What is The Strangest Sandwich..........

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2005/11/22 09:51:21 (permalink)

What is The Strangest Sandwich..........

..............that you have ever eaten? Many years ago there was a woman at work that would bring her lunch. Almost every day she would have a scrambled egg, sauerkraut and peanut butter sandwich! They were on rye bread or a darker pumpernickel sometimes. Well a few of us guys were always teasing her about that sandwich so one day she brought in several of them and got us to try one. I have to say it was good!

This was a combination that I would have never thought of. I like all of the ingredients but would never have tried them together without seeing someone else doing it first. I made them at home a couple of times when we had sauerkraut left over. A few of the guys even started bringing them to work occasionally, I never did that!

So, back to the question. What is the strangest sandwich that you have ever tried? Lets have the recipe!

PB, Scrambled egg and Sauerkraut Sandwich:

2 pieces of rye or dark bread
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1/4 cup sauerkraut
1 Scrambled egg

Spread 1/2 of the peanut butter on each slice of bread. place drained sauerkraut on one slice of bread. Place one scrambled egg on top of the sauerkraut. Put the other slice of bread, PB side down, on the top to make the sandwich!

Butch

50 Replies Related Threads

Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 17:30:39 (permalink)
    Frog leg sandwich. Or the 10 year old grilled cheese sandwich with the likes of the Virgin Mary on it that sold for $28,000 on eBay.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 17:35:26 (permalink)
    my grandfather liked radish sandwiches.

Sliced radishes on white with salt. No cheese, no mayo...just sliced radishes with table salt on white.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3050
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 17:47:02 (permalink)
    Sardine and egg at Primanti Bros, with cole slaw and fries on the sandwich.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 724
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 18:25:47 (permalink)
    I used to eat peanut butter and saurkraut sandwiches as a kid. Kind of tangy, and not gross at all. Chunky peanut butter, too.

Might have to have one this weekend, just for old times' sake....
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 22:48:46 (permalink)
    OK...this has been on my mind. First of all, to each his own, whether politics, food or otherwise...as long as it doesn't interfere with the commonweal.

However, that said, I sometimes wonder about this wholesale tossing on of all condiments. My sense of taste isn't acute enough to sort out, let us say, bologna on hard roll, with mustard, and ketchup, and relish, and then Thousand Island dressing tossed on top of that with sour cream and cherries and salsa.

I've seen wilder ones. And gosh, if your taste buds can ferret through all of that, more power to you.

But I think it gets to be a bit of a contest, doesn't it?. Who can eat the most contradictory flavors on one sandwich? "I will shock you, Mom! I will pierce my big toe, drop out of choir, and then put kasha on my pie a la mode. I can't rebel against what's important, because I don't know what's important, but I sure as blazes ain't gonna eat what you and Dad eat. Plus, you guys always did go nuts about trying to make me eat. So, this should push your gustatory buttons."

But, getting away from the hallucinatory segue and back to real life, seems to me that if you take all the colors of the rainbow and don't break 'em down with a prism, what you get is a rather drab shade of brown.

I feel the same about condiment combinations. Granted, some are great. And while some are just so-so, they might evoke a memory, like me when I first hit Iowa upon arrival at college and the fast food hamburger joint (I think it was a Scotty's) automatically put ketchup and mustard on the burger. Back then in Newark, NJ, it was just ketchup on burgers and mustard on hot dogs. Today, the combo gives me a fond memory. But, given my druthers, I still like hamburger with my ketchup (no error).

Maybe I'm like Ward Bond in "Gentleman Jim" (1942) when he visits Jim Corbett just shortly after losing the Heavyweight title to the newfangled fighter and says, "I don't know much about this gentleman stuff...maybe it's a good thing."

Well, I don't know much about this piling on high the condiments and reaching for the nuttiest sandwich combo there is, perhaps to be to sandwich eating what Paris Hilton is to celebrity.

It's not for me, but maybe it's a good thing.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23236
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 23:00:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

my grandfather liked radish sandwiches.

Sliced radishes on white with salt. No cheese, no mayo...just sliced radishes with table salt on white.

Sounds pretty good to me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/22 23:03:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

I used to eat peanut butter and saurkraut sandwiches as a kid. Kind of tangy, and not gross at all. Chunky peanut butter, too.

Might have to have one this weekend, just for old times' sake....

Peanut butter and onion sandwiches were a favorite of mine. They were nourishing and cheap. The peanut butter did away with the onion breath and the onions cut the the stick-to-your teeth quality of the peanut butter. It was something I ate while in college, and when I made some for my kids they loved them enough to make their own to take to school for their lunches.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 00:51:58 (permalink)
    I remember the first time I heard of people putting mayonnaise and peanut butter together on a white bread sandwich, and thought that that was gross.

But I also remember trying it once, and finding out that it really was not bad at all!

I even have a relative who would add a layer of egg salad to this...and it actually worked, too.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 08:31:23 (permalink)
    I have always eaten peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.
    And yes, I also, have had a radish sandwich like your grandfather. I have also eaten raw turnip sandwiches. Just slice raw turnips, add a little salt and eat on white bread.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 08:38:05 (permalink)
    Melted swiss cheese on a raisin english muffin. It must be served with chicken noodle cup O soup too.. that's pretty wierd but I crave them.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13939
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 08:47:12 (permalink)
    I enjoy a mash potato sandwich where I fry the mash potatoes and putting them between a couple of white bread slices and grilling them. The butter on the white bread turns the bread a golden brown. I put a couple of rings of onions in the center.

Occasionaly I add some cheddar.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    angeltx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 09:43:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I enjoy a mash potato sandwich where I fry the mash potatoes and putting them between a couple of white bread slices and grilling them. The butter on the white bread turns the bread a golden brown. I put a couple of rings of onions in the center.

Occasionaly I add some cheddar.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I Love mashed Potato sandwiches but never have fry the mashed potatoes, I'll have to try that the next time........pretty wierd to me my Mother-In-Law puts peanut butter on her hot dog.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3660
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 13:47:45 (permalink)
    ...Mother-In-Law puts peanut butter on her hot dog...
    Well that's similar to a snack I do. I spread Jif topped with habanero powder on a slice of bologna, place a dill pickle spear on it and roll it up and munch away.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 14:51:26 (permalink)
    My grandfather ate sliced raw onions, salted and peppered on white. Yuck.
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 15:07:36 (permalink)
    Courtesy of my grandfather...home-rendered lard on homemade white bread; limberger cheese on homemade white bread; butter and real maple syrup on homemade white bread.

My husband likes peanut butter on his BLT's.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 15:12:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KimChee43

That actually doesn't sound bad. I like BLT's but I can't stand mayonnaise so I usually use ranch dressing instead. I think I'd just use the bacon and peanut butter; no lettuce or tomatoes.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 15:13:01 (permalink)
    I've also eaten that . I slice raw onion, add salt and spread mustard on my bread
    quote:
    Originally posted by HotDogHead

My grandfather ate sliced raw onions, salted and peppered on white. Yuck.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 15:18:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KimChee43

Courtesy of my grandfather...home-rendered lard on homemade white bread; limberger cheese on homemade white bread; butter and real maple syrup on homemade white bread.

Oh, that reminds me of one I haven't had in a while. I used to like rye bread smeared with chicken fat (schmaltz) and topped with sliced onions and lots of pepper and salt.

And of course there's the cannibal sandwich of my youth. Raw ground beef mixed with onions, salt and pepper and slathered on white bread. I could really go for one of those right now. Yum!
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 15:31:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And of course there's the cannibal sandwich of my youth. Raw ground beef mixed with onions, salt and pepper and slathered on white bread. I could really go for one of those right now. Yum!

That's just sick and wrong.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 21:24:10 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Just exactly what's wrong and what is sick about it?
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/23 23:48:05 (permalink)
    Ahh, because it should be on rye bread?
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 01:10:09 (permalink)
    My Dad used to make "Leftover Sandwiches" to take to work the next morning. It was precisely what the name implied. He would open the door to the Frig about 9pm and rummage through it to put together a Sandwich. Normally he would just use the leftovers from the meal before, which meant that the ingredients went together. Like his Meatloaf and Mashed Potato with Tomato Gravy Sandwich. However, sometimes the leftovers were few and far between then he would put together some pretty interesting combinations. Here are a couple of the more memorable ones.

1. Polish Sausage and Broccoli with Mustard.

2. Pot Roast and Eggplant Parmasean.

CNW
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 18:43:36 (permalink)
    I ate this. More than once.

White bread
    peanut butter
    Miracle Whip
    yellow mustard
    cotto salami
    lettuce
    grape jelly
    tomato slice

The best part? The grape jelly and the mustard together.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 18:52:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

I ate this. More than once.

White bread
    peanut butter
    Miracle Whip
    yellow mustard
    cotto salami
    lettuce
    grape jelly
    tomato slice

The best part? The grape jelly and the mustard together.

I'd like to see a pic on this one...

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 18:55:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Raw beef? Not a good situation. A hearty, good luck to you?

I hope you pound a few strong shots of some form of alcohol after eating this to kill "God knows" what could be in the beef.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 19:41:50 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Raw beef? Not a good situation. A hearty, good luck to you?

I hope you pound a few strong shots of some form of alcohol after eating this to kill "God knows" what could be in the beef.

Really? Do you feel the same way about carpaccio? But please tell me about it. I've been eating raw beef for more than 65 years, and I've been feeding it to others for more than 40 years. Please tell me about how unsafe this is. By the way, do you feel the same way about raw fish?
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 19:48:50 (permalink)
    Seriously, if you chop up your own muscle meat ala round or sirloin, you have a much better shot at getting ill frm chicken. Now if the very idea turns you off, it obviously wasn't a part of your culture. Here in Milwaukee, it used to be standard wedding fare so it was quite common. I'd never trust eating raw meat from the grocery as you don't know what was in the grinder before your meat, but I'll still chop my own from time to time. It's served open faced on buttered rye bread with a healthy amount of raw onions, salt and pepper. Tastes like tuna sashimi if you're curious.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 19:55:27 (permalink)
    I used to eat raw ground beef from the store, but I no longer do that. For the past few years I've ground my own.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What is The Strangest Sandwich.......... 2005/11/28 20:04:39 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh, that reminds me of one I haven't had in a while. I used to like rye bread smeared with chicken fat (schmaltz) and topped with sliced onions and lots of pepper and salt.

I made some awesome stock from some locally-raised free-range chickens this past weekend. I saved the schmaltz for toast, but I'm going to make some "Mr. Hoffman's Special" rye & onion sandwiches.

As for those "cannibal sandwiches", although I've never tried one, I probably would like it, and I'm going to make one soon. I buy local beef, and I'm not at all worried about the "health risk".

I believe any well-done hamburger from any place in this country is worse for you than a raw piece of meat from a local, free-range, organically-raised steer. And, back when Mr. Hoffman was a kid (a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago ), he didn't have to worry about his beef being filled with all the crap this is in there today.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5