What would you name your own restaurant?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/12/07 02:50:02 (permalink)
In the Midwest in the 50s I always saw places that were only identified by a neon sign that simply said "EAT".Years later I thought that would be a cool restaurant name,and sure if somebody didnt use the idea in Baltimore a few years back.although i think they did it smugly as is so common with the kitschy oh-so-precious crowd that owns so many of the dining venues nowadays.I miss the days of the grill man and the hash-slingers and the waitresses with the little cap and apron.It wasnt high style in those days,it was just down to earth dining.So whatever I called my restaurant it would be minimalist in that respect.
My Grandma,one of the great home-stove cooks,would have benn great running a breakfast and lunch place.She minded not a whit firing up the gas range at 5 AM and cooking for 8 straight hours.I talked to her about starting a small place,and she smiled sweetly thinking about it but she was just too old by that time.So in her memory,if I ever opened a joint,it would indeed be called "Mom's".And no,there would be no salads or quiche or low-carb meals served there.Every table would receive a big bowl of milk gravy that a spoon would stand up in.Whether you asked for it or not.And fried potatoes too.No grits tho.
Bill
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/12/07 05:29:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

When I was living in France, I wanted to open an ice-cream shop on Rue St. Jacques called Frappe la Rue Jacques -- Or Hit the Road Jack.

My absoulute favorite was suggested by my wife. I offer it here with apologies. It's a vegetarian feminist restaurant -- Vegina.

Oh, great name, but the French would've gotten lost in the nuances and not appreciated your well thought-out humour. Where in France? I lived there 7 years.

The name of my restaurant would be The Black Cloud because after 20+ years as an executive chef, that's exactly what they ALL are........one giant BLACK CLOUD hanging over your head 24/7.

P.S. lleechef will NEVER open her own restaurant and is happy to be in semi-retirement now with the biggest decisions of the day being: what's for dinner, what cocktails shall I fix before dinner, what time are we going to ski or snowmachine (in the winter), what time are we going down to the boat (in summer), when are we going camping (all year round).....you get my drift. And NO I do NOT miss the restaurant business!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/12/07 07:27:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef
[br
The name of my restaurant would be The Black Cloud because after 20+ years as an executive chef, that's exactly what they ALL are........one giant BLACK CLOUD hanging over your head 24/7.

P.S. lleechef will NEVER open her own restaurant and is happy to be in semi-retirement now with the biggest decisions of the day being: what's for dinner, what cocktails shall I fix before dinner, what time are we going to ski or snowmachine (in the winter), what time are we going down to the boat (in summer), when are we going camping (all year round).....you get my drift. And NO I do NOT miss the restaurant business!!

Spoken like a true vet! I know that i have many great memories from my days in the pro-kitchen world, but i have to agree with you. One day my brother in law suggested that we open a dinner house---he had the money and i'd do the kitchen. I informed him that first off---85% of them die in 8 mos(or at least change ownership) and that i personally had no desire to spend 22 hrs a day working!!!One does not own a resteraunt---it own YOU! If i ever do open one again it will have about 10 or 12 seats--be open when i want to and serve what i want to eat and close when the 20 meals or so that i cooked are gone.Name??---hmmm--think i would take a hint from the NoName!---no name-no advertising-no posted hours!
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/12/07 11:05:30 (permalink)
lleechef:

I lived outside of Paris, about 10 miles south of Euro-Disney, but spent most of the time in Paris, which I call the Buenos Aires of Europe.

There was watering hole near the Sorbonne with a great name: Mort Subit -- or Sudden Death, named for a Belgian Beer. If they sold ice cream, it might be Custard's Last Stand.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/12/07 17:42:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

lleechef:

I lived outside of Paris, about 10 miles south of Euro-Disney, but spent most of the time in Paris, which I call the Buenos Aires of Europe.

There was watering hole near the Sorbonne with a great name: Mort Subit -- or Sudden Death, named for a Belgian Beer. If they sold ice cream, it might be Custard's Last Stand.

I lived in the north on the Belgian border for 4 years (great beers), then in St. Mande, out by the Bois de Vincennes for 3, then Brussels for 2. This was during the late 70's, early 80's when France was still French, not like now, with McD's, take-out pizza, shopping malls and mediocre food.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1507
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 00:34:11 (permalink)
MY FANTASY RESTAURANT: I won't tell you all their names. I'm keeping that under wraps, just in case.

But my fantasy restaurant is actually three restaurants sharing a three-story structure, in Vermont, on a lake. It is no more than 30 yards from the road. Each restaurant has lakeside dining outdoors, in season, via patio on first, balconies on 2nd and 3rd.

On the first floor is a fast food joint, specializing in Italian Hot dogs, but also featuring a rotating array of regionally indigenous fast foods: i.e.-Chicago hot dogs one month; Poutine another; Philly Cheese steak another, etc.

The purveyors are guest chefs, flown in for that purpose, paid to teach the permanent staff the ins and outs of each regional favorite.

On the 2nd floor is an unpretentious, value oriented, calico dining cloth, family restaurant, featuring down home, finger-lickin, stomach fillin, American favorites...solid three course meals. Steak, meatloaf, chicken, Vermont Turkey (of course), ham...you get the drift. Primarily pies and cobblers for dessert, baked in local homes, naturally.

Now, take the elevator to the 3rd floor and behold Affectations. Here, we put on the dog and make no bones about it. The chef is French, with a slight Italian accent. But, while it is white glove, no nouvelle portions here. No, Monsieur.

You pay good; you eat good. It's pate de fois magnifique. So if it's your kid's graduation and you want to impress Aunt Ida from Idaho who flew in for the little shaver's big day, it's Affectations for you.

Wait'll she tells the gang back in Willow Bend how good Sonny Boy's doing..."Ooh, and the desserts Madge..you should see the desserts. We ate on the terrace...what a beautiful view, and the crystal stemware...I'm telling you Madge. But y'know, the owner himself stopped by to say hi and wish Bobby congratulations and he seemed just like the most down-home fellow you'd ever want to meet. And he knew our Sonny by first name."

Hey, if you're going to fantasize, fantasize.
The Bear

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 02:56:20 (permalink)
Hello All,
ScreenBear, thank you so much for rediscovering this thread!
I live in a valley that has many creeks and small rivers, but
the mountains (small compared to the Rockies) are around us.
I would like to have a riverboat restaurant, serving different
things on different parts of the boat, from seafood to fast food
to family food to whatever works.
I would call it..Water Dreams...no, that stinks. Names are hard come up with.
Dogtown.. no, that doesn't work.
Ghirardelli's Delight, no, I'm not Italian.
Names are complicated.
Got it..._"McKing Burger Waffle Place on the Creek With Food That Makes You Less Hungry"
Ahh, gotta work on the name.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 08:43:54 (permalink)
I've always joked that I'd like to open a place called "Sandy's International House of Potroast" because I have encountered variations of this dish in several countries: Pot a Feu in France, Hutspot met Klapstuck in the Netherlands, Sauerbraten in Germany. I've also found recipes for: Rostensky Dusene Na Zelenine (Czechoslovakia)and Pieczen Wolowa na Dziko (Poland). Does anyone know of other international potroast variations?
mousec
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 09:04:15 (permalink)
Came up this concept last week, a Chinese restaurant that serves no peanut products so that those who are allergic can enjoy Chinese food. For example, the food would only be stir fried in vegetable oil and there would no peanuts in the Kung Pao.

I have decided to name this establishment, Wang's No Nuts. My tag line would be, "There is no Kung in our Pao".
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 12:27:10 (permalink)
I just noticed, this thread started back in 2003....Are we bored?
Happy Holidays to everyone!
(and I dare to say MERRY CHRISTMAS too!)
ScreenBear
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 14:57:13 (permalink)
Bored? What's that?
I have never ever been bored. I am always hungry. I have been without money. I have been without love. But I have never been bored. I guess that's a good thing.
The Bear
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 16:53:30 (permalink)
i'd name it Guiltfree Cafe as i did in the 90's no red meat, no frying, just good home cooking that's good for you
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 17:55:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Bored? What's that?
I have never ever been bored. I am always hungry. I have been without money. I have been without love. But I have never been bored. I guess that's a good thing.
The Bear

Ha, Have you ever lived in Maine?.. Boring...Thats why I am moving to South Carolina... 3 months is too much for me....
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 18:18:15 (permalink)
phat phils phun phood phactory
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 18:18:22 (permalink)
The Chips Shop.
trudyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 18:26:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

My daydream is of a little breakfast/lunch place and call it "Chat 'n Chew."

Donna
Incredibly enough, that was the name of the student run dining service in my high school at The Dalles, Oregon 35 years ago.
ScreenBear
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 19:05:19 (permalink)
I've been to Maine a few times, but on vacation in summer. I prefer Vermont. However, I don't care for winter weather anywhere.

I don't like cold, though I don't dislike it as much as I abhor snow. If it could only snow on the ski slopes for the skiers and on the lawns for the kids to play and build snowmen...that would be fine.

But I don't want it on the roads. I like a good dry road. I like to drive, and need to know I can get in my car and drive to The Coast on a moment's notice. I never do. But I have to know I can.

About boredom. My sister is 9 years older than me, so I was kind of an only child. Hence, I just found ways to not be bored. I have other plagues, I imagine, but bored isn't one of them.

Now, I may be boring...but that's another subject.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/24 22:18:20 (permalink)
I've been to Maine a few times, but on vacation in summer.

THATS THE ONLY TIME TO GO!
LOL
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/26 13:56:39 (permalink)
Y***S OFF Island Grille.
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/26 16:30:53 (permalink)
I would name mine "Henry Potters" and use an owl and a broom stick as my logo. Kids would be screaming for their parents to pull off the freeway.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/26 18:01:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

I would name mine "Henry Potters" and use an owl and a broom stick as my logo. Kids would be screaming for their parents to pull off the freeway.

Good marketing ploy until she runs out of things for "harry" to do in her books, make the money and run!
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/26 19:45:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

My daydream is of a little breakfast/lunch place and call it "Chat 'n Chew."

Donna

There's a restaurant by that name in Hardin, Montana. Kind of an unappetizing visual.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6028
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/26 20:21:51 (permalink)
I'd call it "Diner".
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2005/12/27 16:51:55 (permalink)
Being a hardcore Meatetarian, I have always thought PETA or People Eating Tastey Animals. perhaps Just Meat, or a play on that like the Butcher Shop however there is a local Steak House that is called the Butcher Block but not quite the same thing. It could be taken in another direction such as the, No Rabbit Food Restuarant.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2006/01/05 14:24:17 (permalink)
I would have a restaurant that serves "slider" type burgers, and call it "Sliders" - Slide on into Sliders. Maybe have a slide in the restaurant where people could slide on. A lawsuit waiting to happen?
Oh well, we can all dream.
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2006/01/05 14:54:03 (permalink)
My SO has always longed to open a place called Just Desserts, featuring... guess what?
A buddy and I have been plotting to open and hopefully franchise an establishment called Skipper McSchitties Gravy Bar and Grill. We'd have a nurse on duty at all times and a defribulator at every booth instead of those old fashioned little juke boxes.

Vayo con Queso
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5