Hot!What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/07 09:13:17 (permalink)
toddfleet, for BBQ with smokey flavor in that part of the metro, you might also try Winslows or Smoking Joes.

Keith
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/07 09:39:21 (permalink)

What ever happened to Bobby Bell's BBQ ? Another sport's figure attempt at a restaurant gone bad???
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/07 09:49:52 (permalink)
I much prefer Bryants' BBQ. Gates' is iffy, depending on which location you go to, and I don't like their sauce.
Fiorello's Jack Stack good, too, and the location on Metacalf is pretty plush. Avoid the KC Masterpiece ourist trap.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5358
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/07 10:15:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

What ever happened to Bobby Bell's BBQ ? Another sport's figure attempt at a restaurant gone bad???

Bobby Bell's Sauce was great. Had beet powder in it.
He was a pretty darn good linebacker too.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5752
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/07 12:30:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

I much prefer Bryants' BBQ. Gates' is iffy, depending on which location you go to, and I don't like their sauce.
Fiorello's Jack Stack good, too, and the location on Metacalf is pretty plush. Avoid the KC Masterpiece ourist trap.
Jack Stack recently took over the old KC Masterpiece space on Country Club Plaza. This leaves only one KC Masterpiece location in Overland Park. No reports yet on whether the new Jack Stack location is any good. Gotta think it's going to be okay though.

Buddy
mwr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/08 09:55:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss
Had beet powder in it.
What is beef powder?
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/08 10:35:22 (permalink)
I like the onion straws and Carolina sandwich at the orignal KC Masterpiece. Many folks think they have the best babyback ribs in town.

The service has always been very good.

Keith
1bbqboy
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/08 11:39:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mwr

quote:
Had beet powder in it.
What is beef powder?

http://www.myspicer.com/index.html?/data_returns/listbycountry.php?id=2102010&cname=Beet%20PowderDescription: Beet Powder can be used with homemade tomato and barbeque sauces to give natural coloring and added flavor. It can also be added to gravies, salad dressings, meat, poultry, and fish dishes. To make this powder, the beets are dehydrated and then ground to a powder.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6784
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/09 21:46:55 (permalink)
I was in Kansas City yesterday. It only took me two attempts to get there. After about 30 minutes in the air the plane turned around and flew back to Minneapolis because of electrical problems. So I got on board another flight but missed my morning meeting but not lunch. Lunch was a working lunch in a private room at the Golden Ox just north of Kemper Arena because time was precious. The Golden Ox was an old fashion unchanged since the 50s steak restaurant. No pork tenderloins. I opted for a bar-b-que pulled pork sandwich since I assume you should eat bar-b-que in Kansas City. I flew back to Minneapolis the same day--a long 17 hour day.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/09 22:45:49 (permalink)
Davydd, you were not only near Kemper Arena, you were also right on top of The American Royal; that big white building adjacent to Kemper. As you probably know, the Royal is home to the world's largest barbecue cook-off, hosting nearly 400 teams this past year.

Imagine all those parking lots surrounding that whole area filled with busy barbecue teams and you will get an idea of the size of the event. On the Friday and Saturday mornings of the competition, you will see a huge hickory cloud hanging over the vicinity as you drive in off of I-670.

Buddy

P.S. Oddly enough, after 28 years of attachment to my darling KC wife, along with 16 years of participation in the American Royal, I have never had a meal at the Golden Ox! Hope you enjoyed your meal and got some rest on the flight home.

B.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/10 11:02:34 (permalink)
Buddy,

The KC people mentioned The American Royal. Sounds like quite the event.

PS. I think I will add The American Royal to my to do list when I win the Powerball lottery.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10090
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/10 11:04:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

I was in Kansas City yesterday. It only took me two attempts to get there. After about 30 minutes in the air the plane turned around and flew back to Minneapolis because of electrical problems. So I got on board another flight but missed my morning meeting but not lunch. Lunch was a working lunch in a private room at the Golden Ox just north of Kemper Arena because time was precious. The Golden Ox was an old fashion unchanged since the 50s steak restaurant. No pork tenderloins. I opted for a bar-b-que pulled pork sandwich since I assume you should eat bar-b-que in Kansas City. I flew back to Minneapolis the same day--a long 17 hour day.

Davydd,

I had probably one of the best Steaks ever at the Golden Ox.
A Kansas City Strip that was truly memorable
1bbqboy
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/10 11:39:51 (permalink)
I'm old enough to remember the Stockyards having Cows in them. We had to march, as Cub Scouts, around the Old AR building (Always smelled like horses) during the month long American Royal.
And the Golden Ox. Good Stuff.
And Davy, you can always sign on for Buddy's sauce booth and plunge into
everything full force.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/10 15:27:51 (permalink)
The Golden Ox kind of reminded me of Murray's here in Minneapolis. Murray's is a steak restaurant that hasn't changed since it opened in the mid 40's. Murray's is billed as the home of the butter knife steak. I don't recall any BBQ choices though at Murray's. Even though the Golden Ox is not considered a BBQ place they had a pretty good selection to choose from. I suspect they have to given their location in Kansas City.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/10 23:31:00 (permalink)
quote:

And Davy, you can always sign on for Buddy's sauce booth and plunge into everything full force.
It's true, we're always looking for volunteers. No money involved, but you get first crack at the hundreds of different barbecue sauces, marinades and rubs that are donated by the dozens of manufacturers who enter the contest.

Plus, because we're in tight with many of the cooking teams, after they've placed their entries with the judges, we get some of the best leftovers known to mankind! Piles of championship ribs, pulled pork, sausage, and brisket along with buckets of amazing baked beans, potato salad and desserts!

Finally, you'll know that you've helped raise thousands of dollars for about a half dozen worthy, local charities.

Anyone interested in working at the Barbecue Sauce Store should let me know as we get closer to the date. This year's American Royal Barbecue Cook-off is being held on October 5th & 6th. You've got seven months to clear your calendar!

Buddy
glennpan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 11:09:24 (permalink)
I will be in KC in April for my second ever visit. On my first visit, I went to Smokin' Guns and Oklahoma Joes.

Smokin' Guns was arguably the best BBQ I ever had, everything, the ribs, burnt ends, and the beans were phenominal. OK Joes was also very good, not quite in the league of Smokin' Guns, and their beans were kind of strange (though still good).

This time I will be staying downtown (on McGee), and will be without a car. I was planning on hitting the original Arthur Bryants location, and Jack Stacks. Are there any other places in that area that I should try?

Glenn
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 12:33:51 (permalink)
glenn, I know this will sound like a snarky response, but here goes: Have you read any of the posts above yours? There are at least half a dozen worthy places mentioned in the roughly 30 or so responses on this thread.

As for this question:

"I was planning on hitting the original Arthur Bryants location, and Jack Stacks. Are there any other places in that area that I should try?"

What area are you talking about? The greater Kansas City metro area? While there is a new Jack Stack location that just opened up on The Plaza, and it is sort of in the same area as Arthur Bryant's, the Jack Stack location that has been lauded here and in other threads is in Overland Park, Kansas; nowhere near AB's.

Best advice is to read the posts here in this very thread for some excellent recommendations from many points of view.

Buddy
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 13:32:36 (permalink)
Buddy,

I don't take take your response as snarky at all. I did read the postings. I thought that I was being clear, that I was staying in downtown KC, and would not have a car to drive. In other words, since I don't know the KC area very well, which places would be within walking distance or a 10 minute or so cab ride of the downtown area?

If someone were to ask the same question of the Chicago downtown, I certainly wouldn't recommend something in Aurora, would you? If KC is such a small metro area that the question was silly, then I apologize for my poor geography.

The new Jack Stack location looks to be about 2 blocks from my hotel, and Arthur Bryant's just over a mile away.

Glenn

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 14:48:18 (permalink)
Glenn,

My mistake. My feeble brain did not quite comprehend the downtown/no car requirements. My apologies.

That being said, if you will give me a more specific address for your hotel, I will do my best to give you some strong recommendations not only for Barbecue, but for other eating options in that area as well.

Buddy
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 16:34:33 (permalink)
Buddy,

No problem. I appreciate the help. 2345 McGee St is where I am staying.

Glenn
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 994
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 17:26:54 (permalink)
Fiorella's Jack Stack behind Union Station is less than 1000 yards from the Hyatt, and Arthur Bryant's is less than 1 1/2 mile away.

Lidia's next door to Jack Stack offers very good Italian fare, and the Hereford House just a couple of blocks away is one of the very finest steak houses in the U.S.A. These 3 are all within easy walking distance from your hotel.

And there are even some very good lunch places in the mall between the Hyatt and Westin.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 17:41:53 (permalink)
I also love Oklahoma Joe's and would almost drive there right now if I didn't just have surgery. One of the best afternoons of my life was picking up a rack of their ribs, a big side of beans and taking it to a dive bar near there to watch the Iowa State Cyclones upset Kansas in Men's Basketball. I did end up buy some beers for Jayhawk fans around me who put up with my big mouth.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/14 21:18:48 (permalink)
I'm heading back to KC next week with two lunch and one dinner opportunities. One of them has to be a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich though because that is what I do. I will be again very busy in a short period of time so don't know what those opportunities might be.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/15 09:58:11 (permalink)
You can get the best pizza in KC at d'Bronx in Crown Center, just a short walk through the gerbil tubes from the Hyatt. Manny's is real close, too, for excellent Mexican. The breakfast at the Hyatt is exorbitantly priced slop, so I always go to Einstein Bros in Crown Center and get a bagel for breakfast. I spent a week at the Hyatt not too long ago while doing some work at NAIC next door.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/15 11:39:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

Fiorella's Jack Stack behind Union Station is less than 1000 yards from the Hyatt, and Arthur Bryant's is less than 1 1/2 mile away.

Lidia's next door to Jack Stack offers very good Italian fare, and the Hereford House just a couple of blocks away is one of the very finest steak houses in the U.S.A. These 3 are all within easy walking distance from your hotel.

And there are even some very good lunch places in the mall between the Hyatt and Westin.
Glenn,

I'll go with what Hillbilly said as far as places located near your hotel.

Beyond that, a short cab ride will take you to Grand Emporium Saloon at 3832 Main Street. Grand Emporium, while not the best spot for KC 'Que, is a fine establishment serving up fine food and great live music. The place is run by "Amazing Grace" Harris, a legendary character on the local scene. The food is acclaimed by Ardie Davis, author of the Kansas City BBQ Pocket Guide, and Grace's sauce and baste have won numerous awards at the American Royal. The music starts late and you'll need to buy a ticket over and above the price of dinner. But if you're a late night person, this is a great spot to be.

Just around the corner, heading west along 39th Street, you'll find a well populated restaurant row that stretches all the way to the University of Kansas Medical Center. Along the way you'll find a new entry, Pangea Cafe & Market, a kind of "whole world under one roof" sort of place representing a little of everything from Pad Thai Noodles to Beef and Guiness Pie. Normally I would not recommend a place like this, but we tried it this past Christmas with Mrs. Roadhouse's aunt and uncle, and it was pretty good. Reasonable prices too.

Near the corner of 39th and Main is a little dive, Island Spice, that is serving some outstanding Caribbean food. There are just a few tables and there is now warm, cozy corner when a new patron opens the door, but this is good stuff that is worth the stop. Be sure to try the homemade ginger beer.

Also down that way is Genghis Kahn's Mongolian Grill. One of the better entries in the "build your own entree" genre, Kahn's is a good value at lunch. Wonderfull blown up photos of Mongolia, its people and landscape cover the walls.

Next door to Kahn's is D'Bronx New York Deli. Skip it. Whatever greatness this place had the first time I visited about five years back has since evaporated.

A bit further south is Country Club Plaza, the local Mecca for shopping and dining. Altough it has become very touristy, it's still worth spending an afternoon walking and window shopping. Plenty of decent, if not great eating options here for a snack or a meal.

On the other hand, just east of the Plaza, on 47th Street is the original location of Winstead's Hamburgers. Okay, it's not the original building, and some folks have complained that Winstead's has changed (not me; I think it's fine), but still, this place has been lauded by Calvin Trillin as one of his favorites here in his hometown. You don't want to fill up at a hamburger joint? Fine, skip the ordinary fries and just order a single with everything. It's an excellent little cavity filler between an early lunch and a late dinner.

Finally, addressing your statement, "If KC is such a small metro area that the question was silly, then I apologize for my poor geography. "; no it's not that small, but getting around is pretty quick and easy. A knowledgeable cabbie can get you to all the good spots in about 10-15 minutes.

Hope that helps and once again, I'm sorry for not reading your initial post carefully enough.

Buddy
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 994
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/15 13:33:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Niagara

You can get the best pizza in KC at d'Bronx in Crown Center, just a short walk through the gerbil tubes from the Hyatt. Manny's is real close, too, for excellent Mexican. The breakfast at the Hyatt is exorbitantly priced slop, so I always go to Einstein Bros in Crown Center and get a bagel for breakfast. I spent a week at the Hyatt not too long ago while doing some work at NAIC next door.

While I agree that d"Bronx is the best pizza in KC, it still isn't very good. I'll wait until I get out of KC to get my pizza.

My frequent visits to KC over the last 20 years have also been for training, working groups, committees at the NAIC--both at their current location and the previous one across from the Marriott (old Allis Plaza). On the regulator side.
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/15 16:21:36 (permalink)
There is a a handy bus route called the Metro Area Express that runs between Crown Center, City Market, Liberty Memorial, Nelson-Atkins, downtown and Crown Center ($1.25 each way). http://www.kcata.org/media/MAXFacts.htm or call (816) 221-0660 for details.

Winslow's Smokehouse in the city Market can be reached by the bus. Also Danny Edward's BBQ (formerly Lil Jakes) downtown. Danny Edward's is tiny and is only open for weekday lunch.

Smokin' Joes is only 1 block west of the Crossroads bus stop. They have wonderful spicy smoked wings, good fries and ribs.

Rosedale BBQ on Southwest Boulevard in Kansas City, KS has been in business since 1934. It is a short cab ride away.

You are unlikely to be able to hail a taxi on the street, but service can be ordered by calling Checker Cab (816) 444-4444, Yellow Cab (816) 471-5000, or Advanced Suburban Taxi (913) 209-9393.

Keith
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/15 16:24:24 (permalink)
Please tell me more about Smokin' Guns BBQ?

Including places that are now closed, I have been to over 70 KC area BBQ restaurants, but that is a new one to me.

Keith
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/17 18:53:12 (permalink)
The Travel Channel just played Food Wars - Bar-B-Que and featured Arthur Bryant's and KC Masterpiece.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2007/02/18 08:45:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sfreader

There is a a handy bus route called the Metro Area Express that runs between Crown Center, City Market, Liberty Memorial, Nelson-Atkins, downtown and Crown Center ($1.25 each way). http://www.kcata.org/media/MAXFacts.htm or call (816) 221-0660 for details.

Thanks for that link. We will be in downtown KC in early September and would prefer not to drive around town. Very helpful info.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5