Hot!What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5420
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 10:55:51 (permalink)
I was trying to suggest an alternative to Stroud's, not for cue, suggested by friends in the know. Have you been to Q39, Buddy?
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2016/10/03 10:57:52
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 12:37:07 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
1bbqboy
...RYE is the supposed top of the heap
these days for chicken and other local
iconic dishes, and Colby and Megan are both award winners.

I don't know that I'd characterize "Rye" as a 'Que Joint, per se.  IMO, their menu is better described as modern American, focused on its Midwestern roots, with an emphasis on smoked meats.  They also serve a number dishes most of us would characterize as Southern Comfort Food, including Shrimp & Grits and Blue Crab Hush Puppies.

This is not a comment or criticism of the restaurant, just an observation of fact.  They probably have pretty good grub, although if you want KC's "Best BBQ" you're better off sticking to a place that does that exclusively.

Buddy

Buddy, I totally agree with you. Rye actually looks like one of the many many restaurants that locals go to right here in Rhode Island and Eastern  CT.  My take is why would I want to go all the way to KC when I can get the same stuff right here?
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 12:37:10 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
1bbqboy
...RYE is the supposed top of the heap
these days for chicken and other local
iconic dishes, and Colby and Megan are both award winners.

I don't know that I'd characterize "Rye" as a 'Que Joint, per se.  IMO, their menu is better described as modern American, focused on its Midwestern roots, with an emphasis on smoked meats.  They also serve a number dishes most of us would characterize as Southern Comfort Food, including Shrimp & Grits and Blue Crab Hush Puppies.

This is not a comment or criticism of the restaurant, just an observation of fact.  They probably have pretty good grub, although if you want KC's "Best BBQ" you're better off sticking to a place that does that exclusively.

Buddy

Buddy, I totally agree with you. Rye actually looks like one of the many many restaurants that locals go to right here in Rhode Island and Eastern  CT.  My take is why would I want to go all the way to KC when I can get the same stuff right here?
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 13:22:47 (permalink)
But you're not in small town Iowa, and my guess is most of those places in RI aren't Beard nominees. The Rye suggestion was via Zataar , BTW.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5800
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 22:58:30 (permalink)
1bbqboy
I was trying to suggest an alternative to Stroud's, not for cue, suggested by friends in the know. Have you been to Q39, Buddy?

I haven't been to Q39, but Mrs. Roadhouse visited once with friends.  She said the 'Que was good, but a little pricey.  However, their Fried Smoked Chicken has me considering them for the Thursday night welcome dinner for next spring's KC Crawl.  I wasn't looking at Rye as a Fried Chicken candidate, but might check them out during our annual Christmas visit to KC.

Regarding that trip,and bringing the thread back to BBQ, I'll also be checking out Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ (long time on my list, somehow never paid them a visit), Jones' BBQ (visited once several years ago, then they lost their lease.  Now they're back in new location), and Ricky's Pit BBQ (just recommended by a local 'Que expert).  All are strong possibilities for the Crawl.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 662
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 23:28:10 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
1bbqboy

I haven't been to Q39, but Mrs. Roadhouse visited once with friends.  She said the 'Que was good, but a little pricey.  However, their Fried Smoked Chicken has me considering them for the Thursday night welcome dinner for next spring's KC Crawl.  I wasn't looking at Rye as a Fried Chicken candidate, but might check them out during our annual Christmas visit to KC.

Regarding that trip,and bringing the thread back to BBQ, I'll also be checking out Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ (long time on my list, somehow never paid them a visit), Jones' BBQ (visited once several years ago, then they lost their lease.  Now they're back in new location), and Ricky's Pit BBQ (just recommended by a local 'Que expert).  All are strong possibilities for the Crawl.

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away the week of the KC Crawl, but if I can, can you, or someone, explain to me a bit about how these crawls work? I can't quite grasp how you can go to so many restaurants in such a short amount of time. And, I know that many of you all know each other very well from years of traveling together. How does a "newbie" fit in, and remember all the names of everyone? I've always been bad with names anyway, and now, at 67, it's even harder for me. I've also always been a bit of a loaner, so I'm wondering how that would work!

Any thoughts would be helpful. 

David

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8049
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/03 23:55:38 (permalink)
Davidsanders
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away the week of the KC Crawl, but if I can, can you, or someone, explain to me a bit about how these crawls work? I can't quite grasp how you can go to so many restaurants in such a short amount of time.

Sharing is caring.  You can always find people wiling to split a plate or meal several ways, which really makes a difference toward the end of the day.

Davidsanders
And, I know that many of you all know each other very well from years of traveling together. How does a "newbie" fit in, and remember all the names of everyone?

Don't worry about it; you'll catch on quick enough and no one will fault you if you draw the occasional blank.  When in doubt the shoulder tap, sleeve tug, or "Roadhouse!  You %^&@!#*" will solve the problem.

Davidsanders
I've also always been a bit of a loaner, so I'm wondering how that would work!

It would work very, very well.  I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for some Stroud's chicken and LC's rib tips today.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/04 00:20:58 (permalink)
David,
I'll gladly answer all these questions, but in an effort to not divert this thread any more than it already is, I think maybe it would be better to do it in the KC Crawl thread.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/04 01:49:14
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 662
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/04 00:57:11 (permalink)
Should I go ahead and ask the question directly in the KC Crawl thread?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/04 01:27:17 (permalink)
No need.  I'll take you there right now.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2016/10/04 01:47:17
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/04 13:10:03 (permalink)
I used to eat at Danny Edwards when it was DT. Haven been to the new one.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/04 14:00:09 (permalink)
Although I've been to both, I've never eaten at either.  Couldn't get into the old, smaller location the one time I went.  I stopped by the new location one late afternoon on a whim and found out they're strictly a lunch operation; only open until 3pm.  Hoping to adjust my timing to fit theirs when we visit over the Holidays.

Buddy
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/09 17:07:05 (permalink)
Mom and I ended up getting take out out from Smokin' Guns (http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/). My nephew works with a member of the owners' family in a gun repair shop. The meat was fantastic. We tried the burnt ends, brisket ribs and pulled pork. I thought the sides were just average.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/09 18:02:54 (permalink)
We also experienced highlights and low points at Smokin' Guns, making for an overall average experience.  We'd been trying to get over there for quite some time based on recommendations and exultation from friends and relatives.  Unfortunately, I think all the hype had us hoping for more.  Everything was good, but not great.

Buddy
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/11 09:30:43 (permalink)
In my younger days, we really didn't care about sides. Pretty much the choice was between frozen and fresh fries. Cue joints back then were distinct from soul food places.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 708
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/12 08:43:00 (permalink)
When in KC we usually go to Jack Stack, Oklahoma Joe; Bryant's....my wife likes Jack Stack the best, as it is the nicest, and more of a real "restaurant" rather than a joint.   It IS very good.   Lately, I'm thinking that Joe's has had the best meats....    Still have to try Q39.   Haven't' been to Strouds for a few years; man, that is a real pig out spot; best chicken in the US, IMO.   Oh, and always on a trip to KC, I stop and buy sauce from Zardas to take home.   The barbecue there is OK, not on the same level as the others, but my teenage son just loves their sauce; it's his favorite kind.   It's really good; the original version has a bit of a kick to it, and is not as sweet and thick as some others.   Good stuff!
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2016/10/12 09:47:11 (permalink)
Lotta Zardas in my neck of the woods back then. Dairy ÷other food ventures turned into cue. I agree, good sauce.
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 12:55:30 (permalink)
   While visiting my nephew in KC, my brother wanted us to visit Arthur Bryant's. Since the Roadfooder trip earlier this year had great results there, we went there last Saturday night. Surprisingly, the line was not long at all. Unfortunately, our experience was the worst I have ever experienced at a recommended Roadfood restaurant.
   After owning our own restaurant, both Mom and I know that we can be hypercritical of an establishment. But, I am sorry, the greasy floors and the dust bunnies blowing out of the air vent may seem charming to some, but, an 80-year old woman with a cane like my mother was not amused.
   As for the food, the portions were very healthy in size, but, everything was served lukewarm at the best. I appreciated that AB made homemade fries but, the resulting soggy mess on my tray was atrocious. We had homemade fries at the restaurant so I know that they don't hold up very well, but AB either does not do the traditional twice-frying method or they fry them up too far ahead of time. My burnt ends were chewy and had more sauce than meat. The shredded pork was OK. The coleslaw was obviously made from a bagged slaw mix and had an indifferent-tasting dressing.
   My brother ordered the ribs. After going back twice to get his order, he was informed that somehow his order had been mislaid because someone in the kitchen had cut his finger. Although he received his money back, he was offered no apology or an alternative entree. The one acceptable item was the sliced pork loin ordered by my mother. Although lukewarm as everything else, the meat was tender and flavorful and NOT sauced.
   As for the vaunted AB BBQ sauce, I am definitely in the Negative camp.

We will be returning to KC at the end of October for a conference and my birthday. Is Q39 worth the wait or does anyone have some other suggestions for fantastic KC BBQ?
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5110
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 13:04:36 (permalink)
blizzardstormus,

Sorry to hear about your trip to AB.  Definitely opposite of what we experienced, but, I have heard similar reviews.

Never tried Q39, I would recommend Joe's & LC's.  
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 13:18:50 (permalink)
I really enjoyed my meals at Slap's BBQ and Broebeck's BBQ. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 13:23:00 (permalink)
I  suggest Danny Edward's or LC's those were my two favorites.

I hope to return to Snead's again next year- It's been 7 years but when I  last visited, I really enjoyed it.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5048
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 13:28:20 (permalink)
ChiBears15
I really enjoyed my meals at Slap's BBQ and Broebeck's BBQ. 

If you saw his pictures you would know that's true.

ABs was a good start for me, but the stars were later.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 13:54:18 (permalink)
I must have gone on an off day as I didn't go with the rest of the crew- I thought Slap's was "meh"
cooknchef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 15:17:12 (permalink)
I would suggest making your way down to Springfield (2.5 hours) and trying City Butcher or Whole Hog. KC is a completely different style than what you would find in Springfield and even St. Louis. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 15:39:33 (permalink)
blizz,
I won't try to defend AB's because we've had the same wide ranging up and down experiences noted by others.  To be honest, I was reluctant to include them on the spring crawl for just those reasons.  It's one thing to experience a bad or mediocre meal yourself, imagine if we'd brought 20 of our friends there, singing AB's praises, and it turned out to be crap.  But when you're working with another party to plan an itinerary, you sometimes need to make compromises.

It was hard to argue with CNW's reasoning.  For better or worse, AB's is the single most iconic 'Que Joint in KC, and there was probably some level of expectation from those attending that we make a stop there.  So I bit the bullet and said a little prayer that paid off (not bad for an atheist, eh?).  CNW's plan to get there before they opened was spot on.  We walked in and were first in line, which gave us access to the freshest, best BBQ of AB's day.  The meats were outstanding and the sides were top notch.  It couldn't have been better.  Major kudos to CNW for insisting on making Arthur Bryant's part of the Crawl (I give him full credit, because if it had gone south, I was prepared to dump the full blame on him as well).

As for your other question about where to go when you return in October, almost any of the places mentioned above will be suitable.  If you're going again with your Mom, then SLAPS, Brobeck's, or Danny Edwards will be your best bets.  They all serve quality 'Que and will meet your standards on cleanliness.  Joe's KC will also meet that standard, but I've never been overly impressed with their food.  Also, "an 80-year old woman with a cane" probably won't appreciate the (IMO, unwarranted) long lines at Joe's.  It's been ages since I visited Snead's, but as of that last meal, they served good 'Que in a reasonably clean environment.

Which brings me to LC's.  They are at or near the top of the list among our favorite KC Greasehouses.  Their Burnt Ends are second to none, and as discovered by many Roadfooders last spring, they serve some outstanding Ribs, too.  Our "go to" meal is to split a Burnt Ends Sandwich (yes, it is big enough to share), a pint of BBQ Beans, and a side of LC's fantastic Fresh Cut Fries.  Oh yeah, gotta get a strawberry soda to wash it all down.

HOWEVER, given your displeasure with the lack of sanitation at AB's, LC's will likely leave you just as unhappy.  In fact, the floors there are so slick with grease, it's almost a sure bet "an 80-year old woman with a cane" will end up with a broken hip or worse during a visit to LC's.  That said, if you've got an off site location to sit and eat your meal, a carry-out order from LC's is highly recommended.

That brings us to your final question about Q39.  We finally made it there last December during our annual Holiday visit.  The food ranged from very good to excellent with their Smoked Fried Chicken at the top of the heap.  They take Smoked Chicken, then batter it and deep fry it to a beautiful golden brown.  Brilliantly done, but the only minor downside was, the batter wouldn't stick to the well lacquered skin of the Smoked Chicken.

Other considerations for Q39: This is definitely NOT a classic KC 'Que experience.  These guys are part of a trend to gentrify BBQ for a younger hipp(st)er crowd.  Our service was fine, but you could definitely sense a tone that said, "Are you sure you're in the right place old timer?"  To put it another way, there were way more guys wearing pork pie hats and goatees than baseball caps and full beards.  But they absolutely meet your standards for cleanliness.

Have a great trip!
Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 15:44:18 (permalink)
cooknchef, thanks for your input.  Looking at your other post in the Craft Beer thread, I'll guess you're from Springfield, MO.  Love to hear more about your background.

I get what you're saying about Springfield's 'Que being different from KC.  We experienced the same kind of thing years ago when we toured southern Illinois and enjoyed a lot of Whole Hog BBQ that was more reminiscent of the Carolinas than what we were used to up in Chicago.  So what are the specific differences between the two city's 'Que?

Welcome to Roadfood!  Hope you stick around to make more recommendations.
Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/07/11 15:50:09
1bbqboy
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 16:41:00 (permalink)
Moms love Jackstack. Especially the freighthouse location
Not scary.
Actual restaurants,
not a dive.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: What is the Best BBQ in Kansas City? 2017/07/11 17:15:19 (permalink)
Forgot about Jack Stack.  Yeah, if Mom's comfort and well being are your main priority, they'd be a sold pick.  There's even one out in Overland Park.  Hard to get more mainstream than that.

Buddy
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5