What would you name your own restaurant?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 144
  • Joined: 2001/12/21 07:15:00
  • Location: Parsippany, NJ
  • Status: offline
2003/07/09 06:20:24 (permalink)

What would you name your own restaurant?

Many many people dream of opening their own place. What would you name your own place? My love of the philly cheesesteak convinced me to develop a restaurant concept that can be licensed to others.
I have federally registered the trademark and slogan for my concept.
TOMMY B'S PHILLY CHEESE ("So Delicious ... It Rhymes!")

My menu is simple: "Philly Cheese" which is a genuine south philly cheese steak, made with rib eye steak, onion, amoroso rolls, and of course the choice of white american, provolone or cheese wiz.
the "Tommy Junior" is the child's version of the cheese steak.
"Tommy Taters" are delicious thin cut, skin on french fries.
"Tommy B's Chocolate Freeze" is an ice cold chocolate shake, not too thick, that goes down perfectly with a "Philly Cheese".
The combo of a cheese steak and chocolate freeze is ordered by saying "GIMMEE A CHEESE AND A FREEZE ! "

Anyway, Tommy B's Philly Cheese launches on Tuesday Sept. 30th...

Another concept that I worked on years ago, was for a Rib joint,
that we were going to name "The HOG BONE SALOON", and boy we were going to have some wonderful Ribs...or, Hog Bones!

What would you name your own restaurant? Thanks for sharing!

Tommy B
#1

85 Replies Related Threads

    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    • Joined: 2003/05/22 10:02:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 10:12:52 (permalink)
    I would name mine "Joyful Lee's" (after my mother), and it would be a combination of a "meat and three" dining house as well as top notch sandwiches and salads, like "Lady and Sons."
    #2
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    • Joined: 2003/06/14 17:31:00
    • Location: New York, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 10:32:09 (permalink)
    There is a pizza joint in Cincinnati called "No Anchovies". They don't have anchovies, as you can probably guess, and they knew that anchovies are one of the most despised foods in America, so they were banking on folks reacting positively to their negative.

    I happen to love anchovies, not only on my pizza, but also in a wide variety of dishes and sauces. In the hope of attracting serious eaters who revere the salty creature, I would optimistically call my restaurant simply "Anchovy". The food would be eclectic with Italian red sauce leanings, and I'd offer plenty of dishes without anchovies too. Would anyone patronize such a place? Who'd stay away based solely on the name?
    #3
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1416
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 11:31:41 (permalink)
    Where are you launching Tommy B's Philly Cheese?
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy B

    Many many people dream of opening their own place. What would you name your own place? My love of the philly cheesesteak convinced me to develop a restaurant concept that can be licensed to others.
    I have federally registered the trademark and slogan for my concept.
    TOMMY B'S PHILLY CHEESE ("So Delicious ... It Rhymes!")

    My menu is simple: "Philly Cheese" which is a genuine south philly cheese steak, made with rib eye steak, onion, amoroso rolls, and of course the choice of white american, provolone or cheese wiz.
    the "Tommy Junior" is the child's version of the cheese steak.
    "Tommy Taters" are delicious thin cut, skin on french fries.
    "Tommy B's Chocolate Freeze" is an ice cold chocolate shake, not too thick, that goes down perfectly with a "Philly Cheese".
    The combo of a cheese steak and chocolate freeze is ordered by saying " GIMMEE A CHEESE AND A FREEZE ! "

    Anyway, Tommy B's Philly Cheese launches on Tuesday Sept. 30th...

    Another concept that I worked on years ago, was for a Rib joint,
    that we were going to name "The HOG BONE SALOON", and boy we were going to have some wonderful Ribs...or, Hog Bones!

    What would you name your own restaurant? Thanks for sharing!

    Tommy B
    #4
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    • Joined: 2003/03/14 07:01:00
    • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 12:03:08 (permalink)
    I would call mine Good and Hot and feature lots of fiery spicy foods!
    #5
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 895
    • Joined: 2002/06/12 16:27:00
    • Location: Nashville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 15:44:37 (permalink)
    With apologies to Margaret Mitchell, the "Caveat Emptorium"...
    #6
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    • Joined: 2002/12/07 16:32:00
    • Location: Seattle, WA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 16:04:06 (permalink)
    I've pondered opening my own joint, shamelessly modeled on Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House, although I've also considered the variation of individual entrees with table sides. I've always thought that, in my case, despite it being for the gregarious person who wants to eat family style, I'd call it Miss Anne Thrope's Fine Foods, after my alter ego.

    Eric, Irascibly.

    #7
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1111
    • Joined: 2003/03/12 22:03:00
    • Location: Wilmington, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 17:40:13 (permalink)
    If I could have done this a few years back (& I seriously considered it) I thought I would call it "Karen's Kitchen". It would be in a small town's center & be open for breakfast & lunch only. The food would be basic comfort food, bacon, eggs, pancakes & waffles for breakfast - burgers and sandwhiches (hot & cold) for lunch.
    #8
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    • Joined: 2003/06/28 18:59:00
    • Location: Milwaukee, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 17:47:16 (permalink)
    "Tightwad Treats" would be a no-frills diner type of place with good food at blue-collar prices.
    #9
    frank n. burger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2003/06/11 18:07:00
    • Location: pottsville, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 17:52:11 (permalink)
    just read a review of a new restaurant opening in philly. it is a barbeque place called " the smoked joint". great name!!
    #10
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2953
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/09 17:54:05 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, but I would take Caveat Emptoreum and Miss Ann Thropes as words to the wise and steer way clear. Of course, that would please Miss Ann to no end.
    #11
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    • Joined: 2002/12/07 16:32:00
    • Location: Seattle, WA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/10 12:51:34 (permalink)
    Elise, you'd *always* be welcome at Miss Anne Thrope's Fine Foods.

    My family is in the hospitality business, and I'm in scientific instruments. . . .coincidence? I think not, after I suggested starting a facility with cottages stocked with breakfast goodies that you could deal with yourself, marketed as a "Bed-And-Get-Your-Own-D(arned)-Breakfast".

    Eric, Curmudgeonly
    #12
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23298
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/10 14:45:38 (permalink)
    Well, for a place in Columbus, Ohio I'd name it Cowtown Diner.
    #13
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2953
    • Joined: 2001/07/11 13:25:00
    • Location: L.A, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/10 16:29:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

    Elise, you'd *always* be welcome at Miss Anne Thrope's Fine Foods.

    My family is in the hospitality business, and I'm in scientific instruments. . . .coincidence? I think not, after I suggested starting a facility with cottages stocked with breakfast goodies that you could deal with yourself, marketed as a "Bed-And-Get-Your-Own-D(arned)-Breakfast".

    Eric, Curmudgeonly



    I certainly hope you are not insinuating that I am not an anthrope! As for the B&GYODB, I would love to stay there. I am a notoriously late sleeper, so for once I wouldn't miss breakfast.
    #14
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    • Joined: 2003/05/23 20:55:00
    • Location: Milwaukee, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/10 22:48:33 (permalink)
    I'd like to open one of those goofball eateries in an abandoned warehouse and call it "The Helena Handbasket Company."
    #15
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    • Joined: 2001/12/21 07:15:00
    • Location: Parsippany, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/11 07:27:17 (permalink)
    Cheesewit, Tommy B's will be launched Tuesday September 30 in Florham Park NJ. I am doing "Philadelphia Theme Days" in corporate dining facilities for the first 6 - 9 months, and then, God wiling, Tommy B's will be signed to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom.
    The folks at Dorney (owned by Cedar Fair) loved the entire concept!, but because it was just that, a concept, they did not want to be the first ones to operate a Tommy B's. Also, I have so much interest from so many friends, many of whom have more money than I will ever have, and one is a developer in Myrtle Beach SC, another in the Pocono Mountains and the Lehigh Valley PA. But, I have them all on hold until I do my "Roadshow" for the next 6 - 9 months. The "Philly Theme Days" are going to be a lot of fun !
    Tommy B's Philly Cheese is the centerpiece, and then we offer other indigenous menu items, such as "soft pretzels", "tastyKakes",
    and we give away prizes to any customer who comes to lunch wearing something "Philadelphia"... My goal from the very beginning was to have the "Tommy B's" branded concept endorsed (and bought) by a multi-concept, multi-unit franchise developer, the folks that put in food courts at malls, colleges, sports stadiums, etc etc. My logo is so cool, the menu is so delicious...
    I know good things are going to happen. The cheesesteak is a great sandwich, around since the 1930's, and "Tommy B's" will work hard to reproduce the most authentic south Philly experience for any and all patrons. Ever since I was a kid, my grandmother would take me shopping in downtown Allentown PA, and then we would go to "The LOOK Steak Shop" on 6th St., and I would get a cheese steak, fries and coke, and those memories stuck with me through the years. Then, in 1986, in Matamoras PA, I leased a place for the summer season, and we put cheese steaks on the map! I had a walk-up window, and people were ordering cheesesteaks like I just invented them or something.
    But then after that stint, I got into professional Food sales, but the idea to do a cheese steak concept never faded away.
    Finally in 1995, my daughter and I (I was a single dad), began brainstorming for a name, a slogan... and then after 2 years
    of 18 hour days, the concept was finalized and ready to go. Well, as life would have it, many other things demanded my time, energy and $$$, but now it's time. I'll keep you posted, and I'll save you a Tommy B's hat...maybe one day it will be a collector's item!
    #16
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/11 08:00:02 (permalink)
    TommyB: Good luck. In my opinion, the restaurant business is the hardest business to be in. To be successful requires more than a good product, unbelieveable hard work, location, good service which encompasses a wide range of things such as cleanliness, stability, consistency, etc. In addition, you have to be a good salesman where people come more than just for food, they come to identify with you and to frationize.

    I admire your tenacity

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #17
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    • Joined: 2003/02/12 20:19:00
    • Location: Milwaukee, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/12 00:23:03 (permalink)
    I had a dream...of opening an Asian noodle shop called Decision Noodle. I even wrote up a pretty cool menu, but things have worked out differently for me (oops - how did I become a bartender, mommy, after all those years of college???).

    I always thought it would be cool, too, to have a place called Comfort. Everything would be roadfoody, like awesome lumpy real mashed potatoes, cheesy hash brown casserole, brisket, baked mac & cheese, hamburger pie, pudding, and anything else really homey and nostalgic.
    #18
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 806
    • Joined: 2003/05/28 11:17:00
    • Location: Howardsville, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/15 19:22:51 (permalink)
    I'd call it McDonaldses's and serve Kiet Doke.
    #19
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    • Joined: 2003/04/23 11:11:00
    • Location: Russellville, AR
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/15 19:59:52 (permalink)
    I'd have a tea shop, called "The Elizabethan". Can't imagine how the locals would pronounce it...
    #20
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 869
    • Joined: 2003/07/03 17:48:00
    • Location: Clemson, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/17 20:53:44 (permalink)
    A combination sushi house/comedy club..."ChopSchticks!"

    A combination Meat and 3/ German Beer Hall..."Y'all Come Boch now!"

    I'll stop now, I promise.
    #21
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1416
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/17 22:30:16 (permalink)
    I wish you the best! I would love to be there for the launch. A Tommy B's hat would be treasured. Way to go!
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy B

    Cheesewit, Tommy B's will be launched Tuesday September 30 in Florham Park NJ. I am doing "Philadelphia Theme Days" in corporate dining facilities for the first 6 - 9 months, and then, God wiling, Tommy B's will be signed to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom.
    The folks at Dorney (owned by Cedar Fair) loved the entire concept!, but because it was just that, a concept, they did not want to be the first ones to operate a Tommy B's. Also, I have so much interest from so many friends, many of whom have more money than I will ever have, and one is a developer in Myrtle Beach SC, another in the Pocono Mountains and the Lehigh Valley PA. But, I have them all on hold until I do my "Roadshow" for the next 6 - 9 months. The "Philly Theme Days" are going to be a lot of fun !
    Tommy B's Philly Cheese is the centerpiece, and then we offer other indigenous menu items, such as "soft pretzels", "tastyKakes",
    and we give away prizes to any customer who comes to lunch wearing something "Philadelphia"... My goal from the very beginning was to have the "Tommy B's" branded concept endorsed (and bought) by a multi-concept, multi-unit franchise developer, the folks that put in food courts at malls, colleges, sports stadiums, etc etc. My logo is so cool, the menu is so delicious...
    I know good things are going to happen. The cheesesteak is a great sandwich, around since the 1930's, and "Tommy B's" will work hard to reproduce the most authentic south Philly experience for any and all patrons. Ever since I was a kid, my grandmother would take me shopping in downtown Allentown PA, and then we would go to "The LOOK Steak Shop" on 6th St., and I would get a cheese steak, fries and coke, and those memories stuck with me through the years. Then, in 1986, in Matamoras PA, I leased a place for the summer season, and we put cheese steaks on the map! I had a walk-up window, and people were ordering cheesesteaks like I just invented them or something.
    But then after that stint, I got into professional Food sales, but the idea to do a cheese steak concept never faded away.
    Finally in 1995, my daughter and I (I was a single dad), began brainstorming for a name, a slogan... and then after 2 years
    of 18 hour days, the concept was finalized and ready to go. Well, as life would have it, many other things demanded my time, energy and $$$, but now it's time. I'll keep you posted, and I'll save you a Tommy B's hat...maybe one day it will be a collector's item!
    #22
    TANFANRN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Joined: 2003/03/12 02:16:00
    • Location: BELLEVILLE, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 01:23:47 (permalink)
    A COZY PLACE CALLED, "SOUP'S ON." I MAKE DOZENS OF DIFFERENT POTS OF SOUP. IN THE FALL IT WOULD BE CHOWDERS AND OUR FAVORITE-CREAM OF WINTER SQUASH SOUP. SUMMER-COLD CUCUMBER OR GAZPACHO. WARM BREAD AND SWEETS AVAILABLE ON THE SIDE.
    #23
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    • Joined: 2003/06/14 17:31:00
    • Location: New York, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 04:52:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TANFANRN

    A COZY PLACE CALLED, "SOUP'S ON." I MAKE DOZENS OF DIFFERENT POTS OF SOUP.


    What would you do if Elaine Benes discovered all your recipes hidden in an old armoire?
    #24
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1416
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 06:52:52 (permalink)
    Kangol...just for that, No soup for you!
    #25
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    • Joined: 2000/07/03 09:50:00
    • Location: ,
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 10:27:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by frank n. burger

    just read a review of a new restaurant opening in philly. it is a barbeque place called " the smoked joint". great name!!


    A brilliant marketing ploy......the restaurant's name gives you the munchies.
    #26
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 10:38:22 (permalink)
    I would not know about that

    Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #27
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23298
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 12:25:46 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot, I always wanted to have a place called Michael's Sushi and Bait Shop.
    #28
    cre8tv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2003/07/18 14:37:00
    • Location: Bridgeport, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 14:43:41 (permalink)
    Well, I love to cook (and eat); my husband loves jazz, so I'd call it "EATS N BEATS".
    #29
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23298
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What would you name your own restaurant? 2003/07/18 16:25:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Oh, I forgot, I always wanted to have a place called Michael's Sushi and Bait Shop.


    Whoops! Make that Michael's Bait Shop and Sushi Bar.
    #30
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5