Helpful ReplyWhat's sooo bad about Waffle House

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/07 23:56:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MrKing.net

if you dont like smoke, dont eat there.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Calif that attitude would be the kiss of death for a restaurant. Smoking isn't
very popular round these parts.
MrKing.net
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/08 00:54:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt
I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Calif that attitude would be the kiss of death for a restaurant. Smoking isn't
Thats ok. California isnt the food mecca either. lol

ALL the best foods come from the South.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/08 07:20:20 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

You mean things like green beans with bacon fat, grits, hoe cake, sausage gravy, BBQ, etc.
Quartz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/08 10:25:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:

quote:

You mean things like green beans with bacon fat, grits, hoe cake, sausage gravy, BBQ, etc.

If I wanted Soul Food (which I'll agree is in my top 5), the South would be the place.

However, the European and American branches of food all came from the North (Midwest and Northeast). Asian Food came from both the West Coast and East Coast (mostly West Coast Geographically).
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/08 20:11:11 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Can't disagree with that last statement. Good thing about being in California, so many people from other regions have moved here we get a pretty good sampling of what they ate back home, with the added benefit of no %$^#@$*& cigarette smoke in the air. Although pork tenderloins certainly could do with better exposure round here.
MrKing.net
Hamburger
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/09 02:51:29 (permalink)
If you want a Tenderloin Sandwich, you better get to the Midwest, and if youre a conniseur of Brain Sandwiches (believe it or not) the Mecca for that is Evansville Indiana.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/10 08:08:46 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't disagree with that last statement. Good thing about being in California, so many people from other regions have moved here we get a pretty good sampling of what they ate back home, with the added benefit of no %$^#@$*& cigarette smoke in the air. Although pork tenderloins certainly could do with better exposure round here.

Florida enacted the Clean Indoor Act years ago. Some municipalities are now banning smoking at ballfields, parks, etc, any facility owned and operated by them.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/23 00:54:43 (permalink)
What would be so terrible if they used real butter packets for their waffles! The product is decent...that's all.

You guys want to try an incredible breakfast pancake? Go to IHop and get their Cream of Wheat pancakes. If you like them, tehre are several recipes that duplicate it on the internet.
tooslimnc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/25 22:11:14 (permalink)
I used to live in the Atlanta area, its a joke but true...there seems to be a Waffle House at every exit off every highway. And I didn't want to eat at any one of them. Too dirty, too greasy, and late at night the clientele can be too weird.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/25 23:23:38 (permalink)
Never been to Waffle House but I would,until poster above says they dont give you butter? This has been my big gripe with Bob Evans,Is it true? That "buttery flavor spread" is not worth squat.
People keep telling me that Bob Evans will give you butter on request,but more than once I have asked "can I please have butter" they say "sure you can" then they proceed to bring me "Buttery flavor spread",with a big obsequious smile.Thats just plain not right.And I cannot blame it on Bob's passing,its been going on for at least 5 years.I guess they think its a big joke,but I'm not laughing-or eating breakfast at Bob Evans (or WH,apparently)
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1361
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/26 14:33:58 (permalink)
The thing I don't like about Waffle House is the crowd. The last three times my husband and I have tried to have breakfast there (granted, it has been on a week end around 10 o'clock) the wait has been prohibitive. We leave and go elsewhere, even though I love the raisin toast and hash browns with onions.
They must be doing something right to be that crowded.
KOK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/26 15:41:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Billfish
Never been to Waffle House but I would,until poster above says they dont give you butter? This has been my big gripe with Bob Evans,Is it true? That "buttery flavor spread" is not worth squat.
People keep telling me that Bob Evans will give you butter on request,but more than once I have asked "can I please have butter" they say "sure you can" then they proceed to bring me "Buttery flavor spread",with a big obsequious smile.Thats just plain not right.And I cannot blame it on Bob's passing,its been going on for at least 5 years.I guess they think its a big joke,but I'm not laughing-or eating breakfast at Bob Evans (or WH,apparently)
I recently ate at Bob Evans' and they served "butter spread" which I didn't need for meal. After we got the bill I asked about butter and she said they will serve it on request (seemed sincere). I will ask for some next time to see what happens.

P.S. Love the Waffle House for the hash browns - scattered, smothered covered ........

Thanks,

Kevin
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/26 19:06:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mbrookes

The thing I don't like about Waffle House is the crowd. The last three times my husband and I have tried to have breakfast there (granted, it has been on a week end around 10 o'clock) the wait has been prohibitive. We leave and go elsewhere, even though I love the raisin toast and hash browns with onions.
They must be doing something right to be that crowded.

DUH?????
Waffle House is open 24/7/365. There are 168 hours in a week. You were there at the busiest hour of the 168! The only other hours that come close are Friday and Saturday nights after the bars close. What do you expect, reservations??
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1361
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 13:44:17 (permalink)
Don't be so snippy.
I go at that time for the same reason everybody else does.
Did you miss the line about "doing something right"? I was not being critical of Waffle House; I was commenting on their popularity.
jann1033
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 14:22:06 (permalink)
we ask for and get butter at Bob evans every time we go( NE Ohio) but the waffle house ( rt 90/44, also ne ohio) is horrendous, filthy, food slopped on the plate and hanging off the edges, expected cigarette butts to be hidden somewhere under the mess the cook/servers was so dirty...really was thinking of trying one in the south just in case it's the franchise but probably won't from the comments here
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23196
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 17:30:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jann1033

we ask for and get butter at Bob evans every time we go( NE Ohio) but the waffle house ( rt 90/44, also ne ohio) is horrendous, filthy, food slopped on the plate and hanging off the edges, expected cigarette butts to be hidden somewhere under the mess the cook/servers was so dirty...really was thinking of trying one in the south just in case it's the franchise but probably won't from the comments here

The Waffle House restaurants in Northeast Ohio are owned by the same woman who owns them for most of the states of Ohio and Indiana. I've been in at least 20 of the Waffle House restaurants her company owns and I've never seen one that bears the slightest resemblance to what you describe. By the way, considering the fact that smoking is illegal in all restaurants in Ohio I can't help wondering why you would expect the cooks and servers to be even have cigarette butts to put in your food. Why you would suggest that any of them might wish to do so is another story.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1527
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 17:59:23 (permalink)
How long has it been illegal to smoke in restaurants in Ohio?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 18:17:25 (permalink)
The statewide ban went nto effect last December, but enforcement did not begin till May 3, this year.
MrKing.net
Hamburger
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 21:26:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The statewide ban went nto effect last December, but enforcement did not begin till May 3, this year.
remember when America was Free ?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/27 21:32:24 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

remember when America was Free ?

Yep. It's the one thing I miss about restaurants in Ohio -- and especially Wafle House restaurants. I stopped smoking early in 1994, but I do miss others smoking around me.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/28 19:57:00 (permalink)
Waffle House will only sell franchises to their own people who have had multi-unit management experience. Great way to retain and provide incentives to employees.
they're also a privately held corp.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/28 20:06:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Waffle House will only sell franchises to their own people who have had multi-unit management experience. Great way to retain and provide incentives to employees.
they're also a privately held corp.

The woman who owns the Waffle House restaurants in Ohio and Indiana started as a waitress in the Atlanta area while in college. She worked her way up to a unit manager, then a district manager, a regional manager, and then she bought her franchise -- with company help.

Oh, and one of restaurants is the busiest one in the entire chain, plus several others of hers are in the top ten.
Pdasilva0324
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/29 09:53:43 (permalink)
The ones closest to me in Columbus, Ohio only take cash, but usually have an ATM machine inside. Their best product is the waffles..a good waffle is a good waffle, chain or no chain.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/09/29 12:44:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pdasilva0324

The ones closest to me in Columbus, Ohio only take cash, but usually have an ATM machine inside. Their best product is the waffles..a good waffle is a good waffle, chain or no chain.

I believe all the Waffle House restaurants in the Columbus area take credit cards now. At least, the ones I go to take them, and they're all owned by the same person.
Doozie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/09 22:13:17 (permalink)
The one in my town, (Roanoke Va.) is a dump. It's one of the last refuges of the chain smokers. Also, something is wrong with their AC system. Whenever they turn it on, it blows air so hard that your food gets cold, and the napkins literally blow off the table.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4247
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/09 23:37:44 (permalink)
I can tell you a story that will make you sit up and take notice of the Waffle House. My five year old granddaughter loves the Waffle House and I will drive 30 miles to take her to one.

We drove there last week and, miracle of miracle, there were two seats at the counter. She was thrilled as she loves to watch them cook and crams her neck to watch every move.

She exclaimed several times on how she loved to watch them crack the eggs so fast and was really excited watching. The grill cook must have heard her because he cracked open an egg which had a double yolk and showed it to her. She had never seen this before and could not believe her eyes. He proceeded to cook it "sunny side up" and presented it to her with a flourish. Was she ever thrilled. It was a grand experience and it shows one how Waffle House is so differnt from other chains. We love it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/10 15:19:13 (permalink)
I never met a Waffle House I didn't like!
kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/10 21:20:52 (permalink)
"I never met a Waffle House I didn't like!"

Too bad you didn't visit the one on South Blvd. in Charlotte before the Health department shut them down permanently.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/12 11:37:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Doozie

The one in my town, (Roanoke Va.) is a dump. It's one of the last refuges of the chain smokers. Also, something is wrong with their AC system. Whenever they turn it on, it blows air so hard that your food gets cold, and the napkins literally blow off the table.

Sounds terrific to me. Lots of smokers, powerful air conditioner, and you dislike the place so much you won't be there.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1527
RE: What's sooo bad about Waffle House 2007/11/12 11:49:59 (permalink)
I went in this morning for a waffle and sausage. Waffle was great, sausage was thin and fairly tasteless. Place was pretty dirty for 10 am. Decided I don't like sitting at the counter, too crowded to eat and read the paper.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 11
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5