Hot!What is your favorite apple?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2572
2004/10/15 15:37:24 (permalink)

What is your favorite apple?

Apples were one of the original roadfoods, and Jonny Appleseed started out about 20 miles from where I am writing this in Massachusetts. Last weekend at Tower Hill Botanical Garden in Boylston they did a well attended public taste test of antique apples from their Davenport collection. It was very interesting, and people form strong opinions about apples. With modern refrigeration an apple's storage qualities are not as important as they once were, leaving 4 major types of apples in commerce today, cooking, fresh eating, juice and dual purpose. Most apples have more or less use in each catagory. The Roxbury Russett, for example, a premier juice apple, tasted good to me out of hand, and culls from all types of apples can end up as decent cider. BTW if you are on the back roads of New England this fall and can find some Russett cider at a farm stand buy it! You may have to ask. It is often behind the counter saved for regular customers. Enough of the BS.....my favorites:
Eating out of hand, Macoun (only in it's prime, it can go out of condition fast), Gala, Pink Lady, eastern golden delicious.
Cooking, for pies and apple crisp, Macintosh. For baked apples or other baking where you don't want the apples to go mushy, Rome or Baldwin. For juice the afore mentioned Roxbury Russett, or a blend including macintosh, red and golden delicious, and a few baldwins and pears.

95 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 16:41:50 (permalink)
    My favorites are Ida Reds and Cortlands. My favorite cooking apples are the very tart Lodis. The Lodis are not pretty so not often seen in stores.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 17:23:59 (permalink)
    Early transparents for applesauce, and apple dumplings.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 17:25:52 (permalink)
    For eating fresh we get Jon-A-Golds, Goldrush, and HoneyCrisp, all subsets of the Golden Delicious. We almost had our first Fuji's this year, but the deer got to them just before we picked them.
    For cooking Grannie Smiths are high on the list, but we have a couple of Rome Beauties that gave us a first few apples this year.
    I haven't had one in years, but remember the tart dense quality of a Northern Spy. I have two Prairie Spys in my little orchard. They are in their third year, so I have a couple more years to go before we see if they equal their New York Cousins.
    A good Southern Apple that looks great and holds well after picking is the Arkansas Black. We have ONE and hopefully it will be producing next season.
    23 of our 45 fruit trees are Apples of various species.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 17:30:27 (permalink)
    Right now in New England, with the dozens of apples to choose from, I cannot get enough of crisp, tart Macouns.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1330
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 17:35:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Right now in New England, with the dozens of apples to choose from, I cannot get enough of crisp, tart Macouns.

I love the apples from New York State. My favorites are Macintosh for eating, Northern Spies for pies, Cortlands for the most beautiful white applesauce you ever have seen and the 20 oz pippins which I think are no longer. I have not seen one in 10 years.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13821
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 17:38:43 (permalink)
    This past week end, I bought Mamaw Smith a Bushel of the Stayman Winesap apples from the Carvers Orhcard when I was with Bushie. these are great for cooking and somewhat for eating. Mamaw Smith makes great apple butter. I gave Bushie someof Mamaw Smith's apple butter to take home. Bushies bought the Arkansas Black which are known for being a firm apple and holding until spring.

My personal for eating is the golden delicious. I bought these several times in Washington State which produces the best apples in the USA.

Apples are proudced in the eastern part of Tennessee and western North Carolina but they are not the quality being able to purchased in Washington.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 18:42:55 (permalink)
    When I lived in Chicago, I'd look for Criterion apples every fall. Perhaps they don't store well, as it was a short season. I remember the boxes said "Washington State." I have never seen them here in San Francisco, and I ask, but never get an answer. If you see Criterions, buy and enjoy!
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/15 18:49:23 (permalink)
    Sundancer:

I am sorry you cannot partake of our Massachusetts apples. One purveyor nearby grows dozens of varieties for all purposes. I love Washington State apples, but this is a time of the year in New England I simply cannot get my fill (perhaps because they are just so fresh. My wife son, and I pick our own, so I must say that we probably eat as many in the orchards as we bring home. Sadly, though, winter was much too cold here, and we had no peaches -- something I'm sure you had a surfeit of down there!
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 01:14:07 (permalink)
    Macouns and Empires for local apples, but when I find Pink Ladies, I buy as many as I can eat. And I can eat a lot.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 02:41:02 (permalink)
    Cortlands get my vote
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 03:05:53 (permalink)
    We just now got in some Honey Crisp... wow.. my new fave.. prior to this it was Ginger Gold and Gala...
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 08:13:11 (permalink)
    St. Lawrence, Talman Sweets, Empires, Wealthys, Smoothies, and the great pie maker Northern Spy
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 11:40:03 (permalink)
    We live here in apple country Massachusetts, and I second the russet cider, we buy as much as we can get, freeze it and have it over the winter. For the best in this area, Bolton Orchards (Rt 117) has the best but you have to watch for it.
    That reminds me... I better go look
    For eating- in season Macouns and applesauce- Mutzu? I think is the name

Off to the orchards!
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 12:29:54 (permalink)
    Granny Smith, red delicious, winesap, arkansas black, and gala.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 13:04:45 (permalink)
    Macouns get my vote for eating out of hand. And Cortlands and Romes for pies, etc. Our N.E. CT apples are hard to beat!
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 441
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 16:32:43 (permalink)
    Macintosh grown here in the Champlain Valley of New York State and (I suppose) from orchards on the Vermont side of the valley too.
    Wally
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 17:03:07 (permalink)
    Wally, others would say that the best Macintosh are grown in Worcester County Massachusetts, although we don't grow many anymore. The Mac is a wonderful apple when it is picked at just the right time and stored with care. It is also an apple that tends to drop just as it reaches peak, and for that reason many are picked too early. That in part explains why the ones you get at a roadside stand, direct from the farmer tend to be great, and the ones at the supermarket may be not so good. Empire, a macintosh type apple came about to cure the mac's problems. Supermarket empires, mostly from the empire state of New York can be excellent.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 18:42:44 (permalink)
    Tart and juicy: Jonathan, followed by McIntosh, Empire, Granny Smith. Nothing beats a Jonathon picked right off of the tree.
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/16 19:09:58 (permalink)
    For applesauce it is hard to beat the Hoss Apple as it is known in East TN. It is also known as the Haas apple. It is very old, Mom has two trees in her yard that her father grafted for her about 50 years ago.

I second the Arkansas Black as a good all around apple, keeps very well also.

My favorite is the Mutzu sometimes called Crispin.

Paul, you need to make a trip to Mercier's Orchard in Blue Ridge, GA. They grow as good an apple as you can obtain anywhere.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 12:17:50 (permalink)
    If you want to try most of the apples listed in this thread, Red Apple Farm off RT 2a in or near Philipston Massachusetts sells them by the pound, mix and match. I bought 1 each of about a dozen types a couple of weeks ago. I wish that I could tell you to come to my own Tainter Hill Farm in Millbury, but it has been closed for years. The orchards that are left in Massachusetts have learned to cater to the retail trade, and I doubt that you could find a bad one.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 12:21:05 (permalink)
    Tower Hill Botanical garden in Boylston also sells antique apples on a mix and match basis subject to a very limited supply. If you grow your own, they are a leading source of scion wood to graft your own tree of one of many forgotten apples.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 16:23:37 (permalink)
    The Johnny Appleseed of American myth was a far different person in real life. He was a go-getting promoter of his own several business enterprises in the midwest. As apart of his self promotion he used to give away little packets of apple seeds with his name - a sort of business card of the era. He was a succesful nurseryman, grafting, cultivating, and selling apple and other fruit trees. He was a land speculator who seemd to have a fine feeling for being just one step ahead of the settled areas with land ready to sell to new emigrants to his area.

The apple seeds he gave away would probably sprout and grow into an apple tree if anyone wanted to go to the bother. The problem with apples is that every seed of every apple of every variety will give you a brand new variety of apple. Some will be large, some small, some bitter, some sour, some sweet, some red, some yellow, some with odd shapes and bizarre colors. You might get a really great apple from a seed, but the chances are about one in a million. Some 19th Century orchardists routinely planted seeds and grew new apple varieties trying to hit the jackpot, but few succeeded. However, during the 19th Century dozens of new varieties came on the market from those few lucky plantings. All modern apple trees are grafted on a sturdy hardy rootstock . Any new varieties are created by professional laboratories like Cornell University using recently developed genetic techniques.

End of lesson for today- once a teacher always a teacher...

Cheers, John

ps: If any of you scientific types out there know the technical term used to describe the strange way in which apples mix up their genetic code in their seeds, I'd very much appreciate re-learning it.
    I used to know it, but I've lost it and can't find a reference source to
    find it again.

SJ
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 16:39:38 (permalink)
    John,
    Not sure of the code you desire...But Stark Brothers Nursery in Missouri sells rooted cuttings from a tree planted from Johnny Appleseed seeds. Apparently the genealogy has been documented enough for some sort of historical record of the evidence. Not even sure what specie Apple that is, but they say it is "very limited supply".
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 19:09:46 (permalink)
    I really like the Pink Lady variety...it sort of tastes like pink lemonade, and it doesn't oxidize (turn brown) as quickly as other varieties.

Just saw the Honey Crisp variety today at the store...can someone describe these to me? Thanks much!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 19:13:50 (permalink)
    HoneyCrisp according to the catalog is an outstanding dessert apple. Mild Sweet flavor. We have picked them at a nearby U-pick here in Indiana and thought they were better flavor than Golden Delicious. Better for eating fresh than cooking.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 19:15:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Mr. Mayor! Sounds yummy. Will have to try them once I finish the bag of apples in my fridge!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/17 21:54:06 (permalink)
    Mr Mayor: Apparently one of those one-in-a-million varieties that produced a good apple.

Cheers, John
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/18 08:21:07 (permalink)
    For the early apples, I like the Ginger Gold, but they don't last long. I like them when they are still tart. In early September, we like the Jonagold, then in late September and October, the Stayman Winesap can't be beat. During the winter, I usually buy the Granny Smith for cooking. My sister says the Honey Crisp is good, but I haven't tried them.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: What is your favorite apple? 2004/10/18 10:49:27 (permalink)
    as a kid,I loved stayman-winesaps,but have not seen them in a long time(I live in Tampa)....I like Fuji's and Cortlands now and also eat granny Smiths,which I love for their tartness.....there are very few apples I would not eat,if any at all
    The British Composer,Gerald Finzi,was a real apple enthusiast,owning orchards(personal use) in which he cross-bred all sorts of apples(what a great hobby)...he once stated that he could identify about 150 different types of this marvelous fruit,I don't doubt it for a moment.
    perhaps Al-The-Mayor or the sainted lleechef would be kind enough to give us a apple-product recipe.....please?
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5