be necessary as, evidently, Dick Cheney gave Mother Gaia an aspirin suppository in 2001.  The earth hasn't warmed since. 

Somebody should tell both the President and the Goracle!

The fact that Cheney did this in order to improve Halliburton's profits only proves the validity of Adam Smith:  Intending only his own gain, Cheney was led in this as if by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.
    Q.E.D.

We now can convert Cow manure into energy.
    http://science.kqed.org/quest/2013/08/29/harnessing-the-hidden-power-of-cow-manure/
    The next MAJOR CHALLANGE is harnessing all the methane generating Bull S*** coming out of Government offices into energy and the Energy Crises, Global Warming problems would be solved!!! 
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/02 11:28:35 (permalink)
    And the reason the above post was flagged as SPAM is????  Oh, right, he's trying to sell UK kitchens. 
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/02 12:54:14 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

My younger daughter went through a 'vegan' phase between 17 - 21.  As it's (still) a free country I had absolutely no objection to her doing that save for her seeming compulsion to mock and snark at what the rest of us were eating. 

What a pain in the a$$ that was!

You know how the joke goes, right?

How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

Don't worry. They'll tell you....again and again...and again and again.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1094
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/02 13:40:20 (permalink)
    First world problem: If you're a vegan with a rescue dog and you just ran a 5k, how do you know which one to bring up in conversation first?

Seriously though, my best friend is a vegan (he and his wife recently went slightly off the complete vegan wagon and eat eggs and honey that they produce themselves on their farm... they're more about sustainable agriculture than rubbing an ideology in other people's faces) and they eat what could be considered normal breakfast food. Cereals, potatoes, pancakes/waffles, toast, etc., with a smattering of things like fake bacon and sausage.
    They grow a lot of what they eat too, a few huge gardens with everything from herbs at one end to rows of corn on the other, some hops plants, and a small greenhouse with citrus trees among other things.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/03 02:21:10 (permalink)
    lleechef
    And the reason the above post was flagged as SPAM is????  Oh, right, he's trying to sell UK kitchens. 

Thanx! 4 having my back!
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2636
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2015/03/03 10:27:48 (permalink)
    Well, it's not a traditional breakfast by any stretch but my buddy just enjoyed collards, mushrooms and shallots sauteed in grape seed oil with a liberal dusting of red chile flakes and she thoroughly enjoyed it but did mention that it would have been a great breakfast with the addition of a fried egg straddling the affair.
    aki
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2019/05/17 11:01:49 (permalink)
    Most Indian breakfast options are vegan. Choices which come to mind are idli, dosa (both made with fermented lentils and rice), poha (rice flakes), adai (a fermented mix of lentils shallow fried), upma (made with semolina), paratha (wheat flatbread stuffed with vegetables or lentils), pongal (rice boiled with lentils), chila (pancake made with ground chickpea powder) and more. They should be acceptable to the western palate and can be made with very limited spices.

The lentils in the dishes add significant protein, though a few of the dishes are near to pure carb. Typically those would be served with yogurt as a protein source - of course not possible in a vegan diet. You can consider adding ground peanuts to balance things out.
    Uncle Groucho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re: What Do Vegans Eat For Breakfast? 2019/05/18 23:28:51 (permalink)
    Coffee, cigarettes and fingernails.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5