Helpful ReplyHot!What is your favorite apple?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
rudebarb
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: What is your favorite apple? 2017/09/24 11:10:22 (permalink)
Macouns are the best-- no contest
Uncle Groucho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 518
RE: What is your favorite apple? 2017/09/24 11:36:49 (permalink)
Golden Delicious with a shake of salt. I have never eaten a whole apple that I or a friend didn't pick.
Karl
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: What is your favorite apple? 2017/09/24 11:41:11 (permalink)
rudebarb
Macouns are the best-- no contest

Never heard of a Macoun till today. But, as it's a hybrid of the McIntosh and a Jersey Black, I'm willing to bet it would be tasty.
BurghFeeder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/10/22 19:29:05 (permalink)
My go to's are Honey Crisp and Galas.
jaylhorner
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/10/22 20:31:08 (permalink)
+1 for the honey crisp.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6803
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/10/22 23:35:40 (permalink)
The Honeycrisp apple was developed and patented by the University of Minnesota Horticultural Center, just a quarter mile down the road from my home. It was first sold to independent orchards in 1991. Their Applehouse sales building is open in September and October to sell off research production and we stock up since they sell their apples cheaper than what you can get in stores. They also sell experimental apples with no name other than a number and other developed apples such as Zestar, Sweetango, and Frostbite. 
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2683
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/09 11:49:26 (permalink)
Eleven MILLION Cosmic Crisp (TM) trees will be planted in the 2018 growing season. The trees were grown this past season, and will be transplanted into final growing spots in March and April. This is a big gamble on an apple that few have ever tasted. Biz majors of my generation learned about the "product life cycle", which even then was getting ever shorter for new products. We were being taught about manufactured goods, but now, IMO, it applies to apples. Lots of Honeycrisp trees, just coming into full production, will be pushed into second tier status, or folks who took a big gamble on Cosmic Crisp will take big financial hit.

I've never tasted Cosmic Crisp. Maybe there will be samples at a trade show that I plan to attend next week. The trees planted in 2018, will under professional growing conditions, start to bear a few apples in the fall of 2020, and reach the size to carry a good crop 2 or 3 years later. Almost all are being planted on fully dwarf root stock in a  push for early production.  www.cosmiccrisp.com 
post edited by tmiles - 2017/12/09 11:54:56
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/09 12:17:03 (permalink)
tmiles
Eleven MILLION Cosmic Crisp (TM) trees will be planted in the 2018 growing season. The trees were grown this past season, and will be transplanted into final growing spots in March and April. This is a big gamble on an apple that few have ever tasted. Biz majors of my generation learned about the "product life cycle", which even then was getting ever shorter for new products. We were being taught about manufactured goods, but now, IMO, it applies to apples. Lots of Honeycrisp trees, just coming into full production, will be pushed into second tier status, or folks who took a big gamble on Cosmic Crisp will take big financial hit.

I've never tasted Cosmic Crisp. Maybe there will be samples at a trade show that I plan to attend next week. The trees planted in 2018, will under professional growing conditions, start to bear a few apples in the fall of 2020, and reach the size to carry a good crop 2 or 3 years later. Almost all are being planted on fully dwarf root stock in a  push for early production.  www.cosmiccrisp.com 

I do know Honeycrisp are amazing apples!

Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/11 10:08:10 (permalink)
My favorite is Baldwin.
Can't get them hare in Florida but I was born in Connecticut in the 1930's and they were very common.
Like so meany other products the heirloom varieties are rare now.
Things like strawberries and tomatoes,ect are grown now for long storage and size,not flavor.

tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/23 13:14:08 (permalink)
Heartburn
My favorite is Baldwin.
Can't get them hare in Florida but I was born in Connecticut in the 1930's and they were very common.
Like so meany other products the heirloom varieties are rare now.
Things like strawberries and tomatoes,ect are grown now for long storage and size,not flavor.

The Baldwin is actually an outstanding storage apple. You don't see it much because it stopped making money for growers. Most retail orchards around here have a few Baldwin trees for folks who seek them out, and trees are still available for people who want one for the back yard.

At a recent winter meeting a speaker spoke on the topic of profitability. It is generally accepted that the "average" apple, here in New England has a growing cost of about $20 per bushel "in the bin". (picked but not graded), and the need is for growers to find apples that will give a return above that. The number applies to both wholesale and retail growers. Retail guys get more, but they have high selling costs.

Honeycrisp (aka Moneycrisp) sells profitably. Nice ones at my local Walmart are about $2.50/lb. Macs, Delicious, Golden Delicious, Empires, Gala, and Cortland are .99/lb. The Honeycrisp are easier to grow, and yield better. What would you be planting?  Not that long ago, Delicious was the profitable apple, then came Gala. Honeycrisp came along and beat them all. HC was thought to be an apple developed by careful breeding, but recent DNA testing shows it to be different than thought. Somehow, a speck of "wild" pollen got into the system, and got us a very happy result. The DNA testing was done in part to see what the heck makes this apple so great. It has something weird going on with leaf color. A Honeycrisp leaf on a healthy tree is blotched with yellow, and looks very unhealthy, yet the apples look great. HC itself, is now being used in breeding programs.

We will see what the newer apples do. I sampled the new Evercrisp at the same trade show, and it is very good, but IMO below Honeycrisp. It is more hard than crisp, and does not have that wonderful breaking snap that is in my experience limited to Honeycrisp. Who knows what Cosmic Crisp will do? I don't actually know any unbiased person who has tested it. I signed up to field test a new apple variety, HH 502, at the same show. If accepted, I'll still have to pay for the tree, but will get early experience. If the accepted growers like it, it will eventually be named and released to the trade. Even if the new Cornell apple is great, though, I doubt that I'll plant more, due to my age. UPDATE 9 Jan I've been accepted to buy one tree "for test purposes", and it has been added to my order at Wafler Nursery in upstate NY. 
post edited by tmiles - 2018/03/18 11:30:54
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6803
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/24 12:50:34 (permalink)
Honeycrisp was developed through extensive breeding if not careful.  

The University of Minnesota's Horticulture Research Center developed the Honeycrisp. http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/apples/apple-varieties/  It is just down the road 1/4 mile from where I now live. They have an Apple House retail center where they sell their apples from late August to November 1. Honeycrisp is their number one apple but they sell Sweetango, Zestar, Frostbite, Snowsweet of which they are from Honeycrisp variants I think for the most part. They also sell experimental apples with nothing but a code number. They are kind of interesting. They go way back in that they released Haralson in 1923, Fireside in 1943 and Keepsake in 1978. The very first winter apple to survive Minnesota winters was developed in 1868 on property we previously owned 6 miles away in Tonka Bay that was once part of the Minnesota State Fruit Farm. That was the Wealthy apple developed by Peter Gideon. He named it for his wife. You can still get Wealthy apples at the Apple House.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3243
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2017/12/25 18:37:32 (permalink)
https://evercrispapple.com/about-evercrisp/

I used to be nuts about Honeycrisp but now
that EverCrisp has come along they are my favorite apple - a hybrid between a Honeycrisp and Fuji apples.

They will be available for a bit longer locally at http://www.countryfreshbeechmont.com/
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2017/12/25 18:41:49
kellyon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2018/01/05 05:44:23 (permalink)
Honeycrisp, they are the best!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2018/01/05 09:49:17 (permalink)
http://www.pinkladyamerica.org/about/

We found these last season in our Costco. they're amazing. If you see them give them a try. Anyone but me tried these?
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2018/01/07 09:57:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leethebard 2018/01/07 10:34:07
leethebard
http://www.pinkladyamerica.org/about/

We found these last season in our Costco. they're amazing. If you see them give them a try. Anyone but me tried these?

I like "Pink Lady" (tm). The name is a trade mark for "Cripps Pink" apples, marketed by a growers group. It is one of the apples known as a "club apple" in the industry. I understand that retail stores are not especially receptive to club apples, but IMO it is just a biz thing. Stores want the best apples cheaper, and growers want to create demand for higher priced apples...........just the free enterprise system at work. Evercrisp is also a club apple, but with an open membership, I consider it more of a marketing agreement than competition limiter. Cosmicrisp is under very tight club control. "Lady in Red" a redder version of CrippsPink/Pink Lady looks to be an easier club to join.

From my viewpoint as an observer , imported Pink Ladys seem to have a floor price that they don't go below, but they seem to be getting less shelf space. The trade press says that "new" apples, from large operations have been profitable over the last few years, and plenty of investment money is available to the industry. The little guys do fine with direct sales, and the mid size 300 acre guys are in trouble because they are not big enough for partnerships with Wall Street money. Ripping out 100 acres of trees and replacing them with Cosmicrisp can cost about $4 mil. An independent grower often can't do that on his own.
post edited by tmiles - 2018/01/20 21:08:24
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: What is your favorite apple? 2018/01/07 10:10:20 (permalink)
Davydd............... The very first winter apple to survive Minnesota winters was developed in 1868 on property we previously owned 6 miles away in Tonka Bay that was once part of the Minnesota State Fruit Farm. That was the Wealthy apple developed by Peter Gideon. He named it for his wife. You can still get Wealthy apples at the Apple House.

Winter hardy apples have not been a big deal for a few years, but this winter we are having a "Minnesota winter" in much of the country. It will be interesting to see what if any winter damage hits the fall 2018 crop. 

I have a "Reliant" peach tree, developed at UNH. It is not the biggest, the best tasting, or best looking peach, but it bears every year with the exception of 2016 when we had 7 degree temps at bloom. In 2016 we had zero apples and peaches, but the trees pulled through fine. 

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5