What is The Strangest Sandwich..........

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 20:13:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oh, that reminds me of one I haven't had in a while. I used to like rye bread smeared with chicken fat (schmaltz) and topped with sliced onions and lots of pepper and salt.

And of course there's the cannibal sandwich of my youth. Raw ground beef mixed with onions, salt and pepper and slathered on white bread. I could really go for one of those right now. Yum!

I made some awesome stock from some locally-raised free-range chickens this past weekend. I saved the schmaltz for toast, but I'm going to make some "Mr. Hoffman's Special" rye & onion sandwiches.

As for those "cannibal sandwiches", although I've never tried one, I probably would like it, and I'm going to make one soon. I buy local beef, and I'm not at all worried about the "health risk".

I believe any well-done hamburger from any place in this country is worse for you than a raw piece of meat from a local, free-range, organically-raised steer. And, back when Mr. Hoffman was a kid (a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago ), he didn't have to worry about his beef being filled with all the crap this is in there today.

"As for those "cannibal sandwiches", although I've never tried one, I probably would like it, and I'm going to make one soon. I buy local beef, and I'm not at all worried about the "health risk"."

Otay, Buckwheat. Good Luck...

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 20:18:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Oh, that reminds me of one I haven't had in a while. I used to like rye bread smeared with chicken fat (schmaltz) and topped with sliced onions and lots of pepper and salt.

And of course there's the cannibal sandwich of my youth. Raw ground beef mixed with onions, salt and pepper and slathered on white bread. I could really go for one of those right now. Yum!

I made some awesome stock from some locally-raised free-range chickens this past weekend. I saved the schmaltz for toast, but I'm going to make some "Mr. Hoffman's Special" rye & onion sandwiches.

As for those "cannibal sandwiches", although I've never tried one, I probably would like it, and I'm going to make one soon. I buy local beef, and I'm not at all worried about the "health risk".

I believe any well-done hamburger from any place in this country is worse for you than a raw piece of meat from a local, free-range, organically-raised steer. And, back when Mr. Hoffman was a kid (a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago ), he didn't have to worry about his beef being filled with all the crap this is in there today.

I hope you like the schmaltz. It's especially good when it has gribbenes mixed in. (Gribbenes are cracklings -- the crisp bits of poultry skin and browned onion left from rendering schmaltz.)Now, about that LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago ...

You'll get yours.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13939
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 20:20:55 (permalink)
I was in Brussels several years ago and I had lunch with some colleagues that were from there. They all ordered carpaccio. I did not know what the hell it was. When it wa delivered, I was shocked. It looked like dog food. I will admit that I did try it and was unable to consume it. Just a small amount. The meat was highly seasoned and as I recall, it did not taste bad. It was a mental thing with me. I also recall that it was made from high quality beef.

I have no qualms about eating raw fish from salt water although raw fish from the lakes are out. I generally consume raw fish from the ocean on my sushi.

I had a friend that worked with the group that the Kennedy's started where you take a year off and help poorer nations develop. He got a good gig off the one of the remote Phillipines Islands. He existed almost every day on raw fish which he caught when he was snorkling. He enjoyed it very much. Sometimes he would marinate them in lemons, limes, grapefruite or other acid fruits but most of the time, it was just the raw fruit of the sea.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 20:30:54 (permalink)
quote:

Now, about that LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago ...

You'll get yours.

HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 12:34:54 (permalink)
quote:

I used to eat raw ground beef from the store, but I no longer do that. For the past few years I've ground my own.

My apologies Mr. Hoffman. I guess the fact that you grind your own makes a difference. I still don't think this sounds very appealing but as aforementioned it may be a regional and/or generation thing.

And yes, I have had sushi and raw oysters.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 13:57:09 (permalink)
My husband thinks my spaghetti sandwiches in front of the computer are weird. (Spaghetti off the plate & on the garlic bread, with extra garlic salt, when you're very busy and/or in a hurry.) He should've considered the source!
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 561
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 14:27:08 (permalink)
This discussion about raw chopped beef sandwiches gave me a hankering for one of my favorite dishes, steak tartare, so I ordered it in a restaurant a few days ago. Delicious! I have never gotten sick from consuming this (knock on wood!), and I basically presume that a restaurant that is going to have it on its regular menu (such as the wonderful French bistro I went to last week) is going to be extra cautious to make sure that the beef they have is of appropriately good quality and safe, because the potential for illness (and subsequent liability!) is that much greater than with cooked food.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 14:29:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

This discussion about raw chopped beef sandwiches gave me a hankering for one of my favorite dishes, steak tartare, so I ordered it in a restaurant a few days ago. Delicious! I have never gotten sick from consuming this (knock on wood!), and I basically presume that a restaurant that is going to have it on its regular menu (such as the wonderful French bistro I went to last week) is going to be extra cautious to make sure that the beef they have is of appropriately good quality and safe, because the potential for illness (and subsequent liability!) is that much greater than with cooked food.

In a good restaurant they'll grind the beef themselves, so I wouldn't worry about anything.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 14:37:16 (permalink)
My brother used to make what I dubbed the "super-duper nothing sandwich". He spread the bread with ketsup, mayo, mustard, pickle relish, and then discovered we had no bologna. So, he put the pieces of bread together and ate them anyway. After that, he often made it on purpose that way.

The weirdest sandwich I personally ate was when mom had me try peanut butter, mayo and banana. (But not fried, a la Elvis) I remember liking it, but have never made it for myself.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 17:30:15 (permalink)
We used to make a "summer sandwich" that had no meat. Just tomatoes onions cucumbers lettuce or whatever was in the garden. Add a little mayo or mustard on it and it was all good!

Butch
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 19:13:39 (permalink)
My 82 year old mom still loves radish and cream cheese sandwiches.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 19:35:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Z66 Butch

We used to make a "summer sandwich" that had no meat. Just tomatoes onions cucumbers lettuce or whatever was in the garden. Add a little mayo or mustard on it and it was all good!

Butch

Yes. I want a thick sliced garden 'mater & onion sandwich, now.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1513
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 20:28:36 (permalink)
I love open-faced tuna salad on toasted blueberry bagels, and when I was young, I fancied mayo, butter, and ketchup on a homemade biscuit.
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/29 23:56:43 (permalink)
My father used to eat peanut butter and sardine sandwiches. Also, after Thanksgiving, he would make - believe it or not - stuffing sandwiches!
Farmaller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/30 08:17:38 (permalink)
Mustard and a slice of cheese on white was a favorite of mine along with peanut butter and dill pickle.
My Dad used to fry up some eggs over easy and break the eggs up in a bowl just enough to coat it all in the yoke and put that on white or rye.
My Mom loved what she called Little Green Oinion Sandwiches, early onions on white with black pepper and butter
My wife loves Peanut butter on corn on the cob
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1513
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/30 10:32:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by unalaskawoman

My father used to eat peanut butter and sardine sandwiches. Also, after Thanksgiving, he would make - believe it or not - stuffing sandwiches!

Funny you should mention that..I had a stuffing sandwich on raisin bread yesterday morning... I wish I hadn't.. ugh..
LindaW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/30 12:34:55 (permalink)
I knew this one woman that loved liverwurst and grape jelly on white bread......also...and I know this is a cultural thing...but pastrami...and I'm talking jewish deli style...on white with mayo...now I'm sorry...that one got to me....

alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/30 15:43:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

I knew this one woman that loved liverwurst and grape jelly on white bread......also...and I know this is a cultural thing...but pastrami...and I'm talking jewish deli style...on white with mayo...now I'm sorry...that one got to me....

Welcome LindaW! "pastrami on white with mayo" yes I am sorry too!
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/12/02 15:36:06 (permalink)
After reading your posts I don't think my sandwich is weird after all. Creamy peanut butter and strawberry preserves, grilled in butter. Runny and messy to eat but so good. Lord, I love those things. They're great for breakfast. I'm gonna put some thin slices of banana in there next time...
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/12/02 17:39:58 (permalink)
My dad's favorite sandwich was peanut butter and sweet pickles. Not that bad, but not my favorite. My favorites that people think are odd include banana and mayo on white or wheat, grape jelly on dill rye, and bacon or ham, lettuce and pineapple on white with mayo. I don't like tomatoes, but pineapple seems to fill the same kind of juicy, tangy space in my palate of food choices.

As with all of the other choices mentioned above, don't knock it until you've tried it!

Have a great weekend!
Alice
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/12/23 20:45:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HotDogHead

My grandfather ate sliced raw onions, salted and peppered on white. Yuck.

Oh but did he ever try a large slice of sweet onion with ketchup?..
Hmmmm..
I would make a burger and then just eat the onion with the ketchup first, and then finish the burger....
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5