What Makes a Good Roadfood Town?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3616
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/23 23:24:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LegalLady

Well, according to Ort's rules, we have nothing in Oshkosh, Nebraska, that makes a good road food town. I have known that for a long time. The lady

Legal Lady,
Aw, those are just my particular rules; they need not apply to anyone else.
Take good care of your cancer survivor. I'm lucky - it doesn't run in my family. I did, though, lose a loved one over ten years ago to breast cancer (she was 29), and haven't gotten over it yet. Neither have any of the others of her legion of friends.
The next time you have a Runza, think of me. That's something we surely do not get in Athens, Georgia.
Getting Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in 30601.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/23 23:26:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Baked Alaska]

Wandering, How do ya do it? Last I heard, it was freezing up there....
Lleechef, can you collabbbbbbbrrrrrrrate?
Unshiveringly, Ort. in 30601-land.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23113
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/23 23:26:39 (permalink)
You know Ort, It's always a pleasure seeing one of your posts.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 869
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/24 10:34:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by improviser

quote:

5) A local, preferably non-chain-owned radio station (often a one-lung AMer) that doesn't sound like homogenized radio.
Ort., Which station in Seneca meets your criteria? Is it Clemson's student station, 88.1 WSBF? Or something else?

Improviser,
That will do just fine, but I also listen to the AM 1560 station in Clemson that plays Beach Music so obscure that I don't know two-thirds of it.
Sometimes in Anderson, I tune in (or attempt to tune in) WARP out of Due West. Or even WNCW in Spindale (the Isothermal Community College station). Now that last one is a GREAT station!!
Unlisteningly (At The Moment), Ort. in 30601.
P. S. Great onion rings and burgers at The Time Drive-In on East First North Street (Old U. S. 123 when it went through town) in Seneca.

Ah, 1560. I forgot about that one. I listen to WNCW all the time. And I dj'd at 88.1 WSBF back when I was taking classes at Clemson. Now I'm over at Tri-County in Pendleton, trying to finish up my degree. I've probably asked you this before, but have you tried the burgers at Mac's Drive-In? A Tiger Institution, Mac's is great roadfood.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/27 20:00:01 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've probably asked you this before, but have you tried the burgers at Mac's Drive-In? A Tiger Institution, Mac's is great roadfood.

Improviser,
No!!!!! I've never been there!!!!! Give me directions from the railroad station in Calhoun on U. S. 123, where 123 meets the main drag. I can find it from there easily enough.
Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
P. S. How are their onion rings?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/27 20:03:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

You know Ort, It's always a pleasure seeing one of your posts.

Michael,
Even though I'm not able to travel and spot new places at the moment, I still do my best to contribute something worthwhile here. Thanks for the kind words.
Hungrily (For Food AND For The Road!), Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
P. S. And just y'all wait until I DO get out on the road again! I'm gonna do me some overdue new-place tryin' and fancyful grub eatin' for me and for all y'all. Be forewarned! This ain't no threat, it's flat a promise.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: What Makes a Good Roadfood Town? 2005/01/27 20:24:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe
Thus, my rule has become that I don't eat at any place on the road that has a location here at home.

Hear, hear! That is my rule, too. It is only 50% popular with my two boys. But, since I'm the driver and the one buying, I get to choose. (One is on a quest for the world's best chicken fried steak, so he's always game for a new restaurant...)

Two of our recently discovered roadfood places are Cracker Barrel and Black Bear Diner. I know many of you will cringe at Cracker Barrel, but since the chain stops a 4-hour drive east of us, it is roadfood for San Diegans. It also serves so many comfort foods that health-conscious California is abandoning, it is a treat for us.

Black Bear has only about 20 locations (a mini-chain?), most of which are a day's drive away...so, again, it qualifies...

Other qualifications: places where the waitress calls everybody "Hon", or "Sugar" are a good start...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5