Helpful ReplyWhat to feed Chinese teen-age girls?

Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4144
2017/12/01 12:41:32 (permalink)

What to feed Chinese teen-age girls?

We will be hosting two teen-age girls (as part of exchange program) in January.  Does anyone know what foods would really please them?  My first thought is to do  just my regular meals but I don't want them to go hungry .  Does anyone have any ideas?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8055
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 13:48:27 (permalink)
They might be interested in trying the Americanized versions of the foods they're already familiar with, and on the flip side it could be an opportunity for you to pick up some tips on cooking authentic Chinese dishes.  Hopefully you'll all have a chance to work together in the kitchen.

Personally, I'd look at keeping food group ratios fairly close.  For example, if their meals at home are heavy on vegetables and lighter on protein I wouldn't be handing out queen cut prime rib right away.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 13:50:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2017/12/02 11:45:58
Feed them regular American food, Roadfood, even. You're likely not prepared to fix real Chinese food, like they're used to and they may well be looking forward to sampling American fare. Most exchange students, even teens, are eager to sample what their host countries have to offer. You could also ask them when they get there, if there are any American treats they might be longing to try. Shoot, introduce them to BBQ or MD seafood. I bet they'd love either.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5312
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 14:33:09 (permalink)
I know this doesnt answer your question, but the first thing I'd want to know were I in your circumstances was if either has any food allergies......
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11522
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 16:03:37 (permalink)
Hamburgers and fries!
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5110
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 16:48:09 (permalink)
Pizza! 
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 18:12:50 (permalink)
Breakfast for dinner!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3009
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 19:43:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/12/02 07:38:18
I wouldn't worry about them going hungry. I would bet these teens will have a lot of respect for our culture and will  want to try our foods. I wouldn't try my had at Chinese food, that just may have them looking at it and wondering what the heck it is. I think the seafood thats different than they could get in China would be great. Blue crab and soft shell crab may also work also fresh fish. Make sure you have chopsticks on hand......Good luck...........P.S. take them to Chubby's, that should be a cultural shock. 
post edited by pnwchef - 2017/12/01 19:45:28
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/01 21:12:38 (permalink)
from my daughters experience, (not oriental but raised and lives in Asia), when visiting long term she craved fresh veg  and fruit and was given way too much processed food to the point she would cook some meal and do shopping herself.

From my experience
Congee is common for breakfast and depending on what you normally have you may want to check and see if that is more at home for them, as breakfast usually is a dish that you like to have something familiar and congee is about as far as you can get from a western type breakfast.

lots of steamed rice and very flavorful side dishes to pick and choose from is common.

Your guests may be too shy to tell you what they want so early on I’d plan to take them shopping so they can plan a meal and see if what they come up with is similar to what you’ve been serving and take if from there.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5710
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 11:47:27 (permalink)
Better have plenty of good rice on hand.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3474
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 12:31:56 (permalink)
I ask you if you went to China, would you thank your hosts if they served you Mickey D's, Papa John's and KFC? I'm 100% on board with Root-Beer Man.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4144
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 12:39:00 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
I ask you if you went to China, would you thank your hosts if they served you Mickey D's, Papa John's and KFC? I'm 100% on board with Root-Beer Man.

I don't serve this to my family so there is no chance that I would serve it to our guests.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3474
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 12:43:11 (permalink)
Greymo
MilwFoodlovers

I don't serve this to my family so there is no chance that I would serve it to our guests.

I took a German printing press repairman out to a bar that had many German beers. He ordered an Old Style, something I didn't drink if they were free. "Why" I asked him. He said he wanted to drink "foreign beer".
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5710
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 12:49:24 (permalink)
Personally, I would think these girls would soon tire of "American" (fast or slow) food and want to eat some good Chinese meals. Determine if they are Mandarin or Cantonese and then try to find Chinese restaurants in your area that are culturally compatible with what they're used to at home. Hey, they may just want pizza and burgers!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5802
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 13:22:45 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
Greymo
MilwFoodlovers

I took a German printing press repairman out to a bar that had many German beers. He ordered an Old Style, something I didn't drink if they were free. "Why" I asked him. He said he wanted to drink "foreign beer".

This brings to mind our pub experience in Ireland.  All the locals were drinking Bud long necks.  Only the tourists were drinking Guinness.  I reckon "exotic" is in the eye of the beholder.

Buddy
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11500
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/02 17:06:48 (permalink)
I had Taiwanese friends who served congee to guests before we all left to their son's wedding.

Think of it as rice gruel.  The one I ate had dried fruit in it.

Maybe oatmeal would seem familiar to them?

IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/03 09:22:07 (permalink)
Just remembered -- when I went to work in Tokyo for a few weeks, our hosts took us out for lunch on our first day, to a Chinese restaurant.  The next week they took us out for sushi.  In the meantime we sampled Japanese fare on our own, but also found a Mac's, a BBQ rib chain, a pizza, a ham and cheese sandwich, and Italian.  IOW we were adventurous, but also longed for our own cuisine.  Alas our cuisine in a foreign land was well below par. As to what Chinese teenage girls would prefer, I have no idea, but maybe a compromise might be Vietnamese or Japanese or maybe even Indian.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6702
Re: What to feed Chinese teen-age girls? 2017/12/03 15:13:49 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Feed them regular American food, Roadfood, even. You're likely not prepared to fix real Chinese food, like they're used to and they may well be looking forward to sampling American fare. Most exchange students, even teens, are eager to sample what their host countries have to offer. You could also ask them when they get there, if there are any American treats they might be longing to try. Shoot, introduce them to BBQ or MD seafood. I bet they'd love either.

pnwchef
I wouldn't worry about them going hungry. I would bet these teens will have a lot of respect for our culture and will  want to try our foods. I wouldn't try my had at Chinese food, that just may have them looking at it and wondering what the heck it is. I think the seafood thats different than they could get in China would be great. Blue crab and soft shell crab may also work also fresh fish. Make sure you have chopsticks on hand......Good luck...........P.S. take them to Chubby's, that should be a cultural shock. 

Some sage advice above - especially the part about taking them to Chubby's!

My 2 cents: 

1)  Simply ask them what they are 'looking forward to'.  Chances are this will include pizza, burgers, fries, ice cream, and fried chicken.

2)  Locate your nearest Asian groceries and invite them to cook some things they like.  You're going to learn as much from them as they will from you.

3)  Take them to a food court like the one at the Inner Harbor and let them forage.

4)  They will probably be a bit surprised at the sheer number of Chinese restaurants and that they are literally everywhere.  Do a little research and identify a few that offer 'real' Chinese dishes off 'special menu's, just in case a little homesickness occurs.  And I'm sure that they will be both amused by and like some of the Americanized offerings.

5)  And for goodness sake, treat them to G&M!

Bottom line, like pnwchef, I wouldn't worry about teen aged girls from anywhere going hungry.
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5